Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Need help with feedback on CB Radio

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:44 pm

PastoT wrote:I had terrible feed back howls and screeches when I install my Evolution CB. Until that point I had no mic input for intercom, etc. The issue was intermittent and with my GPS feeding into my intercom circuit I rarely turned it on, but al of a sudden I had howling feedback as soon as I turned on my intercom. I found an issue with the headset pigtails that I had never used, except for a point to connect audio out to my UClear transmitter. It took a lot of messing around, but discovered the audio in line for the mic and one of the audio out (left or right makes no difference actually) were cross wired so audio out was connected to mic in! I corrected the driver pigtail at the 6 point connector and then had to repeat it for the passenger pigtail. Feedback vanished for obvious reasons, how the heck that happened I'm not sure but I checked pin outs and they were wired exactly reverse and it resulted in one audio out feeding directly into the mic in wire! I found several pin-out on the internet and one was such that visually it was correct, but the verbiage was wrong, so I'm guessing the PO had to tinker to install his system and plugged the pins into the connector reversed. Anyway I could easily see how a frayed/loose wire on those connectors could be cross feeding audio out to audio in; perhaps even repaired with the same errant guidance. I had tapped audio off the front pigtail and used the same pin out and once that 3.5mm connection was plugged into my transmitter it completed the errant connection from audio out to mic in. All good now though it was a pain to figure out why and where; don't even care how at this point - its good.

The pigtail connectors are the same on the GL1500 and the GL1800 - except that they are wired in reverse. Sounds like you had GL1500 pigtails on your bike, or someone wired yours by looking at the GL1500 pinout.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:18 pm

Holy cow WingAdmin, that would certainly explain it exactly!
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Luvenet47
Motorcycle: 1976 Liberty series Sportster (sold)
2007 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike

Post by Luvenet47 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:46 am

:shock: Damn! I was about to offer a little feedback of my own but sounds like there are some pretty tecky guys on the line here. I go with the double transmission: one hardware and the other with the wireless. Can only have one.
Luvenet

Luvenet47
Motorcycle: 1976 Liberty series Sportster (sold)
2007 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike

Post by Luvenet47 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:47 am

...that was supposed to be HARDWIRE not hardware. Damn spellcheck!
Luvenet

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 pm

If i may add,
i am thinking about going FM on my GW and dismantle this CB ,
get rid of the noises and switch at clear FM with 2-3 watts,,no need for more.

Maybe an radio like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-MXT100-M ... B00Z7XNWAK

modify an UHF mobile to resonate and go i am business .

we would have ALL GW operaters to stay ON THE AIR at a certain frequency or channell as they used to say .

Many truckers around here have switched Simplex FM now and talking to them ,,,they all love it.

Dont need a repeater,,just simplex

Gef