1985 GL1200 LE Maintenance - Rear/Final Drive Maintenance

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1200
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

1985 GL1200 LE Maintenance - Rear/Final Drive Maintenance

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Have started the rear/final drive maintenance on my '85 LTD. Starting sooner than expected, but was getting antsy and wanted to get at it. Spent just under 3 hours to get the rear tire off. Took lots of pictures as I went, probably some motherhood pictures that make sense but I will post anyway.

Bike at start:

Rear of Bike, fender area, had to come off before the saddlebags. Used 10mm socket/wrench, and phillips screwdriver:

Saddlebags and hitch removed, Used 8 and 10 mm socket/wrenches to remove saddlebags. Hitch was installed with SAE fasteners, 1/2 and 9/16 inch.

When I was finished removing the fender, saddlebags and hitch put the bolts, screws back where I took them from. This way I know where the fasteners are, and where the fasteners go.

Now to go to second post.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Re: 1985 GL1200 LE Maintenance - Rear/Final Drive Maintenance

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Had to remove the rear passenger foot boards. Took pictures showing this and how the cover hardware is to be reinstalled. Used an 8mm hex for the bolts:

Here is the left side caliper removed and tied up. I have to replace the caliper sleeve while it is off (have new one). It needs a 14 and 12 mm wrench/socket:

Right side shock lower bolt unfastened:

Left shock with lower bolt unfastened:

I was able to shove the rear swing arm down and remove the shocks and tie them back, hopefully I will not have to remove them:

I have reached the max picture limit. Will now go to post #3.

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:58 pm

This picture shows the rear disc cover and spacers:

Got the wheel bolt out and took the disc cover and spacers out. The spacers appear to be the same in all respects. Will still mark each one when cleaned. These picture show the disc cover and spacers as taken out:

Once I got to this stage, time to remove the rear wheel. The swing arm raises quite easily. I used a piece of 2X4 under the final drive to keep the wheel up. You also have to raise the wheel so that the wheel bolt is above the exhaust. Have Dunlop E3 tires, and had to let the air out to remove tire. This picture shows the tire removed:

Had a quick look at the splines on the tire hub. Look pretty good. The splines appear to be coated in an oil/grease. Did the smell test and does not smell like diff oil. Here is a pic of the rear wheel spline:

Took some pictures of the final drive spline. Will get better ones when it is out:

This is as far as I got tonight. Have been to this stage of rear end dismantle before, the new experience comes with the removal of the final drive and getting at the u-joint. I will also be replacing the rear caliper brake line while I have everything apart.

More to come. Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:16 pm

Day 2 of the removal of the rear/final drive maintenance. Started off well, had cleaned the work site last night. Since this was the first time I have ever done this, read the Haynes manual (not a lot of info in there - have ordered the OEM service manual and it comes with the electrical troubleshooting manual as well). These pics show the start of the day:

I have supported the swing arm with a 2X4 and it has worked out well (worked well for taking rear wheel off). Found out as I went that I really did not need it.

Drained the rear diff, can't hurt to give it some new/clean fluid when back together (just did it last month). Also prevents possible issues when on the bench and such.

Took the 4 nuts of the rear diff, 12mm in size. The rear diff came out extremely easy. When I had it out on the bench, did a "smell" test to determine if the oil seal was leaking and it is not - rear diff oil (hypoid we used to call it, has a distinct smell). The spline on the rear diff look not too bad. Here are a couple of pics:

On to next post.

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to see all splines well greased/lubricated. Looks like it is only grease, but it is still present and that is a good thing.

Checked the spline on the drive shaft and it is showing age and wear. Some of the splines show about 50% deformation - wide at front (normal looking) and narrow towards the middle of the approximately 1 inch of spline area at the front of the shaft. After 30 years, we all change shape a bit. Here is a pic of the drive shaft spline:

This indicates to me that I need to find a replacement.

I next went at removing the u-joint for inspection. Had to remove the fuel pp cover:

There is the rear brake light switch and clutch hose in the way. Here is a picture of the clutch switch showing the correct installation of the activating spring - need visual for reinstall:

This picture shows brake light switch tied back:

Next I tied the clutch line out of the way:

At this point I had access to the drive boot. Took off the retaining spring and pulled the boot back. This picture is the first look at the u-joint:

Once I got to this stage, I had read previously that there was a C-clip that needed to be removed. No problem, pushed on the u-joint and it slipped off the engine drive without an issue. I also took the manual(s) out and read the section on removing the U-joint. It went into swing arm removal and the likes, but I had read about getting it out with just releasing the swing arm on the left side. So that is what I did.

Will continue in next post.

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Since the u-joint slipped off the engine drive quite easily, I estimate that getting the u-joint back on and keeping it on the engine drive is going to be challenging - will have to ponder a possible solution to this.

Getting at the u-joint is space constrained for sure.I have removed the fuel pump cover, tied back the rear brake light switch and clutch hose. I also removed the brake pedal and removed the bolt holding the fuel pump in as this gave me some wiggle room for u-joint removal. This pic shows the u-joint off the engine shaft:

This picture shows the engine output shaft with no C-clip and no C-clip groove:

I did try to remove the u-joint without dropping the swing arm but not enough room as seen in this pic:

The left swing arm pivot uses a 19mm socket to remove - see pic. The right swing arm requires a specialized tool to fit so I found one at a local bycicle shop - a Parktool FR-6, fits and should work a treat. :

Took out the 2X4 that I had under the swing arm at rear of bike and the swing arm dropped nicely. The u-joint came out nicely and here it is on the bench:

Checked the freedom and tried to feel for any looseness (if that is possible).

Next bit of work is cleaning everything up and do a good visual inspection.

I notice that the drive shaft does not come out of the rear diff easily. Will have to read up on the removal of the drive shaft from the rear diff.

I also want to rebuild the rear master, especially after the crud I have seen in the reservoir. It is nicely located behind the frame as seen in these two pictures - not a job when the rear end is all back together - Mother Honda packed an important items in a very tight spot. The first pic is where it is located behind the frame, the second is a view from the back of the bike:

I also want to change the brake line(s) to braided SS. This is a good time to do the rear.

Excellent day 2, more to follow.

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:42 pm

Did some reading on the read diff/final drive. The Haynes manual details that to remove the drive shaft, work it in circles to pull it out. Also mentioned that the stopper ring is a factory install and not needed when putting unit back together again. Since the stopper ring is still there, leads me to believe that the driveshaft and rear diff have never been apart. It does mention that if you do remove the driveshaft from the rear diff, replace the oil seal (have one on hand).

My dilemma is the driveshaft. Do I put it back together and ride, or find a replacement and wait. Have also contemplated contacting a machine shop and have the shop build up the shaft and machine new spline. Some of the splines on this original are at least 50% degraded. The u-joint "feels"good - have sourced one in Ontario.Could also do a complete rear end change with one from a 1500 if I could find one.

Have some additional work to be done - want to do some work on the rear brake system, so I have a day or so to think about it.

Never a dull moment. Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:29 pm

Day 3 and all is going well. Had to buy another box of nitrite gloves, and some degreaser.

Just did some cleaning today. Started with the final drive and driveshaft. Took the spring off the end of the drive shaft and got to cleaning. The splines looked much better than I expected after cleaning. Here are 2 pictures of the drive shaft spline end nicely cleaned up:

The final drive was coated/caked with grime. Looks not too bad cleaned up:

Took the black plastic ring off and cleaned it and where it is attached. I noticed that there is an O-ring on the inside of the final drive, will try to source a new one before install. The manual details that you must ensure the collar is in the final drive on install. Here is a picture of the collar. The shiny end goes towards the outside of the final drive unit.

Here is a picture of the final drive with the collar removed:

Here is a picture with the collar back in the final drive and the final drive inside cleaned up:

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:46 pm

Had finger problems and excited the previous post early.

Cleaned the rear wheel. Took the flange out of the rear wheel. Cleaned the area where the flange fits the rear wheel. Lots of grime build up from many years. Here is picture of the rear wheel cleaned up with a new O-ring (P/N 91357-MB0-000) where the flange fits:

After cleaning the flange, noticed a small amount of galling on the inside of the mating surface. It's not a lot, but after 30 years, probably expected:

Here is a picture of the flange spline area with a new O-ring (P/N 91358-MG9-003) installed. Spline is in good shape:

Final picture of the rear wheel back together. Used Moly 77 on all mating surfaces and the pins of the flange:

Drained the rear brake line with my vacuum bleed kit so I could remove the rear brake line and get a SS braided one made. Tried removing the rear brake line, but no joy. Need to get a 10mm line wrench, and I have sprayed the connection with WD-40. Hopefully tomorrow it will come off without giving me angst.

More to follow. Cheers

Ernest
Attachments

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:40 pm

Not a lot to report today - Day 4. Got the rear brake line off, the connection between the hose and pipe did not want to release, but with a little persuasion it did. Have it in getting a SS braided one made up for the rear. Will also replace the hose from the rear brake reservoir to the rear master. Had read on some posts that after a time, this hose can start to break down.

Finished the rebuild of the rear caliper, got the new sleeve installed, now to wait for the new brake line.

Picked up Speed Bleeders for the GW. Installed these tonight, make bleeding the systems quite easy. Still need to use the vacuum bleeder to prime the individual system before the speed bleeder becomes effective. Did the front left disc and it feels much better than before when I used the old style bleeding of the brake.

Had to evacuate the clutch system as well. To prime the clutch system had to use a lot of vacuum to overcome the spring in the speed bleeder. Once I did this it went smoothly.

Should be able to get the final drive installed tomorrow, maybe as far as the rear wheel.

More to come. Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:54 am

Not too much work done yesterday. Got the final drive lubed up and put back in. The hardest part of the reinstall was putting the u-joint back in and getting the u-joint boot back in place - not a lot of space to work in. The drive shaft slipped in without a hitch.

Using anti-seize on all bolts, and paying attention to torque values. Using the Moly 77 on mating surfaces.

Waiting for the new rear brake line that should be ready tomorrow. Then I can finish the install and get it back on the road.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Where did you get your speed bleeders, (locally or order), and what is the thread size. I've thought about getting these b4, but just keep putting it off ;)
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:03 pm

julimike54 wrote:Where did you get your speed bleeders, (locally or order), and what is the thread size. I've thought about getting these b4, but just keep putting it off ;)

Ordered from SpeedBleeder - www.speedbleeder.com - Only took a couple of days after being shipped. The site has a chart for your bike. $7.50 each and $7.50 shipping. You get a break because you don't have to worry about the exchange. Phoned and ordered - she was extremely helpful. Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Finished up the final drive maintenance. Getting pretty good at taking the bike apart and putting it back together again.

Here is a picture of the right side - final drive and wheel installed:

I found it necessary to ensure the shocks were in lace before I started to tighten up on the saddlebag and upper shock bolts. Need the flexibility to move the shocks around.

Left side with brake caliper on - waiting for the new SS rear brake line:

Installed new slide collar in rear caliper. Checked the nomenclature for this slide collar. It is called a "slide collar" in the OEM service manual, but it is called a "sleeve" in the parts fiche. Have slide collars for the front calipers that will be done later. Keeping all the old parts since one never knows when you might need them again.:

Here is the old and new rear brake lines. Used fuel hose around the new brake line where the frame securing clips are. Look forward to doing the front brake lines and the clutch hydraulic line as well:

New rear brake line installed. It is the same length as the original even though it does not follow rear disc cover:

Used anti-seize on bolts, etc, and used the moly paste on sliding surfaces as well. One more post to do.

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Mentioned that I now have a vacuum bleed kit. This has been a bonus allowing me to prime/bleed the brake and clutch system(s) by myself. With the addition of the speed bleeders, it will now be easy to do routine maintenance, flushing yearly or every two years. I know that the reason this does not get done as often as one would like is because of the need for two people, and the time it takes because of this. Purging a dry system so you can get to the actual bleeding of the system is time consuming without a vacuum bleed kit.

Here is a picture of the kit I purchased from KapscoMoto in Mississauga, Ontario, very reasonably priced and works a treat:

The Speed Bleeders are a fantastic addition as well:

The bike back together again, for a while!

This has been a fantastic maintenance project for me, providing me the opportunity to learn a lot about the bike and know that it is up to a specific standard. I also want to thank everyone for their assistance and guidance. Already starting to think of what I shall do in the next maintenance period.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Did you figure out why the brake line was so close to the shock boot?
Mike

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:52 pm

julimike54 wrote:Did you figure out why the brake line was so close to the shock boot?

Thanks for the comment, but wrong person. I think you want this one: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31613

I changed out the air shocks for Progressive 1200s.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:44 pm

OOOOOPS you're right
Mike

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks for your efforts, photography, and narrative to assist in undertaking this set of tasks. Now, when are you going to get yourself a 1500 so that you can do the same for it.

Once again, thanks.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:18 am

redial wrote:Thanks for your efforts, photography, and narrative to assist in undertaking this set of tasks. Now, when are you going to get yourself a 1500 so that you can do the same for it.

Once again, thanks.

What say I just borrow one - LOL!!! Not right now, time to ride! I still have more I want to do to my '85. Had it out today, starting to be a great ride!

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:
redial wrote:Thanks for your efforts, photography, and narrative to assist in undertaking this set of tasks. Now, when are you going to get yourself a 1500 so that you can do the same for it.

Once again, thanks.

What say I just borrow one - LOL!!! Not right now, time to ride! I still have more I want to do to my '85. Had it out today, starting to be a great ride!

Cheers

Ernest

Do NOT borrow a GL1500. It will cause you to buy one and abandon your GL1200. :)

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:45 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Rednaxs60 wrote:

Once again, thanks.

Cheers

Ernest

Do NOT borrow a GL1500. It will cause you to buy one and abandon your GL1200. :)

Give me a couple of years! One of my riding buddies owns a '15 HD and has no bought an old BMW airhead that he is restoring. I mentioned that I had a line on another '85 LTD with 30K on it and apparently in pristine condition. He mentioned that we were glutting together a "stable". If the price were right who knows, but first to get rid of the 1800, nice bike but insurance is killing me, and even it will start to need work. I feel that I now know my '85 and I'm not worried about taking it apart and putting it back together.

Had an issue with the CB side of the bike. Took a look at the wiring and such, put it back and now it does not work. Found the OEM instructions on the web and will get at it tomorrow. Hopefully take lots of pictures for the thread.

Had a '65 Plymouth Fury 111 that I rebuilt and kept going for close to 10 years. Now that I'm retired, need a project to keep the brain challenged.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Rednaxs60

1985 GL1200 LE Maintenance - Rear/Final Drive Maintenance Part 2

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:28 pm

When I put the final drive back in, I thought I had missed a step so I just pulled it. Just over an hour to take the rear off and have the drive on the bench, getting good at this. Pulled the driveshaft out of the final drive and the stop ring is still on so it has never been taken apart. Looked at where the driveshaft mates and it appears that I have hypoid where the driveshaft fits in. This is not supposed to be so I have sourced a new oil seal, but concerned that the bearings may be worn. Looked at Steve Saunder's site and he has an article on buying used 1200s. He mentions that the final drive can be rebuilt without a lot of angst. Thinking it might be a good thing to replace the bearings and seals to get as close to build as possible. Will be looking into sourcing the bearings and seals. Any comments?

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Re: 1985 GL1200 LE Maintenance - Rear/Final Drive Maintenance Part 2

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:04 pm

Went and picked up some parts for the rebuild. Will have everything by next weekend with the exception of these two parts discontinued by Honda:

Bearing - P/N 91052-MG9-003
Oil Seal - P/N 91261-MG9-003

Any help in sourcing these two items would be appreciated. Will be on the phone next week to places back east.

Doing the rebuild because I read an article about this by Steve Saunders, and bearings/oil seals and such are replaced in the automotive industry all the time. Have looked at final drives on the internet, and for us Canadians, the cost is up there. This way I know what I have and should last forever so to speak.

When I disconnected the driveshaft from the final drive, I was able to move the pinion joint quite a bit. tells me the bearing is gone and with it the oil seal; hence the leaking of hypoid into where the driveshaft and final drive mate.

Looking forward to making this happen. Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Have the pinion gear out. Made a removal tool for the bearing retainer from ABS pipe but still needed to prod the retainer with a hammer and punch. Took my time, nothing broken. Did the same getting the pinion out. Worked at it slowly and it came out, now to work on the bearing. There is a needle bearing at the base of the pinion in the gear case, don't know how it would be taken out. Should have all parts by Friday then put it back together again. Have been taking pictures, but a cold has slowed me down.

Looking forward to getting it back together again and see if there is a difference. Will be putting n a new damper spring that fits in the end of the drive shaft that mates to the final drive (the original spring seems to have taken a walkabout in the garage). After 30 years of never being out, springs do get a "set" and can allow more movement than intended.

More to follow.

Cheers

Ernest

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 DIY Articles”