Starter clutch and stator removal and replacement

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1000
  • Sponsored Links
aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Starter clutch and stator removal and replacement

Postby aussiegold » Mon May 19, 2014 7:22 pm

i have seen a few videos on YouTube regarding getting the stator on and of a GL1000 engine. the most laughable one has to be one that Randakk posted where he recommends using aerosol straws to hold the rollers in the starter clutch back, to slide the stator back on the engine.
now, that particular video has had almost 20,000 views. almost 20,000 people all sent away with an excellent solution to a problem that does not (or ever did) exist. here is the correct way.
i made this yesterday in five minutes. thats how hard it is to fit a stator...

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: starter clutch and stator removal and replacement

Postby Placerville » Mon May 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Very nice! Who knew it was so easy.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

aussiegold

Re: starter clutch and stator removal and replacement

Postby aussiegold » Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 am

Placerville wrote:Very nice! Who knew it was so easy.

well, not randakk for one. ha ha. hold your mouth just right ????? here is how NOT to do it.. repeat, how NOT to do it.

prineau
Motorcycle: Two 1983 Honda CBX550 and one 1985 Honda VF750F Interceptor. Interest in the 1975 Honda GL1000.

Re: Starter clutch and stator removal and replacement

Postby prineau » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:44 am

Why criticize another way of doing a certain kind of repair? Those 3 holes on the starter clutch must have a purpose? Maybe at the beginning Honda did the assembly a way similar to Randakk's way? Think about it.

aussiegold

Postby aussiegold » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:08 am

I have thought about it. There are several reasons not to do it the way randakk suggests.
the most obvious one is the chance of leaving a bit of plastic in the starter clutch.
if using straws is the way to do it, think about this. How do you get them in those wee holes
to get the thing off ?
watch both videos. Then do it anyway you want. Good luck.
ps
. I will criticize incorrect information.

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby robertdawber » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Randakk's way worked far better for me. (today) I think it's great that there re two ways to do this. I tried both. This was easier for me.

aussiegold

Postby aussiegold » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:35 am

i am pleased you got it sorted. and hopefully you got it done without leaving bits of plastic in the holes.

Randakk
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000

Postby Randakk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:16 pm

aussiegold:

Thanks for the reference above.

My method seems easier to me than yours does. To each his own. The holes were placed there by Honda for the exact procedure I used (they actually used a special tool that most folks could never source).

Many master Honda techs use paper clips, aerosol straws, etc. in the same manner I describe. I do not consider it a silly method. Observe 10 amateurs trying your method for the first time and your will see quite a bit of activity on hands and knees with magnets retrieving loose parts from under the bench :)

Also, you did omit a critical step that will likely reduce the life expectancy of the starter clutch. :)
Last edited by Randakk on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Founder & Chief Executive Rider
Pinehurst, NC USA
http://www.randakks.com/

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Randakk wrote:Also, you did omit a critical step that will likely reduce the life expectancy of the starter clutch. :)

aussiegold

Postby aussiegold » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Randakk wrote:aussiegold:

My method seems easier to me than yours does. To each his own. The holes were placed there by Honda for the exact procedure I used (they actually used a special tool that most folks could never source).

Many master Honda techs use paper clips, aerosol straws, etc. in the same manner I describe. I do not consider it a silly method. Observe 10 amateurs trying your method for the first time and your will see quite a bit of activity on hands and knees with magnets retrieving loose parts from under the bench :)

Also, you did omit a critical step that will likely reduce the life expectancy of the starter clutch. :)

the method you show may seem easier. but it has a greater potential for the spring to pop out. and also a much worse possibility of leaving a scrap of plastic behind .
i have much interest in this special Honda tool. but i cannot find any reference to it anywhere. ( except here )
any "amateur " will have less trouble removing and replacing the rotor by simply turning it to remove it, ( must be a real bugger getting those plastic straws in those holes to get the thing off)
and in regard to your last point, ( omitting a critical step ) i have fitted these things with oil, with other types of lube and dry. no where can i find any recommended type of lube.
so, full points indeed for coming up with an excellent solution, to a problem that never, ever existed.
ps
the honda manual says to fit the drive gear to the rotor and fit it as one unit. no mention of special tools or plastic straws.
the Haynes manual describes ( but does not show) the method i used.

Randakk

Postby Randakk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:29 pm

aussiegold wrote:
Randakk wrote:aussiegold:

the method you show may seem easier. but it has a greater potential for the spring to pop out. and also a much worse possibility of leaving a scrap of plastic behind .
i have much interest in this special Honda tool. but i cannot find any reference to it anywhere. ( except here )
any "amateur " will have less trouble removing and replacing the rotor by simply turning it to remove it, ( must be a real bugger getting those plastic straws in those holes to get the thing off)
and in regard to your last point, ( omitting a critical step ) i have fitted these things with oil, with other types of lube and dry. no where can i find any recommended type of lube.
so, full points indeed for coming up with an excellent solution, to a problem that never, ever existed.
ps
the honda manual says to fit the drive gear to the rotor and fit it as one unit. no mention of special tools or plastic straws.
the Haynes manual describes ( but does not show) the method i used.

There are over 27,000+ views of my video which is part of a comprehensive Tech Tip here: http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1000-star ... haul-tips/

Not a single complaint until your response. I'm pretty happy with that math, but apparently you can't please everyone! :)

My view: Everyone is entitled to preferences and learning should be a shared experience with ratcheting via vicarious experiences. However, expressing preferences does not give license to slam other valid points of view.

As for your other questions, I'm sure you can find your own way :)
Pinehurst, NC USA

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:59 pm

On the positive side,, having two ways of doing something is good for all...Both methods are good,, paper clip seems like a solution to me and it won't leave any plastic behind.... :D Thank both of you guys for the video's and information... How about a brad nail in a wooden dowel you can pull it right out... :shock: :lol: :lol: that's how cavemen do it...lol

aussiegold

Postby aussiegold » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:04 pm

littlebeaver wrote:On the positive side,, having two ways of doing something is good for all...Both methods are good,, paper clip seems like a solution to me and it won't leave any plastic behind.... :D Thank both of you guys for the video's and information... How about a brad nail in a wooden dowel you can pull it right out... :shock: :lol: :lol: that's how cavemen do it...lol

yup, i have had some equally inventive methods recommended on other forums including super gluing the rollers in and then give it a flush with acetone when fitted, and my favourite , spraying the rollers with some of grandma' s Aqua Net, to hold them in place. :shock:
as an aside, i have apologized to Mr Randakk for mocking him and indeed making fun of him. but i still stand firm on never,, ever, ever
putting those plastic straws in the rollers. just not needed.
mr randakk has pointed out that , in my video , i neglected to show oiling the rollers and followers and he is correct. that is a no no. it would be wise to oil them . that video just showed the fitting and if i remember correctly, on that engine i smeared some Penrite Assembly Lube on them.
i didnt point out that in his video , he failed to show the correct placement of the splined washer , but i'm not that picky .... :lol:

Randakk

Postby Randakk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:08 am

aussiegold wrote:
littlebeaver wrote:On the positive side,, having two ways of doing something is good for all...Both methods are good,, paper clip seems like a solution to me and it won't leave any plastic behind.... :D Thank both of you guys for the video's and information... How about a brad nail in a wooden dowel you can pull it right out... :shock: :lol: :lol: that's how cavemen do it...lol

yup, i have had some equally inventive methods recommended on other forums including super gluing the rollers in and then give it a flush with acetone when fitted, and my favourite , spraying the rollers with some of grandma' s Aqua Net, to hold them in place. :shock:
as an aside, i have apologized to Mr Randakk for mocking him and indeed making fun of him. but i still stand firm on never,, ever, ever
putting those plastic straws in the rollers. just not needed.
mr randakk has pointed out that , in my video , i neglected to show oiling the rollers and followers and he is correct. that is a no no. it would be wise to oil them . that video just showed the fitting and if i remember correctly, on that engine i smeared some Penrite Assembly Lube on them.
i didnt point out that in his video , he failed to show the correct placement of the splined washer , but i'm not that picky .... :lol:

Apology accepted, time to move on. I'm partial to using to the "straws." I will continue to recommend that idea.

For anyone bothered by the latest "quibble" above - the correct placement of the splined thrust washer is clearly covered in my Tech Tip: http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1000-star ... haul-tips/ :)

The video clip discussed here is a mere segment of that material.

Pinehurst, NC USA

Return to “GL1000 DIY Articles”