Adding an Aux input to the GL1500 radio

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
svorn
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Adding an Aux input to the GL1500 radio

Post by svorn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Oooo, I think you're in luck. The tape with the arrows flashing means your player is mad the tape has the guts removed. Find a tape that's intact, and give it a try. Even if it has something on it, you should hear your phone music. If that's the case, all you have to do is find a brand new blank tape, which is funny on how difficult they are to find now. You're almost there. Let us know if it works.

harrys
Motorcycle: 2000 gl1500 se
2006 vtx1300

Post by harrys » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for the information. Put a new blank tape in and it works just as advertised. Probably would have pulled all my hair out if not for the help. The tape wasn't hard to find, walmart 2 pack for $3.98. My thanks also to whoever came up with this project and whoever put it on this site. Love the info that I have found in just the short time since I joined goldwingdocs, great site.

MeneGene1971
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Post by MeneGene1971 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:47 am

I just completed this task on my 1996 Goldwing SE yesterday. First of all- thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge so that it is possible for others to do this. My Goldwing is the first of 7 bikes I have owned in my life to have a stereo, and I don't know how I ever rode without one! I have only had it about 6 months, and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't play my Ipod music while riding. Anyway, a few insights based on my experience hooking up the aux input wire. It isn't hard to do first of all. I am fairly mechanically inclined- but no expert by any means. Be careful when removing all the plastic stuff from around the handlebars as well as the actual radio housing/ shroud. Everything is hooked in there with fragile little plastic tabs. If you force anything- you will break it! The radio wiring harnesses require a delicate touch when unhooking them from the radio. Determine how the wire plug is hooked to the radio and then properly unhook them without getting violent about it. One of mine was extremely hard to unplug! Likewise, be very gentle when unhooking the little wiring harnesses from the circuit board. There are a lot of them and if you break one- you have problems. I didn't see any reference to the ground point number in this thread, so I found it in a different website. The right and left points are 139 and 140. The ground point is J106. It isn't readily apparent otherwise just looking at the board- at least not to a dummy like me! I also had a difficult time soldering my headphone wires on like some others have commented. I used a lighter and burned the thread fibers and colored coating off the ends of the wires- exposing what little copper is there. I had only soldered water pipes and large wires prior to this and it was by far the most difficult part of the task. I did get them to stick eventually and then I mixed up some JB Weld and applied a drop to each solder point with a toothpick and smeared a little bit on the remaining uncoated wire so that it can't touch another point on the board. Don't know if that was important or not- but seemed like a good idea. I'm at least confident that the wire is not going to pop off the solder point. When I powered the radio back up and plugged into an MP3 player- all I got was horrible sounding static. I felt a little bit ill at that point- but then started pushing buttons. After I pushed the button to flip sides of the tape it worked! Crystal clear sound! The tape I am using is an adapter cassette that has the cord cut off. If you were using a regular gutted out cassette, I don't know if the tape player would have a side preference like mine does. So that is about it for my "lessons learned". Hope some of that can help someone.
My Goldwing is not Purple- it's Royal Pearl Magenta! ;)

craigtech
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by craigtech » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Little snippit that saves you from needing an old cassette to make this work....
I have a 1995 Aspencade and did this mod myself a couple of years ago... but there is one more step that nobody tells you about.
If you have the Panasonic RM1500E model radio unit ** UNPLUG the cassette mechanism control connector from the main pcb. (The plug that goes from the main pcb to the cassette mech switching and solenoids - it's in the corner. Connector 106 if I remember correctly).
No need to insulate it or get fanatical - just unplug it and leave it sit on the circuit board.
This alleviates the need to have a cassette in the mechanism. The radio will show the correct information on the LCD.
I'm an electronics engineer, so if you're stuck or would like a schematic of your radio, I can email you one.

cheers, Craig
(from way too sunny Australia).

jamesjb
Motorcycle: 1999 goldwing

Post by jamesjb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:08 am

I have a 1999 GL1500 and the boards are different can anyone help on the ground wire or a pic. Thanks jb

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:38 pm

jamesjb wrote:I have a 1999 GL1500 and the boards are different can anyone help on the ground wire or a pic. Thanks jb
Are you just looking for a ground somewhere inside on the board?

jamesjb

Post by jamesjb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:25 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
jamesjb wrote:I have a 1999 GL1500 and the boards are different can anyone help on the ground wire or a pic. Thanks jb
Are you just looking for a ground somewhere inside on the board?

yes I see my 139 and 140 points , can't find my ground point this 1999 board is a little different from the early bikes.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:54 pm

There are many, many, many ground points accessible in the radio. The entire metal case is grounded, and pretty much every screw that fastens the board to the case is grounded. You case use one of those, or follow a trace or ground plane on the board to use that as a ground.

jamesjb

Post by jamesjb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:59 pm

WingAdmin wrote:There are many, many, many ground points accessible in the radio. The entire metal case is grounded, and pretty much every screw that fastens the board to the case is grounded. You case use one of those, or follow a trace or ground plane on the board to use that as a ground.

Ok thanks I'll give it a shot.

kaikaipau
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by kaikaipau » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:00 pm

I just finished the modification and it works perfectly! Years later, your post is still helping people... ;) Thanks so much. Oh, one thing that happened to me was I forgot to put something soft under the radio when I turned it upside down on top of the bike to remove the screws.... well, there were some :evil: deep scratches in my radio when I turned it over... yikes! :idea: So learn from my mistake. Have a soft towel to put under if necessary. :idea: I am thinking of using some vinyl wrap for my stereo to cover it all up... just have to figure out how I'm going to put the labels on... Thanks for this website WingAdmin! My neighbor is jealous of my 'technical' skills... :lol:
:geek: "...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass..." :geek:

pocity
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by pocity » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:10 pm

I have a 96 Interstate without the cassette player. How do I add an aux input so I can play music from my phone other than an FM transmitter/modulator.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:24 pm

pocity wrote:I have a 96 Interstate without the cassette player. How do I add an aux input so I can play music from my phone other than an FM transmitter/modulator.
I have no first hand experience but from what I've read on the Interstate model there should be a pigtail with a 3.5mm male jack under the left pocket. The part number for the pigtail if it's not there is 39170-MY4-870.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:56 pm

Just hopefully a simple question from an electronics neanderthal.

Reading through this post- I won't be attempting to solder in an AUX wire - as I know I would make a mess of that. Reading the posts there is a mention of using a Monster Cassette Adapter and plugging that into a mobile phone device to listen to music etc.

My question is - if you use this adapter can you plug it into the Iphone or any other device to use that as an input, say a GPS as well, or is it only for a music source?

If you can plug the GPS in - I presume you could also plug in your headset and hear the GPS instructions?

As you guessed I am a Neanderthal

thanks in advance :)

kaikaipau
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by kaikaipau » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Yeah, you can plug anything you want into the aux plug and it will play it. I use my phone, or my iPod touch and it works just fine. I'm very glad I did this mod as I sometimes get poor reception with my radio stations. But yeah, you could plug anything into it and it would play it... a GPS included.
:geek: "...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass..." :geek:

pocity
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by pocity » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 pm

I found the cable. It was buried deep down in the left side fairing.

bassibil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by bassibil » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Still Not anyone that have found a solution to connect the cellphone Microphone to the helmetmic.
No, i dont want to use Bluetooth. i whould like to connect it to the onboard Mic. beacuse my helmetmic is very good low noise even in high speed.
im from Norway, my GW is a 1500GL 1999 imported to Norway in 2000
Sorry for my bad English, not my native language.. :-)
I have a Pioneer CD Changer connected to my system that no longer works. I have not studied this but there may be a AUX connected to this to my system, maybe i can use this to atleast play music on my phone.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:21 am

I just painted the panel using a specially prepared spray paint, covered only the lower labels vol etc. , the buttons have their labels on them, just disassemble the top unit, and paint it, it is quite easy.

pbourgoin
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

Post by pbourgoin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:00 pm

I just finished this mod and thought I would share my findings and how I decided to do it. First I ordered these 2 cables from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0F ... ingdocs-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011SR ... ingdocs-20
The first cable has a mountable 3.5mm female plug and when the wire is cut it contains 3 small wire that have a copper core and very easy to solder. Yellow is the ground and red and white are the positives. MAKE SURE you solder to the side of the connections that have the half moon mark or the mod WILL NOT WORK.. In the side of the radio drill a small hole to mount the female plug. My phone mount is a clamp on that is near the throttle and the connector cord is flat so it is very easy to route thru the handle bar covers then it is only plug and play no extra wires hanging out of the radio and if you have to remove the radio you can just unplug the cord beside the main harness.
Attachments

This is where I mounted the female plug right behind the main harness plugs
This is where I mounted the female plug right behind the main harness plugs

This is the output plug from the outside of the case
This is the output plug from the outside of the case

This is the flat male to male cord one end is straight for the phone or I-pod and the side for the stereo is a 90deg angle.
This is the flat male to male cord one end is straight for the phone or I-pod and the side for the stereo is a 90deg angle.

This is what they look like plugged in..
This is what they look like plugged in..

I got this Goldwing for my wife........ Good trade huh??? :D

5m0k3y
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
2000 Harley XLS1200S

Post by 5m0k3y » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:59 pm

Did this today, similar to pbourgoin whereas I wired in a socket, mine is on a short bit of heavy wiring tho and comes out about 4" where the wiring plugs in to the radio under the boot. From there a cord is plugged into it with a bit of heat shrink over it to seal it and hold it in place. Solid and moisture tight, yet easy to replace the cord if it becomes damaged.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:00 pm

5m0k3y wrote:Did this today, similar to pbourgoin whereas I wired in a socket, mine is on a short bit of heavy wiring tho and comes out about 4" where the wiring plugs in to the radio under the boot. From there a cord is plugged into it with a bit of heat shrink over it to seal it and hold it in place. Solid and moisture tight, yet easy to replace the cord if it becomes damaged.
I did mine in a bit of a custom way: I cut into the input on the board, fed that to a DPDT relay, and from there to two pairs of 1:1 audio transformers to use as ground loop isolators. I ran connectors outside the radio with Hitachi-type quick disconnects, for servicing. This allows me to have two separate AUX inputs, with a way of switching between them, and integrated ground loop isolators to keep out any hum or alternator noise.

Tallpaul
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE, voyager kit

Post by Tallpaul » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:13 pm

]After a lot of reading about this, I purchased a AudioVox FMM 100A fm modulator to help up grade my rather sorry 2000 GW radio. WOW! After the install, and going shopping for a 1/8" RCA cord, that I wish came with the kit, everything works, and I love it. Anyone who is afrade of removing and sauldering wires to its circuit board like I was, this is a rather inexpensive painless upgrade. Go for it! :

IDTag
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I
1999 GL1500SE

Post by IDTag » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:43 pm

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd add some info from my experience adding the aux input. I have a 1999 SE and ran into a few issues along the way adding an XM radio.

First off, I wired in the left and right channels as listed in all the other threads. I grounded the jack to the lug on the board and that seems to work fine as far as wiring goes.

The gutted cassette didn't work so had to use a blank one. The one post where they disconnected the wiring to the cassette (J106) to prevent the warning on the LCD didn't work, it wouldn't load a cassette at all. Maybe there's another connector but didn't chase it further.

For testing I connected my Samsung Galaxy S6 and that didn't work well at all. The S6 switches to the headphone jack when it detects connection to an output device but the aux connector doesn't always give it the signal (or resistance) it's looking for. Beyond that, the sound though the speakers would cut out intermittently with some static then come back on, really random. The following day I connected my XM radio and it seems to work just fine so a compatibility problem with output from the Galaxy.

For XM I picked up a RoadTech AL20 that's actual made for Harley. It's about the same size as the XM units but waterproof so no fear of rain. Simple connections to power, ground and a 1/8" stereo jack for output to the aux input on the Goldwing. Will see how it works on the road next week.

sprintexec
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE Aspencade

Post by sprintexec » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 am

Great thread, an oldie but a goodie. I'm wondering if this will work for my '94 GL1500 Aspencade? What are the chances that the circuit board layout will have been changed? I don't want to remove the radio unit only to discover that the mentioned solder points have changed. Thanks, Andy

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:52 pm

sprintexec wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 am
Great thread, an oldie but a goodie. I'm wondering if this will work for my '94 GL1500 Aspencade? What are the chances that the circuit board layout will have been changed? I don't want to remove the radio unit only to discover that the mentioned solder points have changed. Thanks, Andy
I think they remained consistent throughout the lifecycle of the GL1500.

Rayvn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1994 Yamaha TW200, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Rayvn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi all :-) Ok, I have been reading through this thread and I have a question. I am not new to wings. This one is my 6th one and it is a 1994 gl 1500 SE. with only 42,000 miles on it.I have had 2 1100's a 1200 a 1993 asp. and I have a 2002 1800 and now this 1994 SE with a side car. So my question is, In my manual it says there is a radio jack type pigtail for audio input but from what I am reading here it was only on the interstate, is that true? I have been looking for it and it is not there. However there is a two wired , green connector, with a white cap on it. What is that connector for. Could this be the plug in for that pigtail ??? And if so there was a part number listed somewhere in here for that pigtail.. I can hope can't I...... :-)

Lang may your lum reek