Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: How to install the GL1500 shifter brace

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:15 pm

They may be temporarily sold out.

Their policy is to not show any product on their site if it is not in stock.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 am

idflyit wrote:trying to find this brace on the cyclemax web site IMPOSSIBLE....the posted link doesn't do it either...H E L P
I just talked with Gary at Cyclemax and confirmed that they are sold out and waiting on more stock. Once they receive it, it will reappear on their web site.

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:46 pm

I have been so busy at my new shop that getting the next batch prepped and packaged has been tough. He will have some soon. I am also out.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Post by Wingsconsin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 pm

It may be none of my business but I am curious ...how many of these are out there now ?
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

peppilepew
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:50 am

700+. I was happy with 500.

Wingsconsin

Post by Wingsconsin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:06 pm

peppilepew wrote:700+. I was happy with 500.

That is a good sampling....large enough to learn how they work long term...
I have 2 of them in my posessionon my bikes righg now ;)

idflyit
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing gl1500se

Post by idflyit » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:41 pm

what is the price of these little honeys? Since you have two can I buy one of them

Wingsconsin

Post by Wingsconsin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:52 pm

idflyit wrote:what is the price of these little honeys? Since you have two can I buy one of them
They are both I installed on my 2 GL1500's.

ram1009
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by ram1009 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:57 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Correct. The extension, part number 2 in the diagram, is what fastens onto the shifter spline that comes out of the engine. On the left part of it, you can see the small extension. The main shaft of the extension then travels in a bit of an arc, rather than just rotating in place like you would expect it to. This is to thread the shifter shaft out through the exhaust manifold - and to me, looks like bad design on Honda's part!
Shifter.PNG
The shifter pedal fastens onto the end of that long shaft. The force created by constant stomping down on the pedal is multiplied by the leverage of that long shaft, and is applied to the shift shaft. This causes it to move around, making the seal fail.

The shifter brace attaches to the outer end of the extension. The brace's pivot allows the braced end to travel in the exact same arc as the shaft, with its pivot position in line with the shifter shaft coming out of the engine. This means that extension is now secured at both ends, and completely removes the leverage and bending forces applied to the engine shift shaft, and ultimately the oil seal.

Your explanation of the purpose and function of this device is spot on unlike the person making the video just below your post. This person, who claims to be the "inventor" of this device, confuses the issue badly by claiming that the offset shaft is suppose to pivot on its own axis which is completely untrue. In fact the offset shaft is intended to "orbit" around the actual shifter shaft and, because it's so long, creates a lot of leverage on the oil seal. This is a complete screwup on Hondas' part. My guess is that the engineer designing the shifter exit point was never introduced to the engineer designing the exhaust pipe placement. Anyway, I believe the device will help reduce the wobble induced by this awful screwup, even if the inventor doesn't know how to explain its function.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:23 pm

ram1009 wrote:Your explanation of the purpose and function of this device is spot on unlike the person making the video just below your post. This person, who claims to be the "inventor" of this device, confuses the issue badly by claiming that the offset shaft is suppose to pivot on its own axis which is completely untrue. In fact the offset shaft is intended to "orbit" around the actual shifter shaft and, because it's so long, creates a lot of leverage on the oil seal. This is a complete screwup on Hondas' part. My guess is that the engineer designing the shifter exit point was never introduced to the engineer designing the exhaust pipe placement. Anyway, I believe the device will help reduce the wobble induced by this awful screwup, even if the inventor doesn't know how to explain its function.
Please don't dis Cliff aka Peppilepew. He did design the GL1500 shifter brace and did a damn fine job.
If he made an error in his explanation in the video and confused you, so be it, no one is perfect. He is an excellent designer and machinist. My hat's off to him and this accomplishment.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

ram1009

Post by ram1009 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:38 pm

MikeB wrote:
ram1009 wrote:Your explanation of the purpose and function of this device is spot on unlike the person making the video just below your post. This person, who claims to be the "inventor" of this device, confuses the issue badly by claiming that the offset shaft is suppose to pivot on its own axis which is completely untrue. In fact the offset shaft is intended to "orbit" around the actual shifter shaft and, because it's so long, creates a lot of leverage on the oil seal. This is a complete screwup on Hondas' part. My guess is that the engineer designing the shifter exit point was never introduced to the engineer designing the exhaust pipe placement. Anyway, I believe the device will help reduce the wobble induced by this awful screwup, even if the inventor doesn't know how to explain its function.
Please don't dis Cliff aka Peppilepew. He did design the GL1500 shifter brace and did a damn fine job.
If he made an error in his explanation in the video and confused you, so be it, no one is perfect. He is an excellent designer and machinist. My hat's off to him and this accomplishment.
2-thumbs-up.jpg
He didn't confuse me one bit. If you read the comments you'll see how many others he confused. I can see what he was trying to do and, as I said, the device should improve the survival of the oil seal but somebody needs to set his explanation straight so others don't get confused. It can only improve his sales.
Last edited by ram1009 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idflyit
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing gl1500se

Post by idflyit » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Where can I get one ....?? Thx

ram1009

Post by ram1009 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:13 pm

idflyit wrote:Where can I get one ....?? Thx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301043977370?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Here's an ebay link and also at www.cyclemax.com.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Post by CWJ73 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Or you can go right to Cliff's website and order direct from him like I did

http://www.gl1500auxiliaryshifterpivot.com
Craig

peppilepew
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:39 pm

ram1009 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Correct. The extension, part number 2 in the diagram, is what fastens onto the shifter spline that comes out of the engine. On the left part of it, you can see the small extension. The main shaft of the extension then travels in a bit of an arc, rather than just rotating in place like you would expect it to. This is to thread the shifter shaft out through the exhaust manifold - and to me, looks like bad design on Honda's part!
Shifter.PNG
The shifter pedal fastens onto the end of that long shaft. The force created by constant stomping down on the pedal is multiplied by the leverage of that long shaft, and is applied to the shift shaft. This causes it to move around, making the seal fail.

The shifter brace attaches to the outer end of the extension. The brace's pivot allows the braced end to travel in the exact same arc as the shaft, with its pivot position in line with the shifter shaft coming out of the engine. This means that extension is now secured at both ends, and completely removes the leverage and bending forces applied to the engine shift shaft, and ultimately the oil seal.

Your explanation of the purpose and function of this device is spot on unlike the person making the video just below your post. This person, who claims to be the "inventor" of this device, confuses the issue badly by claiming that the offset shaft is suppose to pivot on its own axis which is completely untrue. In fact the offset shaft is intended to "orbit" around the actual shifter shaft and, because it's so long, creates a lot of leverage on the oil seal. This is a complete screwup on Hondas' part. My guess is that the engineer designing the shifter exit point was never introduced to the engineer designing the exhaust pipe placement. Anyway, I believe the device will help reduce the wobble induced by this awful screwup, even if the inventor doesn't know how to explain its function.
I have been very busy with the building purchased for my transmission business. I would like to spend more time here but my business is taking every bit of my energy. Plow truck transmission after plow truck transmission. 6-7 days a week for 6 weeks. Sciatica to boot. I am now trying to make something for the Valkyres. While I know I didn't explain the sweeping motion correctly, I did design it correctly. I have yet to take one back for any other reason other than one person sold his bike before he had a chance to install it. It doesn't orbit either. I don't know of any object that orbits back and forth without traveling around the circumference of whatever it is orbiting. :) It sweeps. Please don't confuse people any more than I already have. By the way, I am the inventor. Virgil and Scott both helped inspire this idea with their previous posts. I am not smart enough to invent something, I am smart enough to understand how and why something mechanical functions. I am also smart enough to know what needs to be done to correct or diminish the effect of solvable problems. I am not so sure the exhaust caused the final geometry of the shaft extension and "orbit". I think mother Honda thought the crankcase support was going to be sufficient. If Scott was closer, I would have asked him to make the video for me. I was very uncomfortable, which should be evident by my pausing so often. All things are imperfect in an imperfect world. Especially me.

ram1009

Post by ram1009 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:03 am

peppilepew wrote:
ram1009 wrote:
Shifter.PNG

I have been very busy with the building purchased for my transmission business. I would like to spend more time here but my business is taking every bit of my energy. Plow truck transmission after plow truck transmission. 6-7 days a week for 6 weeks. Sciatica to boot. I am now trying to make something for the Valkyres. While I know I didn't explain the sweeping motion correctly, I did design it correctly. I have yet to take one back for any other reason other than one person sold his bike before he had a chance to install it. It doesn't orbit either. I don't know of any object that orbits back and forth without traveling around the circumference of whatever it is orbiting. :) It sweeps. Please don't confuse people any more than I already have. By the way, I am the inventor. Virgil and Scott both helped inspire this idea with their previous posts. I am not smart enough to invent something, I am smart enough to understand how and why something mechanical functions. I am also smart enough to know what needs to be done to correct or diminish the effect of solvable problems. I am not so sure the exhaust caused the final geometry of the shaft extension and "orbit". I think mother Honda thought the crankcase support was going to be sufficient. If Scott was closer, I would have asked him to make the video for me. I was very uncomfortable, which should be evident by my pausing so often. All things are imperfect in an imperfect world. Especially me.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/orbit

orbit

verb

: to travel around (something, such as a planet or moon) in a curved path : to make an orbit around
(something)

Clearly, the desired motion of the second shaft around the first is a partial orbit.

peppilepew
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:20 am

The shaft extension is not "orbiting". It is attached. Everything I can think of that "orbits" does so by without an extension holding it in place. Better described as listed below. We have planets in transmissions that rotate 360 degrees on a center axis. The pinion gears are "orbiting" a sun gear and a ring gear of some sort. Instead of a invisible force like gravity or magnetism holding the "orbit", there is a carrier with lubricated bearings keeping the gears in "orbit". Beam me up Scotty! I want to do some "orbiting". Wait, I am already "orbiting" the sun while gravity holds me to earth. Delay that request. ;)

On another note. We sadly lost the third crew member of the original Star Trek.

I must thank all of those that have supported and helped inspire this product. I will not comment on this again. I refuse to turn this forum into drama central or Peyton Place. We are just a group of people helping each other. Knowledge is the key to success. There is certainly plenty of knowledge to draw from on this forum. There are some brilliant people posting here. Both contribute, and draw upon the available resources to attain your goals.

Cliff,

sweeping
adjective
: including or involving many things : wide in range or amount

: too general : including or involving too many things or people

: having a curving form : forming a curve
Full Definition of SWEEPING

a : moving or extending in a wide curve or over a wide area
b : having a curving line or form
a : extensive <sweeping reforms>
b : marked by wholesale and indiscriminate inclusion <sweeping generalities>
— sweep·ing·ly adverb
— sweep·ing·ness noun

ram1009

Post by ram1009 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:30 am

peppilepew wrote:The shaft extension is not "orbiting". It is attached. Everything I can think of that "orbits" does so by without an extension holding it in place. Better described as listed below. We have planets in transmissions that rotate 360 degrees on a center axis. The pinion gears are "orbiting" a sun gear and a ring gear of some sort. Instead of a invisible force like gravity or magnetism holding the "orbit", there is a carrier with lubricated bearings keeping the gears in "orbit". Beam me up Scotty! I want to do some "orbiting". Wait, I am already "orbiting" the sun while gravity holds me to earth. Delay that request. ;)

On another note. We sadly lost the third crew member of the original Star Trek.

I must thank all of those that have supported and helped inspire this product. I will not comment on this again. I refuse to turn this forum into drama central or Peyton Place. We are just a group of people helping each other. Knowledge is the key to success. There is certainly plenty of knowledge to draw from on this forum. There are some brilliant people posting here. Both contribute, and draw upon the available resources to attain your goals.

Cliff,

sweeping
adjective
: including or involving many things : wide in range or amount

: too general : including or involving too many things or people

: having a curving form : forming a curve
Full Definition of SWEEPING

a : moving or extending in a wide curve or over a wide area
b : having a curving line or form
a : extensive <sweeping reforms>
b : marked by wholesale and indiscriminate inclusion <sweeping generalities>
— sweep·ing·ly adverb
— sweep·ing·ness noun

It's strange that you would pick the word "orbit" to disagree with out of all I wrote when it is so obviously correct. I guess you feel you must disagree with me about something. The term "orbit" describes the geometric relationship of two or more objects where one object acts as a central rotational axis for the other object(s) to revolve around. This could involve planets and gravity but doesn't necessarily. Notice the absence of the word "gravity" from the dictionary definition. BTW, my intent here was/is to correct the bad information from your video. You should be glad somebody did. I hope you sell a million of these.

Wingsconsin

Post by Wingsconsin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:50 am

:roll: ...Sigh.... Everyone should go for a ride.... 8-)

ram1009

Post by ram1009 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:24 am

Wingsconsin wrote: :roll: ...Sigh.... Everyone should go for a ride.... 8-)
I agree completely!!! And buy one of these devices while you're at it. I'm going to.

Wingsconsin

Post by Wingsconsin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:33 am

I have already purchased and installed 3 of them
The 2 bikes in my garage and a riding buddys as well - The 2nd one was easier than the first to install... ;)

peppilepew
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks guys!

Cliff,

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Orbit is technically the correct term - the movement of the outer shaft is an arc, which if continued around 360 degrees, would describe an orbit around the inner shaft.

ram1009

Post by ram1009 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:28 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Orbit is technically the correct term - the movement of the outer shaft is an arc, which if continued around 360 degrees, would describe an orbit around the inner shaft.

The term Cliff used (sweep I think) is correct also, it's just less descriptive, IMHO.

peppilepew
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Post by peppilepew » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:03 pm

No, it is definitely sweep! :D