How to replace your cornering light bulbs

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
Magerton
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Re: How to replace your cornering light bulbs

Post by Magerton » Sun May 07, 2017 11:48 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Note: The H3-WHP9 LED listed here from SuperbrightLEDs.com has been discontinued - in its place, you can use any H3 replacement LED bulb. However, there is now a better option: Cyclemax now offers a 50-watt-equivalent LED specifically for the GL1500 cornering lights that is a direct replacement for the OEM bulb - no cutting of wires, no retrofitting.

New to the site. Just received a 96 GL1500SE from my kind hearted Pops! Bike became a little heavy for him, so he has ended up with a 750 Shadow. My question on these new plug-n-play Led replacements for the cornering lights is this. When you replace them, will they burn when the bike is on without the turn signals activated? Just purchased 2 of the LEDs, but would like them to burn all the time for extra visibility. Thanks for any help.
This a great site, I have already replaced the headlights with Socalmotorgears LEDs, and replaced the old windshield. Now trying to talk myself into replacing the timing belts.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sun May 07, 2017 3:20 pm

I found mine on Ebay for about $10.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142152379730?rmvSB=true
Don't know if they are as bright as the $50 ones, but they
sure seem bright to me. Definitely brighter than the
halogen bulbs that were in there.
I only had to cut and solder one wire, as shown in
WingAdmin's post.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Magerton

Post by Magerton » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:29 am

Still looking for that relay,
Hate to bug you again on this subject! I'm sure everyones tired of every new person asking the same questions. I hooked the lights up and they work when the signals are on. Not sure where this relay is people are talking about to cut the green wire to. I took a couple pf pics, but with all the tape on the wires, I honestly do not even know where to begin. I'm going to try and add a couple of pics, can someone look at them and possibly head me in the right direction. When I take the fairing off that contains the light, I see two relays immediately, but cant tell what colour wires are connected to them.
Thanks for any help
Mike

Well apparently I don't know how to add a photo either. Maybe somethings telling me to leave it alone and let them work they way they do.....

Magerton

Post by Magerton » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 am

I seen where one person was saying on some models that both of the relays that needed the green wire cut was on the SAME side. When I took the fairing off I seen two relays, to the right of the hanging turn signal.. Does anyone know if these are the relays I need to cut the green wire from? I'm still having problems loading a pic, just cant seem to get it down. I know its operator error!

Finally got it! Ok, if you look to the right of the turn signal, there is the connector for the cornering light. Above that connector (and again to the right of the turn signal) there are two relays. This is where I think I need to cut the green wires. I haven't taken the other side off to see if there are relays on that side. If these are the relays, did anyone splice any type of bullet connector or anything on in case you wanted to change it back? Or was the green line just cut. Thanks for any help!
Mike

Magerton

Post by Magerton » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:49 pm

OK! So I went down to the barn and looked at it again. Decided to unplug one of the relays and see if the cornering light would work when the turn signal was turned on. It did not. So I proceeded to cut said green wire, while crossing my fingers! When I plugged the relay back in and turned the switch on, the cornering light came on! So on the picture I posted earlier, both of the relays that you can see are the ones that need the green wire cut. I decided to cut them mid ways back a little, and crimp on some push on connectors. Later, if I want to change them back all I have to do is plug the wires back together. Oh, and sorry if I confused anyone talking about turn signal on the picture. I believe that is just a marking light hanging there...

Whopper Stopper
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing SE

Post by Whopper Stopper » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Hello!
I just wanted to Thank WingAdmin for the excellent DIY articles he has posted on his excellent site. I had both cornering lights burn out, one last fall and then one this spring. I did some researching and basically came across Goldwing Docs and hit the lottery. I ordered two bulbs from Cyclemax for my 99 Goldwing se, and while waiting decided to replace my gas filter and air filter. I bought my bike brand new and any maintenance had always been done at the dealer. To start unbuckling all the plastic on my Wing was a little un-nerving to say the least.

I wish I would have delayed the filter changes a day or so, because I went to the dealer and bought both filters the same day I ordered the LED bulbs from Cyclemax. Had I did a little more reading I could have ordered the filters on line and saved $30 or so. I am not by any means a handyman but I do tinker pretty fair. I just took my time and followed WingAdmin's excellent directions and in just under 3 hours I had everything changed and put back together. The gas filter looked pretty rough and the air cleaner had bird seed, shelled corn, and mouse poison in it. I couldn't believe how much cooler it ran and how much more pep the bike had. I really can't say if either one had ever been changed, although the bike only has 18,000 miles on it.

Today I had off from work and being the bulbs were waiting on my bench I decided the time was right. I have a handheld device and just followed the excellent instructions within the article. It took 1 hour for me to have everything changed and back together.I did have one problem and hopefully someone can help.

When the time came to remove the lower cowl screw covers, I had no problem with the right one. When I was doing the left side sure enough the tab snapped off. I looked hard for it but the little bugger is gone. Does anyone know where I could start looking for one?

I couldn't believe how easy is was to do both jobs following the instructions. To have something like that one tab break was a real kick in the ego. Thanks again and hopefully someone can help with me finding the little screw head cover.

WS

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Whopper Stopper wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 pm
I couldn't believe how easy is was to do both jobs following the instructions. To have something like that one tab break was a real kick in the ego. Thanks again and hopefully someone can help with me finding the little screw head cover!
Those things are a pain. The left side part number is 64296-MT2-000 and the right side is 64286-MT2-000. You can get them from the OEM site on Cyclemax, the price will range from $7 to $30 depending on the color. :(

Whopper Stopper
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing SE

Post by Whopper Stopper » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:11 am

Thank you for your help, Again!

WS