Horn Upgrade Fiamm Freeway Blaster

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
Mag93_1500
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Horn Upgrade Fiamm Freeway Blaster

Postby Mag93_1500 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:51 pm

For those of you that want your 1500 Horn to sound more like a car then install the Fiamm Freeway Blasters. I have attached pictures to check out. When I first read some comments I went ahead with the install. WOW! What a project. I had to go with a relay (5 pin Absolute RLS125 12-VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A off of Amazon) and a inline fuse (15a) I got from NAPA along with a 5 pin relay harness. Below is the wiring schematic I went with. The pin numbers are 30, 86, 85, 87a and 87.
You will see a light green wire and a dark green wire connected the your old horns. Dark green is ground. You must use both of these wires so that you can use to original horn button. I have attached pictures and a sound file so you can hear what these horns sound like. Pretty loud!

First of all, DISCONNECT the negative terminal of the battery.
30 to the new horn power terminal
86 to the existing light green wire
85 to the existing dark green wire and splice in a wire and run to the ground terminal of the new horn.
87 will run straight to the battery with the inline fuse (15a)
87a I rolled up and taped with black tape cause I did not use it

I ran 18g wires to the right side new horn and spliced them to the left side (parallel). I removed the old brackets (save that hex head screw) and had to do some bending and a washer for the new horn cause the hole on the old bracket is too big for the new horn. This part of the install is very tricky. I didn't like trying to use the brackets with the new horns cause I needed that big hole of the old brackets for some room to move the horn around. You will see in the pictures I had to trim some of the plastic off the horn in order to get the bottom fairing piece to fit. To run the wiring I removed the seat, the center console, the left glove box, the left front marker light and the other screw to remove the lower fairing that holds the cornering light. Of course there is that pain in the rear piece that has to come out by the crash bar too.I ran the wiring up through the left side so that the relay would lie under neath the left glove box. I did use connectors that would shrink when heated. Very IMPORTANTLY, run your wiring and do a test before you get too carried away.
Lastly, I found that when I installed these horns that the sound no longer came out the front slots of the lower fairing piece. Consequently, I made some new slots just in front of the left and right mounting screws of the lower fairing piece (see attached pics). Also, I painted them black so they aren't so noticeable through the front slots of the lower fairing. I wanted to attach a sound file but I could not. Trust me, they sound just like the old style car horn. Go to this youtube video to hear them; [youtube]

[/YouTube]
Mag 93 1500a
Attachments
Installed Fiamm pic 1
Installed Fiamm pic 1
Installed Fiamm pic 2
Installed Fiamm pic 2
Installed Fiamm pic 3
Installed Fiamm pic 3
Slotted the lower fairing
Slotted the lower fairing

Psalms 26:3

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Horn Upgrade Fiamm Freeway Blaster

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Just curious, the stock horn relay ( I assume we have one) will not handle this upgrade ? I like the idea of a louder honker for my bike as some of these jerks on the road can not hear my stocker. . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:49 pm

I put a set of those on my Mazda Miata to replace the anemic "meep...meep" sound of the stock horn. I used the original wiring, no relay, and it's worked fine for a couple of years. Those horns are LOUD, yet melodious! Sounds like an angry '57 Buick.

These are about the best deal on serious horns I've ever found. A pair of those are one of the imminent mods I'm planning for my GL1500.

Mag93_1500

Postby Mag93_1500 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:53 pm

I just decided to not take a chance on burning up the main horn switch. This could cause major damage to any electrics on our left handle bar. I choose the 5 pin relay but a 4 pin would work too. Also, NAPA has those relays. The relay takes the voltage load not the switch. When I was doing the initial test of the wiring I turned on the ignition but did not have the main line wire with the inline fuse touching the positive battery terminal. I then pushed the horn button and could hear the relay click. That is what I wanted to hear. I then touched the main line to the positive battery lead and then pushed the horn button and about jumped out of my boots. WOW! Don't forget the inline fuse just for safe keeping.

Good luck! :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:Just curious, the stock horn relay ( I assume we have one) will not handle this upgrade ? I like the idea of a louder honker for my bike as some of these jerks on the road can not hear my stocker. . .

There is no horn relay - the full current of the horns goes through the switch.

The FIAMMs draw a TON of current, more than can be handled by the anemic stock horn wiring. When I put a set of these on my GL1100, I tried running it through the stock wiring, it couldn't supply enough current to sound even one of the horns, let alone two. You MUST run a separate (fused!) circuit direct from the battery, through a 30 or 40 amp relay, and then to the horns. Use minimum 16 gauge wire.

As I mentioned, I put these on my GL1100, and they are LOUD. I also put them on my wife's PC800 Pacific Coast.

I should mention something I discovered about these horns - the instructions say to not bend or modify the mounting bracket it comes with, and they mean it! I ignored the instructions and tried modifying this bracket in order to get the horn to fit better in the Pacific Coast, and ended up with a horn that made a feeble "mweeep" sound. It turns out that the horn depends on the flexibility and length of that bracket to allow the proper resonance for it to produce the vibrations it does. Modifying, bending, stiffening, shortening or replacing this bracket will cause the horn to not work correctly (or at all).

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 am

Thanks W.A. I will keep that in mind if I do this mod. Where did Mother Honda hide our stock horn/s at on our GL1500s ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 am

They are right behind the cornering lights in the lower cowls, so those lower cowls need to be removed in order to get to them.

Mag93_1500

Postby Mag93_1500 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:27 am

As I stated in my install, I reused the original brackets with some bending. My pics may show that bend. I was careful to make the horns not touch the frame to the back side or plastic side of the horn. Please notice that I had to trim off some of the plastic end of the horn so that the lower cowling would fit against them. Also, notice the slot I cut into the cowling so the sound could come out better. And yes, one must use the relay and the inline fuse on the main line to the battery.
I really wanted to share this mod cause when out there riding these horns will hopefully get others attention. Just a side note, I am a ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) rider. I took a trip from Cincinnati to Tampa the first week of June and wore a florescent green vest with night stripes from Wal-Mart. I did see a few other riders wearing these but not many and certainly no Harley riders. When out riding or driving I look at how other riders stand out. Many wear dark clothing. I do have the Joe Rocket black and gray jacket so I needed to be noticed. Too many times I have heard, "I never saw the rider" comment after an accident. I spent many years in the weapons field in the Air Force and safety was a must. Still is.
Last year I installed the "Back Off" (http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Dynamics-B ... B001F85OUM) brake light signal modual. This is a great item. I stuck it under the seat on top of the fender. I spliced it into the main brake wire coming out of the small plastic black case #16 on Cyclemax OEM web site (http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... RE-HARNESS). I choose the mode 2 on the flash option. This makes a big difference.
We Goldwing riders need to take the lead on being noticed on the road.

Metal_Bob
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Metal_Bob » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:27 pm

I have a pair of those on my 82 Yamaha (high and low tone). I'm a bit disappointed that you had to trim the horn to make it fit inside the fairing. How bad was the sound muffled? I really don't want to trim the fairing at all.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:52 pm

I am seriously considering this mod with one difference , mounting the horns under the saddle bags, one on each side. No reason to mod the horn, bracket or anything besides the wiring. :D Thoughts on that ?

Mag93_1500

Postby Mag93_1500 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:11 pm

If you look at the pictures I had to trim just a little bit off of the horns. The other thing is you can see I made a slot in the cowling so the sound could come out. I would suggest once you have the horns installed to give them a test and then maybe put the cowling up there temporarily and give them another test to hear for yourself the difference. I felt it was significant enough to make the slots in the cowling. What I did was to lay down so I could see exactly where the horn hole lined up on the cowling then placed a piece of masking tape there so I knew where to drill. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole at each end of the slot then cut out between the holes with a hack saw blade that was out of the handle. I suppose a saber saw would work too but just holding on to the hack saw blade worked better for me. Then I used a rat tailed file and a straight file to clean up the edges. The slot is low enough that one cannot hardly see it. Look at the picture of it.
Hope this helps

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:44 pm

I must say, you did a really nice job of the slots - they look like Mother Honda put 'em there at the factory!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:I am seriously considering this mod with one difference , mounting the horns under the saddle bags, one on each side. No reason to mod the horn, bracket or anything besides the wiring. :D Thoughts on that ?

You might bake/melt them with exhaust heat...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:17 pm

It should also be noted that the horns contain a tuned column of air inside - trimming too much off the horn to make it fit will decrease the output of them quite substantially.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:00 pm

WingAdmin wrote:You might bake/melt them with exhaust heat...

Good point, will have to keep that in mind. . .

Mag93_1500

Postby Mag93_1500 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:37 am

Yes, I did trim some of the end of the horn off as one can see in the pics but honestly, I did not notice a sound difference. I just trimmed enough to get the lower cowling to fit.
The first post I did had a link to a YouTube of a car. Below is a link to my bike on YouTube. You will hear the horns but it does not give the true loudness. I am very satisfied with these horns. I posted the video cause my wife and I have decided to try and sell our wing. If it doesn't sell for what we want then we'll try in the spring.

Link to Craigslist ad of our 93 GL1500a: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/4591594441.html
Link to YouTube video:

ratherberiding
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ratherberiding » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:56 am

I read the forum posts about horns, but what I'm reading doesn't seem to be true, so I have a NEW question. I have an '88 GL1500, and wanted to replace the pitiful factory "meep" horns that sound like a sick sheep. I bought a set of Wolo 320-2T Maxi-sound car horns. I will have to move them toward the center to install because they don't fit in the factory location, but everyone says you need to install a relay because the factory horn wires don't carry enough current. I am not experiencing that. I hooked them up to the factory wires and they work just fine and are plenty loud. So why do I need a separate relay and wiring? Is it just air horns that require the extra current and relay?
:?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 am

ratherberiding wrote:I read the forum posts about horns, but what I'm reading doesn't seem to be true, so I have a NEW question. I have an '88 GL1500, and wanted to replace the pitiful factory "meep" horns that sound like a sick sheep. I bought a set of Wolo 320-2T Maxi-sound car horns. I will have to move them toward the center to install because they don't fit in the factory location, but everyone says you need to install a relay because the factory horn wires don't carry enough current. I am not experiencing that. I hooked them up to the factory wires and they work just fine and are plenty loud. So why do I need a separate relay and wiring? Is it just air horns that require the extra current and relay?
:?

Most louder aftermarket horns draw quite a bit more current than the factory horns. You may find your horns are working, however you are pulling more current than the stock circuitry is designed for.

Looking at the horns you installed, the instructions call for connecting them to a 15 amp fuse. The horn circuit on your GL1500 is on a 15 amp fuse. However, it also shares this fuse with the turn signals AND the brake lights. The brake lights alone pull 9 amps, that leaves you with 6 amps for your horns before you overload the circuit.

The thickness (gauge) of the wire running to your stock horns is definitely not enough to supply them with enough current. You will likely notice them heating up when you use your horns. And most importantly, your horn button is definitely not designed to handle that much current - it will be the first thing to fail, and when it does, you're looking at an expensive part to replace. Chances are when it fails, it will "weld" in the on position, meaning your horns will be stuck on. Hopefully the fuse will blow before your inadequate factory horn wiring melts and burns.

Because the wire supplying your horns is not capable of supplying all of the current your horns are demanding, your horns are running on less voltage than they were designed for. (See Electricity 101 Part 1: Voltage and Amperage for an explanation of this). This means they are nowhere near as loud as they should be.

Run a fused, 12 or 14 gauge wire from the battery (make sure the 15 amp fuse is close to the battery terminal) to a 30 amp automotive relay, and use the existing horn circuitry to trigger the relay coil instead of running the horns. Then run new 14 gauge wires from the relay output to your new horns. Your horn switch will now last forever (being that it's switching a very small current drain relay coil instead of two big horns), and you will find that the sound output of your horns is much louder than the way you're doing it now.

ratherberiding
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ratherberiding » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:50 am

Wow. THANKS. When it comes to electrical, I'm not the brightest bulb. Will do. Already bought the relay, just wasn't aware of all those other variables and conditions! Thanks again! :)

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:35 pm

ratherberiding wrote:Wow. THANKS. When it comes to electrical, I'm not the brightest bulb. Will do. Already bought the relay, just wasn't aware of all those other variables and conditions! Thanks again! :)

trust me when I say that you are not the first, or the last, who did not realize that information. I used to own a stereo shop, and the number of people who can in saying "My amp stopped working." only to find out they had over loaded the amp by running 4, 5 , even 10 in one case I recall, speakers on a amp designed to run 2 speakers. Yes it will work, for awhile, but at some point it will burn up the wiring or just die.

ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Howdy all... miss me? Lol

I like these horns as far as what I see/read/hear here...

I currently have my stock meep-meeps in parallel with an Italian Nautilus 139db air horn (via a delay). I am not really overly enthused. It is better than just the meep-meeps, but after I hit the horn button and the meep-meeps go there is about a 1 second delay before the Nautilus starts. I don't like that.

I have been thinking about going to a junk lot and getting a pair of old car horns- like from a big Chevy or Caddy or something and trying those.

Does anyone have any thoughts about that?

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:36 pm

The Freeway Blasters sound just like the old Chev or Caddy horns...only louder. Same melodious tones (if you get the hi/lo pair), but just more of it.

Amazingly, the Fiamm FB's are cheap! I put a set on my Miata, and will be putting a set on the 'Wing shortly. On sale, I've seen the pair for as little as $20.

Raj
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade 1100

Postby Raj » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:57 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:Just curious, the stock horn relay ( I assume we have one) will not handle this upgrade ? I like the idea of a louder honker for my bike as some of these jerks on the road can not hear my stocker. . .

There is no horn relay - the full current of the horns goes through the switch.

The FIAMMs draw a TON of current, more than can be handled by the anemic stock horn wiring. When I put a set of these on my GL1100, I tried running it through the stock wiring, it couldn't supply enough current to sound even one of the horns, let alone two. You MUST run a separate (fused!) circuit direct from the battery, through a 30 or 40 amp relay, and then to the horns. Use minimum 16 gauge wire.

As I mentioned, I put these on my GL1100, and they are LOUD. I also put them on my wife's PC800 Pacific Coast.

I should mention something I discovered about these horns - the instructions say to not bend or modify the mounting bracket it comes with, and they mean it! I ignored the instructions and tried modifying this bracket in order to get the horn to fit better in the Pacific Coast, and ended up with a horn that made a feeble "mweeep" sound. It turns out that the horn depends on the flexibility and length of that bracket to allow the proper resonance for it to produce the vibrations it does. Modifying, bending, stiffening, shortening or replacing this bracket will cause the horn to not work correctly (or at all).

When rewiring for the new horns, do I need to use heavier gauge wire in the switch as well?

mikelens
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Postby mikelens » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:15 am

Raj wrote:When rewiring for the new horns, do I need to use heavier gauge wire in the switch as well?

When wiring the new horns you only need the heavier gauge from the battery to the relay & from the relay to the horns. The factory wiring from the switch to the relay will be sufficient; it only carries a small amount of current to trip the relay.

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”