How to change your radio lights to LEDs

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
Candy Spectra Red

Re: How to change your radio lights to LEDs

Post by bellboy40 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:02 pm

I did this modification to my radio this afternoon and it looks good. It took me a couple of hours from start to finish and everything went pretty smoothly. I haven't seen it after dark yet but with the lights off in the shop it shows up well. The only thing I did different from how Scott showed was I didn't take out the side pockets. I was able to get it done without that step.
Here is a picture taken in the shop with the lights out.

BullCBX
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Post by BullCBX » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Was curious if anyone has tried one of the new twist-lock LED bulbs being offered by Superbrightleds.com? Would appear the new B8.4D Twist Lock lamp has the contacts on the correct side of the circuit board, but not sure if the hole diameter or the circuit board thickness match up. Anyone have any experience with these or possibly have a radio currently apart that can confirm some general measurements off the circuit board? I went through the process of changing my dash lights and updating them to LEDs, and now I'm ready to look at the radio and control lights. Saw these new bulbs and thought they might help make the radio transition a little bit easier.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:04 am

BullCBX wrote:Was curious if anyone has tried one of the new twist-lock LED bulbs being offered by Superbrightleds.com? Would appear the new B8.4D Twist Lock lamp has the contacts on the correct side of the circuit board, but not sure if the hole diameter or the circuit board thickness match up. Anyone have any experience with these or possibly have a radio currently apart that can confirm some general measurements off the circuit board? I went through the process of changing my dash lights and updating them to LEDs, and now I'm ready to look at the radio and control lights. Saw these new bulbs and thought they might help make the radio transition a little bit easier.
Not that I've been able to find - looks like you will be the first, so let us know how they work. :)

BullCBX
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Post by BullCBX » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:33 am

Scott,
I’ve got the new bulbs in-hand, but still waiting on my pre-wired LEDs before jumping in. Hope to have them sometime next week. I did have a quick question (more like an assumption confirmation). In your “Step-53” photo, there is a multi-wire (blue and blue/white) connection with green plastic connectors. It is my assumption the power connection for this circuit board is in this connection and it should be possible to feed 12VDC to this connection and validate the LEDs? Studying the “Step-50” photo, should be able to identify the (+) and (-) pins based on the wires you soldered to. Taking it one step farther, it looks like the Blue/white, is the 12VDC+ feed if I am interrupting the photos correctly. I am concerned about trying the new B8.4D style bulbs and if they have a continuity requirement. The bulbs would be easy enough the “flip”, but I’d really hate to put all of this together only to find something not lit up. –Thanks.

Molsberg
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100
1989 GL1500

Post by Molsberg » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:43 pm

BullCBX wrote:Was curious if anyone has tried one of the new twist-lock LED bulbs being offered by Superbrightleds.com? Would appear the new B8.4D Twist Lock lamp has the contacts on the correct side of the circuit board, but not sure if the hole diameter or the circuit board thickness match up. Anyone have any experience with these or possibly have a radio currently apart that can confirm some general measurements off the circuit board? I went through the process of changing my dash lights and updating them to LEDs, and now I'm ready to look at the radio and control lights. Saw these new bulbs and thought they might help make the radio transition a little bit easier.
I have the twist lock bulb out of the radio to measure. How do you want the measurements: inch or mm? Well, I found the specs on the B8.4D and it will not fit in the hole. The diameter of the post that goes through the hole is .243in and the B8.4D is .354in. I also believe that the Neo style bulb is necessary as it sits near the board whereas these stick up from the board. I found that putting the LEDs in as described at the beginning caused me another problem in that I used too much hot glue and now the cassette deck door won't stay shut. Also confirming that the 89 model with cassette deck needs 4 LEDs on the board as opposed to 3.

BullCBX
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Post by BullCBX » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Molsberg wrote:
I have the twist lock bulb out of the radio to measure. How do you want the measurements: inch or mm? Well, I found the specs on the B8.4D and it will not fit in the hole. The diameter of the post that goes through the hole is .243in and the B8.4D is .354in. I also believe that the Neo style bulb is necessary as it sits near the board whereas these stick up from the board. I found that putting the LEDs in as described at the beginning caused me another problem in that I used too much hot glue and now the cassette deck door won't stay shut. Also confirming that the 89 model with cassette deck needs 4 LEDs on the board as opposed to 3.
Molsbeg-Thanks for the update. I ordered some inexpensive (cheap) B8.4D bulbs off ebay just to try. Been waiting for all of my prewired LEDs to come in and have some time set aside this weekend to pull the radio. Based on your info, I guess I won't have to worry about trying these. Will try to snap a couple of pictures while I have things apart just to document. Thanks again-George

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:39 am

W.A. , I am curious, why did you solder one set of lights and wire the other set to the plug ? Could you instead wire all the lights to the plug ? Sorry if I missed the answer to this. . . .
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things.

Tom Petty

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:40 am

Uncle Fester, that is how I did mine. All connected to the wiring harness a year or so, ago. Works great.

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks Blue Water. . . . I could not see a reason to do both, so I was wondering if I missed something. As I see it, all of the LEDs have less draw than one regular bulb, yes ? :?:
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things.

Tom Petty

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:34 am

Uncle Fester wrote:W.A. , I am curious, why did you solder one set of lights and wire the other set to the plug ? Could you instead wire all the lights to the plug ? Sorry if I missed the answer to this. . . .
I think you're talking about this picture:

I went with the assumption that the LEDs would likely not be failing/burning out within my lifetime (or at least the lifetime of the bike). The power for the LEDs (and the switch contact outputs) is fed via the green connector to the PC board. I soldered the three LEDs on the PC board directly to the place on the other side of the board where the +12 volts is being fed to power them.

The power for the lights that light up the knobs is fed from the PC Board out to those lights via the white connector. I also glued these LEDs in place (more or less) permanently.

If I ever wanted to remove the PC Board in the future in order to perform maintenance/cleaning/repair on the switches, I wanted to retain the ability to disconnect it from the knob lights, in order to easily remove the PC Board without having wires still fastened to it. For this reason I left the knob LEDs connected via that white connector.

That way, I can disconnect both connectors, remove the PCB screws, and pull the board out of the assembly easily.

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Uncle Fester, Yes. My thought process exactly.
Wing Admin, that's another way to look at it. Good reasoning, and plan. I'm hoping I'm not back in there for a long time.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Post by CWJ73 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:43 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Note: SuperbrightLEDs has released a replacement LED that is supposed to be able to be used as a direct replacement for these lights, avoiding the resistors and wiring required. They have it listed as model NEO5-BHP, and while it looks like it will work, a Goldwingdocs user who ordered a set found that they do not fit.
In your DIY you call for 3mm LEDs. I am willing to bet that the reason the Goldwingdocs User that had issues with the NEO5-BHP is that they had purchased the wrong size LED. The NEO5-BHP is the 5mm LED. The NEO3-BHP is the 3mm version. I have used these bulbs when swapping out my dash lights on my previous GL1100 and they worked fantastic. They did need a little fine tuning with a sharp exacto-knife to fit and i expect they would need the same for this replacement. I am planning to order some of the NEO3-BHP LEDs as my radio has NO light emitting from it. I fact I did not know it was suppose to have light till I read this DIY.
Craig

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:15 pm

CWJ73, I do not know if it would work, but I would almost consider putting AMBER lights in the radio to kind of go with the paint job you have. Unless my eyes are REALLY bad, it looks like you have a tan bike, so amber lights would look great in my opinion. . .

Tom Petty

CWJ73

Previous

Post by CWJ73 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:28 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:CWJ73, I do not know if it would work, but I would almost consider putting AMBER lights in the radio to kind of go with the paint job you have. Unless my eyes are REALLY bad, it looks like you have a tan bike, so amber lights would look great in my opinion. . .
That would probably look fantastic, but my bike is actually Pearl White.
Craig

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:34 pm

OPPPS, better clean my screen ! LOL :oops:

Tom Petty

CWJ73

Previous

Post by CWJ73 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:OPPPS, better clean my screen ! LOL :oops:
I probably should have used a picture AFTER mini-me1 and mini-me2 finished washing the bike. It was pretty dirty that day. :D
Craig

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:38 pm

CWJ73, the other problem with typical 'NEO' bulbs has been that the electrical contacts are on the wrong side of the connector to work on the GW radios. I believe the NEOs have the contacts on the fixture side of the device, whereas the GW radios have the connectors on the bulb side of the device. You may want to check that out before ordering.

Check out this post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19178

Also, here is some info on incandescent (OEM) bulbs that are plug and play. I can personally vouch for the compatibility of the Toyota bulbs, as I bought a few and used one when I did my LED conversion. I used it for the "arrow" eject button, as that button is red, and the blue lights don't transmit very brightly through that red arrow.
The others listed are for a GL1800, which, as I understand it, are the same bulbs as a GL1500. The Toyota bulbs are available from Toyota car dealers listed under that part number.

Radio Internal Lights (OEM)
- Toyota Bulb part # 90010-09017 (clear / no blue cover)
- Honda part # 39111-MCA-671 BULB (14V1.1W)
(used on the GL1800 / Blue Cover)
- Cyclemax # CM1019 (same as Honda OEM for GL1800)

One other note. If you decide to use standard LEDs, a company called Oznium sells prewired LEDs with resistors already soldered in place. BIG time and frustration saver. You need 3mm ones to fit the holes in the circuit board. Not worth the difference in price to do it yourself.

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

CWJ73

Previous

Post by CWJ73 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks for the info bluewaterhooker0. I had a quick read of the xfer post. I will definitely read it a bit closer and look into either the Toyota bulbs or the prebuilt LEDs you mention. I did not realize the issue with the NEO was the location of the contacts. I had thought it was a size problem trying to fit the led into the hole in circuit board. Thanks again. I look forward to having light from the radio.
Craig

Jocke
Motorcycle: GL 1800 A2 -07

Post by Jocke » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:16 am

It´s ayear since the last reply but since I have been looking for leds to do this change I read it through and I had also noticed the difference between the OEM light and the NEO5. Since I had 4 Neo5 lying around since another project and in my GL1500 radio I had 4 OEM lights that didn´t work I decided to try another approach. I dismantled the OEM lights (fiddly but doable) and then took the leds from the NEO5 (that was easy) and then transfered those to the OEM foot and reassembled them. As said fiddly but after the first one and learning how they were put together it was easy, so now I have leds in the radio in the original lampfoots and it works great.

TAZZ
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda GL1500se
1968 Honda CL350 Scramble,
1970Honda 750k,1976 Suzuki GT550,
1979 Kawasaki 1000st, 1983 Suzuki GS1150se
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
1981 Honda CBX (not for sale)
1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade 1994 Yamaha700

Post by TAZZ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi All, to all that have changed their radio lights to LED like WingA did on the Articles I would like to ask you All that have done this job. This 3mm LED(RL3-B2030) lights are TINY small. I tried one on a 9v battery and this little light gets SUPER HOT. I also got that 560 ohm that WingAdmin said to so get will this 560 ohm's cool then down.

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 pm

I can't speak to the heat generated by the LEDs. I never checked it. I've had the Oznium pre-wired ones in my radio for right at 2 years now, and about 10K miles, with no issues.

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:30 pm

TAZZ wrote:Hi All, to all that have changed their radio lights to LED like WingA did on the Articles I would like to ask you All that have done this job. This 3mm LED(RL3-B2030) lights are TINY small. I tried one on a 9v battery and this little light gets SUPER HOT. I also got that 560 ohm that WingAdmin said to so get will this 560 ohm's cool then down.
If I understand your post correctly, you connected the LED directly to the 9 volt battery without the resistor in series with it. It that is the case, then that is why the LED got so hot. You need the resistor in the circuit to limit current flow to the bulb.
I also have the 3mm bulbs in my radio. They have been there about two years now and work fine.

TAZZ
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda GL1500se
1968 Honda CL350 Scramble,
1970Honda 750k,1976 Suzuki GT550,
1979 Kawasaki 1000st, 1983 Suzuki GS1150se
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
1981 Honda CBX (not for sale)
1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade 1994 Yamaha700

Post by TAZZ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:31 pm

Thank bellboy40 I just did my radio with 3mm with the 560 ohm I can't see NOTHING I'm think off ordering from Oznium.com an getting the 5mm. Yes the lights work but still can't see ****.I just did the two on the radio knobs And left the 3 big one on the top how it look I can see the 3 on the top but NOT the 2 on the bottom with 3mm LED :evil: :evil: :evil:

5m0k3y
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
2000 Harley XLS1200S

Post by 5m0k3y » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:46 pm

Did mine while doing an aux input today, I had a bunch of very bright 5mm LED's around and used them. The ones for the wording above the knobs are blue and I filed them down to flatten the ends (helps spread the light rather than focus it), ran the legs through the hole from the bottom side and hot glued them in place. I used 2 orange ones in the upper holes for the buttons, and a blue one where it says Honda. Have to use blue where the labels and Honda are due to the blue filter in the adhesive holding those pieces on.
Attachments

In my garage in moderate light.
In my garage in moderate light.

kiptap
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Post by kiptap » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Does anyone recall what polarity the CB Transceiver lamp/bulb solder points are, I would like to finish up. My CB is not working at the moment so I can't just test the LED and flip it. I assume my CB is not working because my radio is not installed.

My guess is "A" is Negative