how to bleed the front right & left rear calipers

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1200
  • Sponsored Links
retired tech
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Interstate

how to bleed the front right & left rear calipers

Postby retired tech » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Short story long, I'm restoring a 1985 Gold Wing. First I want to say thank-you to all of you that responded to my call for help getting all the engine mounts to line-up. (Big Pry bars). Anyway I've rebuilt the front brake m/cyl. & rear m/cyl.. Front M/cyl bled easily, only left front caliper affected. The rear m/cyl is being a pain to bleed. I've tried following the manual, that's bleeding the front right caliper first, no luck. I've tried bleeding the right front at the m/cyl, by loosening the metal line on the m/cyl. I've tried bleeding the metal line going to the rear caliper at the rear m/cyl. No luck, so I removed the rear m/cyl, disassembled again to make sure I put the seal & the cup in correctly, I did. Reassembled & bench bleed the m/cyl by hand, it pumped dot 4 fluid out both the front & rear ports. Installed back on the bike, bled at the m/cyl both front & rear metal lines, very little came out. tried bleeding at right front caliper again, then the rear caliper, nothing. I guess I'll have to find my vacuum device, to try & suck it to the calipers. Has anyone had this problem?? By the way all parts are Honda original, there's no leaks visible. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
retired tech

Trikerjim
Motorcycle: 1987 (D) gold coloured GL1200 interstate

Re: how to bleed the front right & left rear calipers

Postby Trikerjim » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi, did u resolve this, I am having exact same issue

retired tech
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Interstate

Re: how to bleed the front right & left rear calipers

Postby retired tech » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Yes I did, I'm sure you know that the right front & rear are together. So when you pull the brake handle in the front it only activates the left front. The rear master cylinder activates the right front & rear at the same time. So being a retired tech of 40 years I worked on bleeding the right front first. It's the longest run brake line wise, then the rear. It wasn't easy, I ended up using two vacuum hand pumps, one front right one on rear, while at the same time cracking the lines at the rear master cylinder. I know it sounds crazy but it worked immediately . Hope it helps??? John Allen

Return to “GL1200 DIY Articles”