How to flush your cooling system

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
lukeinmexico
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Re: How to flush your cooling system

Post by lukeinmexico » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:09 am

Thank you for this post. It makes this job seem easy and straight forward.
I took a ride yesterday and my engine was getting hot; the fan wasn't turning on.
Does anyone know of a good post showing how to check the fan motor and switch?
This forum is great, thanks for all of the help!

lukeinmexico

Post by lukeinmexico » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:31 pm

Thank you for this post, it helped me when I had to switch out my thermo switch and I decided to flush the coolant.

bubba9710
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Custom (Saorsa)
1978 Suzuki GS750 (Susie - sold)
1979 Yamaha XS650 Custom (Delilah - sold)
1978 Kawasaki KZ400 (Jezebel - sold)

Post by bubba9710 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:03 pm

My dad and I are getting ready to do a little road trip through the Saskatchewan Badlands next week so I decided a little maintenance was in order. I changed the air filter and the oil, as I do annually, but I had never done the coolant before. I figured that was in order being that I've run this bike for four seasons without changing it. Thank you for the crystal clear step by step instruction. This was so easy, I don't know why I haven't done it before. Simple instructions with clear pictures (so clear I knew the coolant drain bolt was a 14mm) make life easy! I'll try to post a few pictures from our trip next week when I get back. We both ride Wings. His is an '80 and mine an '81. We love them! Best and smoothest bikes we have ever owned...and we have had a few. Thanks again for another tutorial so easy you should be ashamed if you don't do the maintenance!! :D :D
Keep the rubber side down, folks! - James -

lukeinmexico

Post by lukeinmexico » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks again for this thread.
I used it again after I replaced my timing belts and thermostat and had my radiator cleaned out.
I was able to do three flushes on two gallons of distilled water.
Great thread.
Thanks again.
-Bobby

Dalydude
Motorcycle: Motobecan Moped
70 Honda CL100
82(?) Honda CM450a
82 Yamaha 850 Triple
1980 GL 1100 Goldwing

Post by Dalydude » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:09 pm

While waiting for parts, I'm flushing the cooling system. While draining, it started out with nice clear green fluid, but now I'm getting this camo-green goo reluctantly dripping out. Sure glad I'm flushing it out. I'm guessing it's oil/water mix. I'm thinking of doing the first flush with Simple Green! (Well, that actually sounds like a bad idea )

Will water still work just fine, or should I find some product to use?

The green goo!  The dark green stuff IS simple green I used to clean the bolt before removal)
The green goo! The dark green stuff IS simple green I used to clean the bolt before removal)

lukeinmexico

Post by lukeinmexico » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Hmmm...I'm sure other people know more than me, but if you have oil in your radiator fluid you might have a bad water pump or water pump seal(s). To answer your question, I use distilled water for my cooling system flushes.
-Bobby-D

Dalydude
Motorcycle: Motobecan Moped
70 Honda CL100
82(?) Honda CM450a
82 Yamaha 850 Triple
1980 GL 1100 Goldwing

Post by Dalydude » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:28 pm

lukeinmexico wrote:Hmmm...I'm sure other people know more than me, but if you have oil in your radiator fluid you might have a bad water pump or water pump seal(s). To answer your question, I use distilled water for my cooling system flushes.
-Bobby-D
Agreed. There are several places the cooling /lubrication systems come close to each other. I hate to think about that.

cruzan_papa
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing GL1100

Post by cruzan_papa » Mon May 23, 2016 6:36 pm

I look forward to doing this i got my bike for 2 years now and i can only hope that the dealership did a flush...but just for my sake ill do it so i exactly when it was done. Thanks for this dude your awesome!! 8-)

Edit:
Has someone or can someone do a DIY on switching out an ignition? Someone hit my bike and now my handlebars wont lock so im guessing ill need a new ignition but dont know how to switch it out...thanks again!

uman54025
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by uman54025 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:18 am

Dalydude wrote:While waiting for parts, I'm flushing the cooling system. While draining, it started out with nice clear green fluid, but now I'm getting this camo-green goo reluctantly dripping out. Sure glad I'm flushing it out. I'm guessing it's oil/water mix. I'm thinking of doing the first flush with Simple Green! (Well, that actually sounds like a bad idea )

Will water still work just fine, or should I find some product to use?
20160423_123802.jpg
Do you have coolant in the oil also ? Sounds like it could be a bad head gasket to me.
I have read on auto repair forums that people use liquid Tide laundry detergent with the water for flushing out oil in the cooling system.

arseatea
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Post by arseatea » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:09 pm

This may come up twice. But, I was just getting ready to flush and fill my 83 1100I when I saw your thread. I was going to use Prestone 50/50 prediluted. It does not say it is silicone free and does say that it is for all cars and light trucks. I would guess this is not the right stuff for the Honda..