Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
peppilepew
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: How to replace your dash lights with LEDs

Post by peppilepew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 pm

OlsonBW wrote:Top and bottom LCD Illumination (Blue, Qty 2): 74-BHP3 is out of stock. I wonder if they are planning on getting more. Is there another one that would work?
Autozone carries leds. bend over when you walk in to save time.

OlsonBW
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by OlsonBW » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm not in that big of a rush. lol

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:41 am

OlsonBW wrote:Top and bottom LCD Illumination (Blue, Qty 2): 74-BHP3 is out of stock. I wonder if they are planning on getting more. Is there another one that would work?
Their site says they will be getting new stock August 30. That's a ways away.

That said, next time I have mine apart, I think I am going to replace my blue illumination LEDs with "cool white" instead. The blue does look cool, but anything red on the dash (i.e. tach redline, gas/temp redlines) disappears at night.

dj norm
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 SE

Post by dj norm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:18 am

I am waiting till they get them !!!!
Norm.
Arte et Marte

stitch0852
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda GoldWing Aspencade

Post by stitch0852 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:17 pm

I completed mine today!

I purchased the 20th Anniversary edition Aspencade the July 4th weekend and have been gathering items to fix many of the little things I didn't like.

Today I tackled the LED changeover. I had ordered everything from this outstanding instruction (but I found I was missing a red bulb for low oil pressure that I never see mentioned in the bulb list unless I missed it).

I opted to use regular bulbs for those three systems identified as needing resistors, etc. I have the resistors (I ordered everything using the links provided, thank you very much) but because the wiring was a soup sandwich I opted to not tackle that aspect as yet.

I, too, had a windshield screw that was too tight or stuck. I found that I could use the bigger Philips head in my small drill and it was able to buzz it right out!

The biggest pains were the top screws for each mirror. They were not easy to get to removing or reinstalling. I took out the fairing pockets which made it easier to remove the vents, I could reach from under to push the tabs plus the pockets were raised resulting in the bottom of the vent hitting the pocket and stopping it from coming out.

The speedo cable didn't want to thread in easily so I tilted the dash with the left side down (as viewed from the seat). This allowed the best position to ensure the square end fit properly back in and to allow the threads to catch for the knurled knob to get it tight. Also turn your handle bars all the way to the left to get the most room for your hand and arm when doing this.

I could never get the bike to light the OD light during testing, even switching back to standard bulb. I tried shifting up but could only shift up to fourth gear, it would not shift the last notch to get the OD light to come on. My bike did not have the top threaded nuts on the dash cover seen in the photos, which made it want to tilt forward (no holes for them either) towards the rider until I got everything else installed. I removed the ignition cover (the big center piece) and the two smaller pieces that cover the top of the forks to do this as well. It gave better access to work in there.

MANY THANKS FOR THESE PROCEDURES TO HELP US WORK ON OUR OWN BIKES.

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Post by Maddogg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:18 am

I have a couple of questions. I would like to change my dash lights to LED but I don't want to spend $60 on new bulbs only to find out they are the wrong ones. It seems that some of your Do it yourself articles cover different GL 1500 years. The cornering bulbs for instance were different from the ones that I had in my 1990 GL 1500. A second DIY was put up on the same change, but this one covered the bulbs that were in my bike. How do I know all the bulbs on your list are accurate for my 1990? Don't get me wrong, I love the articles, but the bikes vary from year to year and so do the parts used. The only way to find the correct bulb is to tear it apart and match the bulb on superbright LED's. Then I have a garage full of pieces waiting on the bulbs to come in. The tupperware all comes off about the same way on teardown, but is there any way that when you write up a DIY that you could give the years of the bikes that the change applies too. Thanks.

Bill

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 am

Maddogg wrote:I have a couple of questions. I would like to change my dash lights to LED but I don't want to spend $60 on new bulbs only to find out they are the wrong ones. It seems that some of your Do it yourself articles cover different GL 1500 years. The cornering bulbs for instance were different from the ones that I had in my 1990 GL 1500. A second DIY was put up on the same change, but this one covered the bulbs that were in my bike. How do I know all the bulbs on your list are accurate for my 1990? Don't get me wrong, I love the articles, but the bikes vary from year to year and so do the parts used. The only way to find the correct bulb is to tear it apart and match the bulb on superbright LED's. Then I have a garage full of pieces waiting on the bulbs to come in. The tupperware all comes off about the same way on teardown, but is there any way that when you write up a DIY that you could give the years of the bikes that the change applies too. Thanks.
I'd love to - but I don't have a stable of bikes to work with. I try to look up in parts lists, older years service manuals and so on to make sure differences between model years are covered - but I don't always know for sure. Sometimes I depend on others who do the same thing to their bikes to report differences.

In the case of the dash lights, I think you're fairly safe - to my knowledge, the dash light usage is identical throughout the model years.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Post by Wingsconsin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:33 am

My bike is a 1996 GL1500 Aspencade and I used this following list to do mine...

Prepared -- June 19, 2013

This is a list of the bulbs and part numbers from superbrightleds.com
Turn Signals (Amber, Qty 2): 74-AHP
Main Illumination (Blue, Qty 4): WLED-B6
Top and bottom LCD Illumination (Blue, Qty 2): 74-BHP3
High Beam* (Blue, Qty 1): WLED-B4-32

Overdrive*, Side Stand, Low Fuel, Cruise Set, Cruise On (Amber, Qty 2): WLED-A4-32
(Note: I did not change the Low Fuel, Cruise Set or Cruise On as they need resistors inline or they will not work properly – I left mine alone; or you could change them to a new 194 or 168 wedge base bulb but LEDs create a problem)

Neutral (Green, Qty 1): WLED-G4-32
Reverse (White, Qty 1): WLED-W4-32

For the Main Illumination LEDs, they tend to put out very narrow, directed beams of light, causing bright "hot spots" on the tachometer and speedometer dials. I recommend either filing down the tops of the LEDs, or gluing a small piece of white paper (or plastic from a discarded bottle to diffuse the light) to the top of the LED, in order to diffuse the light and eliminate the hot spots.
(Note: From my experience the *HIGH BEAM Blue light tends to be VERY bright at night and NEEDS the plastic diffuser idea applied – as of this writing I have not done mine – but will someday. The *OVERDRIVE light is also VERY bright so consider doing this modification to that one as wel)
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Post by silverado6x6 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:03 am

I bought all my different color LED lamps from Hong Kong, sure it takes three weeks to arrive but they are really inexpensive, my advice is to get at least the 10x quantity, and the ones I get are just rounded with average output, I saw no need for multiple emitters on the bulbs like for running lights on a car or truck. Even the blue and amber smaller base LEDs were cheap such as the amber TS indicators and the blue LCD lamps.. I just took a black marking pen to the top of the Hi beam blue LED so as to draw down its intensity. Since the lucite backing plates for the gauges need side light from the LEDs I may just super glue some small pieces of tin foil to the top of each illumination LED, they do light up the dials pretty good otherwise.

About the three lamps for fuel and the cruise control I was not aware they had to be a resistance load, may just put some 194LL (long life) bulbs back in them. Or just wire in a parallel lamp socket connection to 194 bulbs and still use the LEDs in the gauge. You would have bulbs on the circuit there behind the dash but the LEDs are in the dash, I had to do a similar wiring application to the third brake light on my Silverado because with an LED light my cruise control failed to work. A load resistor could work but I would be concerned about it getting hot and melting the dash.

If a person has time ordering from China or Hong Kong on Ebay is the way to go, get plenty of these lamps as one out of ten on average is a dud.
And keep just one handy marked + or- on the base after you have it installed and use it as a reference for any light you don't have a constant power source such as the OD, that way you can orientate the larger cathode which is - to the brown wire (ground) side of the socket, feel free to correct me anyone, I think the smaller part the anode in the LED is positive, the larger cathode is negative.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Post by Maddogg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:14 pm

I saw on a different website that replacing the amber turn signal bulbs causes the self canceling to stop working on the blinkers? Is this correct. I think the bike they were reffering to was a newer 1995 SE.. I have a 1990 GL 1500.

dj norm
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 SE

Post by dj norm » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi

I do not think this dash light bulb will affect the flashing sequence there are many other bulb on the same circuit if you replace front and rear I do beleive it will . I will sure know soon i just pulled mine (99 SE) in the garage for the winter and I have received the LED bulbs as per the list on this post soon I will repost saying the results.
Norm.
Arte et Marte

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:30 am

Maddogg wrote:I saw on a different website that replacing the amber turn signal bulbs causes the self canceling to stop working on the blinkers? Is this correct. I think the bike they were reffering to was a newer 1995 SE.. I have a 1990 GL 1500.
If you are replacing just the turn signal lamps in the dash with LEDs, it is not enough of a difference in current draw to make any change in operation.

If you also replace the front/rear turn signal bulbs with LEDs, you will need to add a load resistor in order to maintain the self canceling function.

Jungle Jim
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing SE
03 Suzuki Volusia
04 Honda Reflex

Post by Jungle Jim » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Intelligence is sometimes defined by how simply one can express themselves. Great job!

KLSTOCKBRIDGE
Motorcycle: 1996 GL 1500 ASPENCADE

Post by KLSTOCKBRIDGE » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:35 pm

We used your instructions to disassemble the dash to get to the back speedometer, the cable had worked loose. The speedometer quit working, we replaced the cable hoping that was the problem, no such luck. Taking the dash apart is quite involved, but with your step by step instructions and patience, it can be done. Thank you so much, we are still speaking!
Fantastic job!!!
Sincerely, Ken & Linda Stockbridge

Kevin Ball
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Post by Kevin Ball » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:16 am

Reading through this article's responses, I noticed a couple of people have experienced problems with the mirror securing screws, I had the same difficulty and overcame it by replacing the screws with socket headed ones, it's much easier to remove/refit them using the ball-ended Allen keys.---Brilliant article with a great deal of valuable information, Thanks.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Post by CWJ73 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:42 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Note: I've received a report that some GL1500 use red for the low fuel lamp, instead of amber. You'll want to adjust yours accordingly.
For reference, here are a couple variations to the Dash light colours on a 1990 GL1500 SE;

Low Fuel - RED,
Reverse - AMBER.

Although I have not yet pulled apart the Dash to do this mod yet (perhaps this winter if I have the spare cash for the bulbs), to my eye it looks like the illumination lights are likely WHITE. The white light would help deal with the Blue and Red in the gauges and the Gauge Needles, Odometer and Trip counter are all lit white.

1990 GL1500 SE Dash
1990 GL1500 SE Dash

Note: High Beam and OD are not lit in this pic.
Craig

Onion
Motorcycle: 2007 Sportster XL883L
1993 GL1500 Interstate

Post by Onion » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Hey I thought it would be cool to have a before and after picture to really show the difference so here is mine before and after.
Here is the before picture of my 1993 GL1500 Interstate

And here is the after picture of it with leds.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Problem now is that you will know who is affiliated with this board, just look at the dash (mine looks just like it, lol)

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Post by CWJ73 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Onion wrote:Hey I thought it would be cool to have a before and after picture to really show the difference so here is mine before and after.
Here is the before picture of my 1993 GL1500 Interstate
IMG_0621.JPG
And here is the after picture of it with leds.
IMG_0622.JPG
That looks fantastic. Good work. I really need to get on this update.
Craig

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:09 am

Onion wrote:Hey I thought it would be cool
Looks cool to me, I did all this to my last 1500 when I had to replace the LCD panel, seemed a bit daunting at first and there were a considerable amount of bits everywhere, but it was easier than I thought with the forum info. I was amazed at the difference.

Sadly the 1800 has not improved any.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Revrant
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500a

Post by Revrant » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Sadly I couldn't do it, I did everything except remove the windshield, the left side had give but the right absolutely did not, there's no knob on the right but this sort of dock or something, pictured here

This dock appears to be the point where it won't move or bend, and I can't see any way or removing it or manipulating it, and it's also wired in.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:55 am

If you're talking about that cigarette-lighter-style plug, they normally unscrew from the back. Reach in and unplug the wires, then unscrew the sleeve around it. It will then pull through from the front.

Revrant

Post by Revrant » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:21 am

Oh thanks, I guess I didn't twist hard enough when I tried, but then none of this has been touched by the previous owner so I guess it's been set for 26 years. I followed the guide but I worry I'm missing something else, do I have to take everything off from seat to dash, and also remove the windshield? I couldn't for the life of me get the windshield to budge if it absolutely has to come off.

Revrant

Post by Revrant » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Okay no reply, but I'm at it again and I can't even get any kind of grip on it, the vent is completely blocking me and the plug will not budge

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:17 pm

I had my windshield off when I did mine, it might make things easier for you to get to and help loosen things up on the glareshield if you did remove the windshield.