• Sponsored Links
MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: Derusting Your Gas Tank

Post by MJSantos » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:20 pm

After doing my 83 I wish Honda did leave the drain plug on it. Life would be much simpler.

KurtH
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

Post by KurtH » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:10 am

I'm so close. I can move the tank back and forth, but it seems like it is getting stuck on something on top of the motor. I can't imagine I would have to drop the motor for the tank to come out. I used the "how to remove your rear tire" post, but that only gets the tire off. I haven't see the processs for actually taking the tank out. I had to remove all the wiring harnesses for the battery, the battery framing, the rear brake mount, fuel filter, and a bunch of other little things in between and this peice on the top of the motor is the only place I can see it being held up. My light wasn't that great last night so I am hoping I can brave this 95 degree weather and get a little better insight today. If anyone can think of something I might be missing please shoot me a line. Thanks guys.

KurtH
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

Post by KurtH » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:19 am

I got it figured out. I had put some wood beside the swingarm to keep it from getting bent while I was removing the axle and forgot to remove it. That was keeping the swingarm and the drive shaft raised and the tank was coming out wierd. I tried to vinegar. I let it sit for 24 hours and cleaned it out. Sprayed WD-40 in the tank and swished some clean gas around in it. The stuff coming out is pretty nasty still. The parts that i can see have no rust on them though. I think it worked. Tonight when I get home I'm going to remove the float so I can get a better look.

83gl1100nb
Motorcycle: 83honda GL1100 Aspencade
95 Concours
82 Nighthawk

Post by 83gl1100nb » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

just curious, what type of vinegar did you use? white or cider type? thank you.

WingForChrist
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
2007 Susuki S40(traded)
2006 Honda Rebel(Traded)

Post by WingForChrist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:14 pm

When I cleaned mine I think it was white. Not sure it was the cheaEapest gal jug leotard had

LowellO
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade 1999 Kawasaki Concours

Post by LowellO » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:51 pm

I just purchased my first GL 1500. I now have to decide which way to go, that tank is bad was hoping I wouldn't have to pull it but fuel pump has a lot of rust too. Looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow while I change the oil and put in new battery,bike's been sitting for four years. Should have looked this up before posting my problem. Man this forum's great!

mshawnm109r
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500
2006 m109r
1971cb350
1971 cb175
1980 cb650
1984 kz1100
1982 920 virago bobber
1959 baby dream
1975 tx500
1974 cb500

Post by mshawnm109r » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:01 pm

hey guys,
ive been here for a while but not been active because ive gotten lost with other bike projects however im back with a new goldwing project. i got a 1988 goldwing with a side car given to me. the guy was a vietnam vet and only had one leg. he bought it new and drove it everywhere any way he is losing his other leg due to cancer, and it set up for 15 years.i left work just to help him put in the battery he bought from us( i work for napa)in his pickup truck, and got to talkin about bikes he told me to come and get it. it has set on his back deck for 15 years and his dogs had chewed up the seat and a few fairing pieces. he teared up when i loaded her up and said" please take care of her, theres alot of great times on that bike." i promised that he will see her again and now im on a mission. this is the single most important bike project ive ever done and im in a race against time, for his health is not good.....and im going to keep my promise of taking him riding on it. soooooo yesterday i started this project first thing was to check the gas tank .. tank was structurally great but must have been 4 inches of varnish sludge at the bottom and alot of rust.. well after following the directions here on this tank derusting it worked great and i didnt even pull the tank first off i poured 5 gallons off vinagar in her and let her sit over night. well today used my little 5 gallon shop vac and i pulled the pump and use the shop vac to suck out all the viagar. man it was still aweful in there. then it was washing soda and an assortment of brushes one was even a toilet bowl brush that comes bent in a step up fashsion to fit the top part of the tank perfectly i got a pic of the the pump i pulled out, that thing is bad.any way the tank is perfect now worked all day on it sprayed seafoam deep creep in the carbs throught the fuel inlet line to the carbs and now the pump is soaking in washing soda.more later

il post pic later ive open the drain plug on the oil to empty the oil and change the filter.....more later

LowellO

Post by LowellO » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:22 pm

I actually used the vinegar method and soaked the pump with it. I did shop vac the tank out before though. After having vinegar set for a few hours I dropped baking soda into the tank on two different occasions and let that sit for a couple hours. siphoned it out, more shop vac and pretty nice looking tank and even though I hadn't changed the oil yet I did crank up the bike today for the first time in 4 years, so the Phoenix has risen.

don3
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by don3 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:15 am

There is a safer method of derusting than electrolosis or acids and the remains are sewage drain safe (i.e. can legally be poored down the drain). The method is simple also, just poor a liquid into the tank, rotate as needed, and drain. The liquid is Evaporust and is available at auto part stores, Wal-mart, and various websites. The manufacturers website has the scientific data explaining the process of removing rust. The liquid is safe for metals, plastics, fiberglass, rubber, etc so you do not have to worry about the Evaporust affecting anything except removing rust.

For the record, I do not work for, sell, or profit from any product nor for mentioning the above. This is just to offer fellow wingers alternative methods for removing rust.

bigbusman1
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 goldwing
1989 1600 goldwing

Post by bigbusman1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:28 am

Guys I just read all of your cleanout tips and appreciatethe help,Iamworking on an 82 cb900 custom I found in a yard in arkansas for my wife and the tank is rough

mshawnm109r
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500
2006 m109r
1971cb350
1971 cb175
1980 cb650
1984 kz1100
1982 920 virago bobber
1959 baby dream
1975 tx500
1974 cb500

Post by mshawnm109r » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:54 am

bigbusman1 wrote:Guys I just read all of your cleanout tips and appreciatethe help,Iamworking on an 82 cb900 custom I found in a yard in arkansas for my wife and the tank is rough
hey man those are great bikes.... ive got a friend that sonic cleans the carbs. man mine, for this goldwing project, are great after they were cleaned. he is there in west little rock . this electrolisis really works on the tanks yell at me if you need to know how to set it up. ive got pic coming on my gas tank work just didnt have time yet to post on here.
mshawn

timwingard
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

How much fuel does it take to drain from the Peacock?

Post by timwingard » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:35 pm

I just got a second non-running GL1100 that has been sitting for some time. I am attempting to crank it and the first thing I am doing is removing what little gas remains. I put in one gallon of fresh fuel in the tank but when I turned on the gas peacock,no fuel is flowing out. Does this mean there is a blockage in the fuel tank or do I just need to add more fuel. I don't want to put in any more fuel than necessary since I might end up having to drain and clean the tank.

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Post by D2D » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 am

If that bike has been sitting for some time, I doubt you're going to get anything to come out the petcock but rust & stale gas which will flow into your fuel lines, filter and then the carbs .. Did you look into the tank and check the condition? I'll bet the fuel pick-up lines and screens are coated in rust and blocked. If it were me ( I've been through this twice ) I'd pull the tank and give it a thorough cleaning, then see if water will flow out the petcock before I'd start pouring fresh fuel in it. Last thing you want is garbage in your fuel pump and carbs ..

LowellO

Post by LowellO » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:13 pm

I would say go ahead and pull it and clean it. Better safe than sorry.

tommydog
Motorcycle: 1979 Gl 1

Post by tommydog » Thu May 03, 2012 8:29 pm

What if ya drain plug leaks when ya put it back on ? Man I have the luck! I got it full of vinegar its leakin a lil bit ill check it tomorrow when i get home, can i get another plug if i have to? ty all

jaywing82
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Intersatate

Post by jaywing82 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:35 am

Definitely a rite of passage in my book but so worth it! I was given my 82 1100 Interstate in 2009 from my grandfather that bought it new in 82. It has 27,000 original miles which is great but it has been sitting in a garage since '03 so gas tank and carbs were a must. My screens on the pick up tubes were non existent. As a fabricator I have some tricks up my sleeves, I had pretty substantial rust in the tank. I took a box of 100 1/4x20 grade 5 nuts poured the whole box in the tank and "strapped" it in an industrial 5 gal paint shaker for 30 min rotating it every 5 minutes. When all was said and done I poured all 100 nuts and 2 good hand fills of rust out of the tank. I was surprised to say the least to shine a light down in the tank and the inside looked like it had been sandblasted. I am still going to use metal ready to get it all nice and shinny again. I also used 16awg stripped and flared on one end stuck it down the pick up tubes to where I could see the end of the wire in the tank hooked up my trusty power drill and pulled the trigger and backed it out repeating the process 5 times and it acted like a bore snake and cleaned the tubes. Now with this being said I probably would not recommend any bigger nuts for fear of pinching the tubes. The paint shaker was very heavy duty lagged to the ground it done more in 30 min than I can do in a week worth of shaking by hand but it worked and that was the main part for me cause I was working on a budget. I hope this helps guys sign on to this forum was one of the best things I have done thus far every little bit helps.

95wingnut
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

1982 CB750SC Nighthawk

1982 CB650SC Nighthawk
1982CB

Post by 95wingnut » Tue May 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi I am new to the site,

My way to derust parts and gas tanks cost about $1.49.

Go to Walmart and buy toilet bowl cleaner called the Works $1.49. In about 45 seconds the rust will be gone. I also use it on rusted bolts and hardware during my restores.

aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Post by aznyaz » Fri May 17, 2013 10:51 am

OK, I've been reading up on this process and will probably be going the way of the vinegar soak. I was told to use to use another liquid, Evap-O-Rust but it's something like $25/Gal., and money's tight. I did look in my tank last night and it appears pretty clean except for some spotty rusting so I'm gonna go ahead and clean it while the carbs are off.

So, my big question is what is the best way to drain the gas? There are no drain plugs that I can see. Is it going to be siphoning and then dabbing with some rags? Do I need to remove the petcock and the sending unit and will I need to replace any gaskets or 'O' rings if with removal of either of these items?

Thanks.

MJ

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 am

I've had my gas tank filled with vinegar since Sunday (about 4 1/2 days so far) and was going to drain it today or sometime this weekend. Is there a specific ratio of baking soda solution that I should use and a specific number of times to rinse? Should I mix the baking soda with distilled water and then rinse with distilled water only, then dry?

Thanks.

MJ

NEDan
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Post by NEDan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:04 pm

My question is just how imperative is it to remove the rust asap?
Mine looks pretty bad inside yet the outside is solid. I never see anything floating and the Fuel filter is clear.
I ask your opinions because. the PO put a large inline fuel filter and drove from MA to NC. and back.
The filter is still clean.

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:29 pm

I was told by the carb re-builder that any rust in the tank will find it's way into the carbs. When I dropped them off for the re-build they opened one of the float bowls and you could see a very fine powdery sediment (rust) at the bottom and my filter looked clean.

Admailwiz
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1983 VT500FT Ascot
1972 CB450 K5

Fantastic Article Just Published....Re: Derusting Your Gas T

Post by Admailwiz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:26 am

Jim Townsend has a Short, Clear, Effective How To Article on getting rust out of a gas tank SAFELY and without a LOT of EXPEN$E. It's on Page 45 of the Tech Help Section of the August-September Issue of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Magazine!

This Guy seems to really know what he is talking about, he gives step by step instructions & plenty of how to & safety information and states you will get great de-rusting results using this method (for any motorcycle gas tank).

It involves using Stearns Milkstone Remover & Acid Bath which, when properly diluted, sounds a lot safer, easier and cheaper than many other methods. I wanted to pass it along to help all you Vintage Gold Wing Owners out there; it's really worth getting a copy of the article! :mrgreen:

As far as doing it on a Gold Wing without the hassle of removing the gas tank; my fellow Gold Wing restoration expert, Bruce, here in Northern VA has done the Vinegar treatment to his 1982 Interstate and my 1983 Aspencade (which was about 80% effective) by siphoning out all the gas as well as the de-rust solution & any other cleaning agents and replacing it with fresh new anti-ethanol treated gas. I plan to re-do both Wings, as well as his Nighthawk & my 1974 CB 450 by precisely using Townsend's MSR method over the next few weeks and will let you all know how it goes and if we have any "Tips' to add to this important process!

By the way, you can get the Stearns MSR product at any well stocked farm supply store for less than $15 a gallon & it will make 18 gallons of the "safe" phosphoric acid solution that can be saved to reused to de-rust tanks, tools & parts (including chrome)

Treekiller
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Treekiller » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 pm

I bought Metal Rescue after trying to remove the rust with vinegar and having no success. I placed the tank into a plastic container to catch any spills and filled it with the entire five gallons, wrapped the container in a couple old blankets and placed a heating pad on top our house is a balmy 72 degrees and the product claims to have better results with warmer temperatures. Two days later the inside looks like new.

I was flabbergasted how well that stuff worked and want to tell everyone it was worth every penny, just spend the money, you can thank those of us that have steered you to this product later. This required no work other than giving it a good soapy water wash then rinsed well before putting the Metal Rescue into the tank. I will buy more of this when needed, I am re-using the leftover product to remove the rust from some very old tools now. I will try getting before and after pictures posted in a few days when the camera is handy.

w9r1x4
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade with 2015 CSC Sport Trike Conversion

Post by w9r1x4 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Hey guys...new to me 1992 gl1500 owner...I've done one gas tank restoration before but not on a bike. In 2006 I restored the tank in my 1973 Porsche 914 just before installing a 2003 Subaru WRX engine. I used the POR-15 kit which is specifically for restoring AND sealing the tank when you're done. No rust after that.

POR-15 Fuel Gas Tank Sealer Repair Kit can be found on Amazon for about $90. Not cheap but a permanent fix.

Ed

Patriccio
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing
Interstate: in progress
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Sold

Post by Patriccio » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:27 am

Just checking back on y'all regarding the rust in a gas tank. Last year I bought & used Metal Rescue, & the stuff worked great! (Two others have posted on this product.) It's expensive, but I was able to filter it through some coffee & paint filters for reuse. On my '80 I removed the gas tank, installed about three gallons of Metal Rescue & let it sit for a day or two. I propped the tank in a corner for the product to work one end, then I put the cap on, rotated it & let it set to work the other end. Drain the product & save it; wash out tank w/ soap & water, dry out w/ compressed air. The Metal Rescue saved a lot of time & effort.