Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Rudy's GL1500 "Keeper" products

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Honda Goldwings have been covered with various detachable plastic bits since the GL1100. The GL1100 had side covers, pannier (saddlebag) covers, and more. The GL1500 has many, many more. Most of these pieces are held in place with pegs (or "bosses") which insert into rubber grommets. The elasticity of the rubber grommets holds the panels in place, and protects them from vibration. For the most part, it's a good system that works.

However, the rubber grommets do harden and dry out with age, and their elasticity declines. Eventually they become loose, and the panels are not held in place as well as they once were. A hard bump in the road can be just enough to set the panel free, and it goes flying down the road. It's indeed a painful realization to find out that a replacement for that little piece of plastic is going to run you in the hundreds of dollars.

Rudy's "keeper" products are cheap insurance against panel loss. I have had Rudy's Panel Keepers protecting my GL1100's side panels for some time now, and his fantastic Lidkeepers for my GL1100 pannier lids have made life with lids so much easier. They connect your panels to your bike to prevent loss, but allow them to be removed for cleaning or service as required.

With my GL1500, I knew I would be utilizing Rudy's products once again, so I ordered the GL1500 "Full Bike Kit" from Rudy's Web Store. He carries quite a few products for the GL1500:

The full bike kit for the GL1500 consists of a DoorKeeper kit, a FenderKeeper kit, a PanelKeeper kit, and a SecondBase kit, each with their own set of instructions:

DoorKeeper Kit

I started out with the DoorKeeper kit. The DoorKeeper kit bonds the "cubby" doors on either side of the passenger seat, to prevent their loss. It consists of two small ABS pads connected with a strong, flat nylon cord, surfaced with an extremely powerful adhesive.

Surface preparation involves cleaning and removing all grease, dirt and oils. For this, isopropyl alcohol is used.

Cleaning the area on the insides of the doors and the cubbies themselves (which admittedly, needed the cleaning) is easily done.

I decided to position one of each pad on the door, and the other pad on the sidewall of the cubby. Don't bond it to the rear of the cubby area, or you will never be able to disassemble the speakers from the trunk!

FenderKeeper Kit

Next, I went with the FenderKeeper kit. This kit is probably the most important of all of them. The plastic fender covers on the GL1500 are held in place with a single grommet - and I was shocked to find that the grommets on my bike were in terrible shape, and my left fender was only waiting for a big bump to depart the bike! FenderKeeper to the rescue! Removing the fender starts by pulling it free of the grommet at the back of the fender on each side.

Next you carefully remove the tabs from the front part of the fender.

Cleaning is done the same way, with isopropyl alcohol.

The pad is stuck to the inside of the fender right next to the boss, or peg.

The other part of the FenderKeeper is a piece of flat nylon cord with a loop in the end. It's wrapped around the fender bracket and passed through the loop as shown.

I ended up wrapping it around twice to take up the slack. The bonded pad is then snapped onto the loop of nylon cord, fastening it in place.

The loop connecting the pad to the connector allows it to slide around enough to maneuver the fender back into place.

The front tabs of the fender are slipped into place.

The back of the fender is then pushed into the grommet, fastening it in place. Be careful not to catch the nylon cord in between anything that will prevent the fender from seating fully.

PanelKeeper Kit

Next I installed the PanelKeeper and Secondbase kits. These kits both fasten the side panel in place to prevent loss and damage should it come free.

These kits require a bit more work and preparation than the other two, but can easily be done in half an hour.

Start by removing the side panels from the bike. Remove the upper forward peg (this peg fits into a grommet in the panel, the reverse of all the other pegs), then the bottom pegs, then pull the top out and away.

Set the panels on a soft surface to avoid damaging the paint. It's important to work out the positions of the adhesive pads beforehand, to ensure they will not interfere with the positioning of the panel when installed.

Once you've determined the position of the pads, outline them with a pen or pencil.

Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol again is important.

Using the markings you outlined, apply regular painters masking tape around the areas to which the pads will be applied. You can see the positions of the pads I selected for my bike.

Starting with coarse 100 grit sandpaper, remove the paint from the areas not masked off.

The painted areas on these panels is not sufficiently strong for these pads - they will just pull the paint off. Therefore we need bare plastic.

Next use some finer sandpaper such as 220 grit, to smooth out the plastic.

I followed this up with 600 grit...

...and then 1500 grit. You can also use 000 steel wool. The plastic must be as smooth as possible in order for the pads to adhere properly.

Removing the masking tape leaves behind just the sanded areas where the pads will adhere.

Clean up any plastic dust or dirt with alcohol once more.

The kit comes with a packet of 3M adhesion promoter. Don't get this noxious stuff on your skin! Spread it evenly over your sanded plastic areas and allow it to dry.

Remove the film from the adhesive pads, position them very carefully (you only get one chance at this!) and press them into place.

Here are my panels with all four pads in place.

The other ends of the cords are wrapped around the bike frame, just like the FenderKeepers. They are then snapped into the adhesive pads.

The now-secure side panels are fit back into the bike. Start by fitting the lip under the seat, then press in the bottom pegs into their grommets, followed by the upper front grommet.

Your GL1500 is now safe and secure against panel loss!

leftyfrazel
Motorcycle: 2009/Silver GL1800 Nav,Comfort/Audio/XM

Re: Rudy's GL1500 "Keeper" products

Postby leftyfrazel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:35 am

Those keeper products are the greatest, I ordered a lot of Rudy's things for my 1500 before I Sold her, trunk reinforcements, keepers, I used his led saddlebag light idea, the new owner is tickled to death with all the improvements I added from Rudy's.... Thanks Rudy for such good products and Ideas.
"what is that, What is this... Who are You"

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Installed the side cover keeper kit that I won here on the monthly draw. Looks like an excellent product. Took longer to prepare the surface than anything else.

I think I may have to consider the door keeper kit as the better half has knocked that one off a couple of times.

Another fine product from Rudy.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

coldcanuk
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby coldcanuk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:33 pm

I have checked Rudy's site and would like to buy a kit, but it says "sold out". Can we get them anywhere else? :?:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:36 am

Rudy is having some health issues, and is currently training someone to manufacture the kits for him. In the meantime, you might find some still in stock at Cyclemax.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:44 am

Ya Cyclemax is still showing them so they have stock.

http://cyclemax.com/gl1500_other
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Jungle Jim
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing SE
03 Suzuki Volusia
04 Honda Reflex

Postby Jungle Jim » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:31 pm

My 98 Goldwing SE is missing one of the grommets that the fairing front cover attaches to.
I noticed it when I was replacing the lower driving lights.
I could not find this part on any of the OEM diagrams for this bike.
Can anyone tell me if these grommets are the same size as the ones that fit the side cover or what the part number would be?
Thanks a lot.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:43 pm

I'm pretty sure they are the same as the round grommets used for the side covers. That said, you'll very likely find it in the "kit" of replacement grommets sold by Cyclemax: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... _set/39582

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:47 pm

I found it on the diagram, and yes, #83601-MN5-000 is the same for the side cover and side under cowl.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Jungle Jim
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing SE
03 Suzuki Volusia
04 Honda Reflex

Postby Jungle Jim » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:56 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate the feedback.

Return to “GL1500 DIY Articles”