Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to free stuck pushbutton switches

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 am

jjvandel wrote:
willyssr wrote:I tried this twice with no avail. My cruise is still stuck in the on position,and my hazard flasher button will not stay in to keep the flashers on. It's almost as if it doesn't catch to hold the switch on. Anybody's thoughts?
I had the same problem where the hazard button stuck in when I pushed it on and couldn't get the button to come out. I had to take the switch apart because I couldn't spray any cleaner inside of it. You must be careful taking it apart so you don't loose the tiny parts (springs & contacts) inside the switch.
I called the Honda Shop and they said they don't make the switch and I would have to check the junk yards for the part or disable the hazard switch.
I got mine back together and it is working fine.
See pictures: I didn't figure out how to add pictures at this time.
See: How to add pictures to your messages

vtx_crazy
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by vtx_crazy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:51 am

A vibrator will un-stick the button in a couple seconds. My mute button gets stuck once a year and this trick pops it right out. Then I use silicon spray to lube it up.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Vibrators, lube...we're still talking about Goldwings, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

LDodge
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Aspencade (sold)
1995 1500 SE (sold *sigh*)
1996 1500 Aspencade

Post by LDodge » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks for the advise. Now that I opened the clam shells to clean the switches they have a little wobble in them after putting them back together. What can I do to eliminate this?
On the road again ..YIPPIE. Riding with the Green Hornet and Kato :mrgreen:

spiderjack
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by spiderjack » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:59 pm

I tried this with WD-40 and it worked great! For about two months. Then the switches were gooey and slow and either wouldn't stay in, or wouldn't come out. I hosed them out with WD-40 again and it fixed it again...for another two months.

When I opened it up, it looks like WD-40 leaves behind like an oil or something, and the oil gets all dirty and scummy and sticky. That makes the switches all start sticking again.

So I went looking for the CRC stuff you mentioned but I couldn't find it, but I did find it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-5103-Quick-El ... ingdocs-20

This stuff works perfect: It flushed out the goo that the WD-40 left behind, and freed up the switches.

It looks like the latching mechanism that works the push on/push off comes covered from the factory with this yellow grease. After a while the grease hardens up, and the latching mechanism sticks, and that's why the switches stick. When you flush it out with the cleaner, it gets rid of the grease, and that makes the switches work again.

jamie f
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 GS 850L,,wife's bike, 1981 GS1100E,sold,,Latest addition 1994 GL 1500 Aspencade.

Post by jamie f » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:30 pm

I just bought a 94 1500 and have the sticky switch syndrome.Cruise sticks on and also the turn signals act up.Sometimes the right works fine and the left wont stay flashing,sometimes its the opposite.Kind of hoping not to have to take apart,so I'm getting some electronic cleaner tomorrow to see if this takes care of it.Other than that,looking forward to getting out and riding this spring.

stinkysock
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 SE

Post by stinkysock » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:39 pm

On my 95 1500, I opened up the 4-way flasher switch & cleaned out the stiff "wax" that disables the little follower/lock wire and put silicone grease in the path/groove that that little wire runs in. Carefully reassembled. No trouble in seven years.

Honda chose to use a grease that dries out and becomes nearly a solid. WD-40 may or may not blow out enough of this wax from the little Y channel that the lock-on, lock off wire runs in. WD-40 will also evaporate a lot leaving the grease to re-harden with time. Thus the two month failure mentioned above. I fixed it ONCE, carefully opening the case and using silicone grease to replace Honda's grease/wax.

BEWARE !!! Open these little switch cases carefully! - There are little springs in them all (turn signal switches as well) that will go into orbit if you let them loose. If your garage is like mine they are gone forever.

Stinkysock

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:54 am

stinkysock wrote:BEWARE !!! Open these little switch cases carefully! - There are little springs in them all (turn signal switches as well) that will go into orbit if you let them loose. If your garage is like mine they are gone forever.
Get a large clear Ziploc bag, put the switch and your hands into it when opening the switch case. That way if a spring launches itself, it gets caught inside the plastic bag instead of launching into the nether regions of your garage.

luck
Motorcycle: 1993 aspencade gl 1500 ( for sale )sold
2002 gl 1800 trike

Post by luck » Wed May 04, 2016 1:48 pm

WINGADMIN:
Update for WD40---You are right about WD40 i did my reverse switch last year and this year it was stuck again , so i did them again your way and since it is working perfectly .REF from how to lubricate reverse switch, important they have to be cleaned not lubricated. Luc

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 04, 2016 3:02 pm

My bar switches started sticking again. Last time was 4 years ago.
I've done this on my other bikes and never had a problem of short circuits or fire.
Quick, EZ, no removal or disassemble.
Any nut buster lube will work, I use Liquid Wrench as did my dad in the 1960's. Well proven stuff.
Can of Electric Cleaner [EC], air compressor [AC] and Liquid Wrench [LW].
As long as nothing is broke in the switches...
1.) COVER THE BIKE, this gets messy.
2.) EC the switch housing and press all switches then AC immediately. Repeat at 3 times from different directions.
3.) AC from different directions to dry out. Check switches are moving, tho they will be stiff.
4.) LW and press switches while doing short bursts of AC. Repeat LW and AC in different angles.
Clean up and ride!
EZ NUFF? :roll:

Only way this be EZ'r is have someone else do it.
I think this repair is called, "Mechanic in a Can".
8-)

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

hotrod1
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by hotrod1 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:07 pm

HI, just wanted to say a big thank you for this post. It was a tremendous help with a problem i was having with my 81 gl1100 interstate start/kill switch. I watched another very helpful video on taking switch apart on the 1100 diy sight, however when it came to doing it i ran into the snag of unhooking throttle cables with the switch still on the bike. I was at a loss and started going thru the sight to find out what to do and came across this article. I ended up just splitting the two halves as much as i could with cables still hooked up and sprayed and sprayed some more contact cleaner in. Was getting worried it didn't work cause it still wasn't starting and i didn't want to keep having to use a screwdriver for starting it. I shorted it out to start it to make sure i hadn't screwed something up and it went. Then had a brain wave number one and used the kill switch to shut off. Then had brain wave number two and tried to start it off the button and to my surprise it worked! And it also seems to have cured another problem at the same time, my headlight now works which i was having a pile of trouble with before. And all of this success without having to rip my start kill switch apart!! Something i wasn't looking forward to on my front lawn especially with all the small parts that are easy to lose in the grass. So thank you for your very helpful and life saving article!!

Ricky3009
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by Ricky3009 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:17 pm

This is truly a magnificent site which has helped me freeing all of my switches but I did experience the hazard flashers sticking.
When I followed procedure to clear it all was well but the switch does not stay in place and so I need to continually hold it on; has it died and needs replacing or is there a fix?
Be safe out there y'all.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu May 26, 2016 7:27 pm

hotrod1 wrote:HI, just wanted to say a big thank you for this post. It was a tremendous help with a problem i was having with my 81 gl1100 interstate start/kill switch.
awwwww..... we all here try to do our WURST but seems to come out Sausage.
OK fine, here's the barf bag... []

Glad someone helped you out. 'Keeps our Wings.. flying.. on the ground'. (to borrow a LIL Willie N.)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun May 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Ricky3009 wrote:This is truly a magnificent site which has helped me freeing all of my switches but I did experience the hazard flashers sticking.
When I followed procedure to clear it all was well but the switch does not stay in place and so I need to continually hold it on; has it died and needs replacing or is there a fix?
Be safe out there y'all.
It depends what's causing it. If there is grease/gunk inside the switch that is keeping the little plastic piece from moving and changing from latch out to latch in, then cleaning the grease out will fix it. If it has been FORCED (i.e. forcibly pulled out when it was stuck in) then chances are that tiny plastic piece is broken, and the switch will need to be replaced.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun May 29, 2016 9:43 pm

WingAdmin wrote: If it has been FORCED (i.e. forcibly pulled out when it was stuck in) then chances are that tiny plastic piece is broken, and the switch will need to be replaced.
:o You mean a magic pen spring or the seemingly infinite use of Bobby-Pins won't fix it?
MAAAaannn, where's MacGyver.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:46 pm

Hey, never underestimate the use of ballpoint pen springs! I recently used 3 of 'em to fix the sprag clutch on my buddy's (well, his grand son's) mini-quad. Worked perfectly!

The Bus Driver
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda F6B

Post by The Bus Driver » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:13 am

ok I read all the posts about sticking switches,but has anyone tried this on the push button switch that doubles as the start/reverse switch? This switch has been giving me problems.does anyone know if this switch gets dirty or corroded like the others? When attempting to start the bike I will push this switch and I see the lights go out,but the bike dosent start.I have posted about this problem before,and was told to take It apart and spray contact cleaner in then blow it out with air.I did take the switch apart but the cruise control set/decal button is sitting right on top of the starter switch.is there anywhere I can go to see an exploded view of the handgrip to see how to get to the starter switch?..Thanks,Tony--

jamie f
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 GS 850L,,wife's bike, 1981 GS1100E,sold,,Latest addition 1994 GL 1500 Aspencade.

Post by jamie f » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:38 pm

I just had a similar problem with the start / reverse switch. We were out for a ride and drove down a dead end to get a lake picture. Used reverse to turn around and got back on the road. Pretty soon people were flashing there lights at me. Stopped and checked over bike,no headlights. Brang it home,doused the switch with electric cleaner,vigorisly worked switch quite a few times,sprayed again and switch freed up nice. Problem solved. Apparently,when that switch is engaged,it cuts power to headlights to minimize electrical draw while starting or using reverse. I plan on completely disassembling and cleaning all the switches this winter.

Ricky3009
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by Ricky3009 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Ricky3009 wrote:This is truly a magnificent site which has helped me freeing all of my switches but I did experience the hazard flashers sticking.
Be safe out there y'all.
It depends what's causing it. If there is grease/gunk inside the switch that is keeping the little plastic piece from moving and changing from latch out to latch in, then cleaning the grease out will fix it. If it has been FORCED (i.e. forcibly pulled out when it was stuck in) then chances are that tiny plastic piece is broken, and the switch will need to be replaced.
So I've dismantled the switch, caught and cleaned the little springs, lubed everything before reassembly but continue to have a 'small' problem with the turn signals but unable to work out the hazard as it's not sticking but unable to stay in........
Trying to find a replacement is a nightmare as it appears these are discontinued; please help this poor and distressed rider.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Ricky3009 wrote: Trying to find a replacement is a nightmare as it appears these are discontinued; please help this poor and distressed rider.
Radio Shack, maybe the guts will fit?
https://www.radioshack.com/products/pushon-pushoff-sw

Replace the switch with a ON/OFF Toggle or Paddle?
Lastly, a rotary ON/OFF but should be lighted in ON position.

txblueknight
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100, 2000 gl 1500 Aspencade

Post by txblueknight » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I have a 2000 gl 1500 A with stuck on mute button, if the spray doesn't work, is there an easy way to just bypass the mute button altogether? The volume knob is right in front, so it seems easy to turn it down when needed, thanks all for any help.

txblueknight

Post by txblueknight » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Ok Gurus, I was able to free up the mute button, but the volume is still really low (you can't hear the radio with engine running), any thoughts? Could the volume knob need contact cleaner, too? Thx for any help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:19 am

txblueknight wrote:Ok Gurus, I was able to free up the mute button, but the volume is still really low (you can't hear the radio with engine running), any thoughts? Could the volume knob need contact cleaner, too? Thx for any help.
It might be stuck on? I would try actually disassembling the mute button itself. Worst case, just cut one of its wires, which will permanently disable it.

txblueknight

Post by txblueknight » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:11 am

Ok, thank you sir, I really appreciate it

Defender
Motorcycle: 2006 Concours
2002 Gl1800

Post by Defender » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:30 am

Hi all, I'm new to my 2002 gl1800. I have some sticky switches, thanks for the fix info. My main concern is the radio. The headphones work fine, the speakers remain silent. I have navigated all the usual steps with no success. The guy I bought it from couldn't help, said they worked fine. I need help, please.