How to replace your dash lights with LEDs

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
Revrant
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500a

Re: How to replace your dash lights with LEDs

Post by Revrant » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Yeah I'm just going to take it to a professional, I don't have the tools to get this plug out without destroying it, the thing absolutely won't budge, I had to give up last night.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 pm

You might also try removing the turn signal housing on that side. Your hand might fit up inside or at least you'll be able to see the back side of the socket.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Revrant
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500a

Post by Revrant » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:48 pm

Already did that the first time around, and a professional won't touch it in this city, so either a tool I can buy works or I return the speakers and give up.

Aggrssr
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by Aggrssr » Tue May 12, 2015 6:06 pm

Here's a procedure modification when replacing the mirrors that I found very useful: It's much easier to replace the mirror frame prior to inserting and tightening the 3 screws that hold the mirror in place. I could still get to the screws to tighten them and it was MUCH easier to first reattach the frame using the bottom clips than to try and do it after the mirror was in place.

Read more: ucp.php?i=pm&p=18059&sid=2cb3d29e6f8df3 ... z3Zy4rdvXL

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:45 am

Okay, question. . .
Has anyone snaked a LED strip inside the gauge houseing instead of using the four LEDs for illumination ? I was thinking a strip of MAX LEDs in blue, along with removing the stock illumination bulbs. I think this would give a "smoother" light pattern, thoughts ?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:Okay, question. . .
Has anyone snaked a LED strip inside the gauge houseing instead of using the four LEDs for illumination ? I was thinking a strip of MAX LEDs in blue, along with removing the stock illumination bulbs. I think this would give a "smoother" light pattern, thoughts ?
From my experience on incandescent lamps outside the speedometer a long time ago.
The lamp outside the face will light up nicely but anything recessed will be in a shadow, it'll be difficult to see.
Back lighting is almost always the best way to go.

Secondly, any time your lighting up the whole face it will dilate your pupils a fair percentage at night IF it's a light colored face, black face won't matter.
HOPEFULLY those Leds are soft enough not to brighten too much.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:17 pm

You miss read, I am talking about INSIDE the gauge houseing, as in UNDER the speedo and tachometer, so it would be back lit. . . I am just curious as to would it be enough to be viewable at night
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:56 am

Uncle Fester wrote:You miss read, I am talking about INSIDE the gauge houseing, as in UNDER the speedo and tachometer, so it would be back lit. . . I am just curious as to would it be enough to be viewable at night
OH-OH-OH,.... ya I did mis-read.
I was mental-picturing between the glass and face.
I kinda like that idea of a milti-light strip. 1 or 2 or 3 Leds can go out and it'll still keep illuminating. BIG PLUS.

Blue is a rather dark color to project light.
I guess you'll need to test it in a windowless closet.

Wait for it..

. . . . . WAIT for it.....

You'll have to come out of the closet and let us know.

ALL kid'n aside, hope it works.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:13 pm

I added an addendum to the first post in this topic - I switched my blue dash LEDs to white, and added some diffusers. I explain why I made this change, how I made the diffusers, and show some pictures of the end results - much improved, in my opinion. Read down to the bottom of the first post (link above) for details.

Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:06 am

What about using the white LEDs and putting the blue rubber socks on them, like the original bulbs had ? Do you think that would work ?
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:What about using the white LEDs and putting the blue rubber socks on them, like the original bulbs had ? Do you think that would work ?
I suppose it might. That said, those blue rubber socks are pretty translucent - they give a gentle blue tinge, but not much more. Here's a picture of a GL1500 dash with the original incandescent bulbs and the blue socks - it still looks pretty white:

GL1500 dash with original light bulbs
GL1500 dash with original light bulbs

I suspect that the blue socks are intended to "tint" the light and make it appear a bit cooler, rather than yellowish - which the white LEDs do all on their own, as they are a "cool white" color.

paid4vr
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by paid4vr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 am

I'm a little late to this topic, and installed the first blue bulbs mentioned. I must have read too quickly, as I missed the different bulb for the LCD, but since I was dying to get it back together, I just used what I had. I tried filing the tops of the bulbs, but still have the hot spots you described. I want to use the white bulbs and diffusers idea, but apparently there are more color options on the white bulbs now. Do you recommend cool white or soft white? There's even a "natural" white option on the illumination bulbs now. Thanks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:39 am

paid4vr wrote:I'm a little late to this topic, and installed the first blue bulbs mentioned. I must have read too quickly, as I missed the different bulb for the LCD, but since I was dying to get it back together, I just used what I had. I tried filing the tops of the bulbs, but still have the hot spots you described. I want to use the white bulbs and diffusers idea, but apparently there are more color options on the white bulbs now. Do you recommend cool white or soft white? There's even a "natural" white option on the illumination bulbs now. Thanks!
I used a soft ("warm") white color bulb - the cool white just seem too bluish to me.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:13 pm

Has anyone done the bulbs in the CB radio?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

sava06
Motorcycle: GL1500

Post by sava06 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Good day! Realized replacement lamps to LEDs, but nifiga not faded out bulbs Cruise and fuel, although soldered resistors, as recommended. Has anyone experienced this?
p.s.I apologize for the computer translation

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:52 am

WingAdmin wrote: 1. Changed the four Main Illumination (Blue, Qty 4): WLED-B6 LEDs to the equivalent white LEDs: WLED-W6

2. Changed the top and bottom LCD Illumination (Blue, Qty 2): 74-BHP3 LEDs to the equivalent white LEDs: 74-WHP3
I've done the modification to LEDs following your DIY post. Great job by the way. I too have the wash out of light in the LCD and gauges and I'd like to rectify that.
I'm assuming that you bought these LED's from Super Bright LEDs but for the life of me I can not find them in the multitude of listings in their site. Can you possibly help with a part number that I can enter in their search engine that will take me to the proper bulbs? I'd really appreciate that.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:56 pm

MikeB wrote:
WingAdmin wrote: 1. Changed the four Main Illumination (Blue, Qty 4): WLED-B6 LEDs to the equivalent white LEDs: WLED-W6

2. Changed the top and bottom LCD Illumination (Blue, Qty 2): 74-BHP3 LEDs to the equivalent white LEDs: 74-WHP3
I've done the modification to LEDs following your DIY post. Great job by the way. I too have the wash out of light in the LCD and gauges and I'd like to rectify that.
I'm assuming that you bought these LED's from Super Bright LEDs but for the life of me I can not find them in the multitude of listings in their site. Can you possibly help with a part number that I can enter in their search engine that will take me to the proper bulbs? I'd really appreciate that.
The WLED-B6 is the blue one I replaced with the SuperbrightLED model WLED-W6 - here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... t-car/200/

However they don't have that one in white right now.

The smaller one in blue is the 74-BHP3, which I replaced with 74-WHP3: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... t-car/228/

However again, they don't have that in white right now. I wonder why? Perhaps it might be worth sending them a message and asking what's up?

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:05 pm

I guess that explains why I was not able to find them. I will call them tomorrow and see if they have a suitable substitute.

EDIT:
I clicked into the links you provided and I was able to order some WLED-WW6: Warm White and 74-WWHP3: Warm White. I don't think I will need to call them after all.

Thanks for the reply.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:31 am

As long as we're on LED dash lights...
Which ones are the brightest clear LEDS?
I plan on either tinting the bulb or maybe installing a dimmer. My 1991's meter lights have always been really dim.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:41 pm

SuperBright lists the light output of each LED - but I don't think I would want brighter than what I already used (the ones I previously mentioned). At night time, the dash is plenty bright with those, and I wouldn't want it brighter.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:24 pm

WingAdmin wrote:SuperBright lists the light output of each LED - but I don't think I would want brighter than what I already used (the ones I previously mentioned). At night time, the dash is plenty bright with those, and I wouldn't want it brighter.
GREAT! Thanks S.

welmack
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing GL1500SE
Gone but not forgotten:
1953 Cushman
1963 Harley 74 (5 yrs as Police bike)
1962 Harley 74
1984 Suzuki Madura
1984 GL1200
1988 GL1500
2005 GL1800 CSC Trike
2013 Harley Sportster XL883L (wife scared of bike)
Loved them all at the time but I prefer the 1500's.

Post by welmack » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Do you think a hood on the low fuel light would dim it down a little? It just seems awfully bright to me.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:34 pm

welmack wrote:Do you think a hood on the low fuel light would dim it down a little? It just seems awfully bright to me.
I have never seen the low fuel warning light, but if I should find myself in a situation having such low fuel, if it came on I would want it to catch my eye.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:25 pm

welmack wrote:Do you think a hood on the low fuel light would dim it down a little? It just seems awfully bright to me.
The best way to dim it down would be to put a resistor on it, and do it electronically.

That said, as mentioned above, I like having my low fuel light so bright that I notice it. Mine also flashes - I can't miss it.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Finding the correct value of the resistor for an LED can be difficult if you are not an electronics tech.

That said, the lamp comes on so infrequently an incandescent bulb may well last the life of the motorcycle and is the correct intensity

The 470 Ohm, 1/2 watt resistor didn't work for me. The LED was on all the time. I ended up taking the LED and resistor out and installed a 194 incandescent bulb. It comes on exactly when it is supposed to, at about 188 miles, and I trust that if it is not on, I still have over a gallon of fuel in the tank.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA