Poorboy alternator conversion on my GL1200A

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1200
  • Sponsored Links
ember1205
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda VFR 800Fi

Re: Poorboy alternator conversion on my GL1200A

Post by ember1205 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:57 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The bottom of the radiator needs to be moved forward about 5/8 of an inch. I made 2 spacers that screwed onto the original mounting studs:
MVC-036S.jpg
MVC-039S.jpg
I busted one of my radiator studs off last fall pulling it apart to do the timing belts. Something like this would be a godsend so I don't have to cut the stud off, drill it, tap it, and set a new stud in there. Any chance you could offer some tips on making something like this, or know of a commercial item that would allow me to "repair" the stud I busted?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:10 pm

ember1205 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:The bottom of the radiator needs to be moved forward about 5/8 of an inch. I made 2 spacers that screwed onto the original mounting studs:

I busted one of my radiator studs off last fall pulling it apart to do the timing belts. Something like this would be a godsend so I don't have to cut the stud off, drill it, tap it, and set a new stud in there. Any chance you could offer some tips on making something like this, or know of a commercial item that would allow me to "repair" the stud I busted?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Those spacers are not a replacement for the studs - the existing studs actually screw into the back of them, and the radiator then goes onto the front of the spacer. There are a few ways to replace the stud, but the best way is to weld a new one on. You could try drilling the frame, but that could compress it, and would certainly weaken it. It doesn't have to hold a huge load, so perhaps even something like a stainless band clamp with a stud could be used - fasten the clamp around the frame, and mount the radiator (or spacer) to the stud:

ember1205

Post by ember1205 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks for getting back to me..

I realize that the adapters screw on over the existing studs. I broke mine at the outer portion, so there is still some left. Even if I had to run a die down it to put threads on it, it would work.

Does a product like that exist in the market place where I could just buy it? Or, do they need to be manufactured?

ommari
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspecade SEI

Post by ommari » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Greetings winger ,
I pray you all are in the best of health and riding safely.
I have a starting issue concerning my poorboy conversion which was on my bike when i purchased it. Its an 86 GL1200 SEI.
It ran great for a few months than something started draining my battery at start up. It will start up reading 11.4 volts. I ride it to my legion post, 1 mile away. Lets say im there an hour or two, come out insert the key with a reading of 11.4 volts
And each time i hit the starter (3 times ) it drops to 10.4, 9.4, 8.4 . now im looking for a jump start to get home.. once home, i turn it off and try restarting volts are 8.4 dead in the water ! I know nothing about repairing , troubleshooting on my own. My first bike since
My 350 honda back in 1980.
One thing i have noticed was , reading though here i see guys run a belt around the alternator
To a pulley mounted to the crank. Mine runs
Around the alternator and a pulley around the fan.. is this a improper setup which is causing
My problems ?
Thanks you in advance.

Ommari.ro@gmail.com

ember1205

Post by ember1205 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:01 pm

This is not likely the actual issue you're suffering from, but I'll put it out there in case it's related...

I have the same bike and had an issue when I bought it where the fuel pump had been rewired to run full time once the key was turned to the "ON" position. Put your key in the ignition, turn it to "ON", and listen. The fuel pump should kick on to pressurize the fuel rail. Once the pressure comes up, the pump should kick back off (about 3-4 seconds). If the pump keeps running, there's a chance that it's contributing to the drawing down on the battery (at least at start-up time).

I traced all the wiring out on mine, pulled the computer control out and probed it out with a meter to ensure that the internal relay was working properly to control the fuel pump, then restored the wiring to how it was SUPPOSED to be hooked up.

ommari
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspecade SEI

Post by ommari » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply, i have heard what you are speaking of.
But it comes on for a few seconds and.turns
Off so i dont think that is my problem,
I just read but confused, some say leaving the kill switch in the on position will drain the battery ?
My crusie control doesnt work and the light is always on ? I read the charging system runs though the cruise control,?
Well i guess this will be like my first car,
Could not afford to have it fixed so i will just
Have to tear it apart from bits and pieces of
Things i am reading and pray i get lucky ?
Thanks for your reply and help. It is deeply
Appreciated.

ember1205

Post by ember1205 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:58 am

Hitting the kill switch and leaving the key in the ON position will definitely drain the battery. If you flip the key to OFF, however, all power draw stops.

darnstators1234
Motorcycle: 1987 honda goldwing interstate

Post by darnstators1234 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:07 pm

were can I get the poor boy kit is the alternater they way to go instead of putting a stator back on..I have a 1987 honda goldwing interstate

jayhawker
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Limted Edition

Post by jayhawker » Tue May 17, 2016 9:19 pm

I did the poor boy alternator conversion this weekend but made all the parts myself. In the process of completing the task there was quite a bit of grinding to do where the support bracket for the horn was removed. I will make a suggestion that you should remove your battery before doing the grinding as I had a mishap when some sparks caused the battery to explode. No real damage, and I wasn't injured but the outcome sure could of be worse. There seems to be some questions concerning how to connect the alternator from the 89-93 Geo Metro. There are four connections and not all are used. While looking at the alternator in the position it would be installed with the output lug on top pointing up. There is three connections where the plug normally goes. The one connection that is running in a different direction of the other two is the "S" Terminal it senses battery voltage, the IG terminal is the one at the bottom of plug and a switched 12V connects here, it turns the regulator on. The other terminal is not used as it was the ground for the idiot light on the Geo. What I did was to run a jumper from the large out put lug that goes to the battery to the "S" terminal and ran a 12v source from the fuse box with a 15 amp fuse to the IG terminal. The output is running from around 13v at idle and 13.9 at 3000 rpm. I see that some were having trouble with the alternator putting out to much voltage and the reason could be because they were only using the IG terminal. I'm not saying that the way I connected mine is the right way but as of now it is working for me, "Knock On Wood" If there is someone interested in doing a conversion and wants to gather up the parts needed I can tell you what I used in way of crankshaft pulley and drive belt and how I made the bushing for the bolt that holds the pulley in place as well as the other necessary modification. Yes I almost forgot the best part, the whole conversion cost me $163.00 and about 12 hours of work and a couple sleepless nights as I worked out the process in my head.
You can click on the pictures to enlarge them!!!
Attachments

This is the finished product, doesn't look bad for DIY project.
This is the finished product, doesn't look bad for DIY project.

Just another look
Just another look

HONDA'S
Motorcycle: 1984GL1200I , 1982 GL500 I , 1972 CB100

Post by HONDA'S » Mon May 23, 2016 12:25 am

Hi. I did my 85 Interstate earlier this summer. Had ran an EBAY stator,it only lasted 6 months. So I did everything myself and the metro alt.. was able to fit without timing any fairing. I did have to trim the very bottom fairing pieces both sides for the radiator being mounted forward. I also added a piece of diamond plate at the very bottom of the chrome
radiator cover to dress it up and make it look a little better. All the info I got was offline and pictures were available also. This was probably one of the most fun projects on my Goldwing I have done probably because it turned out so well

Beerlover
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Post by Beerlover » Sun May 14, 2017 9:09 am

I just put the Poorboy conversion on my 86 Interstate. It is charging fine, but when I leave the bike sitting for a few days, the battery is dead. I charged the battery up and did a test on the alternator - it is putting out 14-15V at idle, but when I check for AC voltage, there is a small amount of AC coming through at the battery. Does this mean I got a lemon alternator from Poorboy? Another question - since you disconnect the factory voltage regulator/rectifier during the Poorboy install, what is regulating the voltage from the alternator under the new setup?

jayhawker

Post by jayhawker » Sun May 14, 2017 12:59 pm

the alternator has it's own regulator so no need for the old one, if you are getting AC current at the battery perhaps your alternator has a bad diode which is used to convert AC to half wave DC

Beerlover

Post by Beerlover » Sun May 14, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm definitely getting AC voltage at the battery according to my multimeter set on AC voltage. Does that mean I have to find a new alternator? The darn thing doesn't have an hour's worth of use!

jayhawker

Post by jayhawker » Sun May 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Need more information, tell me how much AC voltage does your meter show. Some cheaper meters don't always tell the truth about the type of voltage it sees. Does it show close to 14 volts DC when the bike is running? So now switch to AC and see what that reads. I would say if you are reading DC volts in the upper 13 or lower 14 that it really isn't putting out AC Current. My alternator is putting out 13.9 volts at a fast idle. Your poor boy installation did you buy the kit or do it yourself as I did. Did you remove the old wiring from the on board alternator and insulate the wiring with electrical tape? If your battery is draining down overnight then there might be a high short somewhere. Another thing you should have gotten your exciter lead going to the alternator from a source that is switched because if it isn't it will pull current even if the engine isn't running. I came off the auxiliary lugs on the fuse box setting on top of the air cleaner with an 15 amp inline fuse. Hope this helps
Richard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Most AC meters will show a reading when connected to a DC power source - not an accurate reading, but a reading nonetheless.

They will also read zero (or very close to zero, and usually fluctuating) when set to DC and connected to an AC power source.

Basically, if you are reading DC, your meter needs to be on DC, and when reading AC, your meter needs to be on AC.

You can be guaranteed that your battery is not receiving AC, or else there would be burning, melting electrical parts on your bike.

Beerlover

Post by Beerlover » Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm getting 14.5 volts DC at idle, or near that. When I switch to AC, it says 30 volts AC - which seems a little hard to believe. I disconnected the regulator plug, but left the regulator in the bike. I cut the yellow wires from the stator and wrapped them in electrical tape. I guess I'm going to assume my multimeter is not giving me accurate ac voltage since nothing is melting and it seems to be running fine and getting a nice full dose of DC power at idle and above. I suspect my battery might just be in need of replacement. I had it on a battery tender over the winter, but the battery tender died before winter did so maybe I just need to put a new battery in and go from there. I'm going to assume the new charging system is all good and the battery is the culprit. I'll report back if that is not the case.

I want to emphasize that I think the poorboy kit is great and I ordered the complete package direct from poorboy. Instructions were thorough and everything appears to be very high quality. He responded to my emails really quickly and shipping was super fast when I sent payment. I don't mean for any part of this to cast doubt on his integrity.

jayhawker

Post by jayhawker » Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Beerlover, I think you are good to go, and replacing the battery might fix the problem if it continues to discharge after a few days of sitting. David the guy that sells the poor boy kit on ebay, he and I have become good friends. The guy that started the poor boy conversion died last year so you don't have to worry about offending him. David runs a small motorcycle shop in Washington State, don't know if there are other who sell the kit? I know there are other kits available other than the original Poor Boy.
Richard

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Have been following this thread. There should be no AC out of the alternator. If this is a possibility, I would recommend taking the alternator to your local electrical shop and have it tested to make sure that it is operating correctly. The shop will also be able to tell you if the internal regulator is functioning.

I think the issue of the battery discharging over a couple of days has been addressed ; however, you could take it to a battery shop and have it load tested.

When I installed the alt conversion on my '85 LTD, I have the 12 VDC excitation wire fused from my accessory fuse block that is switched (installed a relay) and only has power when the bike is operating.

Just a few thoughts.

Good Luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

HONDA'S
Motorcycle: 1984GL1200I , 1982 GL500 I , 1972 CB100

Post by HONDA'S » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:24 am

Just to let people know with my conversion I used the OEM hose cut in half with 2 copper street elbow's trimmed to fit closer and then soldered. The hose fits fairly well. It's been working about 1000 miles. So so far so good.