Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

How to replace your front position light bulbs

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Replacing a burned-out position bulb is relatively easy on the GL1500. These bulbs are simple wedge bulbs, the same as are used in the many reflectors and running lights all over the GL1500. I chose to replace my position lights with LEDs, to avoid having to ever replace a burned out bulb again, and to provide a brighter light shining out the front. The LED lights I used are WLED-WHP13-T lights from SuperbrightLEDs.com:

I recommend you replace both bulbs if one has burned out - if one has burned out, the other usually won't be far behind.

1. Raise the windshield adjuster levers on either side to the up position.

2. Start to peel the rubber lip away from the mirror cover, beginning at the back and working upward.

3. Continue peeling the rubber lip away from the plastic mirror cover all the way around until it is completely detached. Take note that at the bottom rear, the rubber must be pulled toward the rear of the bike in order to detach it - this should be done after all of the rest of the rubber has been detached.

4. Gently pull the bottom of the mirror cover to unclip it from the fairing.

5. While holding the rubber back, pull the mirror cover free of the fairing, and let it drop down.

6. Expose and remove the two screws holding the chrome windshield trim in place (as shown). On 1994 and earlier Goldwings, remove the two screws holding the black plastic trim (below the windshield trim) in place and remove the black plastic trim.

7. Remove the two screws holding the windshield trim.

8. Slide the windshield trim to the right to unhook the lower tabs, then lift it away from the windshield.

9. Remove the screw holding the turn signal assembly in the fairing. It's not necessary to remove the turn signals, but it makes it a lot easier to maneuver the headlight in and out, and I recommend you do so.

10. Gently remove the turn signal from the fairing. There is enough wire behind it that you can let it dangle down if need be. Remove the other turn signal the same way.

11. Remove the two screws fastening the grill below the headlight.

12. Remove the grill from below the headlight.

13. Using a 10mm socket, remove the two bolts holding the top of the headlight. On later model GL1500's, these bolts also hold the bracket in place that fastens the bottom end of the windshield trim - pull this bracket away when you remove the bolts.

14. Using a 10mm socket, remove the two bolts holding the bottom of the headlight. Careful - these are the only things left holding the headlight in place! Use your hand to hold the headlight in the fairing as you remove the last bolt. Note that the bolts have a threaded hole tapped in their heads - these are where the screws fasten for the lower trim.

15. Gently pull the headlight away from the fairing. It will still be fastened by the wire in behind.

16. At this point, you will hear pieces falling down behind the headlight. Don't panic - there are four metal spacers that go into the holes in the fairing where the headlight bolts fasten. They will fall out. You can see one of them here.

17. Here is an example of where the upper spacers fit in the fairing. Collect the four spacers for now and put them aside.

18. Find the wiring connector on the back of the headlight, and press down on the locking tab on the connector. This procedure can be done leaving the headlight connected, however it makes it more difficult, and increase the chance that you may scratch or damage the headlight lens.

19. Gently pull the connector apart. This will free the headlight so that it can be removed from the fairing. Set the headlight down on a soft surface to avoid scratching the lens.

20. Now that the headlight is removed, you can see where the lower spacers fit into the fairing. Remember to collect them now so they don't get lost! Reinstalling the headlight without them will result in a mis-aimed headlight.

21. Grasp the position light socket and rotate it counter-clockwise (left) until it unlocks.

22. Pull the socket free of the headlight assembly.

23. Remove the bulb from the socket. It has likely been there for some time, and make take some wiggling and work to get it free.

24. Insert your replacement bulb. In my case, I inserted my replacement LED bulb.

25. Some LED bulbs are polarity sensitive, and will not operate if they are inserted backward. For this reason, I temporarily plugged the headlight connector back into the harness and turned the power on to ensure that the LED lit up. If it hadn't, I would have pulled it out, rotated it 180 degrees, and reinserted the LED into the socket.

26. Insert the socket into the headlight assembly and turn it clockwise (right) until it locks in place.

27. Insert the four headlight mounting spacers into their upper and lower holes in the fairing as shown.

28. Reconnect the headlight connector to the headlight, making sure the locking tab snaps into place.

29. Tuck the wiring neatly behind the headlight, and gently push the headlight into place, so as to not dislodge the spacers. You will have to push the headlight and hold it in place against the spring tension of the headlight adjuster.

30. Insert and tighten the lower headlight bolts with a 10mm socket. Remember these bolts are the ones with the tapped screw holes in their heads.

31. Insert and tighten the upper headlight bolts with a 10mm socket. Remember to install the windshield trim bracket as well if your GL1500 uses one.

32. Now is the time to test things before buttoning everything back up. Turn the ignition to ON, and check that your headlight comes on normally. You can see the bluish tinge from the LEDs I installed.

33. Replace the trim below the headlight and screw it in place.

34. Replace the turn signals and screw them into place. Be careful not to over-torque the screw, as the plastic of the turn signal will crack.

35. Engage the fairing tabs in the slots in the windshield fairing, and slide the windshield fairing to the left to lock it in place.

36. Replace and tighten the screws holding the windshield fairing in place. If working on a 94 or earlier GL1500, replace the black plastic trim and the two screws holding it in place.

37. Holding the rubber back on each mirror, slide each mirror cover back into place.

38. Once in place, gently push each of the mirror cover clips until it latches onto the fairing.

39. Hook the rubber over the rear of the mirror cover, then work the lip around the circumference.

40. Once the rubber lip is around the circumference, push the locking tabs into their slots.

41. Lower the windshield locking levers into their locked positions.

Trainertim77
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1986 GL1200

Re: How to replace your front position light bulbs

Postby Trainertim77 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:50 am

Replaced mine, and the job was completed without any issues. Excellent instructions! :D

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 am

Just got my LED bulbs from eBay, am going to do this job today. Following these excellent instructions :D

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:03 am

I should really do this since I have the light out...

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm

This went as smooth as silk!
I even had some extra LED's and I put them on the front sidemarker lights also.
I bought 10 lights for 9.99 with free shipping off of eBay for this "job"
O'Rielly Auto Parts wanted something like 6.99 a bulb. I thought I could do better online, and yes you CAN do better
$$ wise. :mrgreen:

wingrooky63
Motorcycle: 1998 gl1500se aspencade

Postby wingrooky63 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Think now is a good time to do mine to. I have one side burnt out already. Outstanding instructions. Will let ya know how it turns out.

OlsonBW
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Postby OlsonBW » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Okay, maybe I'm a little dense. Which lights are the "front position" lights. Are they the two headlights or the smaller lights just to the outside of the headlights. If it is the latter, maybe it's my eyes but they don't look lit up to me.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:50 am

OlsonBW wrote:Okay, maybe I'm a little dense. Which lights are the "front position" lights. Are they the two headlights or the smaller lights just to the outside of the headlights. If it is the latter, maybe it's my eyes but they don't look lit up to me.

That's correct. If they aren't lit up, chances are they are burned out. Because it is a bit of a process getting to them (as detailed by this article), you might want to think about replacing them with long-lived LEDs.

OlsonBW

Postby OlsonBW » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:57 am

WingAdmin wrote:
OlsonBW wrote:Okay, maybe I'm a little dense. Which lights are the "front position" lights. Are they the two headlights or the smaller lights just to the outside of the headlights. If it is the latter, maybe it's my eyes but they don't look lit up to me.

That's correct. If they aren't lit up, chances are they are burned out. Because it is a bit of a process getting to them (as detailed by this article), you might want to think about replacing them with long-lived LEDs.

I meant in the picture in the instructions. The two outer lights don't look lit up to me. Maybe it's just my eyes. Maybe the headlights next to them are too bright for me to see the outer ones lit up.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:34 pm

OlsonBW wrote:I meant in the picture in the instructions. The two outer lights don't look lit up to me. Maybe it's just my eyes. Maybe the headlights next to them are too bright for me to see the outer ones lit up.

Position Lights
Position Lights

OlsonBW

Postby OlsonBW » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:44 pm

The outer lights don't look lit to me. I guess it is just my eyes. Thank you very much for cleaning up my confusion.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:16 pm

OlsonBW wrote:The outer lights don't look lit to me. I guess it is just my eyes. Thank you very much for cleaning up my confusion.

They are in that picture, they are just lit with a very cool LED color, while the headlights are lit (if I recall) still with halogen bulbs, so they look quite different.

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:29 am

Last month when I installed a dual 55 watt 6000K HID kit I replaced the 194 white position bulbs with a pair of 7 watt Cree projectors, took just a small amount of trimming with an xacto knife to get the projector through but these lights are nearly as bright as headlights them selves.
Now I am converting the 95 from its fresnel style headlamp housing to the 98 SE clear housing, and to do that I am removing the reverse reflectors in the position lamp sections.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:47 am

silverado6x6 wrote:Last month when I installed a dual 55 watt 6000K HID kit I replaced the 194 white position bulbs with a pair of 7 watt Cree projectors, took just a small amount of trimming with an xacto knife to get the projector through but these lights are nearly as bright as headlights them selves.
Now I am converting the 95 from its fresnel style headlamp housing to the 98 SE clear housing, and to do that I am removing the reverse reflectors in the position lamp sections.

Are you opening the headlight to remove those reflectors?

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:08 am

I might try cutting the plastic boss that the holding screw goes through on the back and grabbing the reflector with a curved hemostat. Then filling the part cut off with plastic epoxy. The projector cree 194 is long, has a lens on the front and it may hit that reflector, I want a unique look.

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1980 CB900 Custom (parted and sold)
1988 GL1500 (dark side 175/75-16)
Pull-behind trailer (my design)

Postby GoldWingRev » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:38 pm

WindAdmin, what about the actually headlights? I know it's illegal to use LEDs for them, but I don't know enough about lights to figure out which is brighter, the stock, the HID.... Any recommendations there?
And did you replace your turn signals with amber LEDs?
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:42 pm

GoldWingRev wrote:WindAdmin, what about the actually headlights? I know it's illegal to use LEDs for them, but I don't know enough about lights to figure out which is brighter, the stock, the HID.... Any recommendations there?

I replaced my headlight bulbs with HIDs, as detailed here: GoldwingHID HID headlight kit

Triple the light output, at just over half the power draw. And yes, my turn signals are amber LEDs.

OlsonBW

Postby OlsonBW » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:49 am

GoldWingRev wrote:WindAdmin, what about the actually headlights? I know it's illegal to use LEDs for them, but I don't know enough about lights to figure out which is brighter, the stock, the HID.... Any recommendations there?

Are you SURE that it's illegal to use LEDs for headlights. Aren't Audi and other premium car companies using LEDs for headlights now? If yes, why not GoldWings and other motorcycles.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:13 pm

OlsonBW wrote:Are you SURE that it's illegal to use LEDs for headlights. Aren't Audi and other premium car companies using LEDs for headlights now? If yes, why not GoldWings and other motorcycles.

The car manufacturers are designing headlights that are using LED's. Not illegal if the car has been manufactured with approved LED headlight units.

Where it gets illegal is in the retrofit market which is huge. Applies to HID's, LED's and lots of other stuff.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

OlsonBW

Postby OlsonBW » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:22 pm

cbx4evr wrote:
OlsonBW wrote:Are you SURE that it's illegal to use LEDs for headlights. Aren't Audi and other premium car companies using LEDs for headlights now? If yes, why not GoldWings and other motorcycles.

The car manufacturers are designing headlights that are using LED's. Not illegal if the car has been manufactured with approved LED headlight units.

Where it gets illegal is in the retrofit market which is huge. Applies to HID's, LED's and lots of other stuff.

So LED headlights are no more illegal than HIDs?

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 pm

When I bought my 2002 Silverado 3500 dually I immediately replaced the stock headlight housings with aftermarket projector housings.With HID.
And then I removed the emblems from the front and bought off Ebay some very nicely done "Limited Edition" emblems, they actually look like GM logos.
And to this day people still ask where they can buy a "Limited Edition" Silverado..... :D

Even a state trooper asked me about that, I told him it was a special order that used Escalade headlights, outside mirrors with auto tint and the Escalade instrument panel.

Which I had bought and installed from Ebay, but they need not know that, as far as they were concerned it came with a special factory option.

So my Aspencade may not evolve into an SE, but instead a "Limited Special Edition" :lol:

kiwidane
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500SE

Postby kiwidane » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:20 am

Hi guys. I've just gone to superbrights to look for the WLED-xHP13-T. They have discontinued the ultra white but offered alternatives. They are
WLED-xHP15-TAC and the WLED-W19-T. I have a '99 Honda GL1500SE. Would the alternative bulbs still fit as position bulbs.

Many Thanks

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:29 am

I may have already posted this but here it goes again, those reflectors in the clear 98 position lamp housing were very easy to remove, I just got a good bite on the edge with a pair of needle nose pliers and started rocking like I was a dentist pulling a tooth, the stem is plastic, it broke off flush at the base on both of them and they both were able to drop out of the headlight through the main lamp housing. I did have to trim the locking lugs down a little bit but did not remove them, the 7 watt Cree projector LED slid right on through and the stock 194 rubber plug locked in place, I could not be any happier with the result, each lamp itself serves nearly as bright as a headlight.

2 x White Car LED T15/T10/194 7W Cree Q5 Single Filament Light Bulb Lamp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321210362544?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

kiwidane
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500SE

Postby kiwidane » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:56 am

Cheers silverado6x6 much appreciated. Will give that ago :)

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Having a hard time with mine. My 1990 fittings going into the back of the housing are not the twist and lock type. I don't know if they just pull out. Rubber fitting that just spins in circles. I don't want to rip it out of it's casing and ruin everything. I replaced the headlights with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra and they appear to be brighter won't know till I go down the road. I figured I would do the position bulbs while I had it out. Any suggestions?

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”