Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
wcurlew
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A
1981 GL1100I
1981 XS850s

Re: How to rebuild your rear brake caliper

Post by wcurlew » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks for your reply. I got the kit from goldwingstuff.com (aka Cyclegiant?), they usually have pretty decent replacement parts. I did scrape out the channel that the seal sits in, as I was warned about this by another biker who does a lot of his own work. I was wondering if there was something about the seal I hadn't noticed, like the taper or ribbed side that was mentioned in the 1983 repair with the double seals. There wasn't any doc with the kit, and I didn't notice anything in the Clymer manual for the GL1100I.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Oldbear » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Small rubber seals are small and fragile. It won't take much to put a nick or tear in it. Even the pros (I'm not a pro) do it.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

leegeek
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by leegeek » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Excellent DIY Article...
I just finished rebuilding a seized caliper on my "new to me" 82 Interstate. Everything went smoothly until I tried to insert the upper seals I was beginning to think the seals were the wrong size....BUT... I simply did not clean all the petrified crud.Once the channels were really clean, the seal went right in. Thanks again for the great site.
Lee

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 am

leegeek wrote:Excellent DIY Article...
I just finished rebuilding a seized caliper on my "new to me" 82 Interstate. Everything went smoothly until I tried to insert the upper seals I was beginning to think the seals were the wrong size....BUT... I simply did not clean all the petrified crud.Once the channels were really clean, the seal went right in. Thanks again for the great site.
Lee
I did the same thing the very first time I did it. I thought; "well I've got most of it out, that will do." Nope - you have to get it ALL in order to get the correct seal.

BENJEE2112
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE

Post by BENJEE2112 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks again to WingAdmin. For walking me through my rear brake caliper rebuild. Finally... after way too long and 5 sets of REAR brake pads. I did that one. My rear breaks are now finally letting go. The little return hole didn't appear to be clogged,but I reamed it out and all around it anyway.I got a big bottle of fluid And flushed(changed) front and back systems. I don't have a vacuum bleeder. But my "Speed Bleeders" worked great. (I do recommend those). I was a little disappointed that the (CERTIFIED HONDA PARTS) rebuild kit didn't include the gasket on the outer edge of the cylinder. Luckily mine was in good shape....THANKS WINGADMIN. YOUR HOW TO'S ARE AWESOME.......BEN

renren33
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by renren33 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:45 am

I just bought an 81 GL1100 interstate. The rear wheel won't turn freely due to the rear break being locked. After reading around on this site, I decided I would try to rebuild the rear caliper. Things were going great until I tried to remove the caliper (really not very far along). I've opened up the bleeder valve and tried wiggling it around and using a rubber mallet but it doesn't want to come. I was reading somewhere that I could compress the piston with a screwdriver but I'm not sure how I would get a screwdriver in between the bracket and the caliper or the bracket and the disc. Any suggestions on how to get the caliper off would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to trying a lot of these great how-to projects on this site but I have to get past this first.
Thanks, -Steven

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:51 am

Hi. Did you take the Bleeder nut all the way off? do a double check to make sure you have a the bolts out. Also...don't forget the retaining pins. I think it a 8mm bolt on top that holds the retaining clip. PULL UP AND INWARD TO GET THE CLIP OFF FROM THE KEYHOLE SLOTS. Then you have to knock out the pins. best to do that with the bolts back in place,so you aren't beatin on the swing arm. Eventually. you will be able to pull them the rest of the way out with pliers. Or.... Take the brake line completely off. zip tie it above the master cylinder so it don't syphin all the fluid out everywhere. when you finally get it off and do your rebuild. take the cylinder to a cycle shop and bead blast it clean. My Honda shop did it for free for me.I still had to give the c-clip groove a little more attention before installing them. (I PAINTED THEM WITH BLACK LACQUER SPRAY PAINT FIRST).TAPE OFF THE CYLINDER BEFORE PAINT!!!

renren33

Post by renren33 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Thank you for the quick response. I didn't take the bleeder all the way off, I just turned it until break fluid started coming out. Should I take it all the way off?
I think the instructions you gave are for the two cylinder caliper, mine is a one cylinder. I don't think there are any pins in this caliper. From what I've read online and on the manual, I need to compress the piston but I don't know how, at least not without damaging the caliper.
I like the idea of painting the caliper while I have it off, thanks for that suggestion.
-Steven

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:40 am

Hi Ren ren. my rear is one cyclinder front is double. I think they both have pins.LOOK AT THE (HOW TO ARTICLES) ON HERE. (UP IN THE BLUE SECTION ABOVE THIS DISCUSSION) or on the home page. WINGADMIN is awesome. He has walked me though many repairs. I know theres brakes on there. Good Luck.

BENJEE2112

Post by BENJEE2112 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:48 am

When you do finally get it off. Rebuild it. If that didn't fix it. The next thing to check is the "FLUID RETURN HOLE IN THE RESERVOIR" "THAT IS A PRETTY COMMON ISSUE WITH THE OLDER WINGS" Theres an article on that too. You'l have to buy the rebuiLd kit for that too.
PUT CARDBOARD ON TOP OF YOUR WORK BENCH BEFORE STARTING EITHER ONE OF THEOSE PROCEDURES THERES GOING TO BE BREAK FLUID EVERYWHERE.

tonyincny
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

Post by tonyincny » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Perhaps this is a silly question. But, where you specified high temperature brake grease, could you use Mobil 1 synthetic grease?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:46 pm

tonyincny wrote:Perhaps this is a silly question. But, where you specified high temperature brake grease, could you use Mobil 1 synthetic grease?
Not unless it specifically says "high temperature" or "for use on brakes." Regular non-high temperature grease will melt and run when it encounters the high temperatures found on brakes. Or worse...it will ignite and burn. You don't want that.

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by robertdawber » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:49 pm

WingAdmin wrote:If you can pump it out with the pedal, then the caliper isn't frozen. One of two things is possible:

- The caliper slide pins are seized and need to be cleaned and lubricated
- (more likely) the return port in the master cylinder is blocked, causing the pistons to not be allowed to retract.
What is the return port and how does one fix this issues? I am thinking I may have this problem.
Bob

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by robertdawber » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:00 am

WingAdmin wrote:If you can pump it out with the pedal, then the caliper isn't frozen. One of two things is possible:

- (more likely) the return port in the master cylinder is blocked, causing the pistons to not be allowed to retract.
How do you repair this issue?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:24 pm

robertdawber wrote:

- The caliper slide pins are seized and need to be cleaned and lubricated
What is the return port and how does one fix this issues? I am thinking I may have this problem.
Bob
The return port is located in the master cylinder, and is cleaned out using a very thin piece of wire (I use a wire brush bristle, a guitar string works too):

You can read the entire procedure here: How to rebuild your rear master cylinder

LetsRock
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

1975 MR175

Post by LetsRock » Sun May 24, 2015 9:53 am

I rebuilt the rear caliper on my 85 LTD and think I might have bought an inferior rebuild kit (Saber cycle) I think the piston seals are leaking. What rebuild kits have everyone had good results with? what suppliers did you use? I also had trouble getting the slider pin boots to stay on the pin when I installed them, no matter how I tried to install them one side would not slide in the ridge of the pin.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 26, 2015 10:38 am

LetsRock wrote:I rebuilt the rear caliper on my 85 LTD and think I might have bought an inferior rebuild kit (Saber cycle) I think the piston seals are leaking. What rebuild kits have everyone had good results with? what suppliers did you use? I also had trouble getting the slider pin boots to stay on the pin when I installed them, no matter how I tried to install them one side would not slide in the ridge of the pin.
Yes, pretty much everything Saber Cycle sells is of inferior quality. Read the long list of complaints people have with this company and their shoddy products: http://goldwingdocs.com/Vendors/Saber-Cycle_880

I used PartsnMore for my GL1100 rebuild kits, and had only good results. Rebuild kits are now available from Cyclemax as well, and are of excellent quality: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/brake_c ... 747/138947

LetsRock
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

1975 MR175

Post by LetsRock » Wed May 27, 2015 11:52 am

Thanks WingAdmin I appreciate the help :)

renren33

Post by renren33 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:08 am

After a long delay, I finally got back to working on the bike. I sure wish life would go as planned more often. Anyway, I finally got that rear caliper off and rebuilt. I ended up having to take the rotor off with the brake still on it, clamping down on the caliper frame with a rubber lined vice (to try not to hurt anything), and really whacking it with a rubber mallet. After a few good hits, it popped off. I was then able to complete the rebuild and it's working great.
Mine doesn't have the same type of pins as in the how-to. After reading the manual a little closer, it calls the two bolts pins but it doesn't have the pins that are held in by a retainer bracket. Here's a picture so you can see the difference. It's of a front caliper but both front and the back are the exact same caliper.

I did want to say that even with the differences between my bike and the one in the how-to, I wouldn't have even attempted it without the great info in this how-to and elsewhere on the site. A big thanks to WingAdmin for taking the time and effort to put this together - it really has been a blessing. Also, thank you BENJEE for your help on this. After this initial experience, I really looking forward to riding and working on my "new" Wing for years to come.

Stubbegubb
Motorcycle: 1980 GL110 Interstate

Post by Stubbegubb » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:20 am

Hi, just rebuilt brakes on my 1980 GL1100 which I bought recently. This tutorial was invaluable, although the setup on my bike is a bit different with a single piston caliper. The rear brake had obviously not seen service in a long time, the piston was stuck, the pads were worn down almost to metal and the master cylinder was full of something resembling grease. Presumably brake fluid congealing over time. Tried to press out the piston with brake, but no luck. Took off caliper, piston was stuck quite far out. I pressed it a bit in using a vice to get it moving, then blew it out using compressed air. Used sealing tape around the air nozzle to seal and avoid damaging threads, worked fine. It came very slowly, but it moved. Luckily there was no rust or damage, just congealed brake fluid. Thorough cleaning an replacing all seals did the trick. Also replaced brake hoses with new steel braided ones, marked improvement especially on front brake. I now have brakes that work properly! I got my original Honda parts from David Silver spares (UK), except brake hoses which no longer are supplied. Ordered those from Venhill UK, excellent service and quality. My Wing is now ready to tour Norway.

newomij
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by newomij » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:38 pm

I did the rebuild thanks to this incredible forum and everything seemed to be in order when I put it back on the bike. However, I was and still am doing other work on the bike and haven't actually had a chance to try the newly rebuilt caliper. I was working on it again today and found the brake pads tight, very tight, against the rotor not allowing the rear wheel to turn at all.
Question: What releases the brake after it's been applied? I'm assuming that the answer to this will indicate why they are not releasing and therefore lead me to the solution.

I was just looking at the forum on rebuilding the rear master cylinder. I doubt that's ever been done and maybe it's the reason my rear brakes won't release?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:46 pm

newomij wrote:I did the rebuild thanks to this incredible forum and everything seemed to be in order when I put it back on the bike. However, I was and still am doing other work on the bike and haven't actually had a chance to try the newly rebuilt caliper. I was working on it again today and found the brake pads tight, very tight, against the rotor not allowing the rear wheel to turn at all.
Question: What releases the brake after it's been applied? I'm assuming that the answer to this will indicate why they are not releasing and therefore lead me to the solution.

I was just looking at the forum on rebuilding the rear master cylinder. I doubt that's ever been done and maybe it's the reason my rear brakes won't release?
Yes. There is a pinhole in the master cylinder that allows the brake fluid to flow back into the reservoir when you release the brakes. If you don't change fluid often enough, it can get clogged, and the end result is your brakes locking on.

newomij

Post by newomij » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:33 pm

Rebuilt the rear brake caliper, following this awesome website, to discover that my rear master cylinder needs to be rebuilt, too. The way I discovered that is my rear brakes won't release. I pulled the master cylinder disconnecting the brake lines, pulled the brake line from the caliper, and even removed the bleeder valve on the caliper hoping the caliper pistons would relax. They didn't and that's why I here. How do I get the caliper pistons to play fair?
One side note: since rebuilding the caliper, the bike is still in rebuild/repair mode and the caliper has not been used.

1982 Aspencade

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:14 pm

newomij wrote:Rebuilt the rear brake caliper, following this awesome website, to discover that my rear master cylinder needs to be rebuilt, too. The way I discovered that is my rear brakes won't release. I pulled the master cylinder disconnecting the brake lines, pulled the brake line from the caliper, and even removed the bleeder valve on the caliper hoping the caliper pistons would relax. They didn't and that's why I here. How do I get the caliper pistons to play fair?
One side note: since rebuilding the caliper, the bike is still in rebuild/repair mode and the caliper has not been used.

1982 Aspencade
You may well need to rebuild the master cylinder, but if you removed the brake line (or cracked the bleeder open) on the caliper, and the pistons still don't release, then the master cylinder is not holding them there. Something else is wrong with the caliper. Can the wheel turn at all, or is it locked up solid?

newomij

Post by newomij » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:57 pm

The rear caliper came off with a slight struggle but it's off. I removed it from the bike, removed the pads, and was able to depress the cylinders with a couple pieces of thin board and a c-clamp. They depressed easily with the clamp. I guess I'll have to wait for the master cylinder rebuild kit, get that rebuilt and reinstalled, put the caliper back on, and then I'll know if all is well?