Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

How to lubricate your center stand

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:25 pm

The center stand comes under a tremendous amount of pressure, lifting the entire weight of the motorcycle. It requires proper lubrication in order to do its job properly, however because of its position under the bike, it tends to get full of dirt and road grime, further hindering its movement. Yet due to poor design, in order to lubricate it properly, the left exhaust must be removed. This procedure shows a "short cut" that may help you get around this.

1. Put the sidestand down (for safety), then put the bike up on the center stand, to extend the spring as much as possible. You may find the spring is extended the most when the center stand is not quite fully extended. In this case, have a helper hold the bike in place by holding the front brake tightly. Using pliers, push pennies into the spring of the center stand. This will keep the spring extended when the center stand is retracted.

2. Retract the center stand, and lean the bike onto the side stand. Remove the spring from the frame anchor point. Under the bike, on the bracket that holds the center stand in place, are two pinch bolts, one on each side. Loosen (but do not remove) the pinch bolts.

3. On the right side of the bike, pull the cotter pin out that secures the pivot into the bracket.

4. On the right side of the bike, use a punch (in this picture I am using a 1/2" drive socket extension) to push the center stand pivot out of the bracket.

5. Push the pivot tube as far to the left side of the bike as you can, until it hits the left exhaust. At this point, you may be able to tip the center stand down and slide it off the pivot tube. If you can do this, great! Lube up the pivot tube with lots of grease, and replace the center stand. Chances are, you won't be able to do this. So with the pivot tube pushed out all the way left, inject lots of grease into the center stand through the hole on the right side of the bike that you pushed the pivot tube through. On the left side of the bike, smear lots of grease onto the pivot tube that is extending out of the bracket (and up against the exhaust).

6. While holding the center stand in place, rotate the pivot tube as you push it back into place from the left side. This is to smear as much grease around the inside of the center stand pivot as possible. You may wish to go back to step 5 and repeat, to get even more grease inside the pivot. Also grease up the spring anchor point on the left side of the bike.

7. With the pivot tube pushed all the way in, reinsert the cotter pin and bend it into place.

8. Tighten the pinch bolts on both sides.

9. Replace the spring, first on the center stand, then on the anchor point. Extend the center stand and using pliers, pull all the pennies out of the spring.

bfetch
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Re: How to lubricate your center stand

Postby bfetch » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 pm

As long as you have everything apart, this would be a good time to add a grease (zerk) fitting. When you're due for a rear tire change you can add one to the brake pedal pivot as I have. They get a shot of grease each season. (Why didn't Honda think of this?)
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 am

bfetch wrote:As long as you have everything apart, this would be a good time to add a grease (zerk) fitting. When you're due for a rear tire change you can add one to the brake pedal pivot as I have. They get a shot of grease each season. (Why didn't Honda think of this?)

They likely did, and ruled it out as too expensive! :)

Did you just drill and tape a hole for the zerk? I didn't think there was enough metal for that. I have seen where some people welded a bead on top, then drilled and tapped into the bead for the zerk.

bfetch
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Postby bfetch » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:31 pm

I drilled and tapped for a 1/4"-28 thread. There's enough thickness. Adding more via a bead of weld wouldn't hurt. The thread on the fitting can be cut back a bit if necessary.

Sthor
Motorcycle: GL1100C

Postby Sthor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:57 am

As an addendum to the above: My centre stand was seized and was pivoting around the pinch bolts. :(

I nipped up the pinch bolts tight and used a propane torch to heat the centre stand pivot, gently rocking the stand started to free it up.

Once it was free, It drifted out OK, although I did have to drop the whole exhaust to get good access

Trying to drift it out without freeing it up just caused the shaft to burr over

dlfenny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby dlfenny » Mon May 11, 2015 12:06 am

Is it possible to remove the center stand this way without removing the exhaust?

Return to “GL1100 DIY Articles”