Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse


Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1200
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Thomas Hudson
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Greensboro,NC
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Thomas Hudson » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:00 pm



Hi there. I'm new to the forum and wanted my first post to be something useful rather than the typical mirid of questions asked by new members. I'm sure that this has been covered somewhere on here before, but I could not find this mod on the site and wanted to share for those who haven't seen this.

Be sure to disconnect the Negative Battery cable before beginning to avoid shorting anything. Then disconnect the Positive battery cable. Now you're safe to make this repair without fear of causing an electrical short.
I removed the selinoid to make picture taking easier, you don't have to remove it to do this mod. Simply pop the selinoid out of its keeper and remove the original fuse and use a good quality blade style fuse holder to replace the main.

I hope the pictures help.

Here is where to find the main fuse.
Attachments
The main fuse is located right next to the battery.
The main fuse is located right next to the battery.
The main fuse is built into the starter selinoid.
The main fuse is built into the starter selinoid.
You have to unplug the wiring harness plugged into the selinoid to gain access to the main fuse.
You have to unplug the wiring harness plugged into the selinoid to gain access to the main fuse.


Last edited by Thomas Hudson on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Thomas Hudson
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Greensboro,NC
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Thomas Hudson » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:07 pm

Here is the selinoid removed for photos.
Attachments
Looks like a good spot to mount our water resistant fuse holder.
Looks like a good spot to mount our water resistant fuse holder.
Honda engineers were curtious enough to send a spare fuse.
Honda engineers were curtious enough to send a spare fuse.
Don't forget to tin the wires before putting connectors on and install heat shrink before hand as well.
Don't forget to tin the wires before putting connectors on and install heat shrink before hand as well.

User avatar
Thomas Hudson
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Greensboro,NC
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Thomas Hudson » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:13 pm

Soldier on the ring terminals and adding our heat shrink. We need to modify the cover of our selinoid a little to clear the wires.
Attachments
You will have to make a notch in the side of the cover to clear the wires.
You will have to make a notch in the side of the cover to clear the wires.
Don't forget to add the 30 amp fuse.
Don't forget to add the 30 amp fuse.
Simply use the original screws to secure your ring terminals to the selinoid, and your new circuit is complete.
Simply use the original screws to secure your ring terminals to the selinoid, and your new circuit is complete.
Last edited by Thomas Hudson on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thomas Hudson
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Greensboro,NC
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Thomas Hudson » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:17 pm

The finished install is pretty clean and adds a modern style blade fuse that's easier to find while out on your adventures should a problem arise. Put a spare in your tool kit so you won't find yourself stranded.

Thanks for taking time to read my post, I hope you found it helpful. Comments and input welcomed.
Thomas
Attachments

User avatar
HawkeyeGL1200
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Courtland, Va.
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:26 pm

two thumbs up... welcome to the site
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:37 pm

An excellent guide and a clean install - this is a great modification for four-cylinder Wings who may have difficulty (especially out on the road) finding a replacement master fuse. The 30 amp blade fuse are much more common, and available in most gas stations should it be required.

My only suggestion would be to mention that the fuse holder itself should be rated for at LEAST 30 amps. This means the wires connected to it will be quite large - like 10 gauge wire. If your fuse holder (or its wires) are rated for less than this, you run the risk of it melting and/or catching fire.

You can see a discussion about this type of fuse holder here: Radio Shack Fuse Holder

User avatar
HawkeyeGL1200
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Courtland, Va.
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Not to "plug" any chain of stores, but... I was in an "O'reilly's" Auto Parts a few months ago and they actually sell (at least that store does) dog-bone fuses in the store. They had like 3 or 4 in a pack in the bulb and fuse section of the store. My bikes have both been converted to a more modern set up, not in the way this member has done his, but with the solenoid upgraded to a newer style with a up to date fuse and holder. I think they're off a Ford Pick-up or something like that.

WingAdmin wrote:An excellent guide and a clean install - this is a great modification for four-cylinder Wings who may have difficulty (especially out on the road) finding a replacement master fuse. The 30 amp blade fuse are much more common, and available in most gas stations should it be required.

My only suggestion would be to mention that the fuse holder itself should be rated for at LEAST 30 amps. This means the wires connected to it will be quite large - like 10 gauge wire. If your fuse holder (or its wires) are rated for less than this, you run the risk of it melting and/or catching fire.

You can see a discussion about this type of fuse holder here: Radio Shack Fuse Holder
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

User avatar
Thomas Hudson
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Greensboro,NC
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Thomas Hudson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:08 pm

You are entirely correct. I should have stayed to use a replacement waterproof fuse holder rated for at least the same amperage as the dogbone fuse you are replacing, just incase the reader is working on a different bike. Both my GL500 and GL1200 had 30amp mains and both received this mod. The GL500 has been this way for a couple of years now, and since the 1200 is a recent acquisition, it is the first mod that I did to it. Then the stator plug removal was next. Now on to a new coil circuit to bypass the original harness and get the coils the power they need.
Thanks for the encouragement, the warm welcome, and the constructive criticism.
Thomas

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:06 am

Thomas Hudson wrote:You are entirely correct. I should have stayed to use a replacement waterproof fuse holder rated for at least the same amperage as the dogbone fuse you are replacing, just incase the reader is working on a different bike. Both my GL500 and GL1200 had 30amp mains and both received this mod. The GL500 has been this way for a couple of years now, and since the 1200 is a recent acquisition, it is the first mod that I did to it. Then the stator plug removal was next. Now on to a new coil circuit to bypass the original harness and get the coils the power they need.
Thanks for the encouragement, the warm welcome, and the constructive criticism.
Thomas


Another electrical mod you might want to do is a sense wire bypass on the regulator. The regulator takes its sense from the ignition switch - it's the black wire leading to the regulator. It uses this to determine the system voltage, so it can decide whether to increase or decrease the voltage it is regulating from the stator.

This wire passes from the battery, through a fuse, through quite a few connectors and the ignition switch before it gets to the regulator. On these older bikes, it's not uncommon to see a 1.5+ volt drop between the battery and the sense wire at the regulator. The end result is that the regulator tries to boost voltage to compensate for what it sees as low voltage - and the end result is a 15+ volt system voltage that boils batteries and blows light filaments.

Several of us have installed relays. The coil of the relay is actuated by the original sense wire coming from the ignition switch. The relay switches a (fused) wire coming directly from the battery positive terminal, and this is fed to the regulator, which then regulates correctly because it is seeing a realistic voltage.

This sense wire needs to be switched (hence the relay) so that it doesn't leave the battery connected to the stator when the bike is turned off, or it will drain the battery.

User avatar
Thomas Hudson
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Greensboro,NC
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Thomas Hudson » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:17 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thomas Hudson wrote:You are entirely correct. I should have stayed to use a replacement waterproof fuse holder rated for at least the same amperage as the dogbone fuse you are replacing, just incase the reader is working on a different bike. Both my GL500 and GL1200 had 30amp mains and both received this mod. The GL500 has been this way for a couple of years now, and since the 1200 is a recent acquisition, it is the first mod that I did to it. Then the stator plug removal was next. Now on to a new coil circuit to bypass the original harness and get the coils the power they need.
Thanks for the encouragement, the warm welcome, and the constructive criticism.
Thomas


Another electrical mod you might want to do is a sense wire bypass on the regulator. The regulator takes its sense from the ignition switch - it's the black wire leading to the regulator. It uses this to determine the system voltage, so it can decide whether to increase or decrease the voltage it is regulating from the stator.

This wire passes from the battery, through a fuse, through quite a few connectors and the ignition switch before it gets to the regulator. On these older bikes, it's not uncommon to see a 1.5+ volt drop between the battery and the sense wire at the regulator. The end result is that the regulator tries to boost voltage to compensate for what it sees as low voltage - and the end result is a 15+ volt system voltage that boils batteries and blows light filaments.

Several of us have installed relays. The coil of the relay is actuated by the original sense wire coming from the ignition switch. The relay switches a (fused) wire coming directly from the battery positive terminal, and this is fed to the regulator, which then regulates correctly because it is seeing a realistic voltage.

This sense wire needs to be switched (hence the relay) so that it doesn't leave the battery connected to the stator when the bike is turned off, or it will drain the battery.

Great advice. I'll add that to my to do list.
I have seen where Electrical Conections sells a wiring harness that replaces a segment of the three wires from the stator to the regulator/rectifier, adds the circuit for the coils with relays, and I believe it includes this mod as well. Am I correct with that?
I had thought of ordering it, but have found an alternative and am waiting to see how that works out.

User avatar
SilverDave
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Langley, BC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby SilverDave » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:11 am

If you are having trouble finding a tough , waterproof, large wire( 10 to 12 ga) fuse holder....

I got mine at a marine supply store.. and it came with the eyelets already fastened ..

Since its the main electrical line, and could overheat / melt I bought two , and one lives in the saddlebag as a spare

SilverDave

User avatar
SilverDave
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am
Location: Langley, BC
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby SilverDave » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:13 am

oh... and I installed an Electrical Connections GL1200 harness about 14 years ago, and am quite happy about it.

Keep us all informed about " Your Alternative "

SilverDave

User avatar
Cattmando
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:07 pm
Location: Vincennes, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Cattmando » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Just did this exact mod today on my 83 Naked Wing. Common sense upgrade after finding both screws loose on the old blade type fuse. Just bought this bike, found it running a little rough and worrisome voltages from the alternator. Tightening the screws put all to the good but figured why not add a more modern fuse holder and standard automotive 30 amp fuse.

Required a little more work because the battery terminals and the starter relay cables were mis-routed. Straightening those minor glitches put it all good and she now runs a charm, the horn works, the lights don't flicker, and the engine is smooooooooooooth. I'm happy. :D

Happy to be on this site. I bought my first 83 Naked as a year old left over in Cincinnati and lost it to an errant driver in 88. Only took me 28 years to make my way back.

User avatar
Thomas Hudson
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Greensboro,NC
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Thomas Hudson » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:05 am

Cattmando wrote:Just did this exact mod today on my 83 Naked Wing. Common sense upgrade after finding both screws loose on the old blade type fuse. Just bought this bike, found it running a little rough and worrisome voltages from the alternator. Tightening the screws put all to the good but figured why not add a more modern fuse holder and standard automotive 30 amp fuse.

Required a little more work because the battery terminals and the starter relay cables were mis-routed. Straightening those minor glitches put it all good and she now runs a charm, the horn works, the lights don't flicker, and the engine is smooooooooooooth. I'm happy. :D

Happy to be on this site. I bought my first 83 Naked as a year old left over in Cincinnati and lost it to an errant driver in 88. Only took me 28 years to make my way back.

Welcome to the site. I'm glad this upgrade worked for you. I've done the same to 3 of my old Hondas and have been happy with the results.

User avatar
Cattmando
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:07 pm
Location: Vincennes, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Cattmando » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Thomas, thanks for the response. I'll also do the regulator sensor wire mos. I've done it on several previous bikes, and aded heavier ga wire and relays to the lights and horn circuit too.

User avatar
Thomas Hudson
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Greensboro,NC
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Re: Main Fuse Mod can be used on many Hondas with Dogbone Fuse

Postby Thomas Hudson » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:52 am

Cattmando wrote:Thomas, thanks for the response. I'll also do the regulator sensor wire mos. I've done it on several previous bikes, and aded heavier ga wire and relays to the lights and horn circuit too.

A relay circuit for the headlight is a brilliant idea, and one I need to perform as well. Be sure to post up some pics of your mods. Thanks again.




Return to “GL1200 DIY Articles”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests