Back when I discovered water in my oil, I thought it was a head gasket, since there was no water coming from the weep hole, turns out the hole was just clogged up with gunk and it was leaking water after all. Soooo... got a front end seal kit, OEM pump off eBay and read the how to about 50 times
Took Friday off to do the job, when I got the water pump cap off, discovered it had the original bakelite impeller which could be moved side to side about 1/4 inch! Once I got it out I took it apart and the rear bearing was loose, all the seals were shot and the front ball bearings were loose inside the pump!
Got it all back together, took me about 6 hours altogether and everything went smoothly, thanks to WingAdmin's excellent tutorial. The most time-consuming part was the cleaning, lots of sludge & "mayo" in there, plus getting the sealing surfaces clean without wrecking them.
Beautiful weather yesterday so I took it for a 127 mile ride up in the hills, no problems and no drips on the driveway this morning.
Freeway from Sunnyvale to southern San Jose, Back roads to Gilroy, up to Mt/ Madonna, down to Watsonville, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Felton, Boulder Creek, Saratoga, freeway back to Sunnyvale... great ride!
Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
- Sponsored Links
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Site Admin
- Posts: 17046
- Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
- Location: Strongsville, OH
- Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer
Excellent! Success! You're right, the longest part of the job is the cleaning of the mess in there.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests