How to replace your windshield

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

How to replace your windshield

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 pm

My windshield had seen better days; it was fairly scratched. I also wanted a taller, wider windshield, to try to reduce the buffeting for my wife when she rode behind me. I decided on this Slipstreamer Wraparound, which I found from MotorcycleWindshield.com at a good price.

I figured this would be a simple replacement - unscrew the old one, put the new one on. Not so - it ended up taking me almost two hours to do. So here it is...how to replace your windshield.

1. Unscrew the two fairing screws in the middle of the aluminum trim.

2. Unscrew and remove the rearview mirrors on each side.

3. Remove the aluminum trim.

4. Remove the rubber spacer.

5. Remove the old windshield.

6. At this point, you may be able to reverse the removal instructions to install the new windshield, starting with the two screws in the middle, then the mirrors. It took two people to do this - one to hold the windshield in place, and one to hold the trim in place while screwing everything back in. If everything screws back in securely, then great! You're done! If the screws go in, but don't "bite", and feel like they are stripped - it's because of these little things - on to step 7!

7. Remove the front signal lights.

8. Reach through the holes left in the fairing by the signal light removal and remove the four wingnuts holding each speaker, as well as the four wingnuts holding the center console between the speakers. Pull both speakers and then the console forward out of the fairing.

9. You will be looking for these little things. They are metal, and are what the screws are supposed to tap into. They will likely fall out when you pull the speakers and console forward, like this one:

10.While holding the metal nuts in place, screw the fairing and mirror screws tightly into place.

11. Re-attach the center console, and fasten it back with its wing nuts. Do the same with the speakers. Re-attach the signal lights to the fairing.

12. On my motorcycle, the edges of the Slipstreamer windshield contacted the edge of the fairing, making an annoying creaking noise every time the bike moved. I took a heat gun and heated the very ends, then bent them up slightly, so that they no longer contacted the edge of the fairing.

13. View from the driver's seat!

WingAdmin
Site Admin

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to replace your windshield

Postby theiggy » Mon May 17, 2010 9:12 pm

Did the larger windshield affect the handling of the bike? I am a tall guy and get a lot of road noise over the factory one and having it 2 inches higher would help. :?:
theiggy

Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing 1100

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 17, 2010 11:08 pm

I noticed no change in handling at all. The only difference I can tell (other than reduced wind) is when passing large trucks at highway speed, there is a slight bit more of a buffet when you pass the front of the truck. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything at all.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby scratcho » Sat May 22, 2010 11:09 am

The Slipstreamer wraparound windshield is listed as being 6 inches taller than stock. They also have a stock shape tall windshield that is 2 inches taller.
scratcho

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I
1982 GL1100 S
1978 GL1000
1976 GL1000 x2

Postby scratcho » Sat May 22, 2010 12:46 pm

You show the spacer being in between the trim and the windshield, the parts book shows it between the windshield and the fairing. Which is the right way? I questioned this when I had mine off recently.
scratcho

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I
1982 GL1100 S
1978 GL1000
1976 GL1000 x2

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 22, 2010 12:50 pm

scratcho wrote:You show the spacer being in between the trim and the windshield, the parts book shows it between the windshield and the fairing. Which is the right way? I questioned this when I had mine off recently.

You're absolutely right. I put the spacer in between the trim and windshield because that's how it was when I took it apart - but I just looked at the parts fiche, and you're right, the spacer should be between the windshield and the fairing, and the trim should be directly against the windshield. A previous owner obviously put it together wrong. I'm going to have to take it apart and fix it, and take some more pictures to correct this. Good catch!
WingAdmin
Site Admin

1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby bikerider » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

WingAdm,
I just found this great site and I want to THANK YOU for all your help and sharing your knowledge. Your explanations are very clear and well written; the pictures are wonderful also. I now have a little more courage in trying to tackle some of the things I need to do to my bike to keep it safe and road worthy. What a big help the forums are -- please keep it going.
Thanks, again
bikerider
bikerider

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Glad to hear it, it really makes it worthwhile when I hear that it is helping people out.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby mrmorris » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Hello all!!!!!

What about replacing the windsheild on a 1997 GL1500 SE?

Thanks in advance!!!

Scott :)
mrmorris

Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing SE RED 23k mi.

Postby Oldbear » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Was there a curve to the new windscreen before you installed it?

What did you use to curve it for fitment?

My bike had an aftermarket screen on it - that is now old and spider-webbed. It has a tint and covers part of my mirrors - which makes it a double tint - which sucks... and I ride with a tinted visor during the day... triple tint... I've built a few for my old bikes and like the design of your new one; which is leading me to my next project.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...
Oldbear

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade,

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Oldbear wrote:Was there a curve to the new windscreen before you installed it?

The new windshields are custom made specifically for your bike, so it will come with the correct curve and mounting holes already there - it's just a bolt-in replacement.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby Oldbear » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:27 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Oldbear wrote:Was there a curve to the new windscreen before you installed it?

The new windshields are custom made specifically for your bike, so it will come with the correct curve and mounting holes already there - it's just a bolt-in replacement.

But you heated it to stop a rubbing. Did you just use a heat gun on low?

For the price of new windscreens I'll build my own that suits my height and riding/weather style. I'm just needing to bend the edges for a wrap around style like I currently have. I'd just modify this one, but it has a crack in the bottom.
Attachments
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...
Oldbear

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:35 am

Oldbear wrote:But you heated it to stop a rubbing. Did you just use a heat gun on low?

For the price of new windscreens I'll build my own that suits my height and riding/weather style. I'm just needing to bend the edges for a wrap around style like I currently have. I'd just modify this one, but it has a crack in the bottom.

The bottom edges of the windshield were designed to press up against the inside of the fairing. I didn't like that, as it funneled rainwater onto the fairing, so I used a heat gun (yes, on low - if you overheat plexiglas, it turns brownish/yellow and bubbles) and bent the lower corners outward.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby shadew » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:56 pm

I tried using headlight restorer on my windshield, I recommend it if you are going for a match with a rainbow paintscheme. Thanks for the how-to, I need it now.
shadew

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Oldbear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 am

shadew wrote:I tried using headlight restorer on my windshield, I recommend it if you are going for a match with a rainbow paintscheme. Thanks for the how-to, I need it now.

3M and Mequiar's both make great plastic polish for old windows - I've used both on older windscreens, with some success. I have the part compound(deep, medium, fine/polish scratch remover). But my current screen is far beyond that. I'm going to Chrometoys tonight to get my other parts (I get to use WingAdmins rear master rebuild guide) - I'll be checking on new screens too...
Oldbear

Postby redghost » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:40 am

I'm just curious why you have a plexiglass windshield that could crack or even break into big pieces of sharp jagged knives basically that could cut through you or your passenger if thrown from your bike. Your windshield if it's proper should be made of Lexan, which is alot less brittle. If you buy Lexan thick enough, it's actually bulletproof. Not trying to tell you how to do your project, just FYI and safety!
Thanks, concerned rider!
redghost

Motorcycle: "1992 GL1500I Interstate"

Postby shadew » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 am

I gave up on the case hardened windshield and hit the buy-it-now on a new Slipstreamer. I am not sure if it is made of Lexan, but the tutorial at the beginning of this thread is 100% accurate. I cannot express how much I appreciate the experience that is available to me on this site. Where would a person get their hands on a piece of Lexan for a windshield?
shadew

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Oldbear » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:08 am

i use Lexan left over from my neighbors stock car. But you can get it at many home repair stores or check with a local window manufacturer.
Oldbear

Postby redghost » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Just a little FYI! Here where I live, a 1/4"x4'x8' sheet of Lexan is about $170. That's big enough to make 3 full size windshields if you want. Just make sure you have a good variable speed jigsaw. Each cut that you make should be a one time cut. If you trace your old windshield on Lexan sheet use finepoint sharpy permanent marker so that you don't tare the protection Laminated plastic. Make all OD line cuts on the inside of the line (take out line from left side, no more), and ID on right side of line. The fine tooth blade is usually thicker than your line. Make all cuts before applying any heat
redghost

Postby redghost » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:53 pm

Sorry, had to charge battery. Before you trace outline of old windshield, make sure it's flat on sheets surface. If you don't it will be to narrow & short. Use weight of bucket adding as much water as needed to compress flat. After you
are finished with drilling & cutting, everything done, peel
LAMINATED PLASTIC BACK away from edges, 6-8" and get out a propane torch using a low flame, run heat along the rough edges from jigsaw blade, keep it moving and directly on the edges. Just smoothing so edges are slick. Practice this until you catch on using scraps.
redghost

Postby redghost » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Do yourself a favor before you decide to do a new windshield, make 100% certain that your existing windshield laminated skin was removed by the original installer. I was about to do a new one on my 1500I, when I just happened to notice a clear little spot around a hole that someone had drilled to hold a bracket or something. I started scratching around it with my fingernail an image what I found? You got it! A laminated skin on inside of my windshield (the very one on the bike). What a blessing. Just that simple accident just saved me headache and $170 bucks that I could use to pay my lightbill. I can't see threw it very good now, but I thank God I will tomorrow.
redghost

Postby redghost » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:36 pm

Jpeg.
redghost wrote:Do yourself a favor before you decide to do a new windshield, make 100% certain that your existing windshield laminated skin was removed by the original installer. I was about to do a new one on my 1500I, when I just happened to notice a clear little spot around a hole that someone had drilled to hold a bracket or something. I started scratching around it with my fingernail an image what I found? You got it! A laminated skin on inside of my windshield (the very one on the bike). What a blessing. Just that simple accident just saved me headache and $170 bucks that I could use to pay my lightbill. I can't see threw it very good now, but I thank God I will tomorrow.
redghost

Postby redghost » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:05 am

redghost wrote:Jpeg.
The attachment IMG_20110831_211236.jpg is no longer available
redghost wrote:Do yourself a favor before you decide to do a new windshield, make 100% certain that your existing windshield laminated skin was removed by the original installer. I was about to do a new one on my 1500I, when I just happened to notice a clear little spot around a hole that someone had drilled to hold a bracket or something. I started scratching around it with my fingernail an image what I found? You got it! A laminated skin on inside of my windshield (the very one on the bike). What a blessing. Just that simple accident just saved me headache and $170 bucks that I could use to pay my lightbill. I can't see threw it very good now, but I thank God I will tomorrow.
Attachments
redghost

Postby mbeerman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Great article, again. I am in the market for a new windshield for my 83 interstate. I have checked out several on the internet and I would like some feedback from some experienced riders before I purchase one. The windshield I have now is a replacement by Slipstreamer and it is the stock size. I am 6'4" and have found that I experience buffeting around my helmet at highway speeds. If I crouch down approximately 2 - 3 inches the ride is much quieter.
I have looked at a taller windshield from Cee-Baileys with a built-in vent and the price seems reasonable. I noticed that the replacement windshield in this article is wider as well. I was wondering if this windshield would be tall enough for me to consider?

Any thoughts?

Matthew
mbeerman

Motorcycle: 1983 INTERSTATE

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:34 am

mbeerman wrote:Great article, again. I am in the market for a new windshield for my 83 interstate. I have checked out several on the internet and I would like some feedback from some experienced riders before I purchase one. The windshield I have now is a replacement by Slipstreamer and it is the stock size. I am 6'4" and have found that I experience buffeting around my helmet at highway speeds. If I crouch down approximately 2 - 3 inches the ride is much quieter.
I have looked at a taller windshield from Cee-Baileys with a built-in vent and the price seems reasonable. I noticed that the replacement windshield in this article is wider as well. I was wondering if this windshield would be tall enough for me to consider?

Any thoughts?

Matthew

The Slipstreamer I put on in the pictures in this article is both wider and taller (a few inches) than stock. It basically removes wind for the driver, and significantly reduces buffet for the passenger. The only drawback is that it's a bit warm in hot weather, because the wind is just gone.

WingAdmin
Site Admin

1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Next

Return to GL1100 DIY Articles