Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

How to remove and replace your seat

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:52 am

Sometimes I get requests for procedures that I just take for granted, and realize that not everyone knows how to do them. This is one of those requests.

Removing the seat on a GL1500 is very simple, and can be done in just a few minutes.

1. Many Goldwings have aftermarket or customized seats, but they all come off the same way. Some have driver backrests, such as the backrest on this Corbin seat. The backrest usually needs to be removed before removing the seat - and the method of doing so will depend on the type of backrest installed.

2. In the passenger grab handles are plastic plugs that cover the fastening bolts. Pry the plugs out and set them aside.

3. Once the plugs are removed, you will be able to see the top of the fastening bolts inside the handles - two in each handle. These bolts screw into mounts on the frame of the motorcycle.

4. Using an allen key or a hex driver, loosen each of the bolts.

5. Once loosened, the passenger grab handle can be pulled out of the seat and set aside.

6. Some seats require the passenger backrest to be removed in order to remove the main seat. If it seems like you can't get the main seat off without first removing the passenger backrest, try opening the trunk. Often once the trunk is open, you can slide the seat back and lift the back end of it, allowing it to come out.

To remove the backrest, open the trunk and remove the two wingnuts fastening the backrest to the front of the trunk lid.

7. Close the trunk, pull the studs at the bottom of the backrest free from the trunk lid, then lift the passenger backrest upward and away from the trunk lid.

8. To remove the seat, slide it backward to release the tab at the front of the seat from its stay, under the radio shelter. Once the tab has been slid free, the seat can be lifted up and away. If the backrest is in the way, either first remove it, or on some seats, open the trunk before removing the main seat, and slide the main seat back and between the trunk lid and the trunk. Then lift the front of the main seat up and pull it free.

9. Reinstalling the seat is the reverse of removal. Place the front of the seat down first, and slide the tab up and into the stay underneath the radio shelter.

10. Push the passenger grab handles into the seat, and screw the fastening bolts into place. You may have to slide the seat slightly forward or back in order to get the bolts to line up with the holes in order to screw the bolts in.

11. Replace the plugs into the grab handles.

12. If the passenger seat back was removed, reinstall it by first sliding the two tabs on the seat into the front of the trunk lid, then pushing the threaded studs through the holes. Fasten the wing nuts back onto the threaded studs from inside the trunk to secure it in place.

BullCBX
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Re: How to remove and replace your seat

Postby BullCBX » Thu May 08, 2014 9:41 am

I know this is an old post, but just purchased a Corbin seat of this vintage, and find the driver backrest does not really provide the necessary support in my normal riding position. I understand the level positioning the backrest higher or lower, but I'm curious if there is any kind of adjustment to move the backrest fore or aft. I remember seeing a long slot in the metal bracket the supports the driver backrest, but not sure if it a means of adjustment, or just to help the original assembly. I plan on taking the seat back off this evening and will play with it some, but thought I would ask the collective about it as well.-Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 08, 2014 9:53 am

BullCBX wrote:I know this is an old post, but just purchased a Corbin seat of this vintage, and find the driver backrest does not really provide the necessary support in my normal riding position. I understand the level positioning the backrest higher or lower, but I'm curious if there is any kind of adjustment to move the backrest fore or aft. I remember seeing a long slot in the metal bracket the supports the driver backrest, but not sure if it a means of adjustment, or just to help the original assembly. I plan on taking the seat back off this evening and will play with it some, but thought I would ask the collective about it as well.-Thanks.

If it looks like mine (the one in the picture), then no, there is no fore/aft adjustment. You may be able to shim it when you take it apart? That would be my first try.

BullCBX
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Postby BullCBX » Thu May 08, 2014 9:57 am

Yes it is a Corbin just like the one shown. I remember noticing the long slot in the plate under the hole where the backrest attaches. Just thought it odd there would be that long of a slot at that location if it wasn't meant to provide some type of adjustment. Will play with it some this evening.

BullCBX
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Postby BullCBX » Thu May 08, 2014 7:05 pm

OK, the Corbin seat I purchased did have a long slot in the metal tab bolted to the bottom side of the seat. There is pivot bolt at the bottom of the tube that holds the driver backrest. By loosing the bolt in this slot and sliding forward or backward, you can adjust the position of the backrest. There is also a long set screw on the back side of the backrest itself that adjusts how far back the rest moves. Between these two adjusters, one should be able to find a comfortable location that provides good support. Apologize I did not have a camera in the garage with me this evening, but promise next time I remove the seat I will snap a few pictures to add to this thread.

George

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 09, 2014 10:39 am

BullCBX wrote:OK, the Corbin seat I purchased did have a long slot in the metal tab bolted to the bottom side of the seat. There is pivot bolt at the bottom of the tube that holds the driver backrest. By loosing the bolt in this slot and sliding forward or backward, you can adjust the position of the backrest. There is also a long set screw on the back side of the backrest itself that adjusts how far back the rest moves. Between these two adjusters, one should be able to find a comfortable location that provides good support. Apologize I did not have a camera in the garage with me this evening, but promise next time I remove the seat I will snap a few pictures to add to this thread.

George

Interesting - my seat has no such bolt. I sometimes wish it did!

BullCBX
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Postby BullCBX » Mon May 26, 2014 3:38 pm

This weekend I ended up taking the Corbin seat of my 96SE and snapped a couple of picture and thought I would post them. According to the information on the bottom of the seat, this saddle was fabricated in 1995 (just for reference). As you can see in the picture, there is a slot that allows the adjustment of the driver backrest. In the photo, you can see the original placement outline and how far I moved it forward to bring the backrest closer to my seating position and provide good support. This gives me a good upright riding position. Next time you have the seat off, take a look at your mounting brackets, and you might find there is some adjustment.

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”