How to install brake light flasher

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1800
  • Sponsored Links
Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

How to install brake light flasher

Post by Paulcf » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi, I purchased a Brake Light Pro kit from our friends at WingStuff. It is a programmable brake light flasher module (item # HTBLPU01 if you want to look it up on their website) manufactured by Heal Tech Electronics.

Problem is that I am colour blind and I can't get my wife to check the wires since I have no idea where (or what wires) I am supposed to splice this thing into! And my wife will get mad at me buying something else for my Goldwing!

Anyways, does anyone have any experience installing this device that can help me get it done quickly, safely and correctly? Thanks.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: How to install brake light flasher

Post by redial » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:10 pm

With the aid of a multimeter or a globe with a wire soldered to the positive (the silver/lead bit on the base), you should be able to follow the instructions contained in the attached installation brochure from Heal Tech. Let us know how you go.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/doc ... ual_en.pdf
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:42 am

This is an install with great pictures that I found on a Google search:

He used a different brand of brake light flasher, but for the most part they all work the same: input, output, ground. In the picture above, the input from the brake switch is connected to the blue wire, the connection to the brake lights is the red wire, and black is ground. On the Healtech, the input from the brake switch is the red wire, connection to the brake lights is green, and black is ground.

The grey connector with the brake wire on it can be found under the passenger seat, on the right side, above the fender:

Once the cover is peeled back, the connection you want is green with a red stripe:

This green wire with the red stripe (and silver rings) is the one that is cut:

The input side is the side of the wire still attached to the connector. The side of the wire running off into the jacketed cover goes to the brake lights:

Once finished, it all gets tucked away:

The idea of using bullet connectors is nice, but I typically wouldn't be removing this item, so I would likely solder and shrink-wrap my connections, to make them permanent and oxidation-proof.

Paulcf

Post by Paulcf » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:54 pm

Wow, thank you both of you for your replies! This is awesome and thanks WingAdmin for the photos too. I'm going to have to print this off and get my wife to pick the right wire just to be sure.
Sorry for the delay, I was busy off site re work and only got a chance to login today. THANK YOU! (And yes, I'll post a follow up to let you know how it went!). :)

Paulcf

Post by Paulcf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:25 pm

It's installed! It works! A few tweaks and an extra pair of hands helped me get it installed. I can now help anyone else who wants to install this on their GL1800, thanks to our most helpful Admin to get me on the right track! Thank you!

I used tube type wire connectors and then wrapped them in black electrical tape just to make sure no water gets in.

Finally, my Goldwing is equipped the way I want, until Wingstuff lists some more farkles! LOL!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Does anyone know if these flashers still available? The website is not responding to Add to Cart input.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

mm2947
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing HPNA / Cabernet Red (Audio, Comfort, Nav, ABS)

Post by mm2947 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:03 pm

The Healtech Brake Light Pro BLP-U01 is still available at Wingstuff and I am about to install it. Thank you for all the help and from Admin especially.

Regarding my 2006 GL1800 Navi, ABS model: My question is that although I agree that the dark green wire with red striping and a silver band around it is the correct brake light wire to cut for one side of my saddlebag brake light, the other bag wire is the same dark green wire with red stripe but without the silver band. The brake light wire colors for my 2 trunk lights are the same as the 1st saddlebag or dark green/red stripe/silver band.
Q 1: How is it that the BRAKE LIGHT connection only has to be made with the one green/red stripe/silver band wire and not the other colors? Are all 4 rear brake light wires connected together somewhere else on the bike before they reach the harness shown in the pictures under the seat?
Q 2: Also, the GROUND WIRE is shown going to another bundle of wires in another harness on the other side of the bike for some reason (and there isn't a close up of that in the pictures). Where is it going and what color wire is it going to? My ground wires on the two saddlebag lights have the same color matching inconsistency as the brake light wires. On one side the ground is light brown/white stripe/silver band (to match the first one mentioned in the brake light section above) and the other one is light brown/white stripe and no band. However, my trunk ground wires are both dark green/silver band (instead of just dark green).

I don't want to start with this until I can tell I'm not cutting things unnecessarily.

Mike

Paulcf

Post by Paulcf » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:43 pm

I used a needle to pierce the insulation on the wire and to carefully test the wire to ensure I had the right one. The wires all look the same to me and especially when they are all dusty/dirty.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:53 am

Paulcf,
After you have done your needlepoint ;) , make sure you seal the holes up again, otherwise dirt and dust and moisture may cause you future issues that may be difficult to find under the dust and dirt.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.