Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

How to remove and replace your seat

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:57 pm

It seems like just about every time you need to do any kind of maintenance on a Goldwing, you have to remove the seat. Fortunately, it's a quick and simple operation.

1. Remove the saddlebag (pannier) lock tops.

2. Using an allen key (or hex bit on a socket wrench, as in these pictures), loosen and then remove the hex head bolt on the right side of the seat. It is near the rear of the seat, in the passenger area, just under the lower lip of the seat on the right hand side. You'll have to maneuver up over the edge of the saddlebag, which is removed for clarity in these pictures. There is an indent in the plastic of the bags, hidden by the rubber weatherstripping - so just push your tool in there: even though it looks like it won't fit - it will! The bag and weatherstripping is not shown in this picture for clarity.

3. Again using an allen key, loosen and then remove the hex head bolt and adjustment handle on the left side of the seat. It is in the same position on the left side as the hex head bolt is on the right side. This assembly includes a spring, so be sure not to let the assembly come apart. Again, push your wrench right down into cutout hidden by the weatherstripping, as shown in this picture.

4. Lifting up the rear of the seat slightly, pull it to the back. You will expose the seat front retaining tab - a three-inch wide tab that fits into a slot built into the back of the false tank. This tab needs to slide completely free of its slot. Once this tab is free, the seat can be lifted up and away from the motorcycle. This picture is looking toward the rear of the motorcycle.

5. To reinstall, place the seat onto the motorcycle, and lift the back end slightly, while sliding the front of the seat front retaining tab into its slot.

6. Slide the seat all the way forward.

7. Install and tighten the left side hex head bolt and adjustment assembly.

8. Install and tighten the right side hex head bolt.

nhegge
Motorcycle: 1982 ASPENCADE
1978 GL1000
1987 Rebel
1981 CM 400

Re: How to remove and replace your seat

Postby nhegge » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Thank you , gotta track down some electromagic problems and gotta remove seat adt false tank . New to me bike came with original service and owners manuals . They don't tell how to do either job . Maybe the flu is just makeing me unable to find . :lol: Thanks again
Be Nice 'til it's time to be Not Nice

ericbailey12@aol.com
Motorcycle: 82 gl1100I

Postby ericbailey12@aol.com » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:18 am

I was wondering will a seat off of a 80 fit an 82?

hisself
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby hisself » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:45 pm

From everything I have read, it will! :D

Return to “GL1100 DIY Articles”