Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

How to remove and replace your fairing lowers

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:04 pm

The fairing lowers are two small panels that act as a seal for the radiator, to ensure wind is pushed through the radiator. They also act as vents, venting the hot air out from behind the radiator. They must be removed to access some mechanical and electrical functions, to remove the false tank, and for other reasons.

1. Each fairing lower is held on with three screws - two on the top, and one on the bottom. Each screw has a plastic bushing, which protects the plastic fairing lower from cracking due to pressure from the screw. Unscrew the bottom screw first, then the two top screws. Note that the plastic bushings are different sizes - make sure you don't mix them up! I put them aside, pull the fairing lower panel off, then put the screws and bushings into the panel I just removed, to make sure they stay in their correct places.

2. Once the screws are removed, pull the front of the fairing lower out to the side a couple of inches, then pull the entire panel to the rear of the motorcycle. It will release and come away from the motorcycle.

3. Before reinstalling, make sure the rubber trim is positioned and fastened securely on the front of the fairing lower. This is what makes a tight seal against the radiator, to ensure air cannot leak past. Put the fairing lower into place, back end first. Ensure the retaining tabs hook around the rearmost louver, holding the back of the panel in place.

4. Gently push the front of the panel into place, and secure the top screws, then the bottom screw. The bottom screw screws into a bracket that is attached by a single bolt to the radiator assembly. With time, or particularly if the radiator has been removed, this bracket can move, causing stress to be put on the plastic panel, which will cause it to crack. You may want to ensure the hole in the panel and the hole in the bracket line up perfectly before inserting the screw - and if they don't, move the bracket so that they do.

badwench
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Re: How to remove and replace your fairing lowers

Postby badwench » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:56 pm

What a life saver post. :D Nothing like a photo for me, Just bought a 80 1100 and wanted to pull carbs and main tank. Was able to get the false tank off but not sure how to get the throttle cables off. Will go check other post.
Again, thanks for a great post.

Peer64
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100D

Re: How to remove and replace your fairing lowers

Postby Peer64 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:30 am

Great post!
Even after so many years it still helps a lot to maintain my motor.
As you might now I just bought my GL1100 1982 last december (2014) and I am so glad that post like these are still on the site.
Thank's for that. And for keeping it on the site.

Greetings,
Peer64

Return to “GL1100 DIY Articles”