How to rebuild your rear brake caliper

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: How to rebuild your rear brake caliper

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Just got finished doing the front calipers on my '85 LTD. Between doing the rebuild, and reading these forums and the manuals, I noticed that the sleeve was completely seized and I had to "punch" it out. The information I read, and I believe WingAdmin mentioned this as well is that this sleeve has to be free to move as does the "pin" so that the caliper continually self-aligns when used. If the caliper is not free to self align, the caliper can bind. I have freed up the front caliper sleeves, but will replace them with new when I do the back end in February. Just a thought. Cheers

Ernest

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Bill Melater
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 standard

Post by Bill Melater » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:44 am

OK maybe this will help someone figure out their brake problem. 1981 Gl1100 rear brake once applied was not allowing the rear wheel to turn freely. This is the single piston type caliper. I opened the bleeder and the wheel was still locked up. I removed the brake line and the wheel was still locked. At this point I was sure it was the caliper causing the problem and not the master cylinder since it was no longer in the equation. I removed the caliper mounting bolts and the caliper came off with only a little resistance. I reattached the brake line to get the piston out of the caliper bore. It came out quite easily and there was NOT a lot of junk in the caliper bore. The bore was actually shiny as was the piston. I proceeded to remove the rubber sealing ring and the rubber dust shield from the piston. At this point everything looked fine with the piston and the bore except for several areas in the caliper bore that had clear hard varnish like spots that I could feel with my fingernail. I used 000 steel wool to remove all the spots then washed the caliper out with brake clean and compressed air. The piston (without the rubber sealing ring in the caliper bore) now slid in and out of the bore easily. I reinstalled the rubber sealing ring which looked in excellent shape and the dust shield on the piston, lubed the piston and bore with brake fluid and everything went back together smoothly. I remounted the caliper, bled the brakes and now the brakes hold and release perfectly.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Bill Melater wrote:OK maybe this will help someone figure out their brake problem. 1981 Gl1100 rear brake once applied was not allowing the rear wheel to turn freely. This is the single piston type caliper. I opened the bleeder and the wheel was still locked up. I removed the brake line and the wheel was still locked. At this point I was sure it was the caliper causing the problem and not the master cylinder since it was no longer in the equation. I removed the caliper mounting bolts and the caliper came off with only a little resistance. I reattached the brake line to get the piston out of the caliper bore. It came out quite easily and there was NOT a lot of junk in the caliper bore. The bore was actually shiny as was the piston. I proceeded to remove the rubber sealing ring and the rubber dust shield from the piston. At this point everything looked fine with the piston and the bore except for several areas in the caliper bore that had clear hard varnish like spots that I could feel with my fingernail. I used 000 steel wool to remove all the spots then washed the caliper out with brake clean and compressed air. The piston (without the rubber sealing ring in the caliper bore) now slid in and out of the bore easily. I reinstalled the rubber sealing ring which looked in excellent shape and the dust shield on the piston, lubed the piston and bore with brake fluid and everything went back together smoothly. I remounted the caliper, bled the brakes and now the brakes hold and release perfectly.
Thanks Bill, as you discovered, this can obviously cause this kind of problem. When all else fails, a lot of the time a good cleaning/reconditioning can fix a problem.

Straydogg
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Straydogg » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Well, all I can say is thanks! I used you posting to rebuild my '83 Aspencade rear caliper and it was very easy. I was a little worried about doing it myself since I had never tried to before. It was pretty dirty in the slots where the seals mount and the pistons were pretty rough. After the fix the brakes work great. 107000 miles and this is the second rebuild but the first time doing it on my own. I am impressed by how well they brakes perform now. Guess I should have done this before now but all's well that ends well..right? Thanks for the info. :D

bobbybiscuit
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by bobbybiscuit » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 am

I have a Gl1100a aspencade 1982 dual piston rear caliper which i overhauled. Two things went wrong which I need advice on please.

Put new seals in and when pushing in pistons they dragged out of recess and snapped. Used fresh brake fluid to lubricate pistons and used a handle of large bar to push piston in. I have ordered seals again.

In addition, when refitting the caliper, the two bolts although done up tight there is :

a) a gap between the caliper and the caliper support when tightening the bolt. I have looked at the parts diagram for the bike and there is nothing to pack it out. Used new bolt to fix.

b) Bottom caliper bolt - very small gap between caliper and caliper support . Looks like this is packed out with the seal.

The end result when the bolts are tight is that there is some play in the caliper (not rear disc). I cant do the bolts up any tighter. Done that first time around and snap a bolt off in the caliper support and had to buy another support.

Any help would be appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:40 pm

bobbybiscuit wrote:I have a Gl1100a aspencade 1982 dual piston rear caliper which i overhauled. Two things went wrong which I need advice on please.

Put new seals in and when pushing in pistons they dragged out of recess and snapped. Used fresh brake fluid to lubricate pistons and used a handle of large bar to push piston in. I have ordered seals again.

In addition, when refitting the caliper, the two bolts although done up tight there is :

a) a gap between the caliper and the caliper support when tightening the bolt. I have looked at the parts diagram for the bike and there is nothing to pack it out. Used new bolt to fix.

b) Bottom caliper bolt - very small gap between caliper and caliper support . Looks like this is packed out with the seal.

The end result when the bolts are tight is that there is some play in the caliper (not rear disc). I cant do the bolts up any tighter. Done that first time around and snap a bolt off in the caliper support and had to buy another support.

Any help would be appreciated.
OK, first off, definitely lubricate both the seals and the pistons with lots of brake fluid before inserting the pistons with the new seals. You should be able to push them in with your fingers. If you are having to use a bar to push them in, then something is wrong.

As for the gap between the caliper and the bracket - do you have a boot there? There should be one:

bobbybiscuit

Post by bobbybiscuit » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:41 pm

I tried it with a boot there as you suggested and it made no difference to the movement albeit a small movement. Thanks.

bobbybiscuit

Post by bobbybiscuit » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:38 am

I ordered from ebay an 1982 rear caliper off interstate thinking it would fit my aspencade - dual piston. Arrived this morning from the States and thought all my problems were solved as in excellent condition - NOPE!

Wont fit my aspencade - caliper width 30 mine is 32! So i have stuck it on ebay to see if anyone interested.

Does anyone know where I can get a 32 width rear caliper that is working please? Nothing on ebay apart from a seized one and the postage is extortionate to the UK - pity a lot of the sellers dont belong to ebay international sellers scheme. Much better price and faster aswell. Anyway, is there anyone out there that can help?