Clutch removal GL1100

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Clutch removal GL1100

Postby eklimek » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:34 pm

(Not sure if here, or GL110, or "How to" is best place. Admin move as you think best)

clutch slipping ... time for refurb.

Honda has proprietary tools to remove clutch (Photo in Manual page 9-6.) I am sure there are other ways to do this. Here is one way. Of course this all takes place on the bike after cover is removed. For clarity only, the clutch has been removed from the outer drum.

Remove rear wheel to get to the cover and work between centre stand with 10 mm tools. Don't forget to either drain oil or stand bike on its nose.

clutch removed from drum for clarity
clutch removed from drum for clarity

clutch centre removed, here's the slotted nut that needs to be removed
clutch centre removed, here's the slotted nut that needs to be removed

slotted nut and socket tool
slotted nut and socket tool

Tool made of key stock welded to socket of suitable dimension. (Could also simply cut a larger socket) Unpean lock washer with pointed tool.

measure lifter plate for dimensions and cut out centre for socket tool
measure lifter plate for dimensions and cut out centre for socket tool

If clutch is not slipping one could replace springs and tighten without lifter plate.

use long 10 mm bolts from case
use long 10 mm bolts from case

hold centre and use socket tool
hold centre and use socket tool

may need small extension to lower socket tool
may need small extension to lower socket tool

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Re: Clutch removal GL1100

Postby eklimek » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:41 am

Correction. Rear wheel removal is NOT necessary.

All bolts are 10 mm. A selection of sockets and xtensions and ratchet wrenches will come in handy. The tricky one is the long case bolt at 1 o'clock. Remove and install first. The others are much easier.

Best tip is to clean up the cover and centre stand area as best you can before getting into it. Prepare to be filthy as this will be the first time this area is cleaned.

Much easier with the bike at comfortable working height slightly nose down to reduce oil dripping.

I was not able to find a torque value for cover bolts. I used 7 ft lb.

If you are assembling from donor bikes specific length clutch release rods mate with actuating lever of the clutch cover. If you have the right length the cover slips on and mates easily. If too long the cover can still be installed but the rod will be bent as cover is tighted down. This will jam mechanism.

eklimek

Re: Clutch removal GL1100

Postby eklimek » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:32 pm

nose down and easy access
nose down and easy access

Return to “GL1100 DIY Articles”