parts from online a good or bad idea?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
coltleader

parts from online a good or bad idea?

Postby coltleader » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:57 pm

My husband is the new owner of a used 1997 Goldwing and he really wants to fix it up and make it rideable. In order to get it to operate, he needs to get some certain parts for it. We want to know if anyone has ever bought parts online. Is it a good idea? We were searching last night and came across <website deleted> but since we have never bought anything online, we were hoping to hear from someone who has. Would they even have parts for a 1997? If you have any recommendations or advice please let me know! He wants to get the project started ASAP. Thanks.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: parts from online a good or bad idea?

Postby trike lady » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
I've ordered parts from them and have had no problems.
If you're looking for OEM replacement parts may I suggest www.hondapartsnation.com
What type of parts do you need? We can point you in the direction of where to get them.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 pm

IMO the best place and, from what I have found, the cheapest place, to buy after market and OEM Goldwing parts is from Cyclemax. Along with excellent service and reasonable shipping they just can't be beat. I've tried others but now I just go to Cyclemax.

http://cyclemax.com/

Standard disclaimer applies. I have no affiliation with Cyclemax. I'm just a satisfied customer spreading the word.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:44 pm

I buy parts all the time on line some new some used.(ebay) I alway read very carefully and check sell rating. I never had a problem with any of them.. Some times I sell parts too . Most people sell GOLDWING part want the same as you a good part and a good price.. SALLY :mrgreen:

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Buying used parts online is a risk. Some places have a good reputation, others not so good. Private sellers , most are ok , but you have to check them out as best as you can. I have had good luck and found honest people to deal with, but be careful.Good luck with the new to you Wing, hopefully it will not need a lot to get rolling and provide you with a lot of great memories.
Proud member Patriot Guard

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Postby fysty-1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:15 pm

I have spent thousands of bucks on parts & accesories online. & I have almost exclusively used Pay Pal. I have never had a problem except once and that was UPS & not the supplier. They tried to charge me over double thr total product cost (including shipping) in Bond fees. So I to then to stuff it & called the company & they agreed to reship it back @ no extra cost via USPS. Now I won't buy anything from anyone unless it is shipped USPS. But to answer you quiery. Online buying is the way to go if you want save $$$$. :D :D :D :D :D
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:57 am

I also have been buying parts online for years. I will caution you about one vendor though that has a very bad reputation. "Saber Cycle". They are well known for inferior products and extremely poor service after the sale.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

fysty-1

Postby fysty-1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks DD, I forgot to give that warning. :x :x SABER CYCLE is a NO NOI!!! :x :x
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

coltleader

Postby coltleader » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:27 am

Ok, so after reading your ideas and stuff, I decided it is obviously Ok to search online for parts. I checked out the website you suggested but didn't see what I needed. I think I am still going to check into <website deleted>, but I just haven't had a chance yet. What is the deal with the Saber Cycle place?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:27 am

OK, I had my suspicions about coltleader when they posted the initial message. The way the link to the web site was posted was suspiciously spammy, but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, the reply message they just left was obviously just spamming the same place again, using encoding in the link that made it quite obvious that it was a spammed link, and that they were not actually looking for help. I've deleted coltleader - they joined just a couple days ago, and their only two posts were to this thread, advertising their site.

I have no problem with people advertising their companies. If coltleader had come on and said, "hey, I am affiliated with xxx web site, we sell Goldwing parts, and I'd like you to give it a try," I would have had no problem whatsoever. However, to sneakily come on and disguise linking and advertising as a plea for help, ends up getting your links deleted along with your account.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:20 pm

:lol:YOUR BUSTED :lol:
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

fysty-1

Postby fysty-1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Way to go, GS!!!! You tell em. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Missed that one but I almost never click on linked sites. What were the selling?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

fysty-1

Postby fysty-1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:23 am

They didn't seem to advertize anything. They were inquireing about online shopping but our leader must have seen something that the rest of us didn't. But what I don't understand when Admin says he deleted them as they are still showing on the post. First & tenth post. Anyway thank you Admin for keeping us safe. Angela :D :D :D :D
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani

Bogator
Motorcycle: 1998 valkyrie

Postby Bogator » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:15 am

Heres a site you can trust-----dealercostparts.com------oem parts and other stuff---
GOD BLESS

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:51 am

There's always one in every bunch. Having said that I have bought from several online dealers in the past and will continue to do so when hard to find parts that I can't find locally on craigslist or eBay. I don't really have a local Honda dealer nearby, closest one is Mass ( sales tax ) and they usually have to order parts that takes anywhere from 10 -14 days to get. Then I either have to go back and pick up or wait another 4-5 days for them to ship out and I end up paying double shipping charges. I have had great success on craigslist finding old bikes for cheap and many parts to restore them. In fact I picked up my 79 a couple of weeks ago for $100. Although it's missing some plastics and a seat and a couple of other minor parts, it does turn over and the oil has no signs of water in it and the radiator has a mix of anti-freeze in it. It's currently too cold up here to mess with it right now, but all in all for $100 you can't go wrong looking around and buying things on-line.

fysty-1

Postby fysty-1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 am

Just slightly off subject, but I tried the other day for about 2 hours to find a blow-up of the headlight assembly on my 02 Ford windstar but had no success. I need to find a pic of the HL adjusting pin. I just could not find a parts fiche like the Honda fisch that a lot of us use. thnx Ange
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:04 am

fysty-1 wrote:They didn't seem to advertize anything. They were inquireing about online shopping but our leader must have seen something that the rest of us didn't. But what I don't understand when Admin says he deleted them as they are still showing on the post. First & tenth post. Anyway thank you Admin for keeping us safe. Angela :D :D :D :D

I deleted them, but not their posts - but I removed the link and name of the website they were linking to from those posts.

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:39 am

I have bought off EBay for years. For the most part it is ok. I really have had only 1 or 2 problems with what I have bought. I really depends on what you want to buy on where you would get it. If its a engine or engine parts, read their feed back very closely and their return & warrenty polices :!: I got took on an engine awhile back. Cost me $600+ and then when it started making noise he wanted me to send it back, MY COST and pay to have another one shipped :!: Electrical parts are hit and miss. Most will allow you to return them if they really want their business.... Pay close att. to the shipping cost, that is where they like to make the money on cheaper cost parts. If they won't work with you and someone else in their same area has it with a cheaper S&H cost tell them thanks but no thanks ;)

How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”