Fixing those sticking switches!

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Fixing those sticking switches!

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 pm

I know this topic comes up often and seems to be run into the ground. But here are the culprits and the areas that need attention.

Here is the Radio Mute button.

The wiring is different than the Hazard and Cruise control but they operate the same. That is "Push on, Push off"

As it has been said, Honda coated the contacts with dielectric grease to inhibit corrosion but over time this grease turns against you and gums up. It makes the switches hard to operate. Specifically, it makes them hard to turn off!

Cruise Control Switch

The grease in the switch that causes the most trouble is in this part.
The little metal rod wont easily move through the thickened grease so the switch doesn't release.

I cleaned off both sides and reapplied a silicone based product.

This is the part where the little metal rod moves.

These are the switch contacts.

All of these switches contain very small parts. The smallest are the springs under the contacts. The thought of losing one will probably keep most from disassembling the switch to clean it. That and trying to get it all back in the housing the way Honda had it.

If you do decide to tackle this, don't forget to clean and re-grease the contact plate before you snap the assembly together.
I do have more photos but couldn't get more than eight on one posting.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Fixing those sticking switches!

Postby spiralout » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks for posting this. This is much better than all the new threads started by first or second time posters asking what to do about a sticking switch instead of searching and reading :D :D

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Just the amount of time to sort, choose, upload, and compose intelligent and easy to understand dialogue leaves me in awe of the Wingadmin for his comprehensive How-To articles. Most of the photos I took were of the switches on the pod I replaced so it was not while in the process of working on my Wing.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:17 pm

And there is no such thing as a replacement for the individual pieces or switches. You buy the whole assembly if you lose a tiny little spring or contact...or you just don't use the switch...(like me in the case of my 4way switch when the spring took off across the driveway)
I'm in the process of digging through my collection of other assemblies from other motorcycles to find a similar spring. Not looking good so far.

CA_Guy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE

Postby CA_Guy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:56 pm

I liberally spray mine with Boeshield T-9. It does a great job of flushing out the old grease and leaves it with a nice coat of lubricating protection. I have used this on all my bikes and vehicles, as well as my boat, for years. I ran into this when I owned a 39 foot twin diesel ocean boat. Everyone swore by it and now I have joined that chorus! One of the best products out there. DOES NOT GUM LIKE WD-40 - enough said!!

Look here for info: http://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:16 pm

If you are going to disassemble these switches to clean them, get a large gallon-size Ziploc bag. Put the switch in the bag, and then put your hands in the bag while disassembling them. This way, if a spring launches itself, instead of disappearing forever, it is captured by the bag, and you don't lose it.

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:33 am

WingAdmin wrote:If you are going to disassemble these switches to clean them, get a large gallon-size Ziploc bag. Put the switch in the bag, and then put your hands in the bag while disassembling them. This way, if a spring launches itself, instead of disappearing forever, it is captured by the bag, and you don't lose it.

Where's the "LIKE" button!

RFW&LMW
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing 1500 SE/1971 CB750 sold/ 1963 BSA 650 Gold Star Twin,/
1958 BSA 650 Golden Flash, both bikes long gone way in the past.

Postby RFW&LMW » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:15 am

Let me know when you find it. :?
THE GRISWALDS

Cgaux1207071
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE Trike Lehman

Postby Cgaux1207071 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:43 pm

WingAdmin wrote:If you are going to disassemble these switches to clean them, get a large gallon-size Ziploc bag. Put the switch in the bag, and then put your hands in the bag while disassembling them. This way, if a spring launches itself, instead of disappearing forever, it is captured by the bag, and you don't lose it.

Thanks great solution to common problem What are you using to clean switch gunk

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”