Bluetoothing a GL1800

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1800
  • Sponsored Links
ajcowz
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Deluxe

Bluetoothing a GL1800

Post by ajcowz » Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 am

I've posted this on a few other forums too so I'm making sure nobody loses out out.

The topic of communications on, and between, motorcycles is one that draws some very strong opinions. It’s also a subject that one seems to have to wade through an enormous amount of information and mis-information before you can make the right decision for you.

I know because I’m speaking from experience. I purchased a 2010 GL1800 Luxury model (ABS, airbag, GPS etc.) early last year (2011).
As a Goldwing owner you’ll likely start with something that will enable you to enjoy the audio system on the Wing plus communicate with your pillion passenger.

The most obvious and easiest path to follow is the one where you purchase some wired headsets and cables and setup a couple of wired helmets. There’s a good choice of manufacturers, products and a range of prices & quality. I did my research and purchased two J&M 279 Deluxe Performance Series Headsets (US$145) + P-Style Lower Headset Cords (US$25) from Wingstuff.com. I’ve had them almost a year now and I cannot fault the quality although I think they are pricey for what is essentially a bunch of cables and a couple of speakers. Add international shipping to Australia and they become even pricier.

Things start to get complicated when you own an iPhone / iPod device and realise that you can’t skip tracks or control the device when it’s plugged into the AUX port and stored in the left console pocket. At this stage, if you’re an iPhone owner you’re probably also thinking about receiving and making phone calls while on riding on your Wing. Again, I did my research, and given my experience with J&M headsets I decided to purchase the J&M GL 1800 Bluetooth Cell, GPS, MP3 Music Player, iPod (US$250) from Wingstuff. This replaced my CD Stacker and provides a dock cable to charge my phone while on my Goldwing. I added a RAM Mount and iPhone cradle to my left handlebar to hold the iPhone. It was only after purchasing the J&M Bluetooth unit did I really understand that the J&M GL 1800 Bluetooth Cell, GPS, MP3 Music Player is proprietary and doesn’t pair with everything as you would hope – for example it will not pair with a TomTom Rider GPS device but it will pair with a Garmin Zumo.

Ok, this is our first pause on what is going to turn into War and Peace. At this point, I’m up and running, have rider/pillion communications, can control my iPhone using my handlebar controls and can make/receive telephone calls. I am actually a very happy Winger, I like the J&M product and I get to enjoy all the features of my Wing. What more can I want you are thinking?

Which leads perfectly to let’s talk about bike to bike communications. So, as a Goldwing owner you’re thinking it’s easy, buy a CB radio and off you go. Well, wrong actually, that only works if you are in the USA and/or you’re willing to purchase a US spec CB radio and use it on a Goldwing in another country (e.g. Australia) to communicate with like-minded ‘Goldwingers’ with an identical setup.
In my case, my mate doesn’t ride a Goldwing so this is a big sticking point. He uses SENA SMH10 Bluetooth headsets (there are other manufacturers but SENA seem to have a quality product with plenty of options) for rider to pillion and also rider to rider (when he rides with his son in law).

The simple solution for me is to purchase the same SENA SMH10 headsets but I’ve grown to love my Goldwing and all the wonderful features – if only it had Bluetooth.

Ok, another pause.

There’s another complication in all of this in that, my Goldwing has a Honda Navigation system. If you look at the forums and read the reviews it is essentially a piece of average kit and what’s worse, keeping it updated means you either print money and fork out close of $200 for updates or you have the resources (time and know how, or know someone who has) to hack the Honda Navigation system. Even still, you still don’t have the benefit of regular updates and other features such as speed, stored phone books and the ability to plan a trip on your computer and upload it.

Even though I have the Honda Navigation system, I took the opportunity to purchase a TomTom Urban Rider when my car unit broke so now I have a GPS that I can swap between my car and my Goldwing. It’s a far easier to use too. But (you seen this coming) it requires a Bluetooth headset to pair with.

Funny that – we’re back to Bluetooth again. Given the fact that Bluetooth technology is well and truly proven and practically included in most electronic devices these days I decided to go back to basics and take a fresh approach to my Goldwing communications solution.

Firstly I could purchase J&M Bluetooth headsets, and the J&M dongle and wiring to convert my existing Goldwing to Bluetooth. Using Wingstuff pricing, I calculate this as being:
(a) 2 x J&M Bluetooth headsets @ $US$250each
(b) 1 x J&M Bluetooth Hub Dongle 06 @ $US450
(c) 1 x J&M Hub Dongle 06 Connection harness $ US$200

So, that’s a whopping US$1,150 and based on my experience, this is proprietary. I assume it will only pair with J&M Bluetooth headsets and there’s the same reference to Garmin Zumo in the installation manual so I’m assuming it won’t pair with a TomTom either. Regardless, it $1,150 we’re taking about.

I’m not prepared to spend $1,150 on technology and a proprietary solution so I decided to take a fresh approach and reverse engineer this.

Forget Goldwings for a moment – what do other motorcyclists do or use and we’re back to something like the SENA headsets which supports a vast range of Bluetooth medial & GPS devices including none other than TomTom Rider and Apple iPhones. A pair of SENA SMH10s will set you back approximately AU$400. Don’t go for the cheaper options because the SENA SMH10 has a 3.5mm AUX input port and that is important.

So, I borrowed my mates SENA SMH10 headsets and decided to dig a little deeper. The end result is what follows.

Starting with the SENA headset and let’s sit our ass on my Goldwing with a pillion passenger.
1. Rider to Pillion communications – use the SENA in intercom mode (will support up to 4 devices in this mode at ranges of up to 900 meters (980 yards for the USA).
2. Rider to Rider (any other bike, not just a Goldwing) – see the previous point and set the SENA to intercom mode.
3. iPhone / iPod – you can pair with the SENA and stream your music. If it’s an iPhone this also enables you to make/receive calls.
4. As for your pillion, he/she can pair their own phone have their own independent source of music (works for my wife and I as she accuses me of have no musical taste). The issue of pairing is an important point that I’ll come back to in a few moments.
5. For Navigation – pair your TomTom Rider or equivalent and hey presto – you’re up and running.

Now I hear a few wise heads saying HANG ON, I don’t have a TomTom, or an iPhone and I want to us my Honda Premium Audio System.

OK go to Wingstuff.com and buy two 5 Pin Din to 3.5mm Headset Adaptor (US$23) manufactured by Electrical Connection and connect to the standard Honda Goldwing audio pig-tails (rider and pillion).

Connect a 3.5mm cable (male at both ends) between the 3.5mm AUX input port on your SENA SMH10 headset and the Honda pigtail and you’ve now got all the benefits of the Honda Premium Audio system EXCEPT the intercom function.

Regarding my earlier point about my pairing, remember I stated I had a J&M GL 1800 Bluetooth Cell, GPS, MP3 Music Player, iPod which connects to my iPhone via a ‘dock cable’ so I switch my Goldwing Audio source to CD. I don't connect the iPhone to the J&M via bluetooth. In this mode, the music is over-ridden by the Honda Navigation instructions and the Bluetooth for telephone also overrides the music.

Using the SENA headset, the iPhone remains connected to the dock cable and the audio output on the iPhone is set to Dock Connector. My iPhone can be paired with the SENA Headset for telephone calls and as such I can listen to music via the Honda Premium CD source (albeit the J&M iPhone interface), have the Honda Navigation over-ride this, make and receive telephone calls via the SENA headset and speak to my pillion.

I can talk to my mate as long as he’s riding within 900m of me and we have connected the SENA headsets in intercom mode.

OK the one downside of this is the fact that I still have a cable between my Goldwing and both headsets – something that really bugs the life out of my wife and also a pain in the ass when mounting / dismounting.

The last piece of the jigsaw puzzle for me is a Bluetooth Transmitter to replace the 3.5mm cable. I’ve found them on eBay ranging from AU$25 to AU$50 and one of them even states it’s SENA compatible. That’s what I’m going to try next once it arrives. My thoughts are to make this a robust solution, the Bluetooth transmitters are going to have to be connected permanently to a 12 power source on the Goldwing – hence a power outlet in the console pocket and in the trunk which I already have.

I’ll let you know how I go.

As an absolute minimum – I’m buying a pair of SENA SMH10 headsets and I’ll buy 1 transmitter and test it for a month or so.

To conclude, moving to Bluetooth on the Goldwing (disregarding the earlier purchase of the J&M iPhone interface) and preserving the functionality of the Honda Premium Audio system and the Honda Navigation system can be achieved using SENA headsets and some extra cabling for as little as $500.

I’m not judging the J&M Bluetooth solution as I don’t own one but I think I’ve come up with a cheaper alternative and solved the problem of bike to bike communications for non-USA Goldwing owners.

BTW I’m also not suggesting I’m the first person to figure this out.
Good Luck
AJ

Information on my WIRED setup:
1. J&M Wired Headsets & Goldwing cable
http://wingstuff.com/products/3828-279- ... context=jm +
http://wingstuff.com/products/3892-p-st ... dset-cords

2. GL 1800 Bluetooth Cell, GPC, MP3 Music Player, iPod
http://wingstuff.com/products/32912-gl1 ... context=jm

3. RAM Goldwing Brake/Clutch Mount (Part# RAM-B-174U) + iPhone cradle(Part# RAM-HOL-AP6U)
http://www.ram-mount.com

Information on my proposed SENA SMH10 Bluetooth setup:
1. SENA SMH10 Bluetooth Intercom Dual Pack
http://www.adventurecamshq.com.au/d24/s ... -dual-pack
2. Pin Din to 3.5mm Headset Adaptor (US$23) manufactured by Electrical Connection

http://wingstuff.com/products/21549-5-p ... m_search=1 )

3. Bluetooth Transmitter (unproven at this stage)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-Tr ... 20c3821ab3

or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-3- ... 415b2d8424
Posted: Wed May 9th, 2012 06:50 pm 2nd Post

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bluetoothing a GL1800

Post by WingAdmin » Wed May 09, 2012 9:09 am

Excellent, I'm going to move this to the 1800 DIY section for those who may want to use it as a reference.

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Post by charliektm400exc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 am

Great post and very interesting.

Only thing I will add for others to use if buying components from scratch is that you can connect iPhone and gps to your Goldwing with the bits from Kennedy technology at http://www.cellset.com/Motorcycleitems.html

I've got their gear fitted to my 1500 and it all works really well together. iPhone, gps, handheld two way radio.

Only problem I found was interpreting all of their diagrams on the site when I was ordering, but I sent them an email explaining what I wanted to do and they sorted it out for me. Their after sales service is brilliant as when all the boxes turned up, I couldn't work out what went where. One email and it was all sorted.

rickity1
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800A

Post by rickity1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Great article - "War & Peace" or not - so thanks. To add another wrinkle, check out Sena's new SM10, a companion bluetooth option for the SMH10. You can connect the Honda Navi and audio AND any other device (ipod, etc.) to this device and they work on your Sen SMH10 bluetooth system. Got to love it.

bubbs
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by bubbs » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:45 am

I read your article with great interest, I tried a similar project with the scala rider headset system. I could hear the radio but there was very little volume. Are you aware if this is a scala problem only.

dheiser4
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by dheiser4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 am

I have been using the SMH10 for a year now and think it's an outstanding product. They notify you when there are firmware updates so you stay current with changes. I have not gone so far as the SM10 yet. I just use the bike audio on speaker when on the road unless I'm listening to mp3s on my android.

Last August I took a 4200 mile trip with a friend through Canada and north central US. He was on a Yamaha Raider which has no comm or audio system. We used the Sena flawlessly the whole trip. We talked when we wanted and listened to music when we wanted. I would recommend that system to anybody looking for Bluetooth.

CaptLen
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800A

Post by CaptLen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks for the article. Just got a 'Wing, and like you I need to communicate with friends who use Bluetooth- in this case Cardo. After reading your article, which was logical, thorough, and well thought out, I checked with Sena, and their SR10 will work with the Cardo Bluetooth.
It's rare to find all the information you need in one place with parts numbers and descriptions.
Thank you again; and as we say here in the USA- Ride Safe!
CaptLen

royK
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 ABS

Post by royK » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:06 am

Fantastic article... thanks for the research and contribution!
Roy
Deerfield, NH

tbrown
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by tbrown » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:17 pm

I have a 2012 Nav, XM.
I use the Nolan 104 with the B4 Pluss kit.
I am able to do the bike to bike, me to passenger and to the iPhone.
You can use your PC lap top or Android phone to make the adjustments to the helmet.I have been using this set up for two years. I am able to talk on the phone and if I am over 70 MPH they do not know I am on my bike.

KennyPete
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by KennyPete » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:23 pm

I have found it to be quite interesting the expense most wing riders endure in the "Bluetoothing" projects mentioned with less than good results. Quite often the expense is simply not equal to the satisfaction and disappointment.
A good friend chose to invest over $600.00 in a Cardo Bluetooth helmet intercomm that was 1- difficult to pair with very limited audio sources and 2- keeping the pairings consistantly reconnecting after the units were turned.
After much debate and procrastintion, he agreed to try the units I had and using for rider - pax intercomm that I purchaced online for $150.00 complete (2 helment installation). These units were 6 channel units (+ interphone) with a 1 km bluetooth range (designed to be rider - pilon to up to 6 other riders (using the same type transceivers). Oddly enough, they work great as a blutooth solution that can be coupled to up to 6 different inputs (GPS, cellphone, xm radio, + anything else that has a Bluetooth trabsmitter.). The only crevat, if you desire to use your GW audio center then you have to invest in a BT transmitter (5 volt unit available on Amazon....$15.00 + build an adapter cable that plugs into the GW helmet headset connector,...<$10.00.
This system works well for me and "the Queen" and our GL1500. And, in addition to the above, if your group riders make the choose to do the same, you can communicate bike to bike as long as you respect the 12 :lol: :lol: 00 meter about 1 mile of one another.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Bluetooth-In ... S_Radio_Co
KennyPete
kennethepeterson@cox.net

Charlie Victor
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800/AN

Post by Charlie Victor » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:54 am

Interesting venture to BlueTooth-enable a Goldwing.
I have been fiddling with intercoms for years, like many of you (Baehr, AutoCom in the wired era, Sena and cheap-ass PRC-stuff lately, lots of DIY cabling and helmet mods for myself and buddies). Only after buying a Goldwing and, like in the old days, scratching the paint with the cable I realised how odd it was I did not right away question being cable-connected on such a bike still...

If you'd allow me to repeat what others way long before me have already stated, given the supposed level of sophistication and a matching price tag one would expect the GL1800 to be "multi-point" wireless. But alas, Honda's marketeers and engineers have probably figured that this was too hard to accomplish, or would raise the final price tag beyond reasonable - or was it simply the marketeers that deemed it fitting to leave yet something else for the future owners to fiddle with? We'll never know, and aren't going to hit them over the head for it, are we?

My 2 cents: given that the GW's integrated audio and communication system actually works (very) well, and (at least the more advanced) BlueTooth headsets are capable of multi-point pairing with a (smart-)phone and give phonecalls priority over audio, what you essentailly need is a BT "bridge" between the GW's headset cable and a BT headset. And not just HiFi stereo bike-to-headset streaming (there's plenty of devices available that do), but with microphone enabled for the "reverse path" headset-to-bike.

I have yet to come across a device that is capable of this...

My first thougt was that this is all pretty standard and already available, such as helmet headsets that are capable of "multi-point" pairing (multiple sources, eventually with one source having priority over another/others). But when I looked at the capability specs for BlueTooth profiles (A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP, ICP) I realised none support microphone *and* stereo...
I then thought: would it be possible to use two BT "channels" concurrently: one to stream the HiFi stereo signal to the helmet (A2DP) and one to stream the microphone signal to the bike (HFP)? Probably yes, but that might need two BT modules for either "channel". That is not going to work with a standard headset... not even with an advanced Sena, I'm afraid.
And how are you going to connect and control the smartphone - suppose you could work with two separate modules, which one handles the smartphone? And practically, how are you going to control all of that while riding (not very safe but we all know we do, right?)

Anyone with ideas or more knowledge in the BlueTooth field: welcome to comment and share your thoughts!

Safe riding!
Cory

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Charlie Victor wrote:I have yet to come across a device that is capable of this...

My first thougt was that this is all pretty standard and already available, such as helmet headsets that are capable of "multi-point" pairing (multiple sources, eventually with one source having priority over another/others). But when I looked at the capability specs for BlueTooth profiles (A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP, ICP) I realised none support microphone *and* stereo...
I then thought: would it be possible to use two BT "channels" concurrently: one to stream the HiFi stereo signal to the helmet (A2DP) and one to stream the microphone signal to the bike (HFP)? Probably yes, but that might need two BT modules for either "channel". That is not going to work with a standard headset... not even with an advanced Sena, I'm afraid.
And how are you going to connect and control the smartphone - suppose you could work with two separate modules, which one handles the smartphone? And practically, how are you going to control all of that while riding (not very safe but we all know we do, right?)
You are correct. When the bluetooth module is streaming stereo (A2DP) to the headset, it cannot also take audio from the headset at the same time. There is a source (the audio source) and a sink (the headset). It is one-direction audio.

HSP, which is the common two-direction hands-free profile used by Bluetooth to link to headsets, is bidirectional, but the signal is monaural, and is limited in bandwith and frequency response. You can't run both profiles at the same time.

It's possible, if the headset had the circuitry and intelligence, for it to detect voice on the microphone, and switch from A2DP to HSP, assuming the base receiver also had that same intelligence - but you'd be working with a proprietary, non-standard solution at that point. So you would need two bluetooth modules (one for the bike, one for the helmet), a processor and support circuitry for each of the modules, plus ancillary audio circuitry.

I looked at designing just such a thing a couple of years ago, going as far as designing a VOX circuit and Bluetooth support modules, but once I had the overall design done and went to price out what it would cost to build such a thing, the cost was so prohibitive that there was no way it was feasible to produce and sell it.

Charlie Victor

Post by Charlie Victor » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Thank you for this affirmative answer - a bummer that is, but not unexpected.

In my queeste around the mighty web I did come across the -now discontinued- Jabra A-210, which BT-enabled an otherwise non-BT cellphone through the cellphone's 2.5 mm audio/mic jack.
Given one can find a decent priced unit (I understand they're still quite popular with a/o HAM radio users), I think this could eventually work for the GW's intercom, CB and navi as these are monaural - but not for streaming stereo audio.

Looks like we're stuck with a cable - but what's stuck when it's reliable?

(BTW: Isn't it funny that, with so -too?!- many possibilities to service, modern technology is beaten by a simple old-fashioned cable?)

Charlie Victor

Post by Charlie Victor » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Charlie Victor wrote:...
In my queeste around the mighty web ...

Looks like we're stuck with a cable - but what's stuck when it's reliable?
Technology changes, and fast! Nothing is impossible 8-)

Even before I could dream up a functional design for wireless GoldWing audio and comms, KC WireFree had already come up with the basis for an implementation: the BlueAudio KC-6112 module provides "full stereo streaming with live voice back channel" (3rd page of datasheet).

At the front page the datasheet states under Custom Audio Profiles: "High speed, 3 channel audio -- full stereo streaming with live voice back channel." Looks to me that is exactly what I had in mind.
As per the picture, I understand one needs both a gateway (wired to the vehicle) and a headset (in the helmet) based on this module, for the BT profile is a custom one.

:idea: Now the great question is which manufacturer takes on the challenge to create such a kit - Sena, StarCom, ...?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:18 pm

Charlie Victor wrote:Technology changes, and fast! Nothing is impossible 8-)

Even before I could dream up a functional design for wireless GoldWing audio and comms, KC WireFree had already come up with the basis for an implementation: the BlueAudio KC-6112 module provides "full stereo streaming with live voice back channel" (3rd page of datasheet).

At the front page the datasheet states under Custom Audio Profiles: "High speed, 3 channel audio -- full stereo streaming with live voice back channel." Looks to me that is exactly what I had in mind.
As per the picture, I understand one needs both a gateway (wired to the vehicle) and a headset (in the helmet) based on this module, for the BT profile is a custom one.

:idea: Now the great question is which manufacturer takes on the challenge to create such a kit - Sena, StarCom, ...?
I had a quick look at this - the only problem is that it is a non-standard proprietary profile - meaning that's the only module that will support it. It won't interoperate with any other Bluetooth device from any other manufacturer when using that profile.

You would have to build a headset using this module, and then build the base transmitter using another one of their modules as well.

Charlie Victor

Post by Charlie Victor » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:28 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Charlie Victor wrote:...
... - the only problem is that it is a non-standard proprietary profile - ...
Not much of a problem if both base transmitter and headset are well-engineered, I'd say.

The point is it is not impossible, it can be done... it may take some time, but someone will eventually.

mweddy@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A, 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500FI, 2000 Kawasaki Ninja, 2000 Honda XR400, 1985 Honda XL350, 1997 XR200, 1983 XR200, 2003 XR80, 2003 Honda XR70, 2000 Honda XR50

Post by mweddy@gmail.com » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Until something better comes along, here is what I did:
I bought two Torc helmets with built in Bluetooth, (Blinc). ($100 each). They pair to each other and also to my friend's Sena Bluetooth. Mine also pairs nicely with my Android phone. I listen to the music on my phone, and if I get a call, it overrides the music. When I'm riding with my friend we are able to talk to each other up to about a quarter mile away. At this time, the audio system on the Goldwing is turned off. I never liked having a cable linking me to the bike. It's just something I could never get used to.
Mark in Placerville, CA

BigBill
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by BigBill » Sun May 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Haven't tried that solution yet, but should work with any phone and BT hands free device.
Best thing - it's free, just use your phone and any suitable BT device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rcom&hl=en

bevos12
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by bevos12 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 am

AJ
a great read. But. I have used a Blue Ant F4 for my 1800 and previous 1500 wings. The thing I hate with these bluetooth kits is that 1. they break and like the F4s, they are no longer available. and 2. the batteries don't last long (8hr when new, but that doesn't last). I am ready to bin the bluetooth and go to the bikes intercom system. I take on board what you have said. But isn't there a way to incorporate a fully functional smart phone into the intercom system so that battery life is no longer a problem?
I can do a little electronics but on this scale I am not confident enough to take the dive and make changes.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Bevo

jbowen52
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 HPN
2007 Kawasaki ZX-14
1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Post by jbowen52 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks to some of the discussion, I was able to find that by simply plugging in my phone audio jack to the Aux connector in the left front compartment, it now is audible through the intercom both ways. I am able to both talk and hear the phone once I hit the Aux button. I plan to get a small phone mount and attach it to the left front compartment door so that the Aux cord will reach. Only issue is whether I can answer the phone with gloves on. I tried it and it worked once then didn't work a second time. Must be how I touch the screen with the gloves. I am using a Samsung Galaxy phone. Thanks for the discussion, I had forgotten there was an Aux connector in that front compartment.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:38 pm

jbowen52 wrote:Thanks to some of the discussion, I was able to find that by simply plugging in my phone audio jack to the Aux connector in the left front compartment, it now is audible through the intercom both ways. I am able to both talk and hear the phone once I hit the Aux button. I plan to get a small phone mount and attach it to the left front compartment door so that the Aux cord will reach. Only issue is whether I can answer the phone with gloves on. I tried it and it worked once then didn't work a second time. Must be how I touch the screen with the gloves. I am using a Samsung Galaxy phone. Thanks for the discussion, I had forgotten there was an Aux connector in that front compartment.
There's no facility in that Aux connector to feed audio back to the phone. I suspect what is happening is that the phone is realizing that it has a standard stereo 3-conductor plug inserted into it, not a four-conductor (which includes microphone), and it is using the phone's microphone to pick up sound. That might work while sitting and testing in your garage, but it definitely won't work out on the road, where there is too much wind and engine noise for your phone to pick up anything.

jbowen52
2007 Kawasaki ZX-14
1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Post by jbowen52 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:40 pm

I tried it again (in the garage) and had the phone shut into the left side compartment with the cover latched closed. It still seemed to work, so after I road test it, I will advise the result. I have a 2010 GL1800 so don't know if anything was ever changed in the intercom systems. Again thanks for the feedback.

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Post by jinx » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:36 am

Are you the original owner ? I ask because the cable in my left pocket is not going to the AUX input. It has be spliced into the intercom cable and is an output to my Bluetooth transmitter that is keep in that pocket.

jbowen52
2007 Kawasaki ZX-14
1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Post by jbowen52 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:35 am

No I'm not the original owner and the cord was there when I got the bike. It definitely goes to my AUX input as it didn't work until I switched to the AUX setting. It is the model with XM and Navi, so don't know if that makes a difference. I have yet to road test the phone, but by all my testing it seems to work fine, though with the road noise, it may not be as easy to hear, but it clearly functions through the OEM intercom system. I have only added the wired earphones and mic to our helmets and plugged them in.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:38 pm

The plug in your pocket, does it have four conductors like this:

Or is it a standard three conductor like this: