How to replace your cornering light bulbs Part 2

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
The Grand Pooh-Bah
Motorcycle: Locked and Loaded 1993 Aspencade 66K miles

How to replace your cornering light bulbs Part 2

Postby The Grand Pooh-Bah » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:53 am

HOW TO: Convert Your Plastic Socket Style Cornering Lights to LED

I have a 93 GL1500 Aspencade and it has the plastic socket and huge odd ball bulb.

I was inspired by thishttp://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9444&p=58344#p43760 article to solve the LED conversion for those of us with this bulb/socket set-up.

I'm not going to bore you with the details on how to remove the panel to access your Cornering Light. If you need help with that process check out the article referenced above.

Here is the back of the panel that houses the cornering light and the plastic socket.

Remove the socket

Remove the bulb

Here is the socket

Cut the red wire.

Leaving enough to splice the new led wire later

I wasn't able to hold the phone to take the photo and show how easy it was to remove the guts of the bulb. If you look closely inside the socket you will see two tabs on the disk. If you take a small screwdriver and push all the way down on either of those tabs the disk will dislodge itself from the socket, making it easy to remove the disk and spring with needle-nose pliers.

Now take the old bulb and lay it inside a rag on a hard surface.

Take a small hammer and break the glass on the bulb, making sure you don't hit the metal base. Be gentle, it breaks easily.

Here is the result. Be sure to dispose of the broken glass/rag so you don't accidentally grab it to blow your nose latter.

Now take the bulb and gently secure it in your vise. Key word in this part is "gently". Take a punch and "gently" tap the end of the bulb. Move the punch to different spots of the end and it will fracture the guts of the socket right out of the base. If you manhandle the bulb it will bend and you will be pissed at yourself.

Gutted bulb. I used a large drill bit to clean out the remaining debris. Do this with the drill bit in your hand, remember "gentle".

Now put the drill bit, you used to clean the debris out of the center of the bulb, into your vice and slide the base onto the bit, it should be free to rotate on the bit.

Now you are going to cut the end, that goes into the socket, off the base. If you look closely at the base you will see that the part of the base that holds the bulb in the socket has lip. You want to cut just below that lip so that you do not weaken the the lip. Rotate the base on your bit as you cut.

Here is the base with the piece cut off

I got my bulbs from SuperBrightLED.com

Cut the male tab off the LED bulb

Install the spring onto the LED bulb

Feed the wire through the grommet of the socket. A toothpick will help get the wire to go through the grommet. Connect the LED wire to the red wire on the harness.

You are getting close. Now slip the old base over the LED bulb, with the cut end down.

Use your needle nose to push down and turn the assembly into the socket.

Now that wasn't hard.

Now for those who want to turn this project into a "constant-on" light project. There is a relay at the socket that the wire harness plugs into for your light. Remove some tape from above this relay.

You will see a green wire in the bundle. Cut this wire and then re-tape the bundle of wires.

This whole project didn't take an hour. I hope this is helpful.

If yo would like to see a higher resolution version of the photos go to my site http://shtfinfo.com/gw/LED/high_res/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to replace your cornering light bulbs Part 2

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:48 pm

This is great! I've linked in your high-res images directly, so they can be viewed just by clicking the images, and I'm going to move this thread to the GL1500 DIY forum. Thanks for taking the time!

rmet
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda goldwing 1500se/trike (champion kit)

Postby rmet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:02 am

Yep - I did these following the excellent and thourgh directions. I found that the old base is ( very, very delicate ) an understatement !!
I have also found that installing the notched flange back into the plastic base is quite challenging. All in all the results are worth every minute of frustration. They are beautiful. PS: I also cut the green wires at the relays so that they stay on all the time.
Worth every bit of effort put forth.

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:43 am

I don't know where to find the #3 relay that you are reffering to. My wires on the left side dissapear into another bundle right after they plug in. I haven't done the right side yet. Got started too late in the day. I might get a better view when I get to the right side. I am seeing what looks like a large bank of relays above where I took the lower panel but I can't see what they look like even standing on my head. I can only see an area that has a bunch of wires dissapearing into what might be relays. I don't want to cut just any green wire. I have a G 1990 GL 1500. Is it on the left or the right side of the bike, or both?

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:46 am

My apologies. I did the right side first so the bunch of wires are on the right not the left. I will do the left side this weekend. Maybe I will find it then. The pictures of your work are great, but sometimes the closeup shots are too closeup. I can't tell what else is around it for reference. Thanks.

Equinox
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500
Aspencade

Postby Equinox » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:27 pm

I just wanted to thank you for an excellent photo guide.

I was a little apprehensive looking at these bizarre sockets and bulbs and doing the conversion.

The first one took about 30 minutes, being cautious as you suggested. The other side about 15.

Took longer to take the plastics off and put back on again.

They look really good as driving lights (white) after I did that mod as well from cornering to running.

Again thanks for your efforts.

Regards

Molsberg
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100
1989 GL1500

Postby Molsberg » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Great instructions! Modified a bit for where you bust out the guts of the bulb and cut the bulb metal. I found that if I put the bulb in the vise after I've broken the bulb, and gently tap the whole base of the bulb, the ring will come off the bulb leaving you with just the ring to slide over the LED. There is a small amount of play but it works and thats what counts.
Thanks again.

furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

Postby furnacedoc » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:34 pm

great info and instructions , I never liked the dull yellow look of my cornering lights , but now they are bright white , I also converted my position lights to led , just a simple bulb change . See Ya On The Road

The Bus Driver
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda F6B

Postby The Bus Driver » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:36 am

Great pics. I just got the LED bulbs on Friday,and I am anxious to see what kind of sockets are installed on my '98 SE.

The Bus Driver
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda F6B

Postby The Bus Driver » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:38 am

Furnacedoc, what kind of LEDs did you use to change out your position lights? Might as well convert those over to LED too.Thanks,Tony

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:16 am

I was wanting to do this to my 92 GL1500 Interstate, as neither cornering light was working.
After removing the lower cowl pieces, it discovered several things.

1) I seem to have the same issue as Maddog in that the wiring goes up to a plug under the fairing pockets instead of to a relay. I'll continue to trace to see where it might lead so I can verify that the relay is still good. Has anyone else with an Interstate discovered the location?

2) I removed the socket/bulb and it seems that both sockets need to be replaced. Tried to attach a picture and got SQL error, but will try again later. I searched the fiche and it shows #33202-MT8-771, but says that it is for SE only, not my Interstate. The part number on the socket that I have is 33130-229-003, but I can't find it anywhere on the fiche and when Googling it shows as a headlight socket on smaller bikes. As either will have to be special ordered, any clue as to which I should go for, or should I try to fix these somehow?

I also found that Cyclemax has a 50w direct replacement for the bulb here for those of us that don't want to tear apart the old one. A little pricey at $25 each, but factoring in time, effort and frustration, worth it to me at least.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:23 am

Posting a picture of the sockets now that attachments are working.
It almost looks like they shorted and burnt.
Question remains, on which socket should I order, the part number on these or the one that shows in the fiche for the SE
Attachments

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:47 pm

Anyone have an idea on which socket is the correct one to order?

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:38 pm

NVSB4 wrote:I was wanting to do this to my 92 GL1500 Interstate, as neither cornering light was working.
After removing the lower cowl pieces, it discovered several things.

1) I seem to have the same issue as Maddog in that the wiring goes up to a plug under the fairing pockets instead of to a relay. I'll continue to trace to see where it might lead so I can verify that the relay is still good. Has anyone else with an Interstate discovered the location?

2) I removed the socket/bulb and it seems that both sockets need to be replaced. Tried to attach a picture and got SQL error, but will try again later. I searched the fiche and it shows #33202-MT8-771, but says that it is for SE only, not my Interstate. The part number on the socket that I have is 33130-229-003, but I can't find it anywhere on the fiche and when Googling it shows as a headlight socket on smaller bikes. As either will have to be special ordered, any clue as to which I should go for, or should I try to fix these somehow?

I also found that Cyclemax has a 50w direct replacement for the bulb here for those of us that don't want to tear apart the old one. A little pricey at $25 each, but factoring in time, effort and frustration, worth it to me at least.

The part number 33130-229-003 is not a Honda part number - that's the part number used by whoever it is that manufactured the thing for Honda.

The Honda part number 33202-MT8-771 is correct - you can see below, it has the same layout, two tabs, one larger than the other, although it has the rubber seal around it, which is missing from your picture:

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:42 pm

The relays on my 92 Interstate are on the frame above the cornering lights right next to the radiators. I just replaced the lamps with OEM bulbs that I bought from an independent bike shop for $3.00 each but, when I replaced them I found that the right relay is bad. If you want the OEM lamps try an independent bike shop for a better deal. My question is if the relays in the monthly newsletter will replace the cornering light relays as they look a little different with wires coming out of the end and a connector on the end of the wires.

This is what my relays look like. Honda wants $53.00 for this relay. I don't think so!!

Those who say it can't be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”