How to remove and replace your timing belts

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Re: How to remove and replace your timing belts

Post by TwoTone Trike » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks for a great article. I just bought a 1999 GoldWing Hannigan trike so I have no experience with Goldwings. I've owned and ridden Harleys for the last 3 decades, so I am very adept at working on them. My first Harley ( and still own ) was a 1953 Panhead. Due to a horrific accident (a cager turning in front of me) in 2008 and splitting my pelvis in half, breaking my left femur in two places, and breaking my left hip, I was no longer able to ride on two wheels. I test rode a Harley trike and due to the seat position ( it shoved my crotch so far forward ) I felt like I was riding a tricycle. The Goldwing was so comfortable that I will never ride another Harley. Keep up the good work. I look forward to being a GoldWing Docs member and knowing that I have a place to turn to with very knowledgeable members whenever I need help. Keep the rubber side down! Peace, Tony

Rabbitfoot
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500se

Post by Rabbitfoot » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 pm

OK guys, I'm a newbie to goldwing but a professional "heavy equipment" mechanic. I've built many hot rods and customs. I must say that being new I've read all I can about goldwings. I just bought my first, a 97 with 47,000 miles and was reading about how to install the timing belts. I have an issue I hope someone can help me with. When installing the pulse sensors on the timing cover for the crank it was suggested to use "red" locktite. Red loctite permanently locks bolts and you must use a torch to remove the bolts after it's hardened. Won't you ruin the sensors the next time you remove them? The video below shows disassembly after the use of "blue for vibration" and "red for permanent" installation. Please advise me of the proper procedure because this goes against everything I thought was right. Thanks, Richard

http://videos-loctite.na.henkel-adhesives.com/

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:06 pm

I've used red locktite since the late 60's.
My first time using it I poured it 100% on the threads. Never got that bolt out normally, it was a drill & retap. :oops:

Since then I put it on sparingly on the last couple threads (under the bolt head). Whatever squeezes out I leave 'as is' to dry. It's a tell-tale reminder it's there and I need to use a hammer to crack it before turning the bolt/screw.
As you already know Locktite just keeps the bolt/screw from vibrating out.

Another trick I use is no thread locking fluid at all. I'll take a vise grip and goober up the last couple threads under the bolt/screw head. Works like a lock washer and since the last thread in the hole could be deformed, I can thread chase it clean. This process is a bit risky since it can damage the whole screw/bolts threads.

Locktite is a must on HD's (but not so much on GoldWings). It's f-f-for ob-ob-obvious re-re-reasons-ns-ns. :P

OH, just remembered.
When I was a Lil-pip-squeak (circa 1950's) just learning about nuts & bolts, this old farmer showed me his trick. Wind sewing thread on the last few threads (under the bolt/screw head). It binds the last thread. This could help seal out moisture.
Take a gander at some old tractors at state/county fairs, you might see some thread hanging out.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:47 pm

I've been using the sewing-thread-as-thread-locker trick for decades. It works great, dampens vibration at the fastener (so helps to stop loosening in the first place), is always available (everything I own has a loose thread or two...even my brain, according to my wife :lol: ), and is...free!! Even fasteners I used it on 40 years ago are still holding, yet break loose nicely with a wrench.

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Wow, what a simple yet effective way of doing it. I'll have to remember that the next time. That's what I love about this site. The wealth of knowledge here is unbelievable. My hat's off to all that contribute. Have a great day, Tony

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:24 am

TwoTone Trike wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 pm
Wow, what a simple yet effective way of doing it. I'll have to remember that the next time. That's what I love about this site. The wealth of knowledge here is unbelievable. My hat's off to all that contribute. Have a great day, Tony
You're welcome, FROM ALL OF US. (i think I can safely say that :? )

['Green Acres' tv show, Hank Kimball] "This is a little off track, well, OFF ONE of the two tracks. Or maybe it bounced off the track then right back on..." [Oliver] "Mr Kimball, your point?" :D
Kids today don't want to or are not learning history and simply DON'T care what us older generation has to say. So ALL this little tid-bits of knowledge will soon become extinct. :|
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

William Hopgood
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500/6

Post by William Hopgood » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 pm

stupid question but will this belt be same size for an 1988 gl1500?

TwoTone Trike

Post by TwoTone Trike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:20 pm

As far as I know it should. When you go to order it the description should list the years it will fit. Hope this helps.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:06 pm

All years of GL1500, from 1988 through 2000, used the same size timing belts.

William Hopgood
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500/6

Post by William Hopgood » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:54 pm

sorry took so long for reply i ended up with a napa belt had to wait for honda for idler pullys i fixed on prob then got new one LOL shes an old wing but i love her