How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
chartoo
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Re: How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel

Post by chartoo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:06 am

Hey guys, had a good read of all this but still have a question. Does the flat washer spacer on the 81 go over the big fat part of the axel (A) or over the skinner bit of the axel (B). See picture for help understanding me. A or B? Just gonna find a washer to fit...
Attachments

aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Post by aznyaz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 am

After reading your post, chartoo I'm a little concerned about the procedure I just completed. When I removed my rear wheel there was a flat washer on the inside of the axle nut (right side) and no spacer (or washer) on the left side, just the rear collar as it is called on the Cheap Cycle Parts website, between the wheel and the caliper bracket. The fat part of the axle butts right against the outside of the caliper bracket. So, everything appears correct on my installation according to the Cheap Cycle Parts exploded view except for the washer on the right side at the axle nut.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:56 pm

aznyaz wrote:After reading your post, chartoo I'm a little concerned about the procedure I just completed. When I removed my rear wheel there was a flat washer on the inside of the axle nut (right side) and no spacer (or washer) on the left side, just the rear collar as it is called on the Cheap Cycle Parts website, between the wheel and the caliper bracket. The fat part of the axle butts right against the outside of the caliper bracket. So, everything appears correct on my installation according to the Cheap Cycle Parts exploded view except for the washer on the right side at the axle nut.
There should be NO washer on either side. On the left side, the axle is held in place with the pinch portion of the swingarm. There is a spacer in between the swingarm and the final drive, shown in the diagram below as item 3.

The threaded end of the axle emerges from the center of the final drive. The castle nut threads onto that axle, is torqued to the correct value, backed off until the castle nut lines up with the hole in the axle, and the cotter pin is pushed through the axle. There should be no washer there at all.

On some 1100's, there is a washer on the left side, in between the caliper mount and the swingarm. It goes, in order: wheel, spacer (#3 in diagram), caliper mount, washer, swingarm. I suspect someone may have erroneously moved that washer to the right side.

Rear wheel, 1981 GL1100 Interstate
Rear wheel, 1981 GL1100 Interstate

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:34 pm

If you look at the attached photos you can see what the sequence of parts is on my rear wheel. In photo 1827 I am pulling the axle out. The shock blocks some of the view but you can see the caliper bracket has swung down but is still on the axle since it is partially in place. In photo 1828 you can see the fat part of the axle that fits in the pinch part of the swing arm and there is no "washer" or "spacer between it and the caliper bracket. On the other side of the caliper brackiet is the spacer (part #3 in your attachment) that fits into the wheel in a grease seal and up against the left side wheel bearing

. I will take a some more photos of the finished job showing the right side and the axle nut with the washer and cotter pin as it's installed on my bike. If I can visualize correctly, the washer keeps the axle nut in a position so the castellations won't turn too far in on the axle and miss the cotter pin hole. Now, if the washer was placed between the caliper bracket and the swing arm on the left side that wouldn't happen, but the exploded view of the rear wheel asembly does not show a washer on either side, only the inner spacer. Is it possible that the washer is supposed to be on the left side but someone removed the wheel before I owned the bike and put it back together the wrong way?
Attachments

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Here is my rear wheel assembly with the aformentioned washer on the right side at the axle nut along with a view of the left side which looks like it could use a washer between the fat part of the axle and the caliper bracket. You see that if I take the washer out the castellated nut would probably turn onto the axle beyond the cotter pin hole. But since there is no call for the washer on the right side, doesn't it seem logical that it would be used on the left as the outer spacer between the fat part of the axle and the caliper bracket?
Attachments

chartoo
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Post by chartoo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:49 am

Fantasic! Thanks very much

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 am

Don't go by what I've posted. This is just the way my rear wheel was installed, and I put it back together that way. I've put over 6,000 miles on my bike like this with no ill effects but I want to hear from someone that it's ok or I need to put it together with the washer on the left side. It seems logical that the washer should go on the left side between the fat part of the axle and the caliper bracket. I have seen many posts in this DIY article that show a washer as I've just described.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:46 am

aznyaz wrote:Here is my rear wheel assembly with the aformentioned washer on the right side at the axle nut along with a view of the left side which looks like it could use a washer between the fat part of the axle and the caliper bracket. You see that if I take the washer out the castellated nut would probably turn onto the axle beyond the cotter pin hole. But since there is no call for the washer on the right side, doesn't it seem logical that it would be used on the left as the outer spacer between the fat part of the axle and the caliper bracket?
That does seem logical - if removing the washer from the right side (where it definitely doesn't belong) would cause the nut to screw on too far for the cotter pin hole, then adding the washer on the left side would pull the axle back enough that the nut would then line up with that hole.

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:02 am

Exactly. I just looked at another exploded view from the Cheap Cycle Parts site but this was the rear brake assembly and it shows a spacer which would seem to coinside with the correct assembly sequence. So far, I've had no ill effects of having the washer/spacer on the right, but I want to get it RIGHT this time!

wdwillis
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 Gold Wing
mine
1980 GL-1100 Interstate
my son's

Post by wdwillis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:09 pm

Wingadmin,
this article really saved my butt... and my wallet.
made a tire swap on my 78 GL1000 a breeze
THANK YOU!!
Aliit ori'shya tal'din - Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la - Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!

davmaj2
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by davmaj2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 am

When I tighten down axle nut to spec on my 81' the rear wheel locks up.
Both spacers are installed, caliper mount is not rubbing on the rotor.
I can loosen the nut up about 3 turns and everything frees up.
What am I missing?
1981 GL1100 Interstate

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 am

Look at the exploded veiws of the rear wheel and rear brake caliper assemblies on the cheap cycle parts site and make sure you've got everything installed properly. Just looking at those really helped me on this project.

davmaj2
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by davmaj2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:14 pm

UPDATE:
I have looked at the exploded views and I have the spacers needed.
I thought I may have bent the swing arm or axle when removing the wheel, so I went to a local motorcycle salvage yard and purchased another swing arm, axle, spacers and caliper mount.
Put it all together and still binds when torqued to spec.
I have talked to the local Honda shop as well as a couple smaller bike shops and they don't know why it's doing it.
Please help, weather is getting nice and I want my baby back on the road.
1981 GL1100 Interstate

stevo7108
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Trike

Post by stevo7108 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 pm

I must say the article and pictures made the job easier. Started out just changing brake pads but decided to check drive shaft and final drive splines while I had most everything off anyway. The pictures of the worn and rusted out splines were a good motivator! Good thing I did as I discovered an o-ring on the final drive to drive shaft coupling was partially cut. According to the parts list it took a 60mm but found out it's actually 47mm x 2.5mm. The local dealer didn't have the part but found one at: Coffey County Honda in New Strawn, KS (620)-364-2285. They have some parts for older GW's as they were the 5th Honda dealer in the US.
Splines are in good condition as they were lubed in the past.

timbucto
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by timbucto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks much for the time and effort. This was a huge help!

IHCB100
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
2007 Shadow Spirit 1100

Post by IHCB100 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:18 pm

I just finished replacing my rear tire on my 83 Goldwing and this article helped out very much! I am a mechanic by trade and can take apart a old truck and put it back together but replacing the rear wheel on the Goldwing seemed like it would be difficult but after I got the saddlebags off it turned out to be an easy task to remove and replace. I have a Honda shop manual for my GW but this article answered a lot of questions for me. Thanks for posting these procedures and I am glad I found this forum.

Nick

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:59 pm

IHCB100 wrote:I just finished replacing my rear tire on my 83 Goldwing and this article helped out very much! I am a mechanic by trade and can take apart a old truck and put it back together but replacing the rear wheel on the Goldwing seemed like it would be difficult but after I got the saddlebags off it turned out to be an easy task to remove and replace. I have a Honda shop manual for my GW but this article answered a lot of questions for me. Thanks for posting these procedures and I am glad I found this forum.

Nick
Glad to hear you got some help from the article!

bikommuter
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I,1980 CM400T, 2004 VTX 1800 N

Post by bikommuter » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:57 pm

I finished changing the rear tire on my '83 GL1100 folowing your instructions and was surprised how easy it went, however, I cheated a little. Rather than raising the rear wheel to pull the axel out, I slipped a small floor jack under the engine at the front and raised the front wheel off the floor. Front end up, rear end down. Also made it extremely easy to "roll" the rear wheel into position to line up the final drive input with the drive shaft. I did still have to jack up the wheel to line up other parts, but not as far. :P

IHCB100
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
2007 Shadow Spirit 1100

Post by IHCB100 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Well I enjoyed the 83 GW but sold it, too many things were going bad or needing to be fixed before going for a ride. I do plan on getting another one later but it will be a newer one I have been looking at the GL1500 pretty close as there seem to be some good ones for sale near by.

Nick

banjomt
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by banjomt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Hey guys,
I just want to say thank you for the articles. I've recently retired from the Army, took a job at Dothan Power Sports in Dothan, AL selling parts.
First thing I had to do is change my shocks, next I decided to grease the splines (good thing I did they were dry). Without all you guys help I wouldn't be able to do it. So thanks a lot. I might have more specific questions later on trouble shooting my rear brakes.

Banjomt
(Mike Tatum)
1983 GL1100A

newomij

Post by newomij » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:51 am

I hope these new replies show up somewhere visible. Pulling my rear wheel and I've got to step 18 & 19. 18 was a bit confusing but the socket wrench is pictured on the 'pin' removing it and the bolt under the 'Honda' has already been removed in the same photo? 19 shows removing a screw that holds the cover of the caliper? My Aspy is missing the screw. A half inch to the left of where that screw used to be is a hex head fastener flush with the caliper cover.

Followed all steps to 19. No screw. I'm unsure of what "remove the rotor cover" looks like. I can't get the caliper off the rotor. Hell, I'm not even sure I'm using the right words here. Help?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:43 am

newomij wrote:I hope these new replies show up somewhere visible. Pulling my rear wheel and I've got to step 18 & 19. 18 was a bit confusing but the socket wrench is pictured on the 'pin' removing it and the bolt under the 'Honda' has already been removed in the same photo? 19 shows removing a screw that holds the cover of the caliper? My Aspy is missing the screw. A half inch to the left of where that screw used to be is a hex head fastener flush with the caliper cover.

Followed all steps to 19. No screw. I'm unsure of what "remove the rotor cover" looks like. I can't get the caliper off the rotor. Hell, I'm not even sure I'm using the right words here. Help?
They sure do show up!

As for step 18, you're correct. The bolt below the "Honda" on the caliper has been removed in that photograph, and the socket is over top of the second caliper bolt in the process of removing it.

You can also see them being removed here:

As for the screw holding the cover in place:

Here's a better picture of that screw being removed:

Once that screw is removed, the cover then is pulled upward to remove. If you don't have a screw, I wonder what is holding that cover in place? Try lifting it upward to see if it comes free.

newomij

Post by newomij » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Once that screw is removed, the cover then is pulled upward to remove. If you don't have a screw, I wonder what is holding that cover in place? Try lifting it upward to see if it comes free.
Ok. Well, NO rotor cover which explains no screw to hold it on.

So, then, is there a trick to getting the caliper up off the rotor? It seems like the brake is on just enough to not allow the brake pads to get over the lip of the rotor.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:23 am

newomij wrote:
Ok. Well, NO rotor cover which explains no screw to hold it on.

So, then, is there a trick to getting the caliper up off the rotor? It seems like the brake is on just enough to not allow the brake pads to get over the lip of the rotor.
Sounds like your rear brakes are going to be in need of an overhaul.

I will usually put a flat screwdriver in between the caliper and the edge of the rotor and VERY gently pry upwards, first on one side, then the other.

If there is a place where you can get a screwdriver in between a frame element and the caliper itself rather than the rotor and the caliper, then that's even better.

Sometimes if you pull up on the caliper while an assistant rotates the wheel, that will help it come off as well.

newomij

Post by newomij » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:15 pm

Thank you, Wingman. I was able to pry it off and am now using the DIY Article "How to rebuild the rear brake caliper." After I get a new tire on the wheel tomorrow, I will continue with both DIY Articles to put most of the rear end back together. Planning to rebuild the shocks, too, thanks to another DIY from RBGERSON after I get a pair of working ignition coils installed. Didn't find the DIY for that one. Just winging it. Hope I can remember where all the bolts and connectors go.

Another praise for this amazing web site! Couldn't, wouldn't, have even tried any of this without the excellent posts by knowledgeable, superb talent willing to document and photograph each and every step of these processes and insert valuable tips that make anyone who can follow directions with pictures look like an amazing mechanic!

Thank you!!