GL1500 Projector HID Headlight Install

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
bigdog9191999
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

GL1500 Projector HID Headlight Install

Postby bigdog9191999 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:39 am

allright guys/gals here is what is going on. I did not intend on doing much to the bike as I plan to upgrade to an 1800 in a year or three and dont want to spen too much time and money on stuff i am not keeping, but i figured living in michigan ( south west corner) and having had a deer take me out last fall on my shadow I want more light! , but dont want more drain on the bike and dont really want to ad more lights, i also have some dealings with projectors and HID's ( my triumph had factory projectors and i added HID's, and i have retrofit the wifes car already and i do want!) and i have only seen one other that this was done and there were no pics as he had it done by a shop and all there was were the after pics. well with knowing what i would gain from this in visibility it was a must have!

so here within will be my dealings on getting this done ( i am always in the middle of two or three projects and try to do my updating on work days ( not the standard m-f) for the wifi and the fact the only pc's i use are at work, i use my phone for all else, internet, pics, you name it! i will also start a post and have tasks to do ( i am at work, and have about a dozen or better computers i could be using) or just dont want to loose my progress and will make a post then edit the rest to complete. so please bear with me a bit as i get it done.

so i dont think we need much on me as i think this is a pretty straight forward application.. more light! and living in rual deer country i do want. so the only background i will have/give is the bike! and that is simple i have a 89' GL1500 ! having no submodles make it easy!

here is what i am starting with.

my 1989 GL1500 (also discovered i need more pics!) pretty basci standard lights, and factory turn lights ( that are about a waste of space imho! they have narrow beam and aim to low, and are usless while actually leaned over in a turn.)

now this light will not work correctly with the cutoff and focus of the projector so we need the 98-00 clear style. like so! (yes it is foggy, i bought a used unit that had some minor seal issues at the top, and it was hot out/in the delivery truck and i had a/c on in the house and being we have to take the lens off anyway i didnt mind, and it was half the price of the cheapest new unit i could find and less than 1/3 of new OEM)

the sale pic

the first thing i did was remove the wire harness ( which i was very glad to get as i can cut this up for the HID portion and not have cut the bike harness or the existing light harness allowing me to return to stock if desired for to sell or trade ect) i just need to double check the two harnesses to be sure they have the same pin out just to be sure.

as it comes off the bike ( again ad pic, as i didnt think to take them before i started)

next we need to strip it down a bit so for the parts we dont need and dont want to melt. bulbs, wire harness ( if equipped), light diffusers, vent tubes will be manditory to remove.

i started with the bulbs as i was not planning on working on this and had a question on something.

i removed the screws for the retainer clip and the light diffuser

then the wire harness, wich will also give me that to play with some to get the electrical side of the project done. ( which with my current delema i may start playing with soon)

and a nearly bare housing, just the adjusting hardware is left

next is to pop that bad boy in the oven! note you can use a heat gun or other method if you so choose, and i plan to get a shop oven for stuff like this, but the wify is awsome and let me do it in the house! the only reason for the heat is you need to get the glue hot enough to release. heat gun done evenly works also i just prefer the heat and wait method insted. i used like 200-225* for like 10min and it was enough for these but your lights may vary. (my car lights needed like 15 min) once the glue is soft enough start releasing the lock tabs and prying the lens off slowly.. after a bit of work ( again mine was pretty easy compared to others i have done) you will have this.

a little test fit so see how things are gonna look

and just setting the lens close to see how it is gonna look

i tried a silicone washer for vibration/shock and to help keep it in place from shifting, but it makes the projector hit the lens and the lens is not on all the way. so that tells me that will be a no go as it will be close anyway, so i will be looking into other options for shock and better rotation retention

projector on left in this pic has the spacer

now this is were it will get intresting! the mounting side! this should be a straight forward process as the projectors came with H4 adaptor plates.. but as many of you know and as i quickly learned honda in all it's wisdom does not use a standard H4 bulb resulting in this

although this gives enough to clamp the projector in there you cannot leave it like this!

as not only will this throw the up and down adjustment off ( may or may not be able to compensate with factory adjustments,) but if you look close at the arrangement of the tabs for the bulb and they are not plumb! resulting in crooked lights! as can be seen here with the shrouds off.

this would make the cutoff horrible and misaligned so now, how to fix? i have tried a couple things that i could with at home ( or at shop) and local hardware store and come creative jucies, to no avail just yet. the issue i am having is the hole in the reflector housing is large enough that it is letting the roundness of the projectors bowl to stick through farther than the threads on the stem go so you cant just clamp it in place. and i have pics for this

the hole

the hole with the projector just sticking in there so you can see the issue (kinda, i will take one from the side later so you can see the profile better)

i even took one of the adapters and cut off the legs to see if i could clamp where the projector touches the housing, but this is were i learned about the stem and the mounting depth

i even tried to make a spacer to get the adapter further away, but if you lay the spacer in there and feed the projector in you can see it lift a little which means it still wont clamp.

i have a couple tricks up the sleave yet tho and have come up with another idea to see what i can get to work.. i want to have it a simple as possible but will have to see.

the next thing i am gonna try is the bulb adaptors like you can get from cyclemax and lay that in place then take the h4 adapter i cut the legs off and lay it on it, this should get me up away from the projector body enough to not hit and be able to have good clamping but i am a little leary of the legs on the bought adapter being strong enough for the job. but i will see when they come in. if not i have a plan to use round welding rod and make a circle kinda like a metal oring that i can space up and away from the projector housing and use my legless adapter over it.

and if all else fails i will make sure the cut off is nice and even were i want them and get out the JB weld! i have other plans that i am going on in here too, but will wait til i start playing with them before i spoil it all!

89 honda goldwing gl1500
07 yamaha fz6 (wifes)
05 honda shadow sabre 1100 ( rip/deer)
08 triumph 1050 tiger - sold and sorely missed
05 triumph tiger 955i ( rip)
03 honda 919 ( traded for 05 tiger)

IBA member 38738

bigdog9191999

Re: GL1500 Projector Headlight Install

Postby bigdog9191999 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 am

i will continue on in this manner till i get it done and i will try to get many pics along the way. and try to get as many before and after or possible side by side if i can find someone else local willing to meet up. but so far it has been very easy. and if i can get this mounting thing licked easy then i think it would be an easy swap for some considerable output gains that i am suprised nobody has really done much of to date considereing the huge benifits of them. but i suppose many just add more lights.

i may also be adding some additional led strips or someting in there while it is apart but not sure just yet and i will not be holding this up so i can make up my mind either. if i dont have it figured out by the time i am ready to close it up and run it then i will just skip it.

i will also have a complete list of what i used and from were before i am done too as well as a rough price list just for basic reference. but being i got a used light and had the projectors on sale, i am sure i will have spent a little less than what could be spent buying all new stuff.

i havent mentioned it till now either but i am also doing the swap from the usless turn/corner lights to stock driving/fog lights off the newer style bike also. and running led bulbs.

have this setup now

and have these to put in

here is a stock photo of the bulbs i ordered for the driving lights

ok and just because i have the time here is what i am using/planning on using so far.

ebay headlight $90 + $20 ship for $110

ebay.com

trs morimoto mini projector ( "scratch and dent, just ask them. they are great to work with) $75

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...rojectors.html

led bulbs for driving lights, ebay (can get on amazon too) $55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121331507912...#ht_287wt_1124

DDM hid kit. 35w 4300 or 4500 color H1 (for the projector, not the bike!) about $30

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

and i will post the rest of the stuff i use as i figure it out.
89 honda goldwing gl1500
07 yamaha fz6 (wifes)

IBA member 38738

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500 Projector HID Headlight Install

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:09 pm

This is great, and I know other people are going to be interested, so I'm going to move this to the GL1500 DIY section.

bigdog9191999

Postby bigdog9191999 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:01 pm

i wondered about putting it there. thanks for the move

the one thing that suprises me about this is that so few have done it! with the gains to be had i would have figured it done more!
89 honda goldwing gl1500
07 yamaha fz6 (wifes)

IBA member 38738

bigdog9191999

Postby bigdog9191999 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:12 am

some updates! i was playing around with some led strips i had trying to decide if i like it or not. and came up with these possible configureations

this was the most likley think i liked (they are bright white 5-6k and not blue as they look here)

but as you would see the unlit strip i am not sure (just laying there for testing)

single on the bottom

around the main refector

the strips

they are side fire

while playing with the led's the mail came and i was suprised to see that both the bulb adapters and the led's for the lower lights were both there!

and because i have had a couple questions on the projectors here are a couple pics of them stand alone and with the mounting hardware on them. they are morimoto mini H1 projectors from trs ( the retrofit source) and they are listed above with a link to them.

and with the adapters on the stem. they work by clamping the bottom of the projector body against the headlight refelctor

and as seen from the backside of the headlight housing

and now for the new stuffs! the new adapters compared to the stock H4 pattern, the narrow one is the standard H4 and the wide bottom is the honda version

and you can see here that it will raise our claming point up a good ways and now gives us the clearance to clamp and not hit the projector body

and you will lay the new adapter in the housing first, then the H4 adapter that comes with the projector over it with tabs cut off so you can get the correct rotation, cause if you rember the stock one is tilted some for some reason ( probably the same reason the bulbs are not standard H4!

and with the new adapter in and the modified one over it, it seems to catch enough that the tabs seem ok and are holding pretty good, and even during my tighting didnt seem to bend them anything noticable if they did move.

now that i seem to have a way that they are gonna hold in ok, time to mount up the shroud and see about clearances. ( i picked up some rubber washers i wanted to try but i didnt feel like modifying the shroud enough to make it fit corrctly.) once i got it all in and got the lens pretty close to where it will need to be i found a contact point!

i apperantly forgot to take a pic of the shroud after i made some clearance for the lens, but it was simply taking off the "point" on the top center ridge of the shroud ( will make sense if you either look at one, or when i get a pic) the pic will be as they are mounted to the lens as they screw onto the projector housing from the rear and there is more than i want to take back off to do so as well as i would have to reset the cutoff again.

speaking of which that part was next. i screwed them on by hand enough that it took a little force to turn, poped some bulbs in there and lit them up!

and after a bit of tweeking then some very lucky work with some channel locks to the lock rings they didnt move on me. and i ended up with roughly this

now i am to the point that i need to take the bike apart and start figuring on the wiring ( going to make my own relay harness using the stock wiring that came on the new light so i dont have to cut anything on the bike making the whole thing reversable with no more time to change than to swap housings.) and getting the selinoids for the "high beam" wired up again using the stock harness as a starting point. the thing i am not sure of just yet is that there needs to be a constant power to the hid's as they never turn off as stock does when switching from one filiment to the other. i may just tap the position light for constant on then just use the stock high to activate the selinoid. am hoping to get the bike inside and taken mostly apart monday evening/night and getting everything fitted and tested out and hoping back together tuesday. and belive me i am "looking" forward to it!
89 honda goldwing gl1500
07 yamaha fz6 (wifes)

IBA member 38738

bigdog9191999

Postby bigdog9191999 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:26 pm

OK progress! I know I am missing a few steps and a few pics but it is mundane things like running wires and such.

Ok here are the shots of the shroud trimmed a bit for clearance

Popped it back in the oven and got it closed up pretty good and had taken the old light out and just set the trim back on to get an idea how this thing will look done. ( it is just sitting there no bolts wires nothing

And now comes the fun part! And I took this thing quite apart ! Possibly more than needed for this project but I intended to do the lower lights and a couple other things while I was at it . I also changed the air filter while I was close and figured out what a few other wires were and tucked that stuff away as well as pulled the windshield ( picked up a used slipstreamer to try. And pulled the dash to fix some fallen speaker while in that deep. )

Also found this little guy in the dash while getting the extra stuff done and tidying up the wires that were there

Also found that the plastic were the lock nut holds the adjusting cable on. So I will have to replace that at some point.

Now the parts I didn't take pics of was running the batt wire to front ( which is pretty easy). And the main wiring for the ballasts . I ran the main feed into the relay and ran a short piece with female spades on both ends. Then went from the relay and ran a male spade from each ballast into the end of that wire ( the other female spade). . for a trigger I just used a scotch lock off the position light ( as if use the headlight it would turn off with high and we need it on all times. ). And ground ( both for relay and ballast I used the two bolts behind the headlight with a ring terminal under them. For the high beam it comes with a goofy little plug so I just cut the plastic for them to get the pins out and shoved said pins into the spade receptacle in the high beam terminals of the factory bulb plugs .

It took a bit of fiddling and cramming together it all to go in there.

but i figure as i will want to take it back apart and put some led position lights in there i will try to grab some pics then

i will also be looking in to getting these lower lights installed but they were different enough and i was wanting to get it back together so i didnt miss days of riding i will have that back apart to look into that further also. but here are the aftermath pics. ( i will get more/better of this too in the coming days also)

before

after

before

after

the colors are washed a bit but you can see a little the extra that it gives on the sides of the road oh high

low

high

low (the cutoff is just above the cross stree, as you can see just a touch of green there.)

high

and a couple on the garage wall

low

high

i was planning on getting some before/after of the two beam patterns on the wall, road, and whatever else i could that woudl show the contrast but again with the short time and victory of it working like it was supposed to i got what i could and will try for some comparison pics when i do the position lights, or more ideally i could get someone too meet with me in the dark and take some side by side comparison pics which would be more ideal as there would not be any camera compensations you would be able to see straight out the differences in color and beam pattern, and brightness.
89 honda goldwing gl1500
07 yamaha fz6 (wifes)

IBA member 38738

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 pm

It looks great, and the upper beam cutoff is fantastic!

BigBro
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200i Interstate

Postby BigBro » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Bigdog been tracking your tutorial. This looks great.
Wonder if one of these would fit into a 1200 lamp.

What is the mounting depth necessary inside the lamp for the projector?
Did you take any measurements in there?

I might be willing to attempt this this winter if it looks possible.

bigdog9191999

Postby bigdog9191999 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:57 am

i did not measure. but the overall length of the projector i can either get from trs or can meausre another ( i have a couple more)

not sure how well this will work with your 1200 as the lens on it looks like the stock that mine had and you want a clear lens so the beam pattern and cutoff are correct.

if this is something you still want to try i will help what i can. but not having a 1200 for comparison or to look at and eyeball for fitment my help will be limited
89 honda goldwing gl1500
07 yamaha fz6 (wifes)

IBA member 38738

bigdog9191999

Postby bigdog9191999 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:33 pm

a couple of pics while i was out the other day in the sunlight.

89 honda goldwing gl1500
07 yamaha fz6 (wifes)

IBA member 38738

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”