Removing the hard bags on each side of your motorcycle is required for several maintenance items, particularly those dealing with the rear wheel, rear brakes, final drive, driveshaft, or exhaust.
1. Remove the seat from the motorcycle. Remove the lock tops from the bags, if they are not already off.
2. Each bag contains one of the rear turn signals, so it has a wire running up the outside of the bag next to the wheel, and connecting to barrel connectors under the passenger seat area. Disconnect the wires from their connectors by gently pulling on the connectors (NOT the wires) until they release. Pull each wire out from under the seat frame, and make sure it is free of the motorcycle. Remember how the wires are run, so that you can run them the same way during reinstallation.
3. Each bag is fastened to the motorcycle with four bolts - two on the inner side, and two on the bottom. Use a socket wrench with an extension, or a short wrench to hold each bottom bolt in the inside of the bag from turning while you use another wrench on the outside bottom of the bag to remove the nut fastening the bolt to the frame. Leave the bolts in place inside the bag.
4. Use a socket wrench or wrench to unscrew the side bolts from the inside of the bag. There are no nuts on the side bolts. Make sure you support the bag while removing the last bolt, so that it doesn't fall off and get scratched.
5. Gently pull the bag up, then away from the motorcycle.
6. To reinstall, the procedure is reverse of removal. Line up the bolts in the bottom of the bag with the holes in the frame, and gently maneuver the bag into place.
7. Reinstall and tighten both side bolts.
8. Reinstall and tighten both outer bottom nuts.
9. Re-route the wiring up under the seat mounting frame, and reconnect the barrel connectors. Make sure you match the wire colors, so that the correct turn signal is connected to the correct side!
Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
- Sponsored Links
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:38 pm
- Location: Largo, FL United States
- Motorcycle: 81 Honda Goldwing
When I got my bike it dint have ANY of the side bags (or blots) I have been looking for pics of the bolts as I got (all bolts) off eBay but not seeing the right ones to bolt all the parts on the I got from jerryc19 (Thanks Jerry!!) Can any one show pic's of ALL the bolts that put on all the chrome ??
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Leif Hugo and 2 guests