Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Re: How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel

Post by patbrandon1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:04 pm

While removing my rear tire, I took a few pics, and was very careful to follow step by step instructions. One problem I have is, the inner spacer and it's placement. I didn't look closely enough while removing it during taking the wheel off. It doesn't go flush to the wheel. It seems that is the design, because there is a slight bit of dirt just before the flange, and there is no wear mark on the wheel where the flange would be flush. Can anyone tell me if they know if there is a tiny space between the flange of the inner spacer and the wheel? I have again borrowed a pic from WingAdmin to help my explanation. I hope you don't mind WingAdmin.

Everything went together fine. The wheel turns smoothly, and the castle nut lined up as before. I'm just wanting to make double sure it is right.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:54 pm

That's correct, it does not go flush against the hub.

DCpatrick
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard

Post by DCpatrick » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 am

Regarding the spacer; I ordered the Caliper Spacer OEM part, and it is really just a washer about 2 mm thick. The one shown in picture #16 (page one of this thread) is about 5 mm or more, and looks more like a collar than a washer. Does the space size change per model and year? I have a 1981 GL1100 standard.
Attachments

DCpatrick
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard

Post by DCpatrick » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Nevermind, I just answered my own Question, the spacers differ on the model years and type.
Attachments

eveready
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100I
1985 Suzuki 1200 Madura
2012 Custom Harley

Post by eveready » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm having the same problem as the last post. I just got this bike and I'm going through it to make sure it is safe to ride (brakes, suspenion, tires, ect.) anyway when I removed the rear wheel and noticed that there is no outer spacer. I ordered one from bike bandit and got a $9.00 washer for a 81 GL Standard instead of an 82 Interstate (same part #). Does anyone here have a spare spacer they will part with? I really want to get this back together.

Greg_C
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:39 pm

WingAdmin,

Great DIY article ...

I've replaced both bearing on my GL1100 ... When I was reseating the larger bearing I was a bit paranoid about pounding the bearing in too far and jamming the inner race up against the inner guide/tube .... so I made sure not to seat the bearing too far and ensure that the inner guide tube still moves ... my question is about the inner spacer ... when I place it into the wheel there is the gap / space that you see in the picture below... it does not sit tight against the seal retainer ring ... which I understand from the previous posts is normal/expected ... however this inner spacer appears to bottom out on the side of the race of the large bearing ... when the wheel shaft is installed and you tighten the castle nut to the correct torque is this inner spacer not going to be pressing / rubbing against the side of the bearing? As I said at the start the bearing is well seated, just shy of rubbing against the inner guide / tube. Does the spacing look normal to you? ... does this inner spacer actually press up against the bearing?

thanks in advance.

Inner Spacer placed in position on  wheel
Inner Spacer placed in position on wheel

Wheel bearing with dust seal retainer ring installed.
Wheel bearing with dust seal retainer ring installed.

Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings Diesel - Camper puller
2006 Toyota Corolla - My Daily driver
Past Rides:
HMCS Assiniboine (DDH 234)
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:21 pm

It does not go up flush against the hub. If the bearing surface was flush with the hub when you seated it, you're good. This came up once before, you can see his picture as well: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73&p=75480#p75480

If you notice in the picture where I removed it, there is a difference on the inner part of the spacer - part of it is filthy, where it was exposed, and part is (relatively) clean, where it was not exposed:

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 am

I am unsure what you mean by

"If the bearing surface was flush with the hub when you seated it, you're good."

The bearing on the other side of the wheel (final drive side) is sitting flush with the hub ...

Are you talking about the bearing on the brake caliper side of the wheel sitting flush with the "inner hub" ...

I will remove the retainer ring and take a picture of the caliper side bearing sitting inside the wheel on that side ...

I did not want to press that bearing in too far for fear of "mamming the race against the insdie tube/guide.

Are you saying I should push it in until it is flush with the inner hub?

Sorry for being thick, and asking what might appear to be dumb questions but I want to get this right

tks
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am

Hi Greg. There are no dumb questions, and you aren't being thick. I understand that you want to get it right. They have put up with my simple questions, and nobody minds you asking things until you get it.

My questions for you are...do you believe the bearing is in all the way? Are you sure they are the correct bearings? When you were putting it in did you feel a little resistance when it bottomed out? There is a point where the bearing will stop going in. It needs to be seated all the way, or it could cause your wheel to fail. Please make sure the bearing is in all the way. Then, as WinAdmin noted, the flange of the spacer will be slightly short of being flush to the wheel itself. Your photo looks normal to me as far as where the spacer will end up. And you had asked ... does this inner spacer actually press up against the bearing? I believe it has to, not sure how else it is possible. Once you put the axle in and torque it down, they will be pressed together. Maybe I am not understanding that question though. Just make sure the bearing is in right, and there will be maybe a 1/4 inch gap between the bearing flange and the wheel. Write back if it is still unclear.

Greg_C
1976 GL1000 (WIP)

Post by Greg_C » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks Pat,

I'll go back and check and ensure that the inner bearing is seated all the way in ... I guess I'm being too concerned about pinching the inner guide/tube...

And I just figured out that the inner spacer can press against the inside of the bearing on the left side without any harm as both the inside dia of the bearing and the spacer are fixed/don't rotate relative to each other ... duh...

thanks again WingAdmin and Pat

Greg
Current Rides:
1976 GL1000 (WIP)
Past Rides:
1979 MGB Roadster
1980 GL1100 Interstate

aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Post by aznyaz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

There are several references to lubing or applying grease at certain points along the way without any mention of what type of grease. Do I use the same Moly paste used for the drive splines on caliper bolts and pins as well as the axle? Also, what kind of grease is applied through the nipple above the driveshaft to final drive connection?

Thanks.

MJ

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:07 pm

aznyaz wrote:There are several references to lubing or applying grease at certain points along the way without any mention of what type of grease. Do I use the same Moly paste used for the drive splines on caliper bolts and pins as well as the axle? Also, what kind of grease is applied through the nipple above the driveshaft to final drive connection?

Thanks.

MJ
WingAdmin wrote:Well thanks for that. :)

As for the grease: Moly grease is unique in that it is not "flung" off the drive at high RPM. It's much more viscous than regular grease, much like a paste, so that it stays in place, among other things.

For the brake pivots, axle, U-joint and other items that don't require it, I use regular quality high-temperature grease. High-temperature grease is important especially around the brake caliper, as it can get quite hot during use.
Above is the answer to your grease question as posted in the article.

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks. Does the same high temperature grease apply for the fitting behind the drive shaft to final drive assembly?

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 pm

aznyaz wrote:Thanks. Does the same high temperature grease apply for the fitting behind the drive shaft to final drive assembly?
I believe so. I can't remember exactly what type it is. Whenever I change the rear tire, I have my local Honda dealer put it on, and shoot that fitting full of grease for me. They don't charge me for it. It doesn't take much. I hope WingAdmin sees this question. If he doesn't, you could try to private message him. I do believe though, that a long time ago, when I would put on my own tires, that it was an all purpose high temp grease.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:
aznyaz wrote:Thanks. Does the same high temperature grease apply for the fitting behind the drive shaft to final drive assembly?
I believe so. I can't remember exactly what type it is. Whenever I change the rear tire, I have my local Honda dealer put it on, and shoot that fitting full of grease for me. They don't charge me for it. It doesn't take much. I hope WingAdmin sees this question. If he doesn't, you could try to private message him. I do believe though, that a long time ago, when I would put on my own tires, that it was an all purpose high temp grease.
Yup, that's what I always put in that fitting - generic, all-purpose grease. I believe I use Valvoline.

I have special high-temperature brake grease that I use for parts in the caliper (like slider pins). For parts that for the most part stay in one place and don't move (or at least aren't supposed to move) like driveline flange pins and splines, I use the Moly.

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Sorry about this. I shoujld have asked this earlier. At some point late in the process the splines at the front of the final drive that attach to the drive shaft are shown getting a dose of moly. Doesn't the grease coming in from the fitting go into this area and aren't they pretty much mixing together?

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:16 pm

aznyaz wrote:Sorry about this. I shoujld have asked this earlier. At some point late in the process the splines at the front of the final drive that attach to the drive shaft are shown getting a dose of moly. Doesn't the grease coming in from the fitting go into this area and aren't they pretty much mixing together?
No problem. The gears do not get grease from the fitting. There is a seal that stops any from getting onto that part of the drive. The all purpose grease in the zert is lubricating internal parts, not the final drive gear. ONLY moly on that gear. If any grease seeps past that seal, you put in too much. Wipe it out, and make sure only moly is on the gear.

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 pm

On the fender removal, the one illustrated in this DIY is in 2 pieces but mine appears to be only one. Will this require complete removal or will I be able to get the wheel off without removing the fender. It looks like mine is slightly shorter at the back end than the one in the photos.

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:05 pm

aznyaz wrote:On the fender removal, the one illustrated in this DIY is in 2 pieces but mine appears to be only one. Will this require complete removal or will I be able to get the wheel off without removing the fender. It looks like mine is slightly shorter at the back end than the one in the photos.
That kinda depends on how much shorter you fender actually is. A photo might help us answer your question. But if it were me, I might just try it, but I have a nice motorcycle lift that would help out a bunch. If you don't have a lift, try to borrow one. You can use mine if you wanna come to Michigan to get it.

Here is a photo of my lift. They are worth their weight in gold(wing).
Attachments

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks for the response. My fender is about 5" +/- shorter than the one shown in the tutorial. While it seems like it might help in getting the wheel out from under the fender, it doesn't, and the lift would have been helpful but not entirely nesessary. There is also the matter of clearing the framework of the Hondline bags that I have. They're not the mounted saddlbags. So, what I did was remove the wood blocks holding the wheel and pull the final drive off the shaft. Once off, I removed the final drive from the wheel thereby creating more space to tilt the wheel to get it out from under the fender and framework mentioned above.

Some other observations made during this process (I'm actually replacing my rear tire) were as follows:

1. There is no outer spacer on the axle. The shoulder of the axle actually rests on the caliper arm (which in the case of an '81, is
different than the one in the DIY), the inner spacer is between the caliper arm and the wheel (same as the one shown).
2. My right side shock did not have a sleeve that slides over the final drive mounting pin (this could have been something that was
jury rigged because the rubber bushing that goes around the mounting pin is pretty tight and seems to work OK).

Bandito40
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Post by Bandito40 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:59 pm

I really appreciate these steps, they were extremely helpful. Question, as I was torquing the nuts back on the brake rotor a few sheared off...
I was looking to find the best way to replace these and where to get the parts...
Thx

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Wow! How could they have sheared off? Unless they were over torqued originally. Are they easy to replace? Do they screw in and out.

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Bandito40 wrote:I really appreciate these steps, they were extremely helpful. Question, as I was torquing the nuts back on the brake rotor a few sheared off...
I was looking to find the best way to replace these and where to get the parts...
Thx
Well I'm not sure I am understanding, but here is a start link for parts for your Wing. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 2#sch23432

If you sheared a few off, can't you just remove all of them and pop the rotor off, and then take one of the sheared nut/bolts to a hardware store and match them up?

Bandito40

Post by Bandito40 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:20 am

Are these threaded into the hub or press fitted?

Bandito40

Post by Bandito40 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Was able to remove the original bolts and replace with 8.8 grade head bolts for the brake rotor...

Thanks for the help...
Attachments