How to install a backup starter switch.

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1800
  • Sponsored Links
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

How to install a backup starter switch.

Post by Big Blue UK » Wed May 25, 2016 9:54 am

Have you ever pushed the starter in cold weather to hear nothing but a click, and you stand feathering the switch hoping the motor spins. I have, and have read others have, and the fixes such as adding solder to the start switch contacts etc. The last time it happened to me was when I used it once in November when it was quite cold, and that was the last time. I only use Big Blue a few times after November. So I decided to install a secondary or backup starter to see what was what. A nice crisp frosty January morning, I pushed Big Blue out the garage for about 1 hour, pushed the starter and sure enough just a click, pushed the secondary starter button I installed and hey presto. did the same that night with the same outcome.

This is my all weather reliable backup start switch, no spraying or stripping the start switch.

I purchased a stainless steel marine starter button

and wired it in parallel with the handlebar starter switch. Simple 2 wire connection, I fitted the backup starter button to the side of the ignition and speaker cover, ensuring the marine starter body would not contact the ignition body when I replaced the cover.

This is how I wired the marine starter switch. I found the easiest splice locations to be near the ignition relay, and the connector near starter relay A.
as can be seen in the diagram I put together, the marine starter works in exactly the same way as the handlebar starter, on the same wiring, just in a different place.

It does not cut off the headlights as the handlebar start switch does, but it starts the engine when all you get is a click from the handlebar start switch when it is really cold. I disconnected the headlight supply wire from the fuse panel and took it to a switch on a master cylinder switchbank, so I can turn off the headlights if I wish. Comes in handy when I have to have the IGN on, or at Light Parades when I need all the juice I can get during static displays. Especially with a 250W RMS amp running quad Polk speakers and a 8" subwoofer.

I hope this helps anyone who has the same cold weather starter switch problem.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Fastfreddy
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800 Honda trike

Re: How to install a backup starter switch.

Post by Fastfreddy » Thu May 26, 2016 10:37 pm

Really nice back-up switch idea.

Jambriwal
Motorcycle: 2014 gl Valkyrie 1800 c

Post by Jambriwal » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Great post, I may consider doing this because my 2014 gold wing Valkyrie gave me that very problem last year on vacation.
We had stopped for gas and everyone restarted and left , I hit the starter button 10 times and nothing. So i backpedaled the bike up a slight incline to bump start and hit the button twice more and it fired.
Once more on this ride i had to hit the button several times to start. Rest of the season no problems.
Thanks for your post.
Jim

Fastfreddy
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800 Honda trike

Post by Fastfreddy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 am

Thanks for posting, really great solution. Saving this one for sure. ;)