How to replace your universal joint (and driveshaft)

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: How to replace your universal joint (and driveshaft)

Post by Swagonmaster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:46 pm

kiptap, I can feel your pain, that boot replacement can be something that you don't want your kids to hear you talking about. :evil: I will give one recommendation, warm the rubber boot! I am a retired auto tech so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to do. Wrong! After several frustrating hours of trying I brought the boot indoors and put it on the hot air register (December you know) and got it hot. When I took it out to the garage for another round I couldn't believe how much easier it was to go on! Actually I thought that I had it on wrong, it couldn't have gone on that easy!
Secondly, if your are having trouble splinning the driveshaft into the u joint, take the driven flange/spider and turn the final drive and therefore the driveshaft while installing the shaft.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Another thing, I replaced the u joint because of a vibration above about 60 mph. As it turned out the joint was ok, the problem was the rubber dampers in the rear wheel. Oh well, live and learn.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:45 am

One more recommendation for the boot replacement could be removing the wires and brake light switch out of the way.

So you can easily reach the 3 ears of the boot and install it in 5 minutes. No pain anymore.