How to bleed or flush your clutch

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
triker51
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 se trike

clutch slippage

Post by triker51 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm

I am having trouble with my 93 1500 se. Seems that while I'm riding and want to speed up if I get on good it just revs up rpms go up and nothing. If I gradually in crease power it is ok to a point. Need advice???

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: clutch slippage

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:44 pm

triker51 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm
I am having trouble with my 93 1500 se. Seems that while I'm riding and want to speed up if I get on good it just revs up rpms go up and nothing. If I gradually in crease power it is ok to a point. Need advice???
I would probably take a look at the return hole in the master cylinder at the handlebars. Folks have had issues like yours, caused by a blockage in that hole from a lack of flushing and maintenance.
The hole gets clogged, and the fluid pressure it held in the system, keeping the clutch partially released. Take off the reservoir cap, remove most of the fluid in there with a turkey baster and simultaneously try to stir up and suck out whatever crud is sitting in the bottom of the reservoir.
There is the intake hole that is clearly visible, then the return hole which is usually obstructed by a little metal tab. That tab is removable for access to the return hole. Try clearing out that hole with a very fine wire (fishing leader, wire brush bristle, etc.). Don't let the fluid level get below either hole while doing this. If it is still holding pressure, you may get sprayed with fluid, so be aware.
If it is working properly, you should be able to see fluid being pulled in the intake hole when you pull the clutch handle, and see it shoot back up through the return hole (thus the metal tab to prevent it being pushed out of the reservoir). Keep towels around the area to keep fluid off the paint and plastics (very strong solvent), and wipe any up immediately.
If this works, it would be advisable to then flush the whole system with new fluid, and well as the brake systems for maintenance.
The little tab is part #9 in the drawing.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to bleed or flush your clutch

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:29 pm

What type of oil are you using in the engine? If you have used automotive oil with friction modifiers in it, this can cause clutch slippage as well.