Any updates on de-rusting fuel tanks?

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
praxis
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Any updates on de-rusting fuel tanks?

Postby praxis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:06 pm

New to the forum and restoring 85 Goldwing.
I've found an article by MJSantos on cleaning gas tanks using electrolysis. Additional search on the web reveals similar, basic methods of fuel tank cleaning with very little deviation from Mr. Santos' article. The Goldwing I'm working on has been sitting in a garage for the last 6 years and I'm primarily concentrating on the fuel delivery system. Its stripped down, carbs off, and gas tank pulled out. However, before I begin to de-rust and clean the tank, I wanted to double check with the members of this forum in an effort to determine if this information is still current, and also determine if there might be other ways of cleaning the fuel tank. I have to add that while there might be more ways of doing this, tank cleaning, this method of using electrolysis has caught my eye. Just my opinion of course but know that I would welcome yours as well.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: Any updates on de-rusting fuel tanks?

Postby SteveB123 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I've used the POR-15 http://www.canada-por15.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CTRK&Category_Code=TankSealers kit on a previous Suzuki, and was VERY pleased with the results. Cleans, etches, and seals the inner tank surface, so fuel never touches the steel again.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi,
I looked into the various ways of derusting the tank on my 1500, which had stood for 7 or more years, then I went and bought a used tank of ebay. Cost £40 inc postage problem solved............apart from the hassle of fitting it.

Sid

praxis

Postby praxis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Reply to SteveB123-Thank you for the link and advise :D
Reply to Sidcar- Thank you for the time you've taken to reply

Both replies are possibilities. One of the reasons I wanted to try the electrolysis method is because its the cheapest method I've found. Can't say its the best of course. And the best method is probably the last one I will need to try. Yes, as SteveB pointed out, there are chemicals out there which might "do the trick" and around 50 dollars seems to be the price of several brands of chemicals. Also, as Sidcar pointed out, get a used one on e-bay and just be done with it. Both good ideas and I thank you for sharing your experiences.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:33 pm

I had a gentleman tell me that he de-rusted the gas tank on his bike with a mixture of pea gravel and white vinegar, then a rinse with hot water and a coating of engine oil. He had good results with this method.
The rocks are the abrasive, the vinegar must etch the metal, the hot water to rinse away the residue and the oil to protect the metal.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:22 am

I would think the first time fuel is put in the tank, the oil "protection" would disappear.. ??

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 am

I think that de-rusting without a sealant is a waste of time. The metal is now pitted and will rust over in a short time. Por-15 is what I used with excellent results. 8 years and still no rust.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:06 am

The POR kit has pretty universal strong positive reviews.

NOT the case with Kreem.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:25 am

SteveB123 wrote:The POR kit has pretty universal strong positive reviews.

NOT the case with Kreem.

Kreem has a tendency to soften, sag and peel if gasoline with ethanol is left in over the winter. Before ethanol, it was the only thing anyone used, but not anymore. I have used POR15 for other applications such as stopping rust on metal fenders and frames, and it really works well, so I would trust their fuel tank cleaner/coating. I have absolutely no knowledge of the electrolysis method.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

praxis

Postby praxis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Trike Lady- Thank you! I like the way you broke down the method. I've encountered other articles which describe a similar breakdown in the steps needing to be considered in de-rusting a tank. First is some method of using an abrasive, I've read of using sand, glass, assorted nuts and bolts, and ball bearings. Second consideration is usually some active agent like vinegar, or any other product with an acidic base. Next is some method used to neutralize the action of an acid, much like developing a photographic print where water is used to stop the continued process on silver. Lastly, some method of preventing flash rusting, or some type of sealant, or retardent, usually petroleum based which can emulsify in fuel. Thanks :D

prc
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:18 am

My '82 Interstate tank needs to be derusted soon, Im thinking of going the vinegar route.
It seems that letting it soak for 2 days and then rinsing with baking soda is a proven method.
The tank is going to stay on the bike for this procedure so Im wondering how to best rinse out the baking soda after it drys out?
Can I harm my petcock innards by doing this?
I have both compressed air and a wet/dry vac at the ready.
Thanks for any help.
Phil

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 am

Two words.......Metal Rescue. its the simplest and most effective method out there. Anyone who has tried the stuff is amazed at how it works. It doesnt damage anything if you spill it, you dont have to shake it, you can leave it in there for a day or a week and it makes no difference, and you can just pour it out when its done working ,blow the tank out and fill er with gas. Done...

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Metal Rescue sounds good but I just looked at their instructions for motorcycle gas tanks and Step 1 says to remove the tank from the bike, something I would rather not do.
I have an injured right thumb so heavy work like removing the rear wheel to get to the tank is very time consuming and frustrating.
Besides that, I just put the wheel, brake caliper, master cylinder, and pipes back on 2-3 weeks ago! :lol:

Guess I shoulda checked the tank condition before I did that, oops.
If I have to pull the tank I will but trying to work around it, thank goodness I have another bike, dry days are rare around here and I want to make the most of the 12, 14 weeks of nice weather we have left in 2013.
Thanks for the tip.
Phil

Fulcrum

Postby Fulcrum » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:50 pm

You don't have to remove the tank. If you buy 1 gallon and then insert something into the tank for ballast, like a trash bag and then fill it with air to displace the volume, a gallon can cover the entire tank and little effort on your part. Simple!

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 pm

That is a good, simple solution to getting the cleaner of choice to contact all of the interior tank surface, I will remember that.
For the last few days I have been prepping my KLR to ride it to Calif for a Classic Japanese MC show at the end of this month.
So every time I go out to the garage to take care of something on the Kawi, my attention is distracted by the Goldwing and what it would take to get the rear wheel, final drive, etc off to get to that tank.....hmmmm :|
Thanks for your input
Phil

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Just checked out the Metal Rescue website, basic instructions for gas tanks look EASY.
Fill the tank with Metal Rescue, wait X amount of hours and then drain the tank..and fill with gas?
No sealant required?
Thats it?
Sounds too good to be true (but I may be receptive to miracles at this time) and far easier than pulling the tank out.
I am concerned about the petcock seal and looked at prices for a new one, the fiche shows the petcock and seal sold as one unit.
At $32.99 from BikeBandit I guess its not too bad but my petcock seems fine so Id rather only replace the seal.
Thanks for the info
Phil

Fulcrum

Postby Fulcrum » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:46 pm

It actually is that simple. I used a gallon on my tank, but I did remove it and then rotated the tank every 8 hours for 2 days for complete coverage. If you go to my thread Scotts 1982 Gl1100 rebuild I took some pics of it working on my gas cap and sending unit. I swear by this stuff cause it is soo easy and does such a great job. Just wish I knew about it sooner.

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:52 pm

I finally decided to just go ahead and pull the fuel tank out of the bike.
Next I took it to the car wash and blasted it with the pressure washer, through in some tub n shower cleaner (The Works) rinsed it out again and it looked really good in there. I didnt want to get ahead of myself and put the tank back in without a second opinion so...
Well.. lets just say that I did not get as much out as I thought I did and its at the local independent shop getting a muriatic acid bath in the next few days. When he removed the sending unit I got a good look at what I missed, looks like really nasty burnt pizza cheese to me.
Alot of work trying to get 2 bikes prepped for a N.W. riding season (June 27th-Aug 19th) in one week but Im glad I buckled and pulled the tank.
A thorough job is worth the hassle and a few $20 bills knowing the fuel system is clean and I can move on to the other 149 items on the "to do" list on this bike.
Thanks for your input
PC

Return to “Tech Talk”