Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

How to install Dyna Beads in your tires

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Dyna Beads are tiny ceramic beads that are inserted into your tire, and take the place of wheel weights. Normally, when you balance your tires, small lead wheel weights are clipped or stuck to the wheel rim to compensate for imperfections in the manufacture of the tire. A tire that is unbalanced will create vibration, and will ultimately wear out faster.

Goldwings require a two-ounce bag of Dyna Beads in each tire.

Note: After four years of success with Dyna Beads, I thought I would try Counteract Balancing Beads, and can report that they work just as well as Dyna Beads.

The problem is, when the weights are added, the tire is balanced as of that moment. As the tire wears, it can move more and more out of balance, to the point where it needs to be balanced again.

After hearing good things about Dyna Beads from several sources, I decided to give them a try. The beads are inserted into the tire, and are free to move around inside, dynamically balancing the tire. As the tire wears, the beads move inside to compensate for the wear, keeping the tire perfectly balanced.

Their web site claims the following benefits for motorcycle tires:

• Glass smooth ride, every time, all the time.
  • Dramatically longer tire life
  • No rebalancing
  • No spoke or rim weights
  • Eliminates tire cupping.
  • Easy to install

Sounds good to me. I figured I'd give them a try. So far, I've noticed that the tires are extremely smooth and well-balanced. I haven't had them in long enough to make any claims about tire longevity or resistance to cupping - I'll update this thread as time goes on, however.

1. The beads are inserted through the valve stem, therefore the valve core must be first removed from the stem. To do so, you will need a valve core removal tool. Some valve stem caps, such as this one, have a removal tool built into the end of them - it looks like a little forked piece.

2. Insert the tool into the valve stem and rotate it counter-clockwise to begin unscrewing the valve stem, until air starts escaping.

3. Once air is coming out steadily, remove the tool and wait until the tire goes flat. Don't attempt to remove the entire valve core while there is still air in the tire! It will fire out of the stem like a bullet and fly directly into the darkest, most inaccessible corner of your garage.

4. Once the tire is flat, unscrew the valve core all the way and remove it from the stem.

5. The Dyna-Beads kit comes with an applicator bottle like this:

6. It also comes with the beads themselves. For all Goldwings, the correct size is the 2 oz packet for each tire.

7. Cut the corner of the bead packet and very carefully pour them into the bottle.

8. Cap the bottle and put it aside for the moment.

9. With the valve stem at the 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock position, push the included applicator tube onto the valve stem - I pushed it on as far as I could, as I didn't want the beads escaping anywhere.

10. Connect the bottle to the tube, and begin pouring the beads into the tire. I found that squeezing the bottle does very little, but tapping it with your finger speeds the beads along into the tire. Most of the work is getting the beads out of the bottle - once they hit the tube, they rush straight into the tire.

11. Once the beads are in the tire, reinsert and tighten the valve core.

12. Fill the tire with air normally. That's it, you're done!

A couple of caveats:

• If the tire was put on with gooey bead lubricant, or "tire slime" or other gooey wet substance has been put into the tire, Dyna Beads won't work - they have to be free to roll around inside the tire.
  • When checking the tire pressure, put the valve stem at the 4 or 7 o'clock position, give it a quick blast of air from a tire chuck, then check the pressure. This clears any Dyna Beads that may have stuck inside the valve stem. Otherwise, they could get blown up past the valve core, and stick it open. Dyna-Beads makes a special valve stem filter to keep this from happening, but I figured I was more than capable of working without it.

That's it! If you give Dyna Beads a try, post your experiences as well!

Update, Feb 2013:

I have modified my installation technique, as I figured out a better, faster way of doing it. Here's a video showing my technique:

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Re: How to install Dyna Beads in your tires

Postby robertdawber » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Do you know if the beads can be used if a tire is not new? Say 2K on them?
I wonder if you would need to remove the weights first or if it would matter?
Bob

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:25 pm

The only thing that would keep you from putting them in a non-new tire is if the tire had been installed using goopy lubricant, which was coating the inside of the rim. You could check this by deflating the tire and breaking the bead, to get a look at what the rim looked like, or you could just cross your fingers, and put them in. :)

And yes, once you've put them in, you take the wheel weights off - they take the place of the wheel weights.

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Jeeper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Have you had a chance to ride with them yet? I'm just curious how well they work.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:15 pm

I've put a couple hundred miles on since I've put them in. The ride is extremely smooth, and there is no hint of vibration, even at low speeds. I'm very pleased with them!

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Sat May 01, 2010 10:19 am

I am also please with the Dyna Beads in the tires of my 1500. A few of us went to bike week in Daytona and I had installed a new front tire to be safe. Did the static balance and figure it was good. On the way back I picked up a virbration just above the speed limit. I did the 2 oz in each tire and got rid of the lead weights. Now it is smooth all the way up to the triple digits. I guess I find out about the tire wear, since I have only put 1200 mile on it since install.

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 am

Excellent response and info. Thank you. Pictures of the process are great!!! I will most definitely give them a try at tire changing time. Thanks again.

hogwild43
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda goldwing Interstateit

Postby hogwild43 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:34 am

I jest replaced my Frount and rear tires on my 83 interstate and my Dyna beads are not hear yet looking for them any day now will let you know how thay work out for me.

hogwild43

Postby hogwild43 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:30 am

I put the Dyna Beads in and thay worked jest great very nice ride no shake what so ever. Told everone I know to try them.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for letting us know. I haven't heard of a single person who hasn't loved Dyna Beads. I'm going to put them in my truck when I replace the tires this fall.

hunter27h
Motorcycle: 1 1985 Honda Goldwings ltd trike
1989 GL1500
1991 GL1500 SE

Postby hunter27h » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:42 am

any recommendation as to where to purchase them?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:29 pm

I got mine online - there are many online vendors that sell them at very good prices.

bikerbobw
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing

Postby bikerbobw » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 pm

Where do you buy Dyna Beads ? I would like to try them on my trike.

macka
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Postby macka » Sun May 29, 2011 8:57 pm

ewilberg
Motorcycle: GL1500 1994 SE

Postby ewilberg » Tue May 31, 2011 10:55 am

The Beads are great but not easy to load in a GL 1500 right angle valve! :D
Cheers,
Crash

ewilberg

Postby ewilberg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:59 pm

bikerbobw wrote:Where do you buy Dyna Beads ? I would like to try them on my trike.

I think I bought my from WingStuff website
Cheers,
Crash

hogwild43

Postby hogwild43 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 am

captscotty
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 ABS
2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1991 FLHTC
2014 KTM 350XC-W
2014 KTM 250XC-W

Postby captscotty » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:03 am

Regarding those 90 degree valves...

Just installed on my 2010 1800. Used the installation tube and my air compressor. Slow going, but had to pour about an inch of beads in to the installation tube, and work them in with short blasts of air, playing the back-flow of air like a Stradivarius. If you don't do this just right, your one inch column of beads will 'come back to see ya'! (Just had a divine revelation: Had I broken the bead, the air would have had somewhere to go, and I could have puffed them in much quicker!)

Other way is to induce vibration on the tire as you slowly pour beads down the tube...translated: get the wife to steadily smash the tire with your rubber mallet as you pour. This will show her how hard you labour in the garage to make her rides on the back so comfy. Guaranteed she won't be able to pick up a piece of paper after 45 minutes of swinging that thing!

Overall a pain and slow going, but well worth it. Ride smooth as silk!

ewilberg

Postby ewilberg » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:09 am

Yes that is exactly how I installed the Beads on my bike. It was a slow go but worth the effort!!

captscotty wrote:Regarding those 90 degree valves...

Just installed on my 2010 1800. Used the installation tube and my air compressor. Slow going, but had to pour about an inch of beads in to the installation tube, and work them in with short blasts of air, playing the back-flow of air like a Stradivarius. If you don't do this just right, your one inch column of beads will 'come back to see ya'! (Just had a divine revelation: Had I broken the bead, the air would have had somewhere to go, and I could have puffed them in much quicker!)

Other way is to induce vibration on the tire as you slowly pour beads down the tube...translated: get the wife to steadily smash the tire with your rubber mallet as you pour. This will show her how hard you labour in the garage to make her rides on the back so comfy. Guaranteed she won't be able to pick up a piece of paper after 45 minutes of swinging that thing!

Overall a pain and slow going, but well worth it. Ride smooth as silk!
Cheers,
Crash

Bobog
Motorcycle: none

Postby Bobog » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:43 pm

I added these tiny beads front and rear of my '04 GL1800A at my brother's recommendation. The 90 deg valve stems were not a problem - we just vibrated it and the beads flowed smoothly into the tire in a couple of minutes. We used a large Allen wrench turning slowly in a portable drill because that's all I had in the shop. An engraving tool would probably have been better but they did all go in.

My tires are 50% worn and the bike had a slight vibration at highway speeds. I stripped off the old weights and went for a ride. DynaBeads work as advertised - smoooooth at any speed. :P Thanks Todd! Highly recommended.

Greg :geek:
Greg

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:30 am

Bobog wrote:I added these tiny beads front and rear of my '04 GL1800A at my brother's recommendation. The 90 deg valve stems were not a problem - we just vibrated it and the beads flowed smoothly into the tire in a couple of minutes. We used a large Allen wrench turning slowly in a portable drill because that's all I had in the shop. An engraving tool would probably have been better but they did all go in.

That's funny - when I put the beads in my truck tires, I used the exact same technique - an allen wrench in a portable drill! After the second tire I decided to upgrade my "vibration tool" and bent a piece of coat hanger into a bowtie shape, then shoved the ends into the drill chuck, and used that to "whap" the hose - worked much better than the allen wrench.

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Dyna Beads website told me to use 2oz for the rear and 1oz for the front. Put the rear beads in last night...

Should I be taking the 1oz bag back and getting another 2oz bag?
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:03 pm

Oldbear wrote:Dyna Beads website told me to use 2oz for the rear and 1oz for the front. Put the rear beads in last night...

For the Goldwing, you definitely need 2oz in both front and rear.

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:31 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Oldbear wrote:Dyna Beads website told me to use 2oz for the rear and 1oz for the front. Put the rear beads in last night...

For the Goldwing, you definitely need 2oz in both front and rear.

Thanks.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Pigasus
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD

Postby Pigasus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:22 pm

WingAdmin wrote:So far, I've noticed that the tires are extremely smooth and well-balanced. I haven't had them in long enough to make any claims about tire longevity or resistance to cupping - I'll update this thread as time goes on, however.

WingAdmin, do you have anything new to report since you wrote this article a bit over a year ago? These Dyna Beads seem like the cat's meow, and I keep wondering if there's a downside to using them.

This is a fantastic site, very useful and professional! Thank you for your great articles, and for keeping this forum going. :)

--Pig

Return to “GL1100 DIY Articles”