05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
08 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Electrical Connections Wiring Harness

Postby Lynnmarn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:49 pm

I have been watching and looking for a "how to" post with pictures on installing the Electrical Connections wiring harness and without success. So I decided, after a lot of work and perusing the web, to make my own feeble attempt even though I am a newbee to Goldwing repairs.

Just a little about the bike before I start. 1984 Goldwing Interstate with 14,000 miles and purchased from the original. Paid way to much($3,800) but I had stars in my eyes. I actually drove it 214 miles home and it ran flawlessly. The front fork seals were leaking and ruined the brake pads. I have replaced the fork seals and the front and rear pads (EBC organic pads). Everything is in great shape on the bike. Saddle bags, trunk, side panels, tank etc. The seat has been covered with cloth, which I don't like, and he installed an aftermarket radio/tape deck. Only the radio works.

Here goes my attempt to explain the Electrical Connection Stator wiring harness.

I received the wiring harness but couldn't determine how to install it just by reading the instructions. I didn't know where the Regulator was and the Coils. By looking online and viewing post here I found the regulator. But where are the coils. My manual has a schematic of them being right next to the regulator but not there. I looked up pictures of Coils being sold to find out what they looked like then I went to the Bike and looked. Sure enough they are located under the front frame under and in front of the air cleaner box. Now this took me several weeks and some hours to figure out. I didn't want to bother my mechanic friend for such a small item. I will try to explain the pictures below.
EC brown wire connected to the right coil. The original coil wire is detached.
Right coil wire
Right coil wire

Coils in front of and under the ignition coil box (took me a while to find these buggers.
Coils
Coils

EC brown wire attached to left coil. EC blue wire attached to original left coil wire
Left coil wire
Left coil wire

Regulator connector with wires cut but left the black wire connected. Regulator is at bottom of picture. EC relay switch is attached to fairing at top left of picture.
Regulator wire connector
Regulator wire connector

EC wire harness and Regulator wires soldered together.
Soldered Wires
Soldered Wires

EC wires (yellow) above and Stator (Pink I had already put extensions on the Stator wires and soldered them to the wires coming from the stator) wires at bottom. Other wires go to battery positive and negative terminals
EC Connector at Battery
EC Connector at Battery

EC says this is easy and would be if I had to do it again. My biggest challenge was finding the location on the bike of all the parts to connect too.

If anyone has done this before what would you do differently. Maybe solder the EC wires to the wire coming from the bottom of the stator wire connector then if the Regulator needed replacing no soldering would be needed. Just install the Regulator and plug in the connector.

Hope it is useful and please add comments for better clarification.
Attachments
Regulator wire connector
Regulator wire connector

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Electrical Connections Wiring Harness

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:02 pm

By the general info I can gleen from the web,this "harness" increases the wire size from the stator to the regulator module which is a good idea...
Soldering the connections are even better.

The relay is used to apply battery power direct to the ignition coils using the original harness to operate the relay...
This provides as much power to the coils as possible rather than through all the normal switches.Another good thing...

The only thing this does not address is that black wire feeding the regulator module...It is the "sense" wire and can (if in poor condition) cause a overcharging of the battery...

Verify the peak voltage directly on the battery posts after 5 minutes of running and at 3k rpm...
Expect the accurate DVM measured voltage to be no more that 14.4 volts/3500 rpm...
If it is much higher,another relay can be added to switch the black wire to correct for the voltage loss...

As a added benefit,I usually bypass the original "dogbone" fuse and install a waterproof large fuse holder (30amp) direct from the 2 red wires at the starter solenoid to the battery cable.

Lynnmarn
Motorcycle: Motorcycles I have owned
2006 Honda Rebel
09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Postby Lynnmarn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:51 pm

I have noticed the bike has more power and runs smoother. Not tons but it is definitely noticeable.
I invited a friend to ride my 08 RSTD and I rode the GL1200I. We went about 60 miles and I noticed the Wing was smoother at higher speeds (70-80mph) than it used to be. I haven't had it on a long ride with the saddle bags and trunk packed and my wife so I can't really say how the power is. It was definitely worth the money and the time especially since I learned a lot about the bike.

Earlier this summer the wife and I were coming back from Denver via I80 on my 08 RSTD. We were bucking a head wind of 30-45mph. The RSTD has that huge windshield up front and even though we couldn't feel much of the wind I couldn't get it over 65mph in 5th gear. Next time I will run it in 4th gear at 70mph which should give me more power and better mileage. My mileage went from 36mpg to 22mpg. We were getting a little scared as we made our way from Laramie to the next gas station in Rawlins which is 100 miles and I tell you there isn't much in between. Just wide open spaces. I80 is a truckers route so I was paranoid about going to slow and getting run over.

I wonder how this 84 GL1200 Interstate would do in a situation like that. I think it cuts the wind better then the RSTD but does it have the power/torque.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:36 pm

I think your 08 is a 1300 cc....the 1200 is obvious...

The 08... 1294cc 97 hp at 6000 rpm
The specs on the 1200... 1181cc..94 hp @ 7000 rpm

Not that much different other than it may cut through the head wind a bit easier with a full faring rather than just a windshield...

I've been on that highway with my gl1000....ran fine till I got to pulling hills(2 up fully loaded for a 2 week trip)...I should have had thicker oil and higher octane gas...It started pinging.

This was a drive from Denver,through Laramie and out to Oregon,Washington...Back across the top and down to Colo Spgs...4k miles.My mileage varied wide too...
Wore the new rear tire near bald.. :D

Lynnmarn
2006 Honda Rebel
09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Postby Lynnmarn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Now that sounds fun but not sure the wife could take that much riding continuously. I am not sure I could ride that much in two weeks. Our biggest problem is the seat on both the Goldwing and RSTD kill us before we even get 100 miles. I have to sell one of them in the spring and I don't know which one I will keep so a new seat is not in the budget until I know which one I will be keeping.

I like the smoothness of the wing and the great luggage space, but the yamaha is more stable and handles better at interstate speeds.

I lubricated the speedometer this evening with a lube kit which had the cable lubricant and special tool to clamp on. Couldn't us the tool because of the end on the cable so I lifted it as high as I could and spayed it up into the cable. Took it for a ride and it sounded ok. We will see tomorrow morning when it is really cold.

In the process of tightening the screw up on the cable I busted the plastic bracket Darn the luck. I wrapped a small zip tie around the remaining bracket and the screw. Seems pretty sturdy. It looks like I will have to replace the whole cable just for that one plastic bracket.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Lynnmarn wrote:In the process of tightening the screw up on the cable I busted the plastic bracket Darn the luck. I wrapped a small zip tie around the remaining bracket and the screw. Seems pretty sturdy. It looks like I will have to replace the whole cable just for that one plastic bracket.

I've done the exact same thing, on my 1100. VERY annoying, and a poor design!

When I replaced the cable, I put some Loctite on the screw, and only tightened it very gently.

Lynnmarn
2006 Honda Rebel
09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Postby Lynnmarn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Bad design. Loctite is a good idea when I replace it.
No noise this morning. Speedometer worked ok. How hard is it to replace that cable on this 1200 interstate. It looked like a lot of time and work.

Whisky
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
2002 Honda VTX 1800 Retro

Postby Whisky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:14 pm

I read your post. is this something you bought or did you just put it together. My problem is this. I have a 84 Goldwing Aspencade. I just installed a new stator. the battery is not charging. I check the 3 yellow wire up to the regulator and getting 32 volts idling. It had, it looks it an extra harness on it. I looked it up and it should not be there. It has a diode or condenser on it. I removed it thinking that someone jerry rigged it. Checked it again and still no charged to the battery. Did you have a similar problem? I am trying to figure this thing out so I can ride it without worrying about it going dead. Any idea would help.

Lynnmarn
2006 Honda Rebel
09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Postby Lynnmarn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 am

If you are referring to the wiring I installed, I bought the full wiring harness kit from Electrical Connections. I wasn't having a problem but I had read where this was a known problem with the GL1200 so I bought it to avoid future problems. It wasn't to hard to install but it took me a while to ifgure it out. I haven't had the bike for 2 years so I don't remember everything about it. I can't really tell you if this is the problem or not. If you read the whole post it may help you because I got a lot of help from others and from searching online. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Whisky

Postby Whisky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:51 am

I installed a new wire harness. I have a short inside the motor with the stator. So, I will have to get a alternator conversion kit. Don't plan on pulling the motor again and no guarantee it will fix it. since I just installed one Thanks for the help.

Hey_Allen
Motorcycle: 2001 CBR1100XX Blackbird

Postby Hey_Allen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
When I replaced the cable, I put some Loctite on the screw, and only tightened it very gently.

Just a heads up, Loctite is NOT happy with a number of plastics, and there are warnings on some of the bottles mentioning this.

At my work, we had numerous issues with injection molded ABS housings that were crazing and cracking near screw holes that were exposed to Loctite that had wicked up from the metal plate that they were screwed down onto. Once we eliminated the Loctite on those specific screws, the problem went away.

I love the stuff, but there are some areas that it isn't the best solution.

(Hi all, from a potential Goldwing owner, poking around for tips and troubles of the maybe next bike...)

Thomas Hudson
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Postby Thomas Hudson » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Just a shout out to Electrical Connection. I ordered my harness on Wednesday Night, came home Friday to find it waiting for me. Nice! It was packaged well, looks nice, has instructions, and a lollipop. They said the lolli should be the only thing in the order to suck. LOL.
Thanks for the write up here. I'll be installing my harness this weekend while I'm changing the timing belts.

Whisky

Postby Whisky » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:16 am

start at the front and work back is the only way to work it in.

Thomas Hudson
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Postby Thomas Hudson » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:48 am

Whisky wrote:start at the front and work back is the only way to work it in.

Thanks for the tip.

Return to “GL1200 DIY Articles”