Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

How to adjust your handlebars

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:15 pm

The GL1500 handlebars can be adjusted up or down slightly to suit personal preferences. There are a limited number of positions to which they can be adjusted - too high and they will hit the windshield at full lock, and too low and they will hit the false tank.

Other handlebar position modification techniques such as risers don't really work with the GL1500, as they interfere with the handlebar bridge and fairing, so you're pretty much limited to the built-in adjustments.

To adjust your handlebars, you will need a torque wrench - this is important! Do not try to "guess" the correct torque for this safety-critical item!

1. Remove the ignition switch cover by gently pulling up at the bottom as shown until the posts disengage from the rubber grommets. Then release the tabs at the top and remove the cover.

2. Pull the handlebar cover free.

3. Set a towel on the top of the false "gas tank" to protect the paint finish. Loosen the four handlebar clamp nuts a bit at a time until the handlebars become slightly loose. Once they are loose, sit on the motorcycle and adjust the handlebars to the height you desire.

4. Using a torque wrench tighten the front handlebar clamp bolts to 18 ft-lb, then repeat the process on the rear clamp bolts. It is important that you tighten the front bolts first! Once tight, turn the handlebars all the way from one side to the other, to ensure you have clearance, that the brake or clutch reservoirs don't impact the windshield, and that nothing hits the false tank. If you have a clearance issue, loosen the bolts and re-adjust the handlebars.

5. Replace the handlebar cover and press into place.

6. Replace the ignition cover by inserting the front tabs into their slots, then rotating the back down into place, pushing the posts into their grommets.

punch7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: How to adjust your handlebars

Postby punch7 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:43 pm

THANK YOU, Wingadmin! That was nice of you to do that.

I recall the procedure was fairly simple (even though I didn't remember it :oops:) and I appreciate your quick answer. I also appreciate the torque spec, which is quite important and I'll follow your guidelines. Thanks again!

Punch

newtothe1996wing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 1996 2055 miles on as of 5/2014!

Postby newtothe1996wing » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Great piece, I did not know they were attached in a conventional manner. Thank you!!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:03 pm

On my windshield, on the right side, is a smudged up place I just couldn't get clean. I didn't know what the heck was causing it til I was out on vacation.
My front brake fluid reservoir hits the windshield when making a sharp left turn. :roll:
When I'm able to work on the bike again, I can fix that. Got to move my cup holder too. A hard left turn and it shuts off the radio and turns the tape player on. (At least I think so. The display shows an arrow pointing to the right.)

I though my radio had quit when it first happened. Then I figured it out later.
:roll:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”