Adding a Homelink Garage Door Opener

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
Richman2000
Motorcycle: 94 GL1500SE

Adding a Homelink Garage Door Opener

Postby Richman2000 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:54 am

I installed a Homelink GDO(Garage Door Opener) on my GL1500. I used the hole where the CB was located. It is a simple project, with basic wiring required.
This is the unit that you can get on eBay.

With a some gentle persuasion, the cover can be removed.

These are all the parts, and the blank I made to fit the space. The holes in the blank are where the top cover will snap in.

The area for the buttons needs to be oprned up. A dremel tool would be very useful at this point. I wish I had one. I suggest opening up the holes a little at a time and keep checking for function.

Here is where the unit will be installed into the CB slot. I removed the vent, the left pocket for full access to the space.

The cover is mocked up in its final location. I will have to remove the Tupperware to properly affix the blank into place.

The final step will be programming your Homelink. I used the following link to program mine.

http://www.overheaddoor.com/garage-door ... tions.aspx

Ride Safe,
Rich

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Adding a Homelink GDO

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:29 pm

It looks very nicly done...
Unfortunatly my shop does not have the other end that opens the doors..... :cry:

I did find this video of a chap that has the same problem as I do...His solution is unique to say the least.... :lol:

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Re: Adding a Homelink GDO

Postby liquineer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 am

That made me laugh. :lol: Similar story to one I heard this weekend at a bike disply event that I attended- a fellow winger has an 1800 with a removable air bag, she gets off the bike and goes and makes him a cup of tea when they arrive home (His words not mine, and she has heard it before as well)
Are we having fun yet?

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Re: Adding a Homelink Garage Door Opener

Postby Greenwinger » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:00 am

That look really good, as if Honda herself installed it. I wimped out and installed the flash to pass system a few years ago for opening the garage. Sometimes I had more money then time. :D Not so much now I have been unemployed since April of this year, but in years gone by the easy way out had it's appeal.

Richman2000

Postby Richman2000 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:59 pm

I still haven't done the permenant mounting of the GDO yet, I'm waiting for some down time to do it. I have learned a lesson about it. Due to the thickness of the ABS, the clips on the cover don't catch onto anything to keep it locked on. I ended up losing my cover piece, and buttons. After a trip to the local Pick n Pull, I have replacement pieces. I will be widening the backside of the mounting holes to allow the cover to lock in place. I'll add pix of it when I do my tear down. Thanks for all the good words.

Ride Safe,
Rich

Richman2000

Postby Richman2000 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:08 pm

I finally did the permanent attachment of my Homelink GDO. While I had been waiting for an opportunity to tear the bike down, and remove some Tupperware, I was able to fine tune the install. On my first faceplate, I had a large opening for the buttons to function, but it had problems. The cover plate decided to fall off somewhere in the Santa Cruz mountains. I remade the faceplate with the minimal amount of plastic removed. I know many of you will be able to get the holes lined up better than I did.
After I made my new faceplate, and sanded the sides to get it ti fit snugly. I drilled the 4 holes I needed for the buttons and light. I also made 2 narrow slots to hold the cover plate in place.

With the smaller holes in the faceplate, I had to create spacers for the buttons. I cut up a mechanical pencil eraser to use as the spacers. You may need to make the eraser a bit narrower to fit in the holes without binding up. I did that by sanding the eraser until it fit in without binding. When you cut your spacers, make them the same thickness as the ABS you are using.

I attached the spacers to the buttons with some silicone sealant.

My next step was to attach the faceplate to the bike. . I sanded the paint away from all the areas that I would be using the ABS adhesive. You need to be very careful when you glue the parts together. The ABS adhesive will eat any of the surface paint it comes in contact with. I sealed the edges of mine with Hot Glue. I ran the Hot Glue around the edges of the faceplate and the shelter. It filled the gaps enough to prevent any leakage. I don’t have a Hot Glue gun, but I do have a propane torch to heat the glue before I smeared it on. After everything cures, the hot glue removes easily, and cleanly.

On the backside, I mixed the adhesive with some of my ABS shavings to give it some extra strength. I used that mixture to build up the edges, and the fix the 1 tab that was broken. After it cures for at least 24 hours, I sanded down the area that the Homelink was being placed.

The final step was to trim a little bit of the plastic inside the shelter so that the power connection would fit better. I took out a little plastic of the shelter, and some tabs off of the power connector.

The final results are a built in GDO that looks like it was supposed to be there.

Enjoy, and ride safe.
Rich

Master Mike
Motorcycle: 1983 Shadow VT750,
(basket case)
1984 GL1200 Aspen,
1998 GL1500 SE.
1988 BushTec Utility

Postby Master Mike » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:18 am

Its not a home link but it does the same thing. I have a sears 1/2 hp garage door opener and it uses a max of three remotes. I have one for the wife's car. One for My car. One for the pick-up truck. So I cant have anymore until I got this Idea. What if I could use one in more vehicles than just one. Ok first trip went great we took off I closed the garage and stuffed the little unit right in my left fairing pocket and off we went. Came home after a 6 hour ride tired and worn out those little snaps on the pocket about whooped my tosh. Not convenient to say the least. Phase two how could i mount this little unit and still be able to use it with the truck. Hmmm until I came up with this Idea. How about a mirco switch mounted and a plug in for the GDO and then I can pull it when I use the truck. Ding Ding Ding winner winner chicken dinner.

RCA Audio cable from a garage sale .50 cents
RCA female connector from Radio Shack 4 for $4.96
Micro Momentary Switch Radio Shack 4 for $3.99
2 foot scrap wire two lead.

Here is the unit all done up nice.
Garage door Opener with cord attached
Garage door Opener with cord attached

I opened the unit and discovered with some testing that all I had to do was short across the four pins on the main switch to make it work so I soldered it like this.
Where I soldered the Male RCA Cord.
Where I soldered the Male RCA Cord.

Then I relief cut the cover so that it would hold the cable tight and provide some protection.
Relief I cut in cover for cord
Relief I cut in cover for cord

I then picked a place to mount the micro switch and the RCA female in the pocket.
where I mounted my Micro switch
where I mounted my Micro switch

Female RCA Jack Installed
Female RCA Jack Installed

Now when i need it for the truck I can remove it and use it as before and when I need it for the bike I don't have to worry about where did it end up after the trip. PS I probably wont leave that pocket but its has its function and can if need be.
Final Picture
Unit installed in Pocket
Unit installed in Pocket

Hope this gives some one Ideas for a great time.

Richman2000

Postby Richman2000 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Nice Mod. What I like with the Homelink is that you program it with one of the remotes, then you can put the other remote back where it was. The Home links copies the signal.

Ride Safe
Rich

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”