Adding an Aux input to the GL1500 radio

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Re: Adding an Aux input to the GL1500 radio

Post by liquineer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:53 pm

I have bought what I hope will be the correct cord to do this on my 1988 bike, it is a double ended plug cord (interestingly guaranteed for a year- but not after cutting the end off I imagine)- and I did not ask this before, because I was slightly resigned to not doing this with my previous expereince of the slippery cord, and it may be a dumb question, but as my board looks different to the illustrated one, although the components we need are in the same place-how do I identify the ground connecting point on the board? The one in the article is not in the same place, so I need to find another grounding point. As I have said before it was a long time ago that I last did anything major in electronics.

Are we having fun yet?

ScottinIowa

Post by ScottinIowa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 am

Excellent info - thanks! I'm doing this mod today and really appreciate the pictures. However I think I have found one error - in the picture of the headphone jack I believe the left and right channel callouts are reversed. According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

the tip is the left channel. It will still work as shown, just wanted to point this out.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:08 pm

ScottinIowa wrote:Excellent info - thanks! I'm doing this mod today and really appreciate the pictures. However I think I have found one error - in the picture of the headphone jack I believe the left and right channel callouts are reversed. According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

the tip is the left channel. It will still work as shown, just wanted to point this out.
You're correct - the tip is the left channel, the ring is right. Not many people would notice. :)

1. Sleeve: usually ground
  2. Ring: Right-hand channel for stereo signals, negative polarity for balanced mono signals, power supply for power-using mono signal sources
  3. Tip: Left-hand channel for stereo signals, positive polarity for balanced mono signals, signal line for unbalanced mono signals
  4. Insulating rings

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Ya know? I never knew this....once again something learned on Goldwingdocs :shock:

Riqui
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Riqui » Sat May 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Thank you very much for the info, I did it yesterday on my bike (aspen) and a friend (SE) ​​and it works great. As data to add to the SE I took the cassette empty but place him recorded and you connect the plug stops spending cassette music and mp3 listening only. Excuse my English (google translator) and thanks again. Riqui of GoldWing Club Argentino.
Pd: I solder directly to C139 and C140 without remove the board

SgtCharlie
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencade in "Plum Crazy" Purple

Post by SgtCharlie » Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 am

Ok, this is a really great discussion, but I have one more question/possibility that I just thought about. There have been a couple of discussions about using your smart phone with this mod and no one has done it yet.

My question/theory is that there has to be a solder point for the microphone for the intercom as well as for the other three (ground, left and right).

My theory is that a person could use an older (hands-free, 4 wire plug) and solder in the three as usual and then the microphone one to the intercom. At this point, the other end is plugged into the phone and the only draw-back would be that you'd have to PTT (Push-To-Talk) when you wanted to talk to the other person on the phone...

It's just a theory (I'm a software nerd, not a hardware geek)... Let me know what ya'll think.
:geek:

P.S. Of course, with today's technology, one could just have a bluetooth connection in their helmet and mute/turn off the radio when a call comes in...

And then of course there's this solution...
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... -SMH10D-11
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... MC-HS-G130
With these two, you just plug your phone directly into your onboard 5-pin system and "Wallah" Bluetooth connection to both riders The phone would take up the front 5-pin jack and both headsets are Bluetooth.

huh... I'm still confused... :? Would that work?
Sgt Charlie
86th Signal Battalion
Fort Bliss, TX

svorn
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Adding an Aux input to the GL1500 radio

Post by svorn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:06 am

Like others, I've wanted to do this mod for several years, but have been gun-shy to try it. I had the bike down for alternator replacement, so I went ahead and gave it a shot.

It was fairly easy. You just have to be careful. I accidentally soldered to the wrong point on the board, but found it with a continuity check before I put it back together.

I went to Radio Shack and bought their 8ft. headphone extension cord, item 42-2492, and cut it down to about 3 feet long. It was $7. The wires were big enough to be soldered, and they held fine. I'm not the best solderer in the world, but I was able to manage. These had real conductors, not the metallic fiber wire like they were talking about in previous comments.

By adding to these how-tos, we can improve little by little. I have one comment about which side of the capacitor to solder to. I soldered my wires to the side of the capacitor that has a white mark on the front of the board. It's shaped like macaroni. I soldered both of my wires to that side of each capacitor, and it worked fine. I soldered the ground wire to one of the corner screws, as it had a nice chunk of solder to hook to.

You have to come up with your own way to exit the stereo with the wire, but that's where your own engineering skills come in.

I had to call a buddy to find a tape to use. Those things are getting harder to find. Put it in, and it works awesome. No engine noise.

One last comment I have is about a sacrificial wire. I'm going to buy another one of these wires, and hook it to the one out of the stereo inside the fairing under the left pocket. If the end gets damaged, or some knucklehead cuts it or rips it off the bike, I just have to replace a $7 wire. I wouldn't have to resolder the board with a new wire.

Thanks for the original post. This made riding my Goldwing much more enjoyable as I can use Pandora on the bike now. If you haven't done it, give it a try! I almost sent mine to Sierra, but I didn't like the external switch they install. I saved $120.

Thanks and enjoy!
svorn

svorn

Post by svorn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:27 pm

I originally tried this with a cassette converter tape slid in there as a false trigger, and it worked fine. When I disassembled the tape, it doesn't work. The cassette light with two inward arrows flashes on the dash. I'm going to get another new tape from my buddy and try it without tearing it apart.

ScottinIowa

Post by ScottinIowa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Note for future reference: I originally did the 'cassette tape' input which doesn't require the relay or the switch, but does require the dummy tape. It does not work with my Samsung Galaxy S3, or my daughters (same phone model), but it did work with any other phone, ipod, etc. that we tried. So I took it all apart again and did the FM radio input with the switch and the relay. Mine is an 89 so originally it didn't work - there is a note in the directions that in the early 1500 years you have to use a different ground (under a board mounting screw instead of soldering to a board ground). Once I did that it worked like a champ! I like it for listening to MP3s because Google Maps routing interrupts the music for directions. I just returned from a 1600 mile ride from Boise, ID to central Iowa and it worked great the whole time!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Interesting...I have a Samsung G3 and a "Monster Tape Adapter" that works great in the cassette deck of my car (yes yes, you all can giggle now), I still have not tried it on the bike yet, so will do that to see.

svorn

Post by svorn » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:31 pm

I put a new blank tape in, and it works great! No noise from tape that I can hear. My deck wouldn't play an empty tape with no guts. At least it's working!

Winger 99
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE
2006 750 Aero
2007 750 Aero

Post by Winger 99 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Tried this method on my 1999se had both c 139 and c 140 capacitors located soldered to the positive terminals on each and ground connected mp3 player to bike and only got a low volume through the cassette .Did get more from am radio but got music and static. Let the wire go again left it as it was .Should have i used the negative side of the capacitors?

svorn

Post by svorn » Sat May 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Winger 99 wrote:Tried this method on my 1999se had both c 139 and c 140 capacitors located soldered to the positive terminals on each and ground connected mp3 player to bike and only got a low volume through the cassette .Did get more from am radio but got music and static. Let the wire go again left it as it was .Should have i used the negative side of the capacitors?
I used the side that had a white mark shaped like macaroni. Mine works fine. I don't know what value, positive or negative it is, but it worked. Good luck!

fldirector
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE with CSC trike kit
1980 GL1100

Post by fldirector » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:00 am

This thread is awesome!!! I'm a total dork when it comes to electronics. And with mechanical things, I get cut if I even pick-up a screw driver.
My dilemma is this... Are the instructions on removing the radio/cassette player found in the GW Service Manual? How much risk do I have in attempting this and screwing up the radio (which at least works)?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28 pm

fldirector wrote:This thread is awesome!!! I'm a total dork when it comes to electronics. And with mechanical things, I get cut if I even pick-up a screw driver.
My dilemma is this... Are the instructions on removing the radio/cassette player found in the GW Service Manual? How much risk do I have in attempting this and screwing up the radio (which at least works)?
You can see the removal/installation instructions, as well as disassembly of the radio here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10985

roadhawg
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by roadhawg » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:43 pm

At the risk of coming across as an absolute goober I think there is a much simpler way to accomplish the same result. They make a cassette adapter that plugs right in to an MP3 player portable CD player or pretty anything else. I use one with an MP3 player and it works great. The cassette tape lid will still close even with the cord hanging out of it. The adapters are cheap and available at Wal-mart, Dollar Stores, etc.

wingone01
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE GL1500

Post by wingone01 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 pm

I tried the blank cassette mod. and soldered a 3.5mm jack onto the board. I could not get this to work. I pulled it apart and checked. Could not find anything wrong but went ahead and re-soldered the three leads. Still got the same result. Static and occasionally I would hear the music when I would switch from am to fm. After a couple of seconds even this would disappear. :?

I ended up putting an fm modulator in and it does not sound too bad. I hate to be defeated on the hardwired mod though. I read in a previous post that some users could not get the mod to work using blank tapes. I wonder if this is my problem??

Anyway, while I had it out; I did the LED upgrade on the push buttons and it worked just fine. Looks good at night!

svorn

Post by svorn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Did you switch it over to tape mode? After hardwiring, you have to insert a blank tape and switch the radio over to tape. Also, a tape with the guts removed didn't work for me. I had to use a blank tape with everything still in it to get it to work. The tape adaptors work, but the sound is better when it's hardwired. Either way, too bad Honda didn't foresee this back then. Now I'm looking for alternatives to the factory speakers. Have a great music selection with my IPhone and Pandora, but the stock speakers are horrendous.

wingone01
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE GL1500

Post by wingone01 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:36 am

Thanks for your feedback.

After I took everything out, I read your post last night about how the blank tape did not work for you. This may be my problem too. Next time I pull the radio or anything close I may try it again. I did put it in cassette mode but everything I tried did not seem to work. I too am using my ipod/iphone for music and am looking forward to get it up and running on the bike.

The previous owner did mention when I bought the bike "the cassette player tends to eat tapes". I did not think much about it at the time since I do not use the cassette player. Then I read about the upgrade on wingdoc. I thought I was in luck because my circuit board was exactly like the pictures it the mod and that it would be a piece of cake. Murphy's law....

Jump Wings
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by Jump Wings » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:00 am

Very helpful and well explained article. This reminds me of the system I rigged for my 78 Yamaha. Since it didn't have a radio I took an old transistor radio and wired a set of pillow speakers and microphones into the audio circuit. I don't know if bikes had intercoms back then but ours did. Since I had not installed a windshield yet we had a tough time talking without the intercom. Since I got rid of my last biker in 86 this is all new to me again. Apparently they made a lot of progress between 78 and 88 (my "new" bike). I will be adding this to use with my Motorola Electrify.
Mike

82nd Abn. Div. 67 - 69 Ft. Bragg, N.C.
173rd Abn. Brg. 69 - 70 Vietnam

harrys
Motorcycle: 2000 gl1500 se
2006 vtx1300

Post by harrys » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Just spent the last 2 days installing the mod with no success, what did I do wrong? Here's what I've done. installed the mod as per instructions but since my board is a little bit different than the one shown I went to the site referenced at the top of the instructions. the picture at the bottom of that page showed a board which looked exactly like mine so I wire it up with the cheap cable (like hairs) did not work so did more research and found on the forum about the cable so went to radio shack and bought a good cable with the proper shielding and 1/8 end. again wired it just like the pic, modified a tape, put it back in the bike and no sound thru the I-pod nor my galaxy phone which plays mp3 files. also the tape player plays a tape without issue.I thought I was following the instructions to the letter but it still doesn't work. also made sure the cable was for stereo not mono. anyone have any ideas what I've done wrong. obviously others have made this work so the fault must be mine. thanks for reading my tale of woe and or any advice.

svorn

Post by svorn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:29 pm

Did you try playing a blank tape with all the guts still in it? I gutted a tape just to find out that it didn't work. The tape deck didn't like it that the tape wasn't spinning reel to reel. I put in a new blank tape with all the stuff still in it, and it worked. Start with that first, then we'll go from there.

svorn

Post by svorn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Make note too that you have to press the radio/tape button to get the player to read the tape in tape mode. If you're trying it on fm or am, that won't work.

svorn

Post by svorn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:37 pm

ScottinIowa made note above as well that he had to use a different ground, which I believe was for an early 1500. Mines a 99, and I added a few notes above after I did mine. Something was said above too about some samsungs not working with a finished mod. Maybe try a different phone or MP3 player to double check.

harrys
Motorcycle: 2000 gl1500 se
2006 vtx1300

Post by harrys » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:59 pm

I tried both my ipod and my galaxy phone thinking one should work. I'm going to try the suggestion about the blank tape. the tape I used is a clear case with all the guts removed, maybe this is the problem. when I switch to tape mode the icon on the dash shows a tape with two arrows flashing. i'll try to find a blank tape somewhere and see if this helps. mine is a 2000 gl1500 se. thanks for the suggestion.