Installing a 2006+ heated seat in a pre-2006 GL1800

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1800
  • Sponsored Links
DonW
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Installing a 2006+ heated seat in a pre-2006 GL1800

Post by DonW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:25 pm

I've seen a few posts on this but didnt see one that outlined the process in detail. I decided to document my installation & share it to hopefully help someone traveling down the same road as I was... I got a crazy deal on an ebay auction for a new Mustang heated seat, but it was for 2006 & up GL1800's. The seat had a scuff in the material under the lip where it couldn't be seen, and I suspect it was a reject that Mustang couldn't sell as new. Whatever! The defect can't be seen at all and I got it for about 1/3 of the cost of a factory perfect one! Here's how I installed it in my 2002...

The connector on the Mustang seat is designed to connect to the OEM Honda connector on the bike. Pins 1 & 2 on the right with the 2 YELLOW wires are the heating pad for the driver's seat. The 5th pin from the right (BLUE) and the 9th pin (also BLUE, on the back row, 2nd from the left) go to the heating pad for the passenger seating position. If you have a genuine Honda seat, or another brand, the wires may not be the same color as mine, but if it's designed to fit the 2006 & later Gl1800 "comfort" package bikes, the wire positions are the same... 1&2=driver, 5&9=passenger

I clipped this connector off completely which then separated the 2 wiring pigtails leading into the seat... One for the driver & one for the passenger. For the driver pigtail, I clipped back all other wires I wouldn't be using, leaving only the 2 yellow wires protruding from the flexible plastic jacket that Mustang encased each pigtail in.
To control the heat, I had previously purchased 2-10 amp PWM's (Pulse Width Modulators) from a Chinese ebay seller for $8.99 each. There are tons of these available on eBay... Search for "12v PWM". I bought 10 amp PWM's, but after doing some testing, I may have been able to save some space by buying the slightly smaller 5 amp PWM's, as I found that I am able to run the passenger seat & heated backrest on a single circuit with a 5 amp fuse. Your mileage may vary. I chose to get my PWM's from China because (a.) They're cheaper, and (b.) I didn't mind waiting 2-3 weeks for them to arrive. What this device does is allows you to send 12 volts to the seat in pulses, and allows you to control the frequency of pulses by varying it similar to a volume control on a stereo... The more you turn it up, the louder(hotter) it gets.

Now I had to find a place to put it that was out of the weather... I'm only going to show you the installation for the passenger control because it was the tough one... To install the driver controls, use the same steps, but find a different spot. For the passenger PWM, I chose the left rear storage pocket below the speaker. I mounted it upside down in the top of the compartment. This should keep it dry, and it's semi out-of-the-way.

I mounted the control knob in the bottom of the unit... This was a little tricky, as I had to use a heated screwdriver to melt away some of the plastic from the inside to give me a flat spot to mount the control.

This turned out to be a great place for it though... Right next to (and protected by) the passenger grab handle.

This PWM doesn't have an off position, or at least the control potentiometer doesn't "click" off. Because of that, I wanted to put in a switch that would cut power to the PWM completely. I got lucky & found a great place for that as well... On the upper inside-facing edge of the enclosure.

This is easily reached by the passenger, but cant be inadvertently hit or switched on/off by the passengers body. The switch I chose is a mini rectangular toggle with an internal led that lights up when the switch is in the on position. I used a hot x-acto knife (kept heating & reheating with a torch) to cut out the opening for this switch.

Getting late, I'll pick up tomorrow with a few more pictures & wiring specifics! Hope someone gets some use out of this.
Don Warren

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Re: Installing a 2006+ heated seat in a pre-2006 GL1800 -Par

Post by jinx » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:49 am

Nice thread thanks for the share. Looking forward to the rest for the install. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am

Great install (and deal)! I'm going to move this thread into the How-To forum for GL1800's.

A couple things I probably would have done:

Add a layer or two of heat-shrink tubing over the wire connections on the potentiometer:

This would strengthen the connections and prevent them breaking if the ribbon cable got snagged, and also prevent the pot connections from being shorted out by water or any metallic object dropped down in there.

The other thing would be to encase the PWM circuit itself before installing it - again to prevent accidentally shorting it out.

Interesting that there are fair sized heat sinks on the (what I assume are) transistors. When I built my heat controller circuit (as well as my LED dimming circuit) - both of which are PWM circuits - I used MOSFETs, the main reason being that they generate very little heat when conducting zero or full - which is exactly what a PWM circuit does. I ended up not needing to heat sink any of them in my circuit.

DonW

Post by DonW » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks! Re: the pot, I'm planning to seal the back of it with silicone sealant. That will make the inside water-tight, but it won't be impossible to dig it out, should the need ever arise. I'm not too worried about the ribbon cable, as the majority of it is underneath the actual storage compartment & it can't be accessed. Inside the storage compartment, I've encased the wires in plastic wire loom to prevent them from getting snagged. I'll post some other photos later to show how I've dealt with the wires inside the box, as well as the actual wiring details. Re: the PWM, I may end up getting a smaller, more aerodynamic model (ha ha), now that I know the circuit draw is less than 5 amps. I didn't want to encase this one, because I wasn't sure how much those heat sinks needed to breathe. There are a plethora of choices of inexpensive PWM's on ebay... I liked this one because the pot was detached, which allowed me to mount it away from the PWM. More to come!

P.S... great job on the LED lighting... you obviously have way too much time on your hands!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:14 pm

DonW wrote:Thanks! Re: the pot, I'm planning to seal the back of it with silicone sealant. That will make the inside water-tight, but it won't be impossible to dig it out, should the need ever arise. I'm not too worried about the ribbon cable, as the majority of it is underneath the actual storage compartment & it can't be accessed. Inside the storage compartment, I've encased the wires in plastic wire loom to prevent them from getting snagged. I'll post some other photos later to show how I've dealt with the wires inside the box, as well as the actual wiring details. Re: the PWM, I may end up getting a smaller, more aerodynamic model (ha ha), now that I know the circuit draw is less than 5 amps. I didn't want to encase this one, because I wasn't sure how much those heat sinks needed to breathe. There are a plethora of choices of inexpensive PWM's on ebay... I liked this one because the pot was detached, which allowed me to mount it away from the PWM. More to come!

P.S... great job on the LED lighting... you obviously have way too much time on your hands!
I would run the thing at various temperature settings and see if the heat sinks get warm at all, and make your decision based on that.

As for way too much time on my hands - quite the opposite! Which is why that project got put off for over two years before I did it! :)

DonW

Post by DonW » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Ok, a day later than expected but here's the rest of the install...
This is a shot inside the compartment showing the wiring of the switch & PWM.
I have since extended the black wire loom all the way up to the switch. Sorry, this pic is rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Taking the wires down the left side of the compartment worked great, as they exit the bottom in a perfect place to get them under the seat & frame rails

I kept them encased in wire loom all the way over to the fuse panel, while allowing the 2 wires for the passenger seat pigtail to branch out at about the halfway point. I joined the pigtail to these using watertight crimp sleeves.

Just before the attachment to the accessory terminals on the fuse panel, I attached a watertight inline fuse holder with a 5 amp fuse. This pic is 90 degrees counterclockwise... (Got a new phone yesterday & still not used to the camera!)

Last but not least, here's my redneck drawing of a wiring schematic... I was going to get fancy & do something a little more presentable at work today, but time didn't allow... Oh well, this should explain it.

Overall, I'm really happy with the way this turned out. I think the switch positions couldn't be better and are easily accessible by the passenger. I may eventually decide to replace the PWM's with smaller & more efficient MOSFET units. The ones I have work great and cost a whopping $8.99 each, so I may wait & see how long they last! I hope this info helps someone who wants to tackle this on their own. This forum is a great resource & I'm happy to be able to contribute!

nsjoe
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Re: Installing a 2006+ heated seat in a pre-2006 GL1800

Post by nsjoe » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:22 am

Nice work, Don. I'm the guy you wrote this article for. I've had a heated aftermarket seat on my 2002 for several years, with no controls to make it work. Now I have the directions. I do suffer from WingAdmin's issue of no spare time, but this seems like a project that may get pushed towards the front of the line.
Joe
Darksider #493

DonW

Post by DonW » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:27 pm

nsjoe wrote:Nice work, Don. I'm the guy you wrote this article for. I've had a heated aftermarket seat on my 2002 for several years, with no controls to make it work. Now I have the directions. I do suffer from WingAdmin's issue of no spare time, but this seems like a project that may get pushed towards the front of the line.
Thanks, and good luck with your install! I spread mine out over a few days, but if you plan it all out ahead of time & have all the parts lined up & ready to go, you can probably have 2 warm butts in about an 8 hour day! If you decide on the same mounting location as I did, one thing worth mentioning.... when I mounted the PWM upside down in the storage compartment, the screw heads were too thick & rubbed on the trunk hinges above them. This was preventing the storage compartment from moving all the way up into place, and didn't allow me to re-insert the mounting screws from inside the trunk. I took a grinder & ground the heads down to about a 1/16" thickness, which resolved the problem. If I had it to do over, I'd probably choose a flat tapered head screw that would pull itself down into the plastic a bit. It didn't take much grinding at all, but just thought I'd point out that if the screw heads are sticking up too tall, they can interfere... Happy trails!

kspokesfan
Motorcycle: 93 Aspencade, 02 GL1800

Post by kspokesfan » Sun May 31, 2015 11:14 am

I want to say thanks for the great info on this subject. I was looking for just this type of installation.