• Sponsored Links
Jigit
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2013 GL1800 F6B
2010 GL1800
2002 GL1800

Convert cornering lights to high-output LED for only $22

Post by Jigit » Tue May 22, 2018 9:32 pm

I'd like to share how I've converted my GL1200 Limited corning lights from halogen to LED. The end result of this update is great, the of amount of additional lighting is enormous compared to OEM halogen bulb.

Before:

After:

Instructions below are for specific after-market light model shown in the picture. I'm not attaching the product URL, since it may become invalid over time but I'm pasting the entire description from Amazon here, so it can be used to found it: Liteway 4 inch LED Pods Triple Row LED Light Bar Spot Flood Combo Beam CREE LED Driving Lights Off Road Lighting LED Work Lights . I assume that you know how to disassemble your GL1200 front plastic panels and able to use basic tools and other more advanced tools such as dremel, grinder and soldering iron.

1. Buy after market LED lights. This specific model fits Honda corning housing perfectly but there could be other compatible models too. This is what I found that gives the most amount of light per buck.

2. Disassemble the LED light housing in its entirety. Remove side panels, remove glass, cut the red and black wires (you'll resolder it later), remove the reflector and the led board, remove the black wire from the base. Be careful when pulling the wire out, you'll have to reuse it later, the hole is filled with silicone, so gently wiggle it out. Wipe off heat paste from the board and radiator. Radiator is the backbone of the light housing, which is what's going to be modified as the first order of priority. Unfortunately I have not made any pictures of what the parts look like after disassembly but below is the final already modified part. Use a dremel tool and grinder to modify the radiator to look something like this:

Last edited by Jigit on Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jigit
2013 GL1800 F6B
2010 GL1800
2002 GL1800

Re: Convert cornering lights to high-output LED for only $22

Post by Jigit » Tue May 22, 2018 9:42 pm

3. Use pliers to remove H3 socket from OEM light housing. Lay the modified radiator from step #2 on side OEM housing and center it out. Draw contour lines where you'll be cutting the housing. Use dremel tool to cut out a large hole to fit the radiator. Drill out the two rivets and remove the inside reflector.

4. Make sure the radiator fits inside snugly. If does not fit, use grinder to modify it further until it fits perfectly. When done, wash the light housing thoroughly inside out and wipe off dry.

It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it.

Jigit
2013 GL1800 F6B
2010 GL1800
2002 GL1800

Post by Jigit » Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 pm

5. Apply heat paste (available online or computer store) and mount the board. Solder the wires back on and install the reflector on top. Tuck the wire inside radiator channel.

6. Insert the LED assembly inside the light housing carefully, not to damage anything. You may have to cut the housing additionally to sneak the wire in.

7. Test the light, to make sure it works before proceeding to the next steps. Can't get the second picture right side up.

Jigit
2013 GL1800 F6B
2010 GL1800
2002 GL1800

Post by Jigit » Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 pm

8. Drill side holes (reuse existing two holes) and use rivets tool to secure the LED assembly inside the light. Beware: when drilling, metal particles may fall inside the light, blow them out with forced air before proceeding to following step.

9. Seal the housing with silicone. It's a bit tricky to deliver silicone to the bottom of radiator between channels, angle straw worked out perfectly.

10. Install the lights on your bike and go for a ride.

Rider safe!