1985 GL1200 LTD LED Headlight Install

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1200
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

1985 GL1200 LTD LED Headlight Install

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Took the opportunity today because of foul weather to replace the H4 bulb in the headlight of my bike. I have replaced it with an LED from China (I know, but Cyclemax did not have any that fit in stock). The headlight came in quick order and the only thing mssing were instructions, but there seems to be only one way to install.

The first group of pictures are of the box and contents:
The box is quite compact and details contents
The box is quite compact and details contents
Contents of the box, several attachments - choose the one that fits/works
Contents of the box, several attachments - choose the one that fits/works
LED Specs - low beam 20W - High 30W - 3000 lumens
LED Specs - low beam 20W - High 30W - 3000 lumens
LED bulb - it is a triangular LED bulb
LED bulb - it is a triangular LED bulb

This picture shows the original headlight and the brightness compared to the LED driving lights:
There is a difference in the light intensity between the headlight and driving lights.  The headlight seems less intense and actually has an orange tinge to it.
There is a difference in the light intensity between the headlight and driving lights. The headlight seems less intense and actually has an orange tinge to it.

Now for the install. I did read the OEM service manual, but it does not cover everything. Went slow and all worked out fine.

Start of LED light install:

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Re: 1985 GL1200 LTD LED Headlight Install

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Post number 2. First item(s) to be removed are the side mirrors so that the upper trim can be removed.
The upper bolt of each side mirror secures the upper front trim in place. Use phillips screwdriver or 10 mm socket
The upper bolt of each side mirror secures the upper front trim in place. Use phillips screwdriver or 10 mm socket

The upper trim piece can now be removed by gently prying the trim piece upwards using the headlight as the fulcrum.
This picture shows how the upper trim piece fits into the trim holder that also secures the top of the headlight.  Two 10 mm head bolts hold the headlight in place - remove
This picture shows how the upper trim piece fits into the trim holder that also secures the top of the headlight. Two 10 mm head bolts hold the headlight in place - remove

The lower garnish piece (I did not invent the terminology) has to be removed as does the bracket that holds this piece. Once the garnish piece bracket is removed, the headlight can be jockeyed out for work.
garnish piece removed.  Two screws hold it to the connector
garnish piece removed. Two screws hold it to the connector
The piece holds the lower part of the headlight to the bike.  Two bolts, 10 mm socket to remove.
The piece holds the lower part of the headlight to the bike. Two bolts, 10 mm socket to remove.

Once the headlight is free to be moved, I disconnected the sidelights and the up/down adjuster, and the bulb connector to remove the headlight.
Headlight bulb connector
Headlight bulb connector
The adjustment on the right of this picture is for left/right orientation of the headlight.  The left adjustment is for up/down and is remotely controlled by a knob on the dash.
The adjustment on the right of this picture is for left/right orientation of the headlight. The left adjustment is for up/down and is remotely controlled by a knob on the dash.

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Post number 3. I removed the bulb, bulb cover and disconnected the sidelights in situ on the bike.
Bulb cover removed from back of bulb
Bulb cover removed from back of bulb
Original bulb and bulb keeper still installed
Original bulb and bulb keeper still installed
Bulb keeper removed and bulb out
Bulb keeper removed and bulb out
Back of headlight assembly with bulb removed
Back of headlight assembly with bulb removed

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Post number 4. Took the headlight assembly and moved it to the workbench. I took the sidelights off and had a look at the bulbs. The bulbs are too big to be removed from the sidelight assembly (see pic).
The size of the sidelight bulbs are too big for the opening.  Hope they last a while.
The size of the sidelight bulbs are too big for the opening. Hope they last a while.
Hopefully these lights will last forever.

I took the front lens off as well. It is kept in place with 4 spring clips. The condition of the reflector is quite good, and the adjusting mechanisms are as well.
Headlight lens installed with spring clips
Headlight lens installed with spring clips
Condition of headlight reflector is quite good
Condition of headlight reflector is quite good
Adjustment mechanism(s) are in good shape
Adjustment mechanism(s) are in good shape

The next step was to fit the new LED bulb by choosing the appropriate connector, then dry fit the LED light on the workbench.
LED bulb with attachment (spring not used)
LED bulb with attachment (spring not used)
LED fit while on workbench.  There is lots of room inside the headlight for an LED bulb
LED fit while on workbench. There is lots of room inside the headlight for an LED bulb
Led fit while on workbench.  This picture and the preceding one show the triangular nature of this LED bulb
Led fit while on workbench. This picture and the preceding one show the triangular nature of this LED bulb

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:31 pm

Post number 5. At this point I had to cut the connectors off the back of the LED light and connect some bayonet fittings.
The new connectors fit the original bulb connector.

Once I had the new connector on, I hooked the light up and did a trial test on the new bulb install. Low and high beam worked well. The aluminum power supply has a small fan in it and it does work.

I reinstalled the sidelights and cleaned the adjusters. I did not install the rubber bulb cover as it would impede cooling/heat removal by the LED bulb cooling fan.

To put the headlight back in, I had to push the bulb wiring connector out of the way into the wiring harness pocket in the fairing. I reinstalled the headlight in the reverse order to how it was removed. The garnish trim piece holder was installed, securing the lower section of the headlight. The upper trim bracket was installed, securing the top of the headlight. The garnish piece was installed. Next was the installation of the upper trim piece, followed by the side mirrors. The bike is now back together and time for a test of the new headlight.

This picture shows how the intensity of the new LED bulb matches the LED driving lights.
Initial LED install test
Initial LED install test
Bike rolled out and lights on.  The intensity of the new LED light tends to match that of the driving lights
Bike rolled out and lights on. The intensity of the new LED light tends to match that of the driving lights
Original H4 bulb for comparison
Original H4 bulb for comparison

Will now have to wait for nightfall to check out the benefit that I expect to get from the new LED headlight bulb. Hopefully my $30.00 CDN investment will be worth it.

Cheers

Ernest

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Interested to know how the pattern is for night riding!

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:38 pm

i noticed that your new bulb wires are white, green and blue. what type of adapter or wire plug did you use to connect them to the OEM 3 prong plug and what was the end result of installing the new LED headlight bulb.

stuart.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:45 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:i noticed that your new bulb wires are white, green and blue. what type of adapter or wire plug did you use to connect them to the OEM 3 prong plug and what was the end result of installing the new LED headlight bulb.

stuart.

The wires on the new LED bulb are the same as the OEM. I cut the connectors off that came with the new bulb and installed new blade connectors that I connected to the wiring harness connector.
The round connectors came with the LED light, these were cut off. I crimped the "red" blade connectors to the wires of the new LED bulb and plugged the wires into the wiring harness connector. Have high and low beam. Now have to wait for darkness.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:51 pm

On another thread I had started, "youcantoo" provided this link for an LED bulb that works as a replacement H4 bulb.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ab/Reviews

Cheers

Ernest

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:55 pm

WOW, thats REALLY a big difference in brightness. thanks for the link and for your information. once i "recover" from this situation, i might invest in one for my SEi.

stuart.

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:03 am

Went out last night for a ride, no video (not that advanced technology wise). The LED light is only 3000 lumens so it is going to be a soft light. When riding without driving lights on, the light extended out in a cone fashion, illuminating the ditch side of the road quite well. The other side of the road was also illuminated but approximately 25 feet in front of the bike. The low beam extended quite far in front of the bike and I did not get any response from oncoming traffic. The high beam is ineffective, and only gives more light in the upward direction.

When I switched on the driving lights, the light area became quite bright and clear. My driving lights have 6 small LEDs each and are a higher lumen count. These complimented the new headlight quite nicely. The area in front of the bike out to about 200 feet was well lit. I did get flashed a couple of times from oncoming traffic with these on. A small adjustment is needed.

I stopped at the local rec centre to get an idea of distance for the new headlight. Using parking stalls for distance, and a tennis court that is approximately 40 feet past the last stall, the new LED headlight illuminated 20 parking stalls and up to the tennis court. I estimate this to be approximately 200 feet. A huge improvement over the stock H4 bulb. This area was further illuminated when I switched on the driving lights that are rated for some 150 feet.

A huge improvement for a $30.00 CDN investment. I'm happy for the time being. May try a better, higher lumen bulb in the future. Now to see how long this Chinese knock off lasts.

Cheers

Ernest

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:43 am

Nice pics !
Your Install details were almost equal to what I had to do with my '85 ASPy and my HID 35 watt conversion kit .
Sadly, I took no pics .

Main difference ... In my case I put matching , colour coded bullet clips on my old SilverStar H4 light wires and socket ... so , in a pinch , I could re-install that incandescant , if need be .
( burn out ? Hassle by the RCMP ? )

Your high beam will never really work well with a LED , because of the physics of the fluted lens ...... but most of my night driving , and presumably yours, is around town , with low beam . ( My HID does project down the road quite well, on Hi beam )

SilverDave

Rednaxs60

Postby Rednaxs60 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks Dave - the wiring harness connector is still intact so I can go back if necessary. I think the low beam is sufficient to allow for sustained night riding if necessary, not my preference though.

Cheers

Ernest

Return to “GL1200 DIY Articles”