How to install Dyna Beads in your tires

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How to install Dyna Beads in your tires

Post by Oldbear » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 am

And any reason to go with the glass beads over the ceramic? Or are you just offering to be our guinea pig again...

My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 am

Oldbear wrote:Did you take a picture of the tires before installing them? (Both before the Dynabeads and the glass beads). I wonder how much of that dust is from the mold lines and such inside a tire. Next tire switch I'll try to take some before pictures. You probably lost less than a 1/32" - much like light sanding dust - the inside of your tire is now smoothed and more aerodynamic now... Better fuel mileage :D And I'm all over the glass beads if it turns my tires green - like the website... :lol:
That would have been a great idea, and if I had been thinking straight, I would have done just that. :)

According to the Counteract manufacturer, the benefits over Dyna Beads are less wear on the inside of the tire, less static, and they don't pick up rubber like I showed in the picture. We'll have to wait a couple of years to see whether the wear statement is true. However, I can attest to the fact that they have less static. One of the most trying tasks with Dyna Beads is getting them into the tire - they hold static well, and stick to everything - the inside of the bottle, the inside of the tube, etc. The Counteract beads do not - they flow easily into the tire with no tapping or vibration - just hook the bottle to the tube, give it a little squeeze, and they all flow easily into the tire.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:55 am

Oldbear wrote:And any reason to go with the glass beads over the ceramic? Or are you just offering to be our guinea pig again...
Just trying it to see how they work, so yeah, guinea pig I am. :)

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Post by 2008retiredplb » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Use Centramatic Balancers and you don't have to worry about beads or inside tire wear. I think they make the bike handle much better and because you don't have to change any thing, other than the tires including balancing wheel weights, I think they are worth the price.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:18 pm

I don't mind them on a big rig and trailer, but I wouldn't like the look of them on the wing
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Scanjo
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Post by Scanjo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:38 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
DetroitWingnut wrote:I just bought new tires for my 1980 Gl1100. I am going to use Dyna Beads. What do you recommend to lube tire during install? Should I purchase and install angled valve stems? Why or why not? Would I even be able to find some that fits my ride?
When using manual tire irons, I use Armor All or STP "Son of a Gun" - it goes on wet but dries and stays relatively slippery.

If you're using a tire mounting machine, you can't get away with that - it's not slippery enough. So I use the regular bead lubricant, but I put it on very sparingly, only on the bead, and make sure it doesn't get on the inside of the rim or tire, where it might stick to the beads.

The 1100 doesn't have supports for angled valve stems like the 1500 and 1800 do, so I don't know that I would be too eager to try to install them.
I have to disagree with this statement. You should never use anything to mount your tires that stays slippery after it dries. You want the tire to stick to the rim. If it stays slippery and you hit the brakes, what do you think will happen? The rim stops but the tire is stuck to the road just as it should be and keeps right on rolling. The tire and rim need to act as one unit.

Use something that lubricates when wet but not when dry, such as soapy water. If it's getting sticky before you're done then add more or work quicker.

steve allen
Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha VMax 1200
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Post by steve allen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Just for the knowledge of it, NASCAR uses something like baby-powder to balance their tires.

Keef
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 Aspencade

Post by Keef » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:17 pm

If you got 12,000 miles out of set of tires, I would not complain about notta!!

xatczma
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Gold Wing

Post by xatczma » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:23 pm

I have been using Counteract beads for 14 years in cars, trucks, heavy equipment and motorcycles. You do not get any rubber in the beads like the other brand. I just took off a tire on my pickup that had 45,000 miles and beads still looked good. I bought a huge supply over 10 years ago and the directions on the old bags say to remove the inner bag, that holds the beads and place the inner bag inside the tire. Yes the little thin plastic bag was in the tire when it was taken off the wheel. We have some heavy equipment that travels at 30 mph that we put the beads in the tubes. We use a bulb like device that you add water to battery cells with. We remove the valve from the stem and the tube fits over the stem. We are adding 36 ounces to the tube some we need the large size.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:59 pm

2008retiredplb wrote:Use Centramatic Balancers and you don't have to worry about beads or inside tire wear. I think they make the bike handle much better and because you don't have to change any thing, other than the tires including balancing wheel weights, I think they are worth the price.
Centramatic makes balancers for GL1800 only, where balancing beads work in any tire. Also, a set of Centramatic balancers is $180, where the beads are $30 - and they're reusable.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Scanjo wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
DetroitWingnut wrote:I just bought new tires for my 1980 Gl1100. I am going to use Dyna Beads. What do you recommend to lube tire during install? Should I purchase and install angled valve stems? Why or why not? Would I even be able to find some that fits my ride?
When using manual tire irons, I use Armor All or STP "Son of a Gun" - it goes on wet but dries and stays relatively slippery.

If you're using a tire mounting machine, you can't get away with that - it's not slippery enough. So I use the regular bead lubricant, but I put it on very sparingly, only on the bead, and make sure it doesn't get on the inside of the rim or tire, where it might stick to the beads.

The 1100 doesn't have supports for angled valve stems like the 1500 and 1800 do, so I don't know that I would be too eager to try to install them.
I have to disagree with this statement. You should never use anything to mount your tires that stays slippery after it dries. You want the tire to stick to the rim. If it stays slippery and you hit the brakes, what do you think will happen? The rim stops but the tire is stuck to the road just as it should be and keeps right on rolling. The tire and rim need to act as one unit.

Use something that lubricates when wet but not when dry, such as soapy water. If it's getting sticky before you're done then add more or work quicker.
Using soapy water is a very good way to corrode your aluminum rims, right where the tire bead sits - causing air leaks.

The Armor-All used as a bead lubricant is nowhere near slippery enough to allow a tire to slide on the rim once it is mounted, with bead seated. It takes just as much force to unseat a bead that was lubricated with Armor-All as it does using regular bead lubricant.

steve allen
Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha VMax 1200
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Post by steve allen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:42 pm

But, with all the feedback on the use of Dynabeads, all tire manufactures will void the tire warranted for the site of beads. I was present at a Honda Dealership last year when a Representative with Dunlap was there for a tire defect. He voided the warranted cause of the beads. The beads do not work under 30mph anyway, and if you drive alot around town, you are driving on out-of-balance tires much of the time.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 am

steve allen wrote:But, with all the feedback on the use of Dynabeads, all tire manufactures will void the tire warranted for the site of beads. I was present at a Honda Dealership last year when a Representative with Dunlap was there for a tire defect. He voided the warranted cause of the beads. The beads do not work under 30mph anyway, and if you drive alot around town, you are driving on out-of-balance tires much of the time.
There have been reports of some manufacturers voiding warranties if anything other than air was put in their tires - i.e. liquid sealers, balancers, plugs, etc.

That said, with the exceptions and pro-rating used for tire warranties, the warranties are not good for much in the first place.

As for the speed limitations - Dyna Beads fall to the bottom of the tire when stopped, the Counteract beads claim to stay in place due to static electricity, so they balance from 0 mph. That said, below 25-30 mph, balancing of tires has pretty much zero effect anyway, so it's a moot point. If you are feeling an out of balance tire at 30 mph, that tire has some very serious problems and likely shouldn't be ridden on in the first place.

JerriEric
Motorcycle: GL1800 '06

Post by JerriEric » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:54 pm

Prescription bottle with tubing from Home Depot
Prescription bottle with tubing from Home Depot

I have used Dyna Beads for about 4 tire changes now. When I change I have both tires changed at the same time to avoid waisting time at the dealer. I'd rather be riding. I saw a post on another forum about making a simple install unit. I did it, took about 15 minutes to make once I assembled the parts. First let me say, using the tube and bottle from Dyna Beads is a really painful way to install them. I would put the beads in the bottle, then attach the plastic tube to the valve, pour the beads in the tube then puff air in the tube to insert them into the tire. It took 5 or 6 iterations to get all the beads in. Maybe I should have tried a LONGER tube. So I built this unit using an old plastic prescription bottle and some tubing from Home Depot. I put the 2oz breads in the bottle, attached the long end of the tube to the valve step and puffed air using my compressor into the short tube. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE BEADS WENT IN WITH ONE BUFF FROM THE COMPRESSOR. Now there may be other ways to do this, but for me it was well worth the time to put this together. Oh, don't know if it is the beads, but I get 15-17k on my E3's and could go longer but the howling gets to me. I have put on a set of Bridgestones to try and I will see how they wear.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:44 pm

I do the same thing now, as I mentioned (and showed in the video) in this post. I use a slightly longer tube now, to get them all in at once. You do have to be a bit careful to let the air you puffed into the tire come out slowly, so it doesn't blow any beads back out with it.

Incidentally, I've been riding with the Counteract beads that I put in this past winter for a few months now, and I can report that they work just as well as the Dynabeads - in fact, they might even work a bit better. I know with the Dynabeads, when I hit a large bump, the balance would sometimes get thrown out for a few wheel rotations, so you would feel a bit of vibration. I don't feel the same thing with the Counteract beads.

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Post by Mspinner » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:28 pm

so its been 6 months since your last comment. just wondering because im getting new tires and been reading about the dyna beads. are you liking the counteract beads better? i see they recommend only 1 ounce in the front tire vs 2 oz that dyna uses. is that how you installed?

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:21 pm

I used 3oz per tire on my bike (dyna beads). I have 6oz per tire on my Malibu wagon (counteract). Our local tire shop, Kal Tire, uses the Counteract brand. No complaints either way - both do as stated. I'm adding them to all our vehicles as we change tires.

Mspinner

Post by Mspinner » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Sounds like your a believer. Going to give them a try. Prob going the counteract way because of the wear and moisture issues with the dyna. U think 3oz in each? You ride the same bike. Thanx Bear

Oldbear

Post by Oldbear » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:21 am

More can't hurt, and less is bad. Friends of mine own a bike shop and recommended the higher weight in the front also... he rides a Road Queen, so is used to the heavier bike. I liked the fact that I could pull the old weights off and make my rims look that much better.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:37 pm

I have had no issues with the Counteract beads at all. I used the same weight as I would have used with the Dynabeads. As for a comparison in wear, that will have to wait until I wear out these tires and demount them. That said, the last set of tires I wore out had Dynabeads inside them, and the amount of wear inside from the beads was really negligible, as shown earlier in this thread. Not anything I am/was worried about.

T-Rat
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100a & 2000 Sportster 1200

Post by T-Rat » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:45 am

I have been using Dyna Beads in my last 4 sets of tires and have recommended them to friends that also mount their own tires.......I have never seen any cupping since I started using them and I never have any tire vibration at all. I will never mount a tire again without them. I am going to try them in my tires on my Jeep Cherokee as soon as I replace them!

Mspinner

Post by Mspinner » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Ok...I got the counter react beads. I'm going to get the tires mounted next week. Did I read it right about just dropping the the bag with the beads in the tire instead of pouring them in? They bust right thru the bag?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Dropping the bag in is how they do it on truck tires but I do not see a reason you can not do it on the motorcycle tires.
However you do it, use 2 to 3 ounces of counteract beads per tire and you should be good to go.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:05 pm

I got a new to me 1500 not long ago and have been going through a lot of the DIY articles and found this one.

Looking for a place to purchase Dyna Beads, I found that Graingers has them real cheap at $28 for 16 oz bag.
It doesn't come with the little bottle or tube, but those can be found anywhere.
Grainger Dyna Beads
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Post by wingman12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:28 pm

the main down side to the dyna beads are that they are glass, being glass as they tumble around they start to break apart into very fine glass dust. I have found the best balancing beads are made out of stainless steel and can be used over and over again and never break apart. I found these from a company called Callies's Kustoms
www.callieskustoms.com. They recommend 1 oz per 10 lbs of tire. 20oz bag for $27.00 plud shipping. All lead weight have to be removed. a simple magnet will pick up the beads so you can put in new tires when installed. works wonders. Ride safe my friends. :P :P